Battery Issue Solved (so far at least)

Search This thread

Xeno62277

Apr 13, 2011
Greensboro
I've been noticing (especially since a little after the GB update) my battery dying very quickly... sometimes not lasting more than 6 hours of moderate use.

I started reading threads here, there, and anything a google search would bring back. Apparently the battery drain is caused by the system's suspend process going rogue. I installed the full version of System Panel to monitor my usage, and sure enough suspend was taking up a lot more cpu cycles than anything else on my phone.

From reading further there isn't any specific phone setting/app that can fix this bug. Then I read something interesting... someone said that they only see the problem if they plug their phone in (usb or wall charge... doesn't matter), then unplug it without a restart.

Since I sit at a desk all day I frequently plug my phone in (nandroid backups, moving files to/from my sd card, etc.). I decided to do a test. I already have Tasker kill my ringer when my phone is plugged into any usb, so I added an exit task to reboot the phone when I disconnect usb.

I disconnected my phone from usb, and it restarted automatically... exactly what I wanted. Since then I haven't seen suspend do a damn thing. I have turned wifi on/off, killed data sync/turned back on, etc... all the things people have tried to fix the issue. Still nothing over the past couple of hours for suspend.

I will continue to monitor... so far it looks very promising.

Loswave

Aug 5, 2011
Yeah, I'm betting that will work just fine. I've been seeing it go nuts after being plugged in for a while and did mention it in another thread. I was suspicious of suspend but hadn't had enough time to be sure. Now that I know its that well have to see if there is a more elegant fix than restarting every time we unplug. That does work though. Good job point out the exact problem.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

colonel187

Jul 3, 2010
Nowhere
What are you using to auto reboot when u-plugged??? I can't find that option in system panel or task manager.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

ferg40

Mar 29, 2011
Mesa, Az
How did you set up the profile? I've been missing around for a bit and i cant figure it out...

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA Premium App

colonel187

Jul 3, 2010
Nowhere
I tried the reboot trick and im going on 16 hours at 70% battery. Plus system panel shows cpu under 1% when device is suspended.

balltongue

Aug 6, 2010
Thank you for finding this out. I tried this on my DX2 after full charge and its at 62% going on 11 and a half hours with moderate use.

colonel187

Jul 3, 2010
Nowhere
Seems like every phone has there bugs. I came from htc incredible and ut wont charge to 100% while on. You have to bump charge it while off to get the lost 10%

stick1300

Jun 15, 2010
So, are you supposed to unplug, then restart or shut down (while still plugged in), unplug, then restart? I understood it as the latter, but you're making it sound like the former. I tried method two today and I'm at 50% after 13hrs of moderately heavy use (1-2hr streaming music, a lot of texting, etc.), which I'm pretty happy with. It's a definite improvement over the last few days.

So far this seems to be working for me. I did the reboot after unplug this morning. Will update later on. Battery hasn't dropped nearly as quickly as it has before when going through these forums using the browser on the 3g network connection. It used to flat out suck the life outrageous my battery in what seemed like 2hrs flat before when browsing on 3g...

If its as simple as rebooting my phone after every charge im cook with that as i have read it's good to reboot at least once a day anyways and that seems like the perfect time for doing it. Thanks to the info. VERY useful

Xeno62277

Apr 13, 2011
Greensboro
After a few days I can definitely say that having Tasker reboot my phone after unplugging from USB has GREATLY improved my battery life. Tasker is kind of expensive as far as apps go... you could always get a free reboot widget from the market, and just remember to hit it when you unplug :)

colonel187

Jul 3, 2010
Nowhere
Hotboot essentially just reboots the O/S and not the entire phone. Its more like logging out and then logging back in on a windows machine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been noticing (especially since a little after the GB update) my battery dying very quickly... sometimes not lasting more than 6 hours of moderate use.

I started reading threads here, there, and anything a google search would bring back. Apparently the battery drain is caused by the system's suspend process going rogue. I installed the full version of System Panel to monitor my usage, and sure enough suspend was taking up a lot more cpu cycles than anything else on my phone.

From reading further there isn't any specific phone setting/app that can fix this bug. Then I read something interesting... someone said that they only see the problem if they plug their phone in (usb or wall charge... doesn't matter), then unplug it without a restart.

Since I sit at a desk all day I frequently plug my phone in (nandroid backups, moving files to/from my sd card, etc.). I decided to do a test. I already have Tasker kill my ringer when my phone is plugged into any usb, so I added an exit task to reboot the phone when I disconnect usb.

I disconnected my phone from usb, and it restarted automatically... exactly what I wanted. Since then I haven't seen suspend do a damn thing. I have turned wifi on/off, killed data sync/turned back on, etc... all the things people have tried to fix the issue. Still nothing over the past couple of hours for suspend.

I will continue to monitor... so far it looks very promising.
    Could post or link a tasker profile?
    I could not get it to work.

I think Tasker needs Root access to reboot the phone.
    Mine puts the phone to silent mode for any power, so not sure if you want my exact profile.
    Here is how to do it if you want a restart after unplugging.
    New Profile - name it if you want
    Hit State under First Context
    Hit Power under Select State Category
    Hit Power under Select Power Action
    Leave the Source as Any under Power
    Hit the Check

Hit new Task under Task Selection - name it if you want
    Hit the +
    Hit Tasker under Select Action Category
    Hit Wait under Select Tasker Action
    Change ms to 1 (so will be 1 milisecond)
    Hit the Check

Hit the Task you just created in the profile you just created
    Under Task Options hit Add Exit Task
    Hit New Task under Task Selection - name it if you want
    Hit the + in Task Edit
    Hit Misc under Select Action Category
    Hit Reboot under Select Misc Action
    Hit the Check
    Hit the next Check

Now you should have a profile that will just wait 1 ms (essentially does nothing) when you plug in power, and then will reboot your phone when the state changes to no power (unplugged).

Since I just did it to do this walk through I'll get the profile up here :D

Edit: Added the profile. Just unzip it and drop it in sdcard/tasker/profiles
    From there you should be able to import it pretty easy.