[ROM] CM7.1-final, Deodexed, 2.6.35 kernel

Search This thread
Putting this up for those who've been inquiring...I simply integrated bits & pieces for the legend to improve what is already an awesome rom. I take no credit for this. Doesn't hurt to hit the thanks button though if this helps ;).

screen_20111014_final.png

How's this different from CM7?
  1. 2.6.35 kernel (boots by default to 768/256-interactive; max=806, min=120)
  2. smartass & smartass2 governors
  3. compache/swap
  4. deodexed & zip-aligned
  5. tweaks for deodexed rom and sd read-ahead (3072 by default)
  6. removed rom manager & some default themes/wallpapers
  7. moved file manager to /data/app
  8. modified lock screen icons
  9. flying-in menu animations
  10. TGF's notification bar (notbar) patch integrated

What doesn't work/untested?
  • wifi tethering - activating them produces an error & breaks wife, in which case, a reboot is required

• gps

Is this faster than CM?
can't claim that as i don't see a big jump in quad/linpack scores, though there are improvements & it does feel snappier (I may be biased though). you decide...

full rom here: DOWNLOAD
flash attached:
drowningkernel-8-9-1_mod1.zip
kernel w/ the last three items above included for flashing unto cm7
drowningkernel-8-9-1_mod.zip
just the kernel

CAUTION

• do backup before doing anything
  • see alex' comments, post #9
  • if you encounter reboots/freeze (not getting this myself though) & wanna revert to your original/stock kernel, simply advance restore boot only
  • usual liability disclaimer applies

feedback is/are most welcome! if you have questions on TGF's notbar patch, please post on that thread instead.

CREDITS
  • cyanogen/cm team
  • alex
  • drowningchild (kernel)
  • tosha15 (compatible modules)
  • TGF
  • Serris (animations)
  • ZduneX25 (lockscreen icons)

Attachments

• drowningkernel-8-9-1_mod.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 264
  • drowningkernel-8-9-1_mod1.zip
    5 MB · Views: 305
Last edited:

elk2210

Sep 16, 2010
Berlin
The drowningkernel-8-9-1_mod.zip works fine with CM7.1.0 for me. THX a lot!
I like your lockscreen-icons and the statusbar-patch, but not the flying-in-animation, so I flashed the non-modified one.

What governors do you prefer? I'm using interactive, but never had a smartass/smartass2 kernel on my phone. Does one of these two give me advantages over interactive?
Or can you give me some details about smartass/smartass2 Min-Max-values for the legend?

Last edited:
What governors do you prefer? I'm using interactive, but never had a smartass/smartass2 kernel on my phone. Does one of these two give me advantages over interactive?
Or can you give me some details about smartass/smartass2 Min-Max-values for the legend?
you could learn more about it here. i'm using 806/122-smartass2. if you try to underclock below stock 245, it seems only the smartass governors give a quick response from sleep.

ali ba

Retired Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Vienna
derhofbauer.at
Just a small comment regarding kernel 2.6.35:

In my tests 2.6.35 was not significantly (or at all) faster than .32, neither could I observe improved battery life.

What actually held us back implementing .35 were the crappy WLAN and missing access point drivers. The sources HTC released are significantly broken - even for their original target "Espresso", and this is still a clear violation of the GPL (the sources they used to compile tiwlan_drv for Espresso/Legend are not at all equivalent to what they released).

That being said, if you don't care about WLAN at all you can use 2.6.35. I seriously wouldn't recommend that kernel though and would request you to add a warning to your post to make sure people don't start to complain about random reboots in CyanogenMod.

Reactions: maxq1

Sesme

Jan 20, 2011
Toletvm
if you deodex rom ... take data space after install ... cm 7 179mb free data ... your rom ... ... less

Bad bad bad...

^ i couldn't quite get what you're saying, man. did it drop down to <100mb?!? i'm no expert or dev but is that an effect of deodexing? if any, i just moved file mananger (a couple of kb, i guess). in any case, most of you will be using some sort of apps/data..2..sd/ext anyway. kindly enlighten...

File does not exist!
frown.gif
hmm..link works just fine from where i'm at..try again, bro

filipathtc

Jun 30, 2011
Okay,now it's working I think Megaupload was just down....Okay I test it now :)

Sent from my HTC Legend using XDA App

Rapier

Forum Moderator
Staff member
^ i couldn't quite get what you're saying, man. did it drop down to <100mb?!? i'm no expert or dev but is that an effect of deodexing? if any, i just moved file mananger (a couple of kb, i guess). in any case, most of you will be using some sort of apps/data..2..sd/ext anyway. kindly enlighten...
What he wants to say is that, if you deodex rom, there is more space used in system since instead of having apk+odex as separate files you put the odex inside the apk thus ocuppying more space. So for a deodexed ROM you have less space remaining.

Of course since most of us are using some sort of data2ext this is no big deal, I just wanted to "translate"

stevenstrike

May 17, 2009
Toulouse
update your radio!!!

Huh ? This is a known issue caused by crappy Wifi drivers given by htc for Kernel .35 :

In my tests 2.6.35 was not significantly (or at all) faster than .32, neither could I observe improved battery life.

What actually held us back implementing .35 were the crappy WLAN and missing access point drivers. The sources HTC released are significantly broken - even for their original target "Espresso", and this is still a clear violation of the GPL (the sources they used to compile tiwlan_drv for Espresso/Legend are not at all equivalent to what they released).

That being said, if you don't care about WLAN at all you can use 2.6.35. I seriously wouldn't recommend that kernel though and would request you to add a warning to your post to make sure people don't start to complain about random reboots in CyanogenMod.

BTW Radio has nothing to do with wifi.

Edit : Plus my radio is up to date !
Edit Plus : I tried this rom (K.35) and official 7.1 Rom (K.32) and i found that the both kernels have the same issue, being on K32 or K35 is the same thing for me, i got the same random crashes, which was not the same thing on the old RC1 (which just sometimes crashes when you just power on wifi with sync enabled).
Too bad, Cyanogen 7.1 passed "stable" with this bug.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Putting this up for those who've been inquiring...I simply integrated bits & pieces for the legend to improve what is already an awesome rom. I take no credit for this. Doesn't hurt to hit the thanks button though if this helps ;).

screen_20111014_final.png

How's this different from CM7?
    1. 2.6.35 kernel (boots by default to 768/256-interactive; max=806, min=120)
    2. smartass & smartass2 governors
    3. compache/swap
    4. deodexed & zip-aligned
    5. tweaks for deodexed rom and sd read-ahead (3072 by default)
    6. removed rom manager & some default themes/wallpapers
    7. moved file manager to /data/app
    8. modified lock screen icons
    9. flying-in menu animations
    10. TGF's notification bar (notbar) patch integrated

What doesn't work/untested?
    • wifi tethering - activating them produces an error & breaks wife, in which case, a reboot is required

• gps

Is this faster than CM?
    can't claim that as i don't see a big jump in quad/linpack scores, though there are improvements & it does feel snappier (I may be biased though). you decide...

full rom here: DOWNLOAD
    flash attached:
    drowningkernel-8-9-1_mod1.zip
    kernel w/ the last three items above included for flashing unto cm7
    drowningkernel-8-9-1_mod.zip
    just the kernel

CAUTION

• do backup before doing anything
    • see alex' comments, post #9
    • if you encounter reboots/freeze (not getting this myself though) & wanna revert to your original/stock kernel, simply advance restore boot only
    • usual liability disclaimer applies

feedback is/are most welcome! if you have questions on TGF's notbar patch, please post on that thread instead.

CREDITS
    • cyanogen/cm team
    • alex
    • drowningchild (kernel)
    • tosha15 (compatible modules)
    • TGF
    • Serris (animations)
    • ZduneX25 (lockscreen icons)

Originally Posted by maxq1
    What he wants to say is that, if you deodex rom, there is more space used in system since instead of having apk+odex as separate files you put the odex inside the apk thus ocuppying more space. So for a deodexed ROM you have less space remaining.

Of course since most of us are using some sort of data2ext this is no big deal, I just wanted to "translate"
    good Lord! now THAT i know & understand. sheesh. bad bad bad...thanks for clarifying, man! :D