[APP] ICS SMS Beta [4.0+][UPD July 7]

Search This thread

AzureNightwalker

Jun 15, 2010
England
ICS SMS is a replacement for the stock Messaging app, for those that want the vanilla Holo theme, with or without stock ICS. Currently only supports SMS (Sorry no MMS yet guys!) and aims to provide a minimalistic SMS app, that fits in with the rest of the Ice-Cream Sandwich look and feel.

This app is still in beta, and being actively developed on (unfortunately its not my day job though) so bear this in mind with any feedback!

Download it now from the play store!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidproductions.ics.sms

Any bug reports you have PLEASE attach a logcat of whats going on - it makes the whole process a lot easier!

Any feature requests stick them in a reply here, or get in touch direct, and I'll see about getting it included!

Features
  • usual messaging features - Wouldn't be a messaging app without one!
  • POPUP DIALOG!
  • Customizable notifications
  • 6 Different themes
  • Ability to disable other messaging notifications (NOTE: This doesn't always play well with GoSMS)
  • Notification Privacy Mode - Don't display a received message in notifications
  • 'In reply to...' - See what the last message you sent to a person was - straight from the dialog
  • Call direct from SMS view
  • SMS Forwarding

Willing to do some more involved testing? Send me a PM, and I'll add you to the list of testers that get development versions of the app before it gets put into the market.

Change Logs

03-07-2012
  • Option for lighter icon in notifications

02-07-2012
  • New Theme
  • New notification type
  • Bugfixes

29-05-2012
  • Preliminary MMS integration. Can now view MMS within the app [ALPHA APP ONLY]

Known Issues
  • No notifications/popups for MMS
  • Need to download MMS items from stock messaging app

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-44-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-44-00.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 6,754
  • Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-44-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-44-07.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 6,327
  • Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-44-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-44-17.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 6,261
  • Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-44-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-44-26.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 6,128
  • Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-47-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-47-04.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 6,370
  • Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-48-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-48-16.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 5,945
  • Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-49-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-05-24-08-49-14.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 6,099
Last edited:

alatedseraph

Mar 2, 2012
Outside of a few bugs I am pleasantly suprised by this. Obviously Mms support is a huge must, all these new beta messaging apps coming out also miss Mms support so if you want to beat the rush you better work on that quick. Other than that, using the ics framework background that you do, isnt so nice with the new theme engines as whatever background your using gets some interesting themeing images sometimes.

As a praise im loving the pop up, its almost exactly what im looking for the only thing I would like more is if it it was stretched out to full edge of screen but less width and lifted to the top, like miuis pop up. All the pop up add ons are in the middle nowadays except miui's and miui's does it right.

I also LOVE your in reply too button, being able to see the last thing I said real quick is freaking awesome!

Last edited:

nightang3l

Oct 8, 2008
Brooklyn
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Love the idea of being able to do a quick reply for the pop up instead of pressing reply in order to reply. But it could be better if it could sync the contact pictures (facebook) or maybe have a widget for the app.

AzureNightwalker

Jun 15, 2010
England
Mms is definitely the most requested feature, so that's the next thing that's going to appear in the app. Only problem is that I can't test it myself with my phone plan, so I will have to rely on others for testing. Mms viewing will be the first release, and sending will be second.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Glad to see its appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

OneDeep

Jan 2, 2011
Can you make a reg link to the play store. Can't click pic links using tapatalk or the xda app

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

edgex

Jan 29, 2012
San Francisco
Good, But missing mms and Facebook contact photo sync. Theme and extra features are new otherwise identical feature wise to tim hutts version on market, of which I like the light theme better myself. Also lacks feature of clicking on contact picture in thread to bring up their contact info. I don't care for it but I did notice. Reading white on a black background hurts my eyes. In the theme could you maybe give a light or dark option? At least in thread view, in thread select dark is fine. Maybe consider doing that nice striped background from the aosp dialer or holomusic on background of thread select?

I love devs that keep up on their work and I hope you are working diligently to get mms at least working.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Last edited:

AzureNightwalker

Jun 15, 2010
England

Anthony04x

Jan 18, 2012
Great beta! Agree with mms, but also, EMOJI SUPPORT would make it even better. The ability to switch return key with the android as well as emoji would be better

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

DannyDrama

Dec 18, 2010
Nice app, works very smoothly. The UI is nice too. My only thought is that the font size is a bit large, but overall I'm using it over the stock ics messaging app.

Sent from my GT-I9300

alatedseraph

Mar 2, 2012
Mms is definitely the most requested feature, so that's the next thing that's going to appear in the app. Only problem is that I can't test it myself with my phone plan, so I will have to rely on others for testing. Mms viewing will be the first release, and sending will be second.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Glad to see its appreciated.

Id love to test it for you, my brother and I live together and both have unlimited messaging and plenty of data to spare, we both have gnexus and both are rooted so we are damn similar except he uses go sms. I can be the sender or receiver at any time and actually be using the network or wifi. Send me a PM :)

Edit- the Themes only seem to theme the receiver text and the text in the conversation list. Its nice for someone who doesnt use a custom theme engine but for the most part is a lil outdated, I would suggest opening up a cm9/7 theme engine apk and using the included framework info there so that, your sms app themes with the theme engine, a first since the included sms default app only has like 10% ability to be themed (NOTE - it already does this at like 60%, it just needs alot of clean up so that all themes make it look wonderful). Maybe add this as an option right along with the holo themes you have? Also the pop ups need a Mark as read button so that the Notification will clear from the status bar. And as mentioned before, the worst thing that can happen for a pop up is to pop up right in the middle of everything, move it up and out of the way, and if this is possible, when in landscape mode make it wrap to the top and left borders? I dont know any system that does that, and it moves itself the most out of the way from say a movie or something that your watching on the phone.

Last edited:

havens1515

Apr 5, 2011
Just downloaded it and played with it for a bit. So far, it's looking pretty good!

I know it's still being worked on, but here's a couple feature suggestions:
1) Ability to add multiple contacts to recipients. I send "mass" texts all the time, whether it be to 2 people or 20 people.
2) Ability to set a ring tone or vibration for the notification.

Great start though! Can't wait for mms to be built in, and to see the progression of this app!

alatedseraph

Mar 2, 2012
Using the included phone dialer if I tell it go to SMS it force closes and if I use ex dialer then it goes to a new SMS for existing names. The difference being ex dialer sends it with parentheses and a dash and your SMS app doesn't include those when looking up numbers

AzureNightwalker

Jun 15, 2010
England
Using the included phone dialer if I tell it go to SMS it force closes and if I use ex dialer then it goes to a new SMS for existing names. The difference being ex dialer sends it with parentheses and a dash and your SMS app doesn't include those when looking up numbers

Thanks for the report. Useful information also, i can reproduce it so i will try get a fix over the weekend.

MMS and Emoji Support request also! Awesome:cool:

MMS is being worked on now! Emoji will be coming along afterwards.

Just downloaded it and played with it for a bit. So far, it's looking pretty good!

I know it's still being worked on, but here's a couple feature suggestions:
1) Ability to add multiple contacts to recipients. I send "mass" texts all the time, whether it be to 2 people or 20 people.
2) Ability to set a ring tone or vibration for the notification.

Great start though! Can't wait for mms to be built in, and to see the progression of this app!

Good suggestions! I'll try get these included before too long!

GrenW

Apr 14, 2010
Nice application and a great start. The pop up on its own is enough to make me try this over GO Sms.

Sent from my AOKP'd GNex using xda premium

Deus_eps_machina

Dec 21, 2010
does this app 'parse' the messages if there are too many? like gosms where it only loads a few per thread and if you want to see more you just load them at the top...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ICS SMS is a replacement for the stock Messaging app, for those that want the vanilla Holo theme, with or without stock ICS. Currently only supports SMS (Sorry no MMS yet guys!) and aims to provide a minimalistic SMS app, that fits in with the rest of the Ice-Cream Sandwich look and feel.

This app is still in beta, and being actively developed on (unfortunately its not my day job though) so bear this in mind with any feedback!

Download it now from the play store!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidproductions.ics.sms

Any bug reports you have PLEASE attach a logcat of whats going on - it makes the whole process a lot easier!

Any feature requests stick them in a reply here, or get in touch direct, and I'll see about getting it included!

Features
    • usual messaging features - Wouldn't be a messaging app without one!
    • POPUP DIALOG!
    • Customizable notifications
    • 6 Different themes
    • Ability to disable other messaging notifications (NOTE: This doesn't always play well with GoSMS)
    • Notification Privacy Mode - Don't display a received message in notifications
    • 'In reply to...' - See what the last message you sent to a person was - straight from the dialog
    • Call direct from SMS view
    • SMS Forwarding

Willing to do some more involved testing? Send me a PM, and I'll add you to the list of testers that get development versions of the app before it gets put into the market.

Change Logs

03-07-2012
    • Option for lighter icon in notifications

02-07-2012
    • New Theme
    • New notification type
    • Bugfixes

29-05-2012
    • Preliminary MMS integration. Can now view MMS within the app [ALPHA APP ONLY]

Known Issues
    • No notifications/popups for MMS
    • Need to download MMS items from stock messaging app
    can we get some kind of update azure? Hopin for a new release!

Yeah sorry guys but this has proven more complex than I expected. State of play at the minute - you can view/play any attachments to a mms now, just 2 more bugs to fix and then I'll get this update out. Doesn't notify on mms yet, and download is still handled via stock. They are my 2 next jobs though, and I'll get this update out later so people can have a play

Looks great, I just wish it supported MMS but I will definitely use it when it does!
    I like this soft but its really to slow to display all messages is there a way to optimize this
    Thanks in the advance

Sent from my E10i using xda premium