ICS First Impressions

Search This thread

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
Its going to be a long wait for EU Users i quess, only thing i wanted to know how much languages are available on this one? Does it has Dutch included?

NaKiSm

Apr 22, 2012
Las Vegas
fix for WiFi disconnecting here (free app)

DAMN YOU SONY!!!

Things i hate:
- this annoying wifi keepalive issue is still there!!! there is no way to keep wifi active during standby -.- damned why don't they let us users the choice... there IS an option to set the standby behavior but its still completely useless....

- sometimes there are widget issues (doesn't matter if 3rd party or preinstalled) that widgets change into editor mode when just pressing a button like update... changing screen ang going back will fix this temporarily... had this 2 times now...

- auto brigtness issue still not resolved... in low light the screen is MUCH too dark and when changing from full brightess to automatic it keeps full for a while and then goes down to min

- homescreen lag is still too much in portrait

- forced portrait is still not changable (damn i'm righthanded and want to hold it on the ROUND side when portrait is forced!!!!)

- the new ICS launcher... Sonys previous own launcher had a better overview with the sorting possibilities but ok we can have folders now...

- still no thumb keyboard -.-

things i like:
- media from SD card is now directly available and nut just for transfer... finally i have enough memory also without root and mounting stuff ^^

- the new mini-apps are nice but there is still much potential for more apps

- the new version of "Favorites" App is very nice animated and faster

- ICS possibility to deactivate system apps that are not removable... finally i get this google music player away

- a few other ICS related things...

ALL IN ALL this update is a big disappointement... they updated to ICS, integrated one or thwo new features and that's it??? all the big issues are still there since more than six months!!!!!

Just install the WiFi Lock app from the market/play store. It's free. once installed you must change the settings in the app so it will not permanently disable the WiFi once you're out of range. That's it. After that your WiFi will stay connected forever. :)

Reactions: Mahaco

the_black_dragon

Dec 23, 2008
Just install the WiFi Lock app from the market/play store. It's free. once installed you must change the settings in the app so it will not permanently disable the WiFi once you're out of range. That's it. After that your WiFi will stay connected forever. :)

Yes i already had this. But this is just a useless Workaround! It drains the battery down in less than 30 hours!!! I have to charge it every evening! With other tablets where this works like it should I can use them for 3 days of normal usage! Android gives us the choice so Sony has to activate this option! Nothing else! I

The problem with that app from the market is that it keeps the device awake when you turn off the screen, and it eats through the battery.

On the Android phones I've used (Legend, Desire, Arc S), the WiFi remained connected, but the phone also went to sleep, battery drain was minimal.
This is the behaviour we were expecting to see in the ICS update, but unfortunately it hasn't been fixed...

EXACTLY

Gesendet von meinem Sony Tablet S mit Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

the_black_dragon

Dec 23, 2008
yes and no... it seems that 3rd party apps just have read rights... just the Data transfer application from sony has write rights... thats the next annoying thing because i can just download things only into internal memory and after that i have to move it....

joekrill

May 9, 2010
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Totally agree with NaKiSm. I can not *believe* they didn't fix those major issues (WiFi and brightness issues especially)! Quite ridiculous.

Also:
- Why no face unlock?
- Don't really like the multitasking thing. Seems mostly useless. I wish I could remove those icons entirely. I don't know why they wasted (probably a LOT) of time on that and not those other major issues NaKiSm mentioned.

Overall I'm kind of underwhelmed. I guess I was hoping for a much better performance increase? Not really sure.

Anyone know if they added MHL support? I meant to test that out. I highly doubt it, but would have been nice. Not sure if that's a hardware thing or not, though.

kurtis.austin2

Aug 21, 2009
I've absolutely no screen flicker.Everything smooth as a baby's bum :D

Even when on the homescreen and you open the recently opened apps? Try that and let us know. Or open the browser and click the menu button in the top right corner and while thats open click the recently opened apps button. Any flickering?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA Premium HD app

intellix

Aug 1, 2010
Originally Posted by intellix
My tablet seems to have gone really slow after the ICS update.
I tried a factory restore to ensure that I didnt have too many things installed and decided to start afresh. Didnt help. The tablet is still very slow. While the touch is responsive and I like the features of ICS like slide to dismiss, reading files directly from SD card etc, I definitely donot like the amount of lag I am noticing.

All my apps seem to be really really slow.
My Honeycomb seemed to be far more faster irrespective of all the issues that it had.

Any suggestions anyone?? I am on non rooted US version 16Gb Wifi.
Have you tried going into Settings > Developer Options and tick "Force GPU rendering"?

Apparently I donot have any lag issues any more.
The trick was I needed to restore back to factory settings after updating to ICS. That was I had a ICS tablet without my apps installed. I went in and installed whatever I wanted to (which is a kind of a pain since I thought google would have a backup for me of what all to install from the play store..........just like what happens for my phone).

Anyways, after facing initial lag, I had my apps installed and after 1-2 reboots, the tablet is working absolutely fine. No changes in settings were required.

Will keep working with my tablet this weekend and post issues if any.

Vinny1967

Apr 15, 2011
Rotterdam
Even when on the homescreen and you open the recently opened apps? Try that and let us know. Or open the browser and click the menu button in the top right corner and while thats open click the recently opened apps button. Any flickering?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA Premium HD app

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Only happens with recently opened apps and it's only the icons that flicker.

el0heem

Apr 2, 2009
pittsburg, ca
My entire right side flickers like when you pressed that magic button on old crt monitors. Sucks to use youtube app majorly.

Sent from my LG-P999

cezarL

My whole screen flashes but i dont care, its not that annoying (yet) xD

It's driving me nuts already!

On top of that, Apex Launcher is very laggy (bummer, it was one of the reasons I wanted ICS) and I'm having Superuser issues: apps are granted root access when I open them the first time, but some of them (Drive Mount, for example) won't open later on, they get stuck waiting for Superuser to give them root again. Weird...

Then there's the WiFi turning off thing, and broken auto-brightness... Can't say I'm all that happy with this ICS update...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its going to be a long wait for EU Users i quess, only thing i wanted to know how much languages are available on this one? Does it has Dutch included?

heres the list of languages available from the US version.

http://imageshack.us/f/801/screenshot2012042720265.png/
    It's driving me nuts already!

On top of that, Apex Launcher is very laggy (bummer, it was one of the reasons I wanted ICS) and I'm having Superuser issues: apps are granted root access when I open them the first time, but some of them (Drive Mount, for example) won't open later on, they get stuck waiting for Superuser to give them root again. Weird...

Then there's the WiFi turning off thing, and broken auto-brightness... Can't say I'm all that happy with this ICS update...

wipe the data and it will be all right. i had te same issue..
    Upgraded to ics and my play store keeps crashing. Tried clearing cache and data, then it runs for about 5 min and crashes again...anyone else having similar issues?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Uninstall from settings and go in as market... That fixed it for me...
    DAMN YOU SONY!!!

Things i hate:
    - this annoying wifi keepalive issue is still there!!! there is no way to keep wifi active during standby -.- damned why don't they let us users the choice... there IS an option to set the standby behavior but its still completely useless....

- sometimes there are widget issues (doesn't matter if 3rd party or preinstalled) that widgets change into editor mode when just pressing a button like update... changing screen ang going back will fix this temporarily... had this 2 times now...

- auto brigtness issue still not resolved... in low light the screen is MUCH too dark and when changing from full brightess to automatic it keeps full for a while and then goes down to min

- homescreen lag is still too much in portrait

- forced portrait is still not changable (damn i'm righthanded and want to hold it on the ROUND side when portrait is forced!!!!)

- the new ICS launcher... Sonys previous own launcher had a better overview with the sorting possibilities but ok we can have folders now...

- still no thumb keyboard -.-

things i like:
    - media from SD card is now directly available and nut just for transfer... finally i have enough memory also without root and mounting stuff ^^

- the new mini-apps are nice but there is still much potential for more apps

- the new version of "Favorites" App is very nice animated and faster

- ICS possibility to deactivate system apps that are not removable... finally i get this google music player away

- a few other ICS related things...

ALL IN ALL this update is a big disappointement... they updated to ICS, integrated one or thwo new features and that's it??? all the big issues are still there since more than six months!!!!!
    I can't remember where i read this but i think its fixed in 4.0.4,
    So you must wait for that release, Or wait for de the devs to complete the rooting for unrooted ICS 4.0.3.