Internal Memory : How to get maximum free space?

Search This thread

Jack Sparrow xda

Jun 22, 2014
Motorola Atrix 2
Moto X 2014
Motorola Atrix 2 has got 8GB of ROM but users get only 4.xx GB available as free.

I am not complaining about the free space but want to know if there is workaround to get more free space available free for our use? Recently fellow member @swaggy123 mentioned in one thread that he used to have 6.xx GB of free space in JB leak ROM. That strike my mind if it was possible in JB leak ROM then why not in other ROMs?

Right now I am having SlimKat 5.10 ROM with minimal GApps on system and no other ROMs on any of the systems and phone is showing 4.55 GB as total space. There I have installed apps of worth 1.02 GB and now having around 3.26 GB of free space left in the internal memory.

For instance two thoughts came in my mind :
1. If we install Standard GApps instead of Minimal GApps then do they consume that available free data space or install in the system partition?
2. If we manually include few regularly used apps in the main ROM then where will they go? In the system partition or in the visible free data partition of 4.55 GB?

Is there any practical and risk-free workaround to get maximum space visible out of the internal memory?

Motorola Atrix 2 has got 8GB of ROM but users get only 4.xx GB available as free.

I am not complaining about the free space but want to know if there is workaround to get more free space available free for our use? Recently fellow member @swaggy123 mentioned in one thread that he used to have 6.xx GB of free space in JB leak ROM. That strike my mind if it was possible in JB leak ROM then why not in other ROMs?

Right now I am having SlimKat 5.10 ROM with minimal GApps on system and no other ROMs on any of the systems and phone is showing 4.55 GB as total space. There I have installed apps of worth 1.02 GB and now having around 3.26 GB of free space left in the internal memory.

For instance two thoughts came in my mind :
1. If we install Standard GApps instead of Minimal GApps then do they consume that available free data space or install in the system partition?
2. If we manually include few regularly used apps in the main ROM then where will they go? In the system partition or in the visible free data partition of 4.55 GB?

Is there any practical and risk-free workaround to get maximum space visible out of the internal memory?

I have CM11 on system 1 and no other ROMS... I use ART runtime
My stats are : Free memory : 4.88 GB Used Space : 1.4 GB
I always get over 6 GB as free memory on system 1.. I have Atrix 2 Indian version (Searet as many call it)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Sparrow xda

Jack Sparrow xda

Jun 22, 2014
Motorola Atrix 2
Moto X 2014
I always get over 6 GB as free memory on system 1.. I have Atrix 2 Indian version (Searet as many call it)
Mine is also Indian retail MB865 but I never had above 4.55 in total.

ROM is of 8GB in size but looks like the default partitions have occupied bigger sizes and left only 4.55 GB as data partition in my case. I guess there should be some workaround to get more space.

BTW where the GApps install? in the data partition or in the system partition? And where system apps install?

1BadWolf

Aug 12, 2012
Nowhere, Louisiana
BTW where the GApps install? in the data partition or in the system partition?

System.

And where system apps install?

Also in the system partition.

If you want to dig into it some more to get a little better understanding of the partitions install a good root enabled file explorer, ( Root Explorer is my preference but ES Explorer is a popular one as well) and look around in the root "/" of your device. The file path to your system apps will be /system/app & /system/priv-app. Your free user apps will be located at /data/app and (most of) your paid apps will be at /data/app-asec. Any partitions created by BMM will be in /data/clockworkmod/virtual. Etc.

Of course, don't change anything in any of the folders in the root of the device until you know what you're doing, but don't be afraid to poke around and explore. :thumbup:

Jack Sparrow xda

Jun 22, 2014
Motorola Atrix 2
Moto X 2014
Thanks @1BadWolf for clarifying things further :D

Since GApps install in system partition, here are few questions:

1. How do I know the size of the system partition and available free space in it? I explored the the folders mentioned by you in the root explorer and got what you said. But couldn't find how to asses the size of the system partition.

2. How do I include few more apps in the GApps? For eg Gmail, GMaps, Airdroid, Sygic, Translate, Chrome etc are few apps which I always keep in my phone so I think its better to include them in the GApps. But how do I do that? Can I find original apk file of those apps somewhere?

3. If I include those apps in the GApps, will they continue getting updated from play store?

4. Can I re-flash new modified GApps on existing custom ROM I am currently having on system 1 without need of fresh install?

1BadWolf

Aug 12, 2012
Nowhere, Louisiana
Thanks @1BadWolf for clarifying things further :D

Since GApps install in system partition, here are few questions:

1. How do I know the size of the system partition and available free space in it? I explored the the folders mentioned by you in the root explorer and got what you said. But couldn't find how to asses the size of the system partition.

2. How do I include few more apps in the GApps? For eg Gmail, GMaps, Airdroid, Sygic, Translate, Chrome etc are few apps which I always keep in my phone so I think its better to include them in the GApps. But how do I do that? Can I find original apk file of those apps somewhere?

3. If I include those apps in the GApps, will they continue getting updated from play store?

4. Can I re-flash new modified GApps on existing custom ROM I am currently having on system 1 without need of fresh install?

#1- If you're using Root Explorer just navigate to the /system folder. You'll see the amount of memory used and the amount available near the top of the screen. (See attached screenshot)

#2- I use Titanium Backup to convert certain apps to system apps then, also with TiBu, create a flashable zip with the apps. It's an extra zip to flash but only takes a few seconds to do it. If you just prefer to put them in with gapps, you can copy them with Root Explorer then insert them in the zip with ZArchiver . The TiBu method is better though because it'll even restore the app settings if you want it to.

#3-Yes.

#4-Yes.

Attachments

• 1404877446242.jpg
    1404877446242.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 93

Jack Sparrow xda

Jun 22, 2014
Motorola Atrix 2
Moto X 2014
#1- If you're using Root Explorer just navigate to the /system folder. You'll see the amount of memory used and the amount available near the top of the screen. (See attached screenshot)
Strangely its showing 354 MB used and only 123 MB free. Then I tried to see whats cache partition has consumed and it shows 44kb used, 288mb free (I am on ART). Data is showing 1.3gb used, 3.3gb free.

Where my rest of the internal memory has gone? :eek:

Right now I don't have any partition, neither the root explorer is showing clockworkmod folder anywhere!

EDIT : Well I explored bit more in the root explorer and found few more folders where its showing space consumption:
/preinstall : 15mb used, 260mb free
/dev : 136kb used, 420mb free.
/pds : 1.1 mb used, 2.8mb free
/data/tmp : 4.0kb used, 420mb free
vendor : 354mb used, 123mb free (showing title is system storage)

Any idea whats happening here?

Last edited:
Strangely its showing 354 MB used and only 123 MB free. Then I tried to see whats cache partition has consumed and it shows 44kb used, 288mb free (I am on ART). Data is showing 1.3gb used, 3.3gb free.

Right now I don't have any partition, neither the root explorer is showing clockworkmod folder anywhere!

EDIT : Well I explored bit more in the root explorer and found few more folders where its showing space consumption:

O dear..i dont knw the reason of your struggle...But yes you can find Clockworkmod folder inside \root\Data folder

Just wipe out all systems and dont repartition the system 1 ever..just leave it as it is...without tinkering the System 1 partitions...
Can we start from the beginning ?? that will giv us a a better perspective of your issue

Answer me this question :
1) Which OS were you on SYSTEM 1 ?? JB Leak 3 or ICS ?
I was on JB Leak 3 ...
When i flashed JB Leak 3 on my phone.. It freed 6 GB internal space...If u r really bothered for internal memory just try this :
1) Flash JB Leak 3
2) Then install BMM
3) Activate System 2 ....
Now Format System 1 and install Any Kitkat ROM

DONT EVER TRY TO DELETE SYSTEM 1 PARTITIONS... JUST FORMAT WHEN REQUIRED
That shold give you 6.4 GB of internal space

Jack Sparrow xda

Jun 22, 2014
Motorola Atrix 2
Moto X 2014
Thanks for the replies.
I was on ICS.

I was on JB Leak 3 ...
When i flashed JB Leak 3 on my phone.. It freed 6 GB internal space...If u r really bothered for internal memory just try this :
1) Flash JB Leak 3
2) Then install BMM

Did you have 6 GB when you had ICS or GB?

How did you flash JB? Using BMM or any other way? I have become familiar with BMM and it looks easy to me. Please provide link of the threads I would need for flashing.

Thanks for the replies.

I was on ICS.

How did you flash JB? Using BMM or any other way? I have become familiar with BMM and it looks easy to me. Please provide link of the threads I would need for flashing.

Yes..the Problem with MB865 indian version on ICS is we dont have access to the internal memory
When we flash to JB Leak 3...We are now accessible to Internal memory...After having JB Leak 3 on sys 1 .. . Any rom you install over Sys1 is going to give u access to all of the INTERNAL memory

Go to this thread for JB LEak 3 installation

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2092107

Or

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2093154

Root method is already posted in the thread
After you root check the internal space u get
Then install BMM according to the instructions
then flash kitkat . You are good to GO :)

P>S : This doesnt work on AT&T .... and You have to flash an SBF file via RSD Lite....Go through the complete instructions first
Here is a video for the same showing the whole installation process in case you are not used to RSD Flashing :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p6GHpDX9qA

Go through this video all should be clear :)

Last edited:

Jack Sparrow xda

Jun 22, 2014
Motorola Atrix 2
Moto X 2014
Yes..the Problem with MB865 indian version on ICS is we dont have access to the internal memory
When we flash to JB Leak 3...We are now accessible to Internal memory...After having JB Leak 3 on sys 1 .. . Any rom you install over Sys1 is going to give u access to all of the INTERNAL memory

Thanks swaggy123 for the links but now a confusion, I don't have stock ICS ROM on my phone and running a kitkat ROM in system 1. The flashing steps are for the stock ICS I think. How do I install the JB leak now over the current Kitkat? And my phone is already rooted, do I need to unroot it?

Another thing I noticed in the JB leak thread that the Motorola had removed webdock support in the their JB and I guess that webdock thing was consuming the extra space. Isn't there any other way to remove the webdock related things from the phone. Maybe we can free up the space if its possible to remove webdock things.

noranora

Jul 23, 2013
Thanks swaggy123 for the links but now a confusion, I don't have stock ICS ROM on my phone and running a kitkat ROM in system 1. The flashing steps are for the stock ICS I think. How do I install the JB leak now over the current Kitkat? And my phone is already rooted, do I need to unroot it?

Another thing I noticed in the JB leak thread that the Motorola had removed webdock support in the their JB and I guess that webdock thing was consuming the extra space. Isn't there any other way to remove the webdock related things from the phone. Maybe we can free up the space if its possible to remove webdock things.

As for flashing thing, just do a normal fxz through rsd. Boot into fastboot mode and voila. Basically you'll get stock rom on your phone. So you need to root it if you want to embark on flashing custom roms. As for other things, nah. I'll leave to swaggy to answer :p btw, jb leak was never officially released to our device.

Sent from my MB865 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jack Sparrow xda

Jun 22, 2014
Motorola Atrix 2
Moto X 2014
As for flashing thing, just do a normal fxz through rsd. Boot into fastboot mode and voila. Basically you'll get stock rom on your phone.
Actually I am not familiar with FXZ, neither I know whats RSD. And that fastboot? is that the boot menu which we get on stock phone by pressing volume+power buttons? How to get that back? And stock ROM? I am running Kitkat ROM right now and don't have stock ROM with me so how will I get the stock rom back? Or you mean flashing that JB leak ROM? But how exactly to flash that over a Kitkat ROM? There aren't any clear cut instructions, whichever are available seems like for PROs only. :(

I know only one thing - BMM, nothing else. Even I rooted my phone long ago after updating to official ICS :cyclops:

Keep Calm !!

Actually I am not familiar with FXZ, neither I know whats RSD. And that fastboot? is that the boot menu which we get on stock phone by pressing volume+power buttons? How to get that back? And stock ROM? I am running Kitkat ROM right now and don't have stock ROM with me so how will I get the stock rom back? Or you mean flashing that JB leak ROM? But how exactly to flash that over a Kitkat ROM? There aren't any clear cut instructions, whichever are available seems like for PROs only. :(

I know only one thing - BMM, nothing else. Even I rooted my phone long ago after updating to official ICS :cyclops:

Ok .. i sense PANIC around here :p
You have got a valid question there....Even i am also not sure if we can try JB Leak 3 over custom ROMs running on System 1 ..because i never needed to FXZ...One thing for sure u can FXZ to ICS without any issue....
So i suggest first FXZ to ICS...then Flash JB Leak 3 according to the video i posted.....It works 100% i guarantee....
Once on JB Leak 3 on system 1 ...you can have the full bounty of 6.2 GB...
Thats all i can suggest...Sorry BRO it seems TEDIOUS....But nothing is simple with our A2...:(
And about removing Webtop FROM stock ICS...I dont think it will be possible....It will cause bootloop...I could be wrong as well...Because when its Atrix2 anything is possible :laugh::laugh:

And this definitely is not for pros my bro....I did all these when i knew nothing about my A2...absolutely nothing :p

Last edited:

noranora

Jul 23, 2013

What pro? :p swaggy and sameer are right. And oh. You might also want to refer to altered's thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1909319

Yes. That fastboot. And what do you mean how to get that back? You can just press the three buttons combination. Bmm just hijack in initial boot process. It is never been a replacement for stock recovery. Grab the jb leak file you want to flash. And follow the step in altered's thread. You can try swaggy method too. Of course which one is appear to be convenient for you. I've never tried it out. Yet. For some reason I'm sticking to ics. And I only use rsd method. You might want to snoop around this forum. Everything is in here. The reason we use rsd for flashing is because some key thing. And jb leak apparently meant to be released from motorola. Somehow I don't really remember it how the story goes :p

devilhunter47

Jun 22, 2012
Kottayam
My wifi not working on jb leaks 1 and 3..working fine with ics and kk..i directly fxz from Axxionkat to jb leak 3..still wifi not working..have tried factory reset repeat fxz etc..any idea guys??

Jack Sparrow xda

Jun 22, 2014
Motorola Atrix 2
Moto X 2014
Mu-ha-haa--haaa---haaa...... :D :D :D

Finally made it, now I see 8 GB ROM and 5.5GB of Free Space :D

ss2014-09-21_20-57-31_913.jpg

Thanks to everyone helped me to figure it out and thanks to a wrong GApps flashing in the current CM11 build which crashed my phone and I had to FXZ it from scratch :cyclops:

r30857

Apr 19, 2017
Mu-ha-haa--haaa---haaa...... :D :D :D

Finally made it, now I see 8 GB ROM and 5.5GB of Free Space :D

Thanks to everyone helped me to figure it out and thanks to a wrong GApps flashing in the current CM11 build which crashed my phone and I had to FXZ it from scratch :cyclops:
Hi Jack:
Probably it's too late, may I know how to get 8GB on this phone?
I am currently in SlimKat 4.4.4. now!
Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What pro? :p swaggy and sameer are right. And oh. You might also want to refer to altered's thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1909319

Yes. That fastboot. And what do you mean how to get that back? You can just press the three buttons combination. Bmm just hijack in initial boot process. It is never been a replacement for stock recovery. Grab the jb leak file you want to flash. And follow the step in altered's thread. You can try swaggy method too. Of course which one is appear to be convenient for you. I've never tried it out. Yet. For some reason I'm sticking to ics. And I only use rsd method. You might want to snoop around this forum. Everything is in here. The reason we use rsd for flashing is because some key thing. And jb leak apparently meant to be released from motorola. Somehow I don't really remember it how the story goes :p

Try this for fxz to jb leak

its a great guide with pictures, all details like RSD, fastboot are given here

O dear..i dont knw the reason of your struggle...But yes you can find Clockworkmod folder inside \root\Data folder

Just wipe out all systems and dont repartition the system 1 ever..just leave it as it is...without tinkering the System 1 partitions...
    Can we start from the beginning ?? that will giv us a a better perspective of your issue

Answer me this question :
    I was on JB Leak 3 ...
    1) Flash JB Leak 3
    2) Then install BMM

Thanks for the replies.

I was on ICS.

Or

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2093154

Root method is already posted in the thread
    After you root check the internal space u get
    Then install BMM according to the instructions
    then flash kitkat . You are good to GO :)

P>S : This doesnt work on AT&T .... and You have to flash an SBF file via RSD Lite....Go through the complete instructions first
    Here is a video for the same showing the whole installation process in case you are not used to RSD Flashing :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p6GHpDX9qA

Go through this video all should be clear :)

As for flashing thing, just do a normal fxz through rsd. Boot into fastboot mode and voila. Basically you'll get stock rom on your phone. So you need to root it if you want to embark on flashing custom roms. As for other things, nah. I'll leave to swaggy to answer :p btw, jb leak was never officially released to our device.