[APP] AudioBoost 2.4 - support and feedback

Search This thread

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
CREDITS:
My work is ONLY the application, it was intended for my personal use, but I figured that it could be useful to someone else, until supercurio doesn't come out with something better (and I hope he will).
So the HARD PART of the work, like finding out how to tweak the volume limit using alsa, etc. was done by supercurio and we should all thank him a lot for all his work! :D
Thanks also to RyanZA for creating the z4root application, very very useful! ;)

PREREQUISITES:
1. Your phone must be ROOTED!

ATTENTION FOR FROYO!!:
With froyo official updates, it is NO LONGER possible to flash custom update.zip!! If you want to leave your phone unrooted, however, there is a simple way to achive this:

1. Download from the market the free application "z4root" from our beloved RyanZA! (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953)
2. Use the z4root application to get root privileges
3. Now open audioboost and choose "NORMAL INSTALL"
4. Now or whenever you feel like it, if you want, you can just open z4root again and *unroot* your device. After that, you can even erase z4root and continue using audioboost without problems until next firmware upgrade...the app won't leave any trace and it won't be noticeable that your phone has been rooted.
If you liked this approach, you can also donate to RyanZA for the wonderful app he's created!

INSTALLATION:
If you had previously a beta version installed, please uninstall it before trying the release 1.0.

If you don't have already installed alsa, the app will check your installation when you launch it, and eventually it will ask you to install alsa. Please do so.

FEATURES:
- Headphones, speaker and microphone tweaking! :D
- I optimized the code a lot, so now it is very low on resource usage, even with a 1-second refresh rate!
- You can leave it in background all day without noticing any lag or anything! ;)
- Now with some sort of icon.
- Signed.

UPDATED 1.1:
- When clicking exit button it will clean up better.
- Cleaned up a bit the Settings activity, and added preview of next feature (statusbar notifications).
- Changed Info activity a bit.

UPDATED 1.2:
- Fixed a bug that prevented the app to work properly!

UPDATED 1.3:
- GLOBAL REFRESH! ;) Now the refresh time and enabling/disabling is under Settings and works for ALL controls (headphones, speaker and mic).
- Fixed (hopefully) problems with ALSA INSTALLATION, plus now a progress dialog is displayed (just for you to know that is working and for me when posting problems - I hope not - you can say "stuck at x%"...)
- Fixed QUIT bug. Now when you click the exit button it should really exit and not show up in background even with task killer. PLEASE DO NOT KILL THE APP, use the exit button!!!
- Now menu has icons! :D
- Plus a lot of things that you may not notice, but are very useful for overall speed and low system resource impact! The code has been changed A LOT, let me tell ya! :cool:

...Well hope everything works just fine! Please post feedback on mic functioning with these new features! ;)

UPDATED 1.4.1:
- Just fixed a little thing which prevented the correct alsa installation, nothing definitive as I'm looking to manage every single possible error scenario...

UPDATED 2.0:
- Works even on unrooted phones
- Alsa installation takes now a split second! You MUST do that even if you used version 1.x (permissions changed...)
- Audio-boosting feature is a service that can be backgrounded
- Statusbar notification
- Start on phone boot
- Refresh rate in milliseconds...you can have values lower than 1 second, default is 500ms...obviously greater values = worst experience = better performance....your call! :p
- New app logo...hope you like it!
- A lot of other improvements that I'm not remembering right now! :p

UPDATED 2.1:
- Fixed lagging issues (OMG java Timer class implementation on android sucks badly!!!)

- Dropped "always active" option in settings (not very user-friendly/intuitive)

- Added little dialog when hitting menu/Quit that asks if you want to background the app or close it for good (more user-friendly for my taste)

Regarding *lagging* issues: of course, if you keep like 2-3 milliseconds refresh it WILL lag indeed! That depends on use-cases:

- I, for instance, use my app when listening to music while driving. In that circumstance, I have no problem occupying resources because I'm not actually using my phone apart from playing music. If an email comes in though, I'd *hate* to have to wait 10 seconds to boost volume again, so I keep 100-200ms. When I exit the car, I click "disable" and close audioboost.

- Someone who is listening to music while using the phone intensively should use a higher refresh.

I think that with 2000ms refresh, version 2.1 shouldn't lag even all-day long. Even with lower values it should be fine...you should find your preferred setting by yourselves! ;)

UPDATE 2.2 - 2.3 - 2.4:
- Fixed some bugs.
- Improved froyo compatibility.
- Mounts /system as rw during install.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO RATE/COMMENT THE APP IN THE MARKET, THANK YOU EVERYBODY :)

- OLD:

Ok...let's explain a bit. Yesterday evening I wanted to know if it existed a tweak to boost the audio volume coming from the headphones. I think that there is some sort of European law or something like that which limits the volume that headphones can produce. This is probably a good thing to avoid hearing problems with *headphones*, but in my situation it sucks badly! Yes, because I use my phone as a music source in my car, and my car hifi is not powerful enough to let me hear my music at the level I like...
However...I was addressed at this thread, from post #300 on...
Well, I read the thread (and I STRONGLY ADVISE you do the same before downloading anything from my post), but I didn't like very much the limitations of that tweak. It works alright, but it seems to me that an sh script is not the more comfortable way to go on a mobile phone. If you think differently from me, feel free to keep using the script method, without posting useless comments. ;)

So I created a tiny little (horrible I must say) application which kinda does basically the same thing as the script, but in a (from my point of view) much cooler way! It is very ugly, but it's my first android application and I bought the phone just 2 weeks ago...
How does this work? Very simple: there is a textbox in which you can enter the desired amp level, an enable button and a disable one. You should enter the value you prefer (default is 62), then click enable button. You should now leave the app RUNNING in background. When you are finished using the tweak you can tap the disable button to return to the default (of the firmware) settings.
Basically what the application does is it creates a 2-seconds timer which calls everytime the alsamixer (a little better than using an infinite loop as in the script...) with the desired settings. It doesn't seem to impact the battery life too much from my little testing, but please post any feedback on this point.

Last edited:

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
The default is 56 (and that's the value it puts when you click the disable button). The range varies from 0 to 63, but from 0 to 35 it's the same low level. It's all written on the supercurio's post I mentioned! ;)

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
thanks works ok.. you dont have to keep it running the setting does not go back to default unless you unplug and replug in the headphone.. also this is only for headphone boost not for speaker..

finally 2 secs seems like overkill every 10-30 sec would be ok to0.. maybe you could make that user seteable.. also an exit button would be nice since i start it set the level higher and kill it..as long as i dont unplug headphones it stays so i would like to exit without going to task killer..
thanks agian.

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
thanks works ok.. you dont have to keep it running the setting does not go back to default unless you unplug and replug in the headphone.. also this is only for headphone boost not for speaker..

finally 2 secs seems like overkill every 10-30 sec would be ok to0.. maybe you could make that user seteable.. also an exit button would be nice since i start it set the level higher and kill it..as long as i dont unplug headphones it stays so i would like to exit without going to task killer..
thanks agian.
I'll look into those suggestions after dinner, thanks! However, I don't see why you should kill it...I mean, it's like 20kb of app...I don't think it occupies that much ram...
The point of the app is that when you unplug the headphone and replug it after 2sec it bumps volume again...if you kill it becomes useless...

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
I'll look into those suggestions after dinner, thanks! However, I don't see why you should kill it...I mean, it's like 20kb of app...I don't think it occupies that much ram...
The point of the app is that when you unplug the headphone and replug it after 2sec it bumps volume again...if you kill it becomes useless...

it is not the memory footprint i dont like anything running starting up every so often and checking status.. not sure what it does to battery or cpu usage.. especially in not necessary... maybe a widget added to the app with a picture that changes showing boost when on and when you click toggles on or off.. and you only need to open the actuall app for settings..
if you can bundle this with the other app so you dont have to manually install and untar on you card. you could probably charge a couple of bucks for it in the store... but more most people the manual install and untar of the other app is slightly complicated.

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
it is not the memory footprint i dont like anything running starting up every so often and checking status.. not sure what it does to battery or cpu usage.. especially in not necessary... maybe a widget added to the app with a picture that changes showing boost when on and when you click toggles on or off.. and you only need to open the actuall app for settings..
if you can bundle this with the other app so you dont have to manually install and untar on you card. you could probably charge a couple of bucks for it in the store... but more most people the manual install and untar of the other app is slightly complicated.
Well that of the widget is a GREAT idea! ;) I'll look into it, but I can't promise anything, because as I said it's the first time I develop anything for a mobile phone, I just read two or three tutorials on android developing this morning and the actual coding part was like a couple of hours of work. Add to that the fact that it's been 4 years since last time I wrote software (let alone java, which was the first language I learned, but I never used it for real developing) and now I'm doing with very different things in my life! Of course I will try to upgrade and make a better app, as this one is horrible...if people are interested I'll do it, but it'll take some time! ;)

daigoro64

May 5, 2008
::1
Well that of the widget is a GREAT idea! ;) I'll look into it, but I can't promise anything, because as I said it's the first time I develop anything for a mobile phone, I just read two or three tutorials on android developing this morning and the actual coding part was like a couple of hours of work. Add to that the fact that it's been 4 years since last time I wrote software (let alone java, which was the first language I learned, but I never used it for real developing) and now I'm doing with very different things in my life! Of course I will try to upgrade and make a better app, as this one is horrible...if people are interested I'll do it, but it'll take some time! ;)

I'm sure your work will make a lot of people happy.

Thanks for your time Carlo.

m3talm0rph

Jul 26, 2010
Matera
Grande Carlo!

Ti consiglierei di salvare il livello di output dell'ultima sessione in modo tale che uno non lo debba reinserire. Ma quanta batteria consuma questa applicazione?
Altro piccolo consiglio: inserisci un terzo pulsante per poter disattivare l'applicazione senza ripristinare a 56 il volume, in modo tale da non dover avere la tua app in background ma poter comunque utilizzare il volume al max

Great idea Carlo!
I'd suggest to modify a few things in your app:
1)Try to insert a third button for closing the service without resetting the volume to the normal one, also because it is enough to unplug the headphones to change it.
2)Can you modify save the latest used volume? This way the next time you open the app you do not have to change it again.

Buona fortuna! Grande idea!

carlocb

Aug 3, 2010
Bologna
OK...if you look in the first post I updated the app a bit, implementing some of the requests...
It's very important that you uninstall the old one before installing the new one.
It's still early alpha version however, I have in mind a couple of interesting things if I'm able to implement them... :p
Stay tuned! ;)

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
2. The refresh rate is in *seconds* and the default is 2. Feel free to experiment with other values, but remember that it's not only the unplugging of headphones cable which causes the volume value to reset. This happens also when you receive a notification (such as an incoming call, message or email), or when there is a 2 seconds or longer pause (such as you just pause the player for a moment). So...imho it's not useful to keep the refresh rate higher then 10 seconds or so...but as always, try various combinations and let me know! The most important thing should be to watch the impact of this setting on battery life...
Also...if you put 0 here as a value, the timer won't start at all. Basically this means that it's just like invoking the shell command...so any notification and the volume won't come back up! ;)

strange i didnt experience this in my tests pausing both audible player and ambling book player for more than 2 secs.. the volume didnt reset...

will have to experiement more

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
ok more info you are correct pausing does setting values back to default..

also one bug.. quite does not seem to totaly quit the app.. it does exist but if you run adavance task killer a process is still showing up as running in the task list.. but anyway i have set it to 10 secs . and it seems to work fine.. no lag while using other apps.

swatsqad

Nov 9, 2009
Vilnius
mobile terminal emulator ? allright, couldnt find a tutorial on using adb. can i download a mobile terminal straight to my sgs?

Bhonka

Jul 14, 2010
mobile terminal emulator ? allright, couldnt find a tutorial on using adb. can i download a mobile terminal straight to my sgs?
as long as you have root and busybox you can download the terminal emulator from the market and run the tar command in the first post.

i did it this way on the bus this morning :p

swatsqad

Nov 9, 2009
Vilnius
help?

$ cd /
cd /
$ busybox tar zxvf /sdcard/alsa-utils-binaries.tar.gz.zip
busybox tar zxvf /sdcard/alsa-utils-binaries.tar.gz.zip
tar: invalid option -- z
BusyBox v1.18.0.git (2010-08-11 01:17:17 CDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: tar -[cxtvO] [-X FILE] [-f TARFILE] [-C DIR] [FILE]...

Create, extract, or list files from a tar file

Operation:
c Create
x Extract
t List
Options:
f Name of TARFILE ('-' for stdin/out)
C Change to DIR before operation
v Verbose
O Extract to stdout
h Follow symlinks
exclude File to exclude
X File with names to exclude
T File with names to include

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
Yes some busybox versions don't have tar with gzip support. If u installed the busy box fix from titanium backup u can just run the command thru tar instead.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CREDITS:
    My work is ONLY the application, it was intended for my personal use, but I figured that it could be useful to someone else, until supercurio doesn't come out with something better (and I hope he will).
    So the HARD PART of the work, like finding out how to tweak the volume limit using alsa, etc. was done by supercurio and we should all thank him a lot for all his work! :D
    Thanks also to RyanZA for creating the z4root application, very very useful! ;)

PREREQUISITES:
    1. Your phone must be ROOTED!

ATTENTION FOR FROYO!!:
    With froyo official updates, it is NO LONGER possible to flash custom update.zip!! If you want to leave your phone unrooted, however, there is a simple way to achive this:

1. Download from the market the free application "z4root" from our beloved RyanZA! (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953)
    2. Use the z4root application to get root privileges
    3. Now open audioboost and choose "NORMAL INSTALL"
    4. Now or whenever you feel like it, if you want, you can just open z4root again and *unroot* your device. After that, you can even erase z4root and continue using audioboost without problems until next firmware upgrade...the app won't leave any trace and it won't be noticeable that your phone has been rooted.
    If you liked this approach, you can also donate to RyanZA for the wonderful app he's created!

INSTALLATION:
    If you had previously a beta version installed, please uninstall it before trying the release 1.0.

If you don't have already installed alsa, the app will check your installation when you launch it, and eventually it will ask you to install alsa. Please do so.

FEATURES:
    - Headphones, speaker and microphone tweaking! :D
    - I optimized the code a lot, so now it is very low on resource usage, even with a 1-second refresh rate!
    - You can leave it in background all day without noticing any lag or anything! ;)
    - Now with some sort of icon.
    - Signed.

UPDATED 1.1:
    - When clicking exit button it will clean up better.
    - Cleaned up a bit the Settings activity, and added preview of next feature (statusbar notifications).
    - Changed Info activity a bit.

UPDATED 1.2:
    - Fixed a bug that prevented the app to work properly!

UPDATED 1.3:
    - GLOBAL REFRESH! ;) Now the refresh time and enabling/disabling is under Settings and works for ALL controls (headphones, speaker and mic).
    - Fixed (hopefully) problems with ALSA INSTALLATION, plus now a progress dialog is displayed (just for you to know that is working and for me when posting problems - I hope not - you can say "stuck at x%"...)
    - Fixed QUIT bug. Now when you click the exit button it should really exit and not show up in background even with task killer. PLEASE DO NOT KILL THE APP, use the exit button!!!
    - Now menu has icons! :D
    - Plus a lot of things that you may not notice, but are very useful for overall speed and low system resource impact! The code has been changed A LOT, let me tell ya! :cool:

...Well hope everything works just fine! Please post feedback on mic functioning with these new features! ;)

UPDATED 1.4.1:
    - Just fixed a little thing which prevented the correct alsa installation, nothing definitive as I'm looking to manage every single possible error scenario...

UPDATED 2.0:
    - Works even on unrooted phones
    - Alsa installation takes now a split second! You MUST do that even if you used version 1.x (permissions changed...)
    - Audio-boosting feature is a service that can be backgrounded
    - Statusbar notification
    - Start on phone boot
    - Refresh rate in milliseconds...you can have values lower than 1 second, default is 500ms...obviously greater values = worst experience = better performance....your call! :p
    - New app logo...hope you like it!
    - A lot of other improvements that I'm not remembering right now! :p

UPDATED 2.1:
    - Fixed lagging issues (OMG java Timer class implementation on android sucks badly!!!)

- Dropped "always active" option in settings (not very user-friendly/intuitive)

- Added little dialog when hitting menu/Quit that asks if you want to background the app or close it for good (more user-friendly for my taste)

Regarding *lagging* issues: of course, if you keep like 2-3 milliseconds refresh it WILL lag indeed! That depends on use-cases:

- I, for instance, use my app when listening to music while driving. In that circumstance, I have no problem occupying resources because I'm not actually using my phone apart from playing music. If an email comes in though, I'd *hate* to have to wait 10 seconds to boost volume again, so I keep 100-200ms. When I exit the car, I click "disable" and close audioboost.

- Someone who is listening to music while using the phone intensively should use a higher refresh.

I think that with 2000ms refresh, version 2.1 shouldn't lag even all-day long. Even with lower values it should be fine...you should find your preferred setting by yourselves! ;)

UPDATE 2.2 - 2.3 - 2.4:
    - Fixed some bugs.
    - Improved froyo compatibility.
    - Mounts /system as rw during install.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO RATE/COMMENT THE APP IN THE MARKET, THANK YOU EVERYBODY :)

- OLD:

Ok...let's explain a bit. Yesterday evening I wanted to know if it existed a tweak to boost the audio volume coming from the headphones. I think that there is some sort of European law or something like that which limits the volume that headphones can produce. This is probably a good thing to avoid hearing problems with *headphones*, but in my situation it sucks badly! Yes, because I use my phone as a music source in my car, and my car hifi is not powerful enough to let me hear my music at the level I like...
    However...I was addressed at this thread, from post #300 on...
    Well, I read the thread (and I STRONGLY ADVISE you do the same before downloading anything from my post), but I didn't like very much the limitations of that tweak. It works alright, but it seems to me that an sh script is not the more comfortable way to go on a mobile phone. If you think differently from me, feel free to keep using the script method, without posting useless comments. ;)

So I created a tiny little (horrible I must say) application which kinda does basically the same thing as the script, but in a (from my point of view) much cooler way! It is very ugly, but it's my first android application and I bought the phone just 2 weeks ago...
    How does this work? Very simple: there is a textbox in which you can enter the desired amp level, an enable button and a disable one. You should enter the value you prefer (default is 62), then click enable button. You should now leave the app RUNNING in background. When you are finished using the tweak you can tap the disable button to return to the default (of the firmware) settings.
    Basically what the application does is it creates a 2-seconds timer which calls everytime the alsamixer (a little better than using an infinite loop as in the script...) with the desired settings. It doesn't seem to impact the battery life too much from my little testing, but please post any feedback on this point.