10 cents GPS AND WIFI enhancer (and obligatory beer ;-) IMPROVED DESIGN

Search This thread

dingdonggggg

Aug 1, 2007
READ THIS POST AND POST 74 AND FURTHER

Have you ever seen such quality in the GPS signals and the fixes? (picture 1)

Ever since I got my TFP in early January I have been trying to find a way to enhance the GPS and the Wifi. I read just about all the threads on these subjects and tried every tweak. Even the crazy ones ;-) But because of the form factor I wasn't going to drill holes and put antennas on the back (respect guys, awesome work)

It started with a poster that got flamed straight away. He put a phone on the top right hand corner and got a better GPS. I felt sorry for him because everyone treated him like a retard. Just for the sake of being able to put the flamers in their spot I gave his idea a chance.
And it worked!!! But it was not practical. I can't walk around with a phone pressed against my TFP. But it was a start. Something started happening.

Next came the screwdriver trick. Even better result. Then I discovered the paperclip trick. Again improvement. But still not good enough and certainly not stable. It was difficult to reproduce. It became clear to me that positioning was very critical.

On the Wifi side people started enhancing their signal by placing foil the right Wifi antenna. Then they started using beer cans. It worked for some. But for others it didn't work. Theory was that somehow the Wifi signal got shielded forcing the other Wifi antenna to kick in. Tried it. Worked sometimes and at other moments didn't work. But there was something. And again it became clear to me that positioning was very critical.

Furthermore I started fooling around with grounding to the back plate. It had a dramatic effect on Wifi and GPS. As soon as something touches the back plate the signals die. I got the impression that the Wifi and GPS antenna were to close to each other and with all the RF signals they were screwing each other.

But all together there were things happening. I started documenting exact positions and sizes of the tweaks I was applying. Wifi was reasonable for me as long as I had a good base signal. GPS had my attention. I could get an external GPS, I could tether from my phone, I could buy a map, I could ask directions.
But NO!!!!
I wanted the GPS inside the Prime to get a reasonable fix.

It has cost me a lot of hours of trying, tweaking, adapting, and documenting.
But......
I FOUND THE 10 CENTS SOLUTION!!!
You only need to buy a 1 mm stainless steel cable.

Instructions (also see diagram):
1. First get yourself a beer. And drink it (this is the best part)
2. Then cut yourself a square 15x25 mm from the can (carefull)
3. Stick it in the right place onto the glass
4. Make sure it is isolated with electical tape on the topside
5. Place steel cable across the isolated square (I don’t know if this matters but I used 9,75 mm length = 0,5 x wavelength of GPS)
6. Fix it in place with electrical tape
And ......
ENJOY A GOOD GPS (better than my HTC Sensation)

Up to now this is the best result I can get.
Probably sizes and locations can be optimized.
However my experience is that the cable has to extend outside the plane of the TFP. Either vertical or horizontal. As long as it is inside the confines and flat on the glass of the TFP the signal dies instantly
And the electrical tape on top can be exchanged for something better looking.
Customize it like a sticker of a mouse with the tail being the steel cable.
Or a droid sticker with antenna ears upwards.

Outside and in the car I get a 4 second lock and after 10 seconds 15 sats and 10 locked. Inside has improved but not really good enough.
I have reset the prime before testing, cleared AGPS and Wifi off.

I hope you guys enjoy and appreciate my solution.
And if someone finds a better or more elegant solution please post.
Have fun

Oh I forgot to mention. The trick also works with the paperclip. Use a small paperclip. When straightened the length is 95 mm. Also works. I turned to the steel cable because I wanted something flexible.

Last edited:

mtotho

Oct 29, 2010
Union, NJ
very cool.

I currently have a beer can piece myself on my prime
-not as precise as yours, but it improves my wifi

Attachments

• IMG_20120223_123310.jpg
    IMG_20120223_123310.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 2,632

yoursexyhero

Jan 28, 2010
You guys are awesome....I've been looking for this all day..... a reason to drink beer tonight ^_^ oh and a possible gps solution without opening my TFP

dingdonggggg

Aug 1, 2007
Does yours maintain GPS lock while moving at highways speeds?
YEP
Perfect turn by turn navigation.
On the highway about 10 locks and in urban area a minimum of 6 locks.
And all the time average 14 sats in sight.
I have not tried it yet in an area with very tall buildings.
I think the highest buildings during my tests were 6 floors.

Reactions: wynand32

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
If this can be independently verified (and sounds like it can be), then someone could definitely make a little money with this. Not enough to retire on, but a little spending money.

A question: could this be made into something that could clip onto the Prime and so be easily added/removed? While I wouldn't tape anything to my Prime, I'd clip something on it if I were to want GPS to work (which I don't actually, but being speculative here).

dingdonggggg

Aug 1, 2007
If this can be independently verified (and sounds like it can be), then someone could definitely make a little money with this. Not enough to retire on, but a little spending money.

A question: could this be made into something that could clip onto the Prime and so be easily added/removed? While I wouldn't tape anything to my Prime, I'd clip something on it if I were to want GPS to work (which I don't actually, but being speculative here).
Yes can be done.
I have been trying some solutions myself.
But the positioning turned out to be a critical factor.
Had to work that out first.
Wanted to share those results first.
But some sort of minimized and customisable clip on device would be nice.
Either pimped or just simple

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
I'm thinking you could use a simple clip like we use at home for potato chip bags. Line the inside of one part of the clip with the require metal, add in the wire, and then you could simply clip it on when you need GPS. Those clips aren't particularly strong, either, so no worries about damaging the Prime.

I might give this a shot myself this week, if I get some time.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
The 12 Steps to ruin.... and a Hangover

My attempt (not really but could be fun)

• 1. Drink one can, cut open and place on screen.
    Tape was too old. Can kept falling off.
  • 2. Get another can and drink then place on screen again.
    New tape stayed on but can didn't work.
  • 3. Get yet another beer. Had a brainstorm idea to try doing the same for Wifi... got another beer.
    Drank beers, needed a pee. Wife threw out the empties.
  • 4. Got another two beers. Rang friend to ask if he had a beeter metal cutter....
  • 5. Got two more beers then forgot what I was doing.
  • 6. Glot two more bbers. Needed another pee.... Came back stood on berr cans. They were hiding on the floor.
  • 7. Grot a new crate of beers in from the sheller hic! Drunk clan cut finger with can opener. Oh Eck...
  • 8. Opened nudder bleer. Got drill out and dilled lotsh of oles on can.
    Bol*x.... need a pee.
  • 9. Sloped can wid whisky bottle... Poored whiskey on wire... Sh1t.. where da fcuk did wire come ffrommm???
  • 10. Passt hammmmer to schreen. Bloke grass an spong at glue.
  • 11. Glue noo worrrk. Need beeerr. hic!
  • 12. Shud not put fingerss in live lectric shockket!

Fin............. Dont work.
zzzzZZzzZzzzzZzzzzzz

junrider

Jan 10, 2012
So I guess the prime as a glorified beer coaster wasnt too far off since it can improve signal strength.

dingdonggggg

Aug 1, 2007
hey guys come on.
I'm trying to start a serious thread and now you are turning it into something hilarious.
Well they always say 'keep on smiling'.
Had a great laugh.
Great story.
Let's see if thereś any beer left.
Cheers guys

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
Jesus.. you couldn't pay me to do this.

BTW, I got better than you without this nasty hack. I have screenshots of 18ft right in my backyard. No tin foil, no duct tape, not guitar/bike wire.

But none of it matters... AS YOU CANT DRIVE AND GET IT TO WORK :)

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
Jesus.. you couldn't pay me to do this.

BTW, I got better than you without this nasty hack. I have screenshots of 18ft right in my backyard. No tin foil, no duct tape, not guitar/bike wire.

But none of it matters... AS YOU CANT DRIVE AND GET IT TO WORK :)

VVVVVVVV

YEP

I actually just got 18 ft in my brother's front yard :D Same place I kept getting nada for a couple weeks. No mods, but not stable either. Soon I'll have external antenna and be done with it :D

*EDIT: Obviously with data on, but I was getting 1 bird in and out of view with the same setup pre-.15. That is not to say .15 in any way helped this.

Screenshot_2012-02-27-18-14-46.jpg

**EDIT:
PM'd you
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Last edited:

PolishPoet

Aug 14, 2011

Ever since I got my TFP in early January I have been trying to find a way to enhance the GPS and the Wifi. I read just about all the threads on these subjects and tried every tweak. Even the crazy ones ;-) But because of the form factor I wasn't going to drill holes and put antennas on the back (respect guys, awesome work)

It started with a poster that got flamed straight away. He put a phone on the top right hand corner and got a better GPS. I felt sorry for him because everyone treated him like a retard. Just for the sake of being able to put the flamers in their spot I gave his idea a chance.
And it worked!!! But it was not practical. I can't walk around with a phone pressed against my TFP. But it was a start. Something started happening.

Next came the screwdriver trick. Even better result. Then I discovered the paperclip trick. Again improvement. But still not good enough and certainly not stable. It was difficult to reproduce. It became clear to me that positioning was very critical.

On the Wifi side people started enhancing their signal by placing foil the right Wifi antenna. Then they started using beer cans. It worked for some. But for others it didn't work. Theory was that somehow the Wifi signal got shielded forcing the other Wifi antenna to kick in. Tried it. Worked sometimes and at other moments didn't work. But there was something. And again it became clear to me that positioning was very critical.

Furthermore I started fooling around with grounding to the back plate. It had a dramatic effect on Wifi and GPS. As soon as something touches the back plate the signals die. I got the impression that the Wifi and GPS antenna were to close to each other and with all the RF signals they were screwing each other.

But all together there were things happening. I started documenting exact positions and sizes of the tweaks I was applying. Wifi was reasonable for me as long as I had a good base signal. GPS had my attention. I could get an external GPS, I could tether from my phone, I could buy a map, I could ask directions.
But NO!!!!

But......

5. Place steel cable across the isolated square (I don’t know if this matters but I used 9,75 mm length = 0,5 x wavelength of GPS)
And ......

However my experience is that the cable has to extend outside the plane of the TFP. Either vertical or horizontal. As long as it is inside the confines and flat on the glass of the TFP the signal dies instantly

Outside and in the car I get a 4 second lock and after 10 seconds 15 sats and 10 locked. Inside has improved but not really good enough.

Have fun

Oh I forgot to mention. The trick also works with the paperclip. Use a small paperclip. When straightened the length is 95 mm. Also works. I turned to the steel cable because I wanted something flexible.

Looks like it close to the location for the Easy Wifi Improvement Mod only with the added wire.

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
Looks like it close to the location for the Easy Wifi Improvement Mod only with the added wire.

I think that's the point.

Kill the primary WiFi (if that's what it does... and I think it does) with the aluminum, then use the wire as a conductor for the GPS signal, just kind of funneling it to the right area for the internal antenna to get a concentrated blast. Per RF theory I've seen around here, the signal then doesn't need a hard line to the antenna, it'll travel that little gap from covered wire to antenna easily.

chivas228

Nov 16, 2006
hey! That crazy asian with the phone on the corner was me! I've been meaning to post my further investigation on this and this is what I did.

1. Bought a Moco case on Amazon for like $12.
2. Put Prime in case.
3. Cut a 5 inch speaker wire. The tiny ones, not monster cable but them average size wire about 22 gauge (?).
4. Place the wire under the case but above the Prime in same location as yours. It stuck out so I bent the end and tucked it into the headphone opening.
5. Went for a drive. I drive a bronco and with the case set up to stand the Prime up, I was able to watch GPS test as I drove. Kept very steady GPS lock with no less than 4 at a time. Tried Google maps with Bluetooth data tethering to my phone to draw map and now I have a 10.1 in screen gps !

I think getting a case (any case) is a good investment for your Prime. It can also very casually and discreetly hide any of these " additions" to your Prime to enhance certain features like those with the foil wifi "mod".

So I didn't get to drink any beer but I sure will not drink scotch out a can!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The 12 Steps to ruin.... and a Hangover

My attempt (not really but could be fun)

• 1. Drink one can, cut open and place on screen.
      Tape was too old. Can kept falling off.
    • 2. Get another can and drink then place on screen again.
      New tape stayed on but can didn't work.
    • 3. Get yet another beer. Had a brainstorm idea to try doing the same for Wifi... got another beer.
      Drank beers, needed a pee. Wife threw out the empties.
    • 4. Got another two beers. Rang friend to ask if he had a beeter metal cutter....
    • 5. Got two more beers then forgot what I was doing.
    • 6. Glot two more bbers. Needed another pee.... Came back stood on berr cans. They were hiding on the floor.
    • 7. Grot a new crate of beers in from the sheller hic! Drunk clan cut finger with can opener. Oh Eck...
    • 8. Opened nudder bleer. Got drill out and dilled lotsh of oles on can.
      Bol*x.... need a pee.
    • 9. Sloped can wid whisky bottle... Poored whiskey on wire... Sh1t.. where da fcuk did wire come ffrommm???
    • 10. Passt hammmmer to schreen. Bloke grass an spong at glue.
    • 11. Glue noo worrrk. Need beeerr. hic!
    • 12. Shud not put fingerss in live lectric shockket!

Fin............. Dont work.
    zzzzZZzzZzzzzZzzzzzz
    READ THIS POST AND POST 74 AND FURTHER

But NO!!!!

But......

And ......

Have fun

I'll test that. Drink beer and going high speed on the autobahn :)
    YEP
    Ok. Sorry for the size of the images, I'll be going back and resizing them, so they should update after a bit. Operating on the EDGE network around here is a true test of patience :eek:

First test is nothing on my Prime. Keep in mind I keep a screen protector on my Prime, don't know if that matters but I don't see why it would.

Screenshot_2012-03-02-17-25-04.jpg

Second one is Prime > Guitar String > Foil Tape

IMG_20120302_172833.jpg

Screenshot_2012-03-02-17-28-23.jpg

Third is Prime > Guitar String > Antistatic Film > Foil Tape

IMG_20120302_181619.jpg

Screenshot_2012-03-02-18-15-20.jpg

Fourth is Prime > Guitar String > Electric Tape > Antistatic Film > Foil Tape > Electrical Tape for good measure

Screenshot_2012-03-02-18-25-34.jpg

*EDIT:

If you keep reading you'll see my reply, but every configuration of foil and wire I've tried so far has yielded no real results. I lock on to more satellites at times, but they generally register worse signal and I get decreased accuracy. Still going along though, I'll be testing other wire and actual foil as opposed to my foil tape.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium via my tethered HTC Vision