Configure FireTV with XBMC, then backup to restore to 2nd unit

Search This thread

DHeffernan

Dec 2, 2012
Hi all,

I just configured a FireTV with XBMC and bunch of addons etc.. What I want to do now is backup that xbmc configuration so that I can restore the same thing on another unit that I plan to sell.

I used adbFire to backup XBMC but I'm not sure it doesn't look like it pulled a lot of the files down or properly.

Can someone tell me how I can go about achieving what I want? Thanks!

collindv

Jun 28, 2007
Hi all,

I just configured a FireTV with XBMC and bunch of addons etc.. What I want to do now is backup that xbmc configuration so that I can restore the same thing on another unit that I plan to sell.

I used adbFire to backup XBMC but I'm not sure it doesn't look like it pulled a lot of the files down or properly.

Can someone tell me how I can go about achieving what I want? Thanks!

There is an add on you can download under programs within XBMC that will back everything up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DHeffernan

Dec 2, 2012
There is an add on you can download under programs within XBMC that will back everything up.

Yah I found that addon its XBMC Backup.

However once I did it and saved the thing on the sdcard folder of the FireTV, how exactly do I get it off?

I know I can use the adb pull command, however that would take forever as god knows how many files are there..

collindv

Jun 28, 2007
If the boxes are rooted you can use stickmount to mount an external USB drive, then transfer the backups there (or potentially backup straight there if the add on settings allow it)

modstore

Sep 3, 2014
Yah I found that addon its XBMC Backup.

However once I did it and saved the thing on the sdcard folder of the FireTV, how exactly do I get it off?

I know I can use the adb pull command, however that would take forever as god knows how many files are there..

Or use Sambadroid to setup a share, and transfer it over from there.

bh1644

Sep 27, 2014
Or use Sambadroid to setup a share, and transfer it over from there.

this method works great, you can even create a Robocopy batch file to periodically backup your entire XBMC folder...
something like:

Code:
@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL

SET _source="\\sambadroid\sdcard\Android\data\org.xbmc.xbmc\files\.xbmc"
SET _dest="C:\XBMC_Backups\Fire_TV"

SET _what=  /MIR /ZB /R:1 /W:1 /XO /XD "RECYCLER" "SIS Common Store" "System Volume Information" 
:: /MIR :: MIRror a directory tree 
:: /ZB :: copy files in Backup mode. 
:: /R:n :: number of Retries
:: /W:n :: Wait time between retries
:: /XD :: eXclude the following Directories

SET _options=/LOG+:"C:\XBMC_Backups\Fire_TV\FireTV.txt"  /NDL /TEE
:: /LOG :: output LOG file
:: /NFL :: No File Logging
:: /NDL :: No Dir Logging 

ROBOCOPY %_source% %_dest% %_what% %_options%

of course changing the local path to wherever you want to place the backup on your PC and changing "org.xbmc.xbmc" depending on what version of XBMC you installed... the official location is org.xbmc.xbmc
tv.ouya.xbmc (XBMC for Ouya) or com.semperpax.spmc (SPMC)

Last edited: