Android G1 and Ford Focus Microsoft Sync?

Search This thread

angryspoon

Apr 24, 2009
I am about to buy an 09 Ford Focus and am unsure about whether the G1 will work with it or not. I have been hearing that it will and will not work depending on which link in google you listen too. Anyone in here have any knowledge about it?

watso4183

Mar 10, 2009
The G1 will work with every feature of sync excluding text messaging. I have looked and looked to find out why, or to find a work around, with no success. The phone book does sync properly, and phone calls can be made.

If you are seriously looking at the car, when you do a test drive, have them let you sync your phone. That is a significant feature they're selling you on, so there is no reason they should say no. I just purchased my 09 focus about a month ago, and that is one of the first things I did when we returned from the drive.

If you have any more Q's, feel free to PM me.

P.S. Love the car, got it w/ the Moon&Tune Package. Get the larger wheel size. 15" is an uncomfortable ride.

watso4183

Mar 10, 2009
So as a follow up, I contacted Sync support. Here is the transcript:
Chat InformationPlease wait for a Sync Agent to respond.

Chat InformationThank you for contacting the Ford & Lincoln-Mercury Sync Support Center.

You are now chatting with 'Adam'

How may I assist you?

you: I have a T-mobile G1

you: and am able to use all features but text messaging

you: and wonder why that is

Adam: Unfortunately, few phones support the ability to forward text messages over Bluetooth, as is required to use that feature.

you: is there an sdk for sync?

Adam: Though T-Mobile allows that ability to be used on their network, it is unlikely that the messaging application on the G1 can be changed to send the messages over Bluetooth +AT commands. Those commands are how SYNC communicates with the phone for all features.

Adam: No, there is not an SDK available.

you: the +AT commands, are they lower level commands within the OS, or could an app be built (as it is open source) to do such.

Adam: The last time I had asked about the issue, I was told that there were no plans to make an SDK available in the future, either.

Adam: The +AT commands are part of the standard Bluetooth protocols.

Adam: It would be possible for an application to be built to send the messages, though I don't know about intercepting the messages from the typical G1 texting application.

Adam: You would also need to be sure that the feature is told to SYNC during the Service Discovery phase of the connection, so SYNC knows that the phone can be capable of that. I am not sure exactly what would need to be changed, but I believe that information is in the GSM specification for text messages.

you: are there any other elements that would need to be involved?

Adam: I am not aware of anything else, though I am not a SYNC engineer.

you: fair enough

Adam: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

you: well then thank you very much for the information, and hopefully we can make something work.

Going to post this to the dev forum and see whats possible.

angryspoon

Apr 24, 2009
Thanks for all the knowledge guys. I am having a blue 2009 focus shipped in friday so i will be testing it then. I understood the text messaging did not work as i was told that off the bat via google. I heard that the iPhone and Sync work perfectly together in all aspects so i am going to see if they can send texts over BT b/c its there is a iPhone app for it or if its built in then the G1 can sure do it.