rooting a japanese evo

Search This thread

tecbarrera

May 11, 2011
Chigasaki, Japan
Very stable since it's the stock rom, only thing I added was root, and I didn't take anything out of the rom. Carrier services seem to work as well, au mail definitely works. I haven't tried SMS yet since I hardly ever use it, but I'll try it just in case.

I will definitely share this, but I'd like to try what I've been doing a couple more times so I can get the steps right...everything has been a mix of going on different forums in both English and Japanese. Once I clear up the steps I've been following, I'll post it here or possibly in its own thread.

Can you tell me your android version and build number? Just want to verify something.

Hi SharpIS03! So I've read till the end of this thread. Can you help me do what you did? All I want is my Wimax back. Did you end up posting up the detailed instructions? Like some other users, my understanding of rooting methodology is extremely basic, and I bit off way more than I could chew by rooting. I blame peer pressure. Anyway, so I have to downgrade to stock, then re-root using revolutionary, then use your custom rom? Do you have a download package perhaps with all the necessary files and instructions? I've never used SDK before, so I might need a little help with that too. I apologize in advance... I know I'm asking for a lot, but I really could use your help (ANY help) at this point.

My Android version is 2.3.7 running Mod Version CyanogenMod-7.0.1-supersonic Build Number GWK74. Hope that info helps...

Last edited:

SharpIS03

Dec 17, 2010
Koshigaya
Anyone running a custom ICS rom for this phone? I'm trying to get au Email to work...I could use some help, especially if you're familiar with build.prop and troubleshooting via logcat...all things I have very little knowledge about...

On the other hand, running CM7.1, au email can work...but I'm having trouble with ICS roms. D'oh...

Asutke781

Apr 22, 2012
Ishikawa
Japanese Evo

I want to see if anyone has figured this out yet. I am trying to run a custom rom however something in the US roms makes the phone roam in Japan and I am unable to send SMS/c-mail messages from my phone. I reverted back to a rooted stock rom that I made using sharps methods. Now everything works on my phone again. What I want to do is extract whatever files control the phone on the au network and input them into a custom rom so I can run it on my jEVO. Any ideas?

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
I want to see if anyone has figured this out yet. I am trying to run a custom rom however something in the US roms makes the phone roam in Japan and I am unable to send SMS/c-mail messages from my phone. I reverted back to a rooted stock rom that I made using sharps methods. Now everything works on my phone again. What I want to do is extract whatever files control the phone on the au network and input them into a custom rom so I can run it on my jEVO. Any ideas?

What is it you want from the other roms?

I think there are a few things from the system apps, framework and build.prop at least.

I'm trying to cook up a custom rom implementing mods that are available on the sprint roms. I've got a few things done, transparencies, crt animation, swipe notifications, power menu mod. What things do you like about the Sprint based Roms??

私はローボーボブ。 Haro!!

Last edited:

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
Custom ROM

Ok, so I've been working on a personal ROM looking at those based off of Sprints 4.67 base, and the mods they have and what not. So I've been attempting to incorporate a few of these features using our rooted base rom provided by SharpIS03.

I've managed to get working for our ROM:
  • Transparency (Settings and Status Bar)
  • CRT Animation (on and off)
  • Some attempts at new colour theming
  • Advanced Power Menu (Reboot, and Sound options)
  • Volume Rocker: long press to skip music when screen is off
  • Swipe to clear notification panel
  • Native Screenshot (power+home button)
  • Battery Bar
  • Extended Quick Settings *(alignment needs some adjusting)

This is what I've got working so far. I will also work at optimizing it as best I can.

I'm running also with ca1ne's underworld-sbc kernel and papa smurfs' Smurfed Out script.
Also I've attempted to 'de-sense' the ROM so ssLauncher is the home replacement.

If anyone would like to try it out PM me. If there are any suggestions for other Mods let me know. I'm willing to give it a go if I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: SharpIS03

Asutke781

Apr 22, 2012
Ishikawa
I am an amateur at best when it comes to flashing roms. This is the first phone I have rooted. I flashed a sprint based rom and now have to figure out how to get back to a Japanese Hboot to get everything working on my phone again.

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
I am an amateur at best when it comes to flashing roms. This is the first phone I have rooted. I flashed a sprint based rom and now have to figure out how to get back to a Japanese Hboot to get everything working on my phone again.

Is your h-boot 6.xxx something? If so that's fine you can flash the au rom on it. Have you got used sharps method already to get root using his base rom yeah?

Me too! I'm still learning about all of this.

私はローボーボブ。 Haro!!

Last edited:

Asutke781

Apr 22, 2012
Ishikawa
The Hboot is 6.xx something but even when I flashed back to the stock rom I was unable to make phone calls or send cmail to other carriers.

Asutke781

Apr 22, 2012
Ishikawa
I wouldn't have thought so either. I extracted the KDDI radio from the most recent RUU and successfully flashed it to the phone however when I make calls it still tells me I am in roaming mode and cmail does not work. I get an error saying SMS not supported by base station.

Asutke781

Apr 22, 2012
Ishikawa
Lol. Yes I checked the roaming settings. which I was unable to find. Something within the settings must be ****ed up. It also displays Sprint legal info instead of au.

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
Lol. Yes I checked the roaming settings. which I was unable to find. Something within the settings must be ****ed up. It also displays Sprint legal info instead of au.

yeah i had that the first time i rooted. what are your phone identity details?
I think that you need to change some of the id info but I don't know how to do that. Sounds like your phone 'thinks' its a sprint phone.

Last edited:

Asutke781

Apr 22, 2012
Ishikawa
Thats what I was thinking. I just don't know how to get it all the way back to stock yet. I have seen posts where people accomplish it I just have to do some more research. I think going back to stock and starting over is going to be my best bet.

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
Thats what I was thinking. I just don't know how to get it all the way back to stock yet. I have seen posts where people accomplish it I just have to do some more research. I think going back to stock and starting over is going to be my best bet.

Yeah you'll have to get s-on again, I suppose, and I would have thought that using the taco root method after that to downgrade the hboot and then flashing the old rom would restore all your original information. Then redo the root and apply the custom rom again.

Hey atsuke what is your cid number? If you got a terminal emulator you can find out by using getprop ro.cid
私はローボーボブ。 Haro!!

Last edited:

Asutke781

Apr 22, 2012
Ishikawa
KDDI_801

Further I just pulled the build.prop file out of my phone. It has sprint all over it. If I pull the build.prop out of the au ruu and change the variables to mirror that where it says sprint do you think it would help?

Last edited:

Robobob1221

Feb 4, 2012
取手市。日本
KDDI_801

Further I just pulled the build.prop file out of my phone. It has sprint all over it. If I pull the build.prop out of the au ruu and change the variables to mirror that where it says sprint do you think it would help?

As long as its the au rom you've got on the phone then I don't see why you couldn't. It could be why you are roaming on an au rom as you build prop is telling your phone its something else. Worth a try pushing it to your system, you can go back if it don't work. Change anything that seems related to your phone's identity back to au.

私はローボーボブ。 Haro!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No way to root any of the Evo's with updated software at the moment. The Japanese one because of their hboot and the US version because they fixed the GB exploit.
    So, will it be that adb commands will be needed to downgrade to the original software and then after that it's just a process of using revolutionary to obtain root and apply CWM? Will the custom rom being flashed be the one you're creating or will it be the one of the files you can find in this forum?

Yeah, writing about it does make it seem so simple...wish it was:confused:!!

Yes, to the first part. The custom rom is the one I created, so WiMax and all that stuff for our Japanese Evo should work! I'll provide the custom rom.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Yeah, writing about it does make it seem so simple...wish it was:confused:!!

Well, hopefully it is. I finished going through the whole process again, and am successfully back on the latest build with root and other things working as far as I can tell.

When you're ready, send me a private message. We'll go from there.
    Custom ROM

Ok, so I've been working on a personal ROM looking at those based off of Sprints 4.67 base, and the mods they have and what not. So I've been attempting to incorporate a few of these features using our rooted base rom provided by SharpIS03.

I've managed to get working for our ROM:
    • Transparency (Settings and Status Bar)
    • CRT Animation (on and off)
    • Some attempts at new colour theming
    • Advanced Power Menu (Reboot, and Sound options)
    • Volume Rocker: long press to skip music when screen is off
    • Swipe to clear notification panel
    • Native Screenshot (power+home button)
    • Battery Bar
    • Extended Quick Settings *(alignment needs some adjusting)

This is what I've got working so far. I will also work at optimizing it as best I can.

I'm running also with ca1ne's underworld-sbc kernel and papa smurfs' Smurfed Out script.
    Also I've attempted to 'de-sense' the ROM so ssLauncher is the home replacement.

If anyone would like to try it out PM me. If there are any suggestions for other Mods let me know. I'm willing to give it a go if I can.
    Not a flashable ROM yet

@SharpIS03
    I sent you a PM.
    I stopped trying to compile in ROM form as I didn't really get any interest.
    I've been trying again recently, however I think I know what some of the problems are.
    If you were willing to help that would be great.

I sent you a pm with the link to a d/l, but as I said that one was a bit broken. I made some edits before work, and cooked up a newer version, and this seems to have gotten rid of the issues with wimax and wifi and the framework mods are working. I left it u/l so I should be able to have it available for d/l tonight. Also I put the wrong version of the launcher on it! There will most likely be a red line through it saying licence check failed as it's the paid version:banghead:
    You can download the free version and replace the paid one, but I'll make sure to change it. Keep forgetting that this is shared!

Japan EVO users:
    I've added some pic attachments to give people an idea of the visuals/mods.

Anybody want to test this out?