[ROM][4/15/11]Blackhole[4.4]

Search This thread

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Thanks to Adrynalyn and his mystery source, we now have a new Froyo drop: EC01. No more bastardized hybrids, this is a pure EC01 rom, Deodexed, Debinged, and given the Blackhole overhaul.

Features:
Includes the latest EC01 mods by Sbrissen (No Full Batt popup, Reboot options, Clock Options, Acc Batt., 6 Lockscreens, Music controls, AOSP Phone answer)
Lockscreen is now changed through the "LockScreen Settings" application.
Standalone version includes Gallery, Music Player, Video Player, Browser, Calendar, Calculator, etc.

At this point I don't believe there will be any more Rom Manager releases, but I will be working on the ACS release as soon as I can find some time.

This is a Clockworkmod 2.x (green or red) flash, if you have Clockworkmod 3.x installed (orange) check out this link for an odin file to restore Red Cwm: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=556634&d=1301538947

Still having some problems with the neverending bootloop if you wipe /data so DON'T! If you're coming from stock or Superclean, or an older Blackhole rom there is no need. If you're coming from AOSP you should be fine too. If you're coming from Kaosinate or MIUI then you'll probably need to flash or odin back to stock before flashing this, but I haven't tested. After this rom is flashed do not wipe /data.

MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP

Now that all that's out of the way, enjoy the release of Blackhole 4.4!

Thanks to Adrynalyn and his mystery source, we now have a new Froyo drop: EC01. No more bastardized hybrids, this is a pure EC01 rom, Deodexed, Debinged, and given the Blackhole overhaul.

Features:
Includes the latest EC01 mods by Sbrissen (No Full Batt popup, Reboot options, Clock Options, Acc Batt., 6 Lockscreens, Music controls, AOSP Phone answer)
Standalone version includes Gallery, Music Player, Video Player, Browser, Calendar, Calculator, etc.

At this point I don't believe there will be any more Rom Manager releases, but I will be working on the ACS release as soon as I can find some time.

This is a Clockworkmod 2.x (green or red) flash, if you have Clockworkmod 3.x installed (orange) check out this link for an odin file to restore Red Cwm: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=556634&d=1301538947

Still having some problems with the neverending bootloop if you wipe /data so DON'T! If you're coming from stock or Superclean, or an older Blackhole rom there is no need. If you're coming from AOSP you should be fine too. If you're coming from Kaosinate or MIUI then you'll probably need to flash or odin back to stock before flashing this, but I haven't tested. After this rom is flashed do not wipe /data.

Edit: Thanks to GizmoDroid I have made changes to the install script that successfully allow you to wipe /data before or after this rom is flashed.

MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP

www.androiddoes.net/~sonofskywalker3/Fascinate/Rom/Blackhole_Fascinate_4.4SA.zip

And for everyone, coming soon: A whole new way to Build-Your-Own-Rom. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

kidserious

Feb 11, 2011
That's what I wanted to hear!!! But, I need to know how to flash back to a previous version of CWM recovery via rom manager. I flashed the 3.0 before I knew the problems it would cause. What do I need to do to be able to snag Blackhole 4.3? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium App

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Yeah, between my life and their host its been hard to find time for this, but I'm glad to be working on the fascinate again. As crappy as samsung is, at least they're not suing us (sony) or bricking our phones for using unauthorized software (3ds). As far as the clockwork revert, I'll have files and instructions in the linked post tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Reactions: TheRedBull

dricacho

Oct 9, 2010
Los Angeles
It feels as though perhaps EB16 could be the last update for this phone. Do you think this phone will ever see Gingerbread? I haven't read this anywhere, just personal gut feeling. What is your take on this?

Last edited:

kidserious

Feb 11, 2011
Yeah, between my life and their host its been hard to find time for this, but I'm glad to be working on the fascinate again. As crappy as samsung is, at least they're not suing us (sony) or bricking our phones for using unauthorized software (3ds). As far as the clockwork revert, I'll have files and instructions in the linked post tomorrow.

Awesome!! Thanks SOS3 for all that you do. We love your roms. Maybe a dumb question but is 4.3 gonna have adryn's new EB16 working voodoo as one of the choices for the kernel?

chrisexv6

Nov 14, 2010
It feels as though perhaps EB16 could be the last update for this phone. Do you think this phone will ever see Gingerbread? I haven't read this anywhere, just personal gut feeling. What is your take on this?

Ned a little more info.

Will this phone see Gingerbread from Samsung or the people that actually know how to program? :)

I think getting Froyo was a big step because it was sooooo much different than 2.1. Difference between 2.2 and higher arent as huge, and 2.2+ is based on 2.2, so chances are we'll get there someday, with or without the "official" label.

dmasjz45

Sep 9, 2010

You do know kaos is on the verge of releasing what we all expect to be a stable version of gb right?

SeatownGST

Sep 15, 2010
Hopefully there will be some really close version tracking since there's been such a flurry of software tweaks for this phone!!!

thanks devs for your efforts!! I was a blackhole fanatic when I rooted since the update portal was so easy!!

avhokie

Dec 16, 2007
Sweet! I was wonder if 4.21 was the end of the line for Blackhole. Looking forward to your next release! :)

phooky

Nov 3, 2010
For those who aren't good at reading between the lines, sonofskywaker3 is trying to tell us that the Blackhole 4.3 rom is currently available for VIP members at the link in the OP. :)

Enjoy!

Thanks for a great rom!

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009

See Below:

Ned a little more info.

Will this phone see Gingerbread from Samsung or the people that actually know how to program? :)

I think getting Froyo was a big step because it was sooooo much different than 2.1. Difference between 2.2 and higher arent as huge, and 2.2+ is based on 2.2, so chances are we'll get there someday, with or without the "official" label.

Like chrisexv6 says, Official Gingerbread from Samsung? I doubt it. That being said if there ever is a Gingerbread Rom, official or not, based on the Touchwiz Framework I'll update Blackhole to it, However I have no plans to make a CM7 version, or an AOSP version, simply because I'm starting to have trouble finding time to work on things, and I don't want the current project to suffer like it did when I spent all my time trying to get a vibrant version working. I'm sticking with stock Rom Modification for the Fascinate.

However, Gingerbread Roms based on AOSP or CM will be available and stable because of the work of great devs like Kaos, JT, Adrynalyn, and others.

You do know kaos is on the verge of releasing what we all expect to be a stable version of gb right?

Agreed. It's an exciting time. I'm pretty happy with my Froyo for now tho :)

Legato525

Feb 9, 2011
Great news. Will the eb16 kernels work fine with black hole?

Mean Sixteen

Jun 27, 2010
Anyone else not able to click in the link?

Edit: I should add I am on xda app.

Sent through mental telepathy

yutzyscott

May 10, 2010
Anyone else not able to click in the link?

Edit: I should add I am on xda app.

Sent through mental telepathy

Press menu then browser from within the thread in the xda app.

I am noticing that my signal strength is still as low as it would be with t-mobile as my service provider. Anyone know why these roms have worse antenna than the stock eb01 when we are using the same radio? I am a driver and my phone is dropping a lot of calls where it used to have full signal (like in my house). If anyone can help me fix this it would be greatly appreciated. Note:do not tell me to dial *228, I am not a noob.

My phone thinks its smarter than me

yutzyscott

May 10, 2010
If you have the red voodoo recovery as well as the rom manager 3.0 (orange) then you can download the addons for this from rom manager then press cancel when it prompts you for the install. Manually reboot into the red recovery and select install .zip from sd card/choose .zip/clockworkmod/androiddoes.net/sonofskywalker3/fascinate/ then find the corresponding downloaded file such as boot animation or app or theme and manually flash each, one at a time.

note: you do not need to reboot and start over after flashing each individual file. Flash all the files you want then reboot.

My phone thinks its smarter than me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Features:

MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP

Features:

Edit: Thanks to GizmoDroid I have made changes to the install script that successfully allow you to wipe /data before or after this rom is flashed.

MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP

www.androiddoes.net/~sonofskywalker3/Fascinate/Rom/Blackhole_Fascinate_4.4SA.zip

And for everyone, coming soon: A whole new way to Build-Your-Own-Rom. Stay tuned.
    Hey guys, I'm sorry, it's been a busy weekend and I haven't had time till now to get online. If any of you have issues that you haven't been able to resolve with the help of the great members here, please email me personally at sonofskywalker3@androiddoes.net and I'll do my best to help you out tomorrow.

Just a few notes on the comments I've read:

In saying that this is not a bastardized hybrid rom, I'm saying that this rom (the portion of the phones OS that resides on the /system partion) is all straight from the leaked EC01 rom. Superclean 2.9.2 and Blackhole 4.3 were both based on EB01 with some files from other leaked roms for the mesmerize EC10 and EA15 (I think...)

I always reccomend that users wipe data if they can bring themselves too, because it always seems (for me at least) to have less issues. However, It is not required in most cases.

Roms, Kernels and Modems are different things, and because of the variety available I prefer not to include one in the standard rom so users can choose their own.

I recommend that anyone who does have problems with this install (especially if you somehow end up in the bootloop, and if so I'm so sorry, I tested this many times and it didn't happen for me), you should use odin to restore the EB01 full package, boot once, then flash the EC01 radio, an EC10 or ED01 kernel and then the rom.

Voicemail button is mapped to google voice, if you want a dialer with a visual voicemail mapped button let me know and I'll send it to you.

Gmail seems to be the app that acts up the most if you flash a rom without wiping, and I suggest if it's acting wierd that you go to settings > applications > manage apps > gmail > clear storage. Then reboot and open the app and it should sync up.

And a big thanks to all the people who helped answer questions in my short absence, it's because of you this site is still worth visiting.

And lastly, I've recently announced my intention to jump on the bandwagon and upgrade to an HTC Thunderbolt, but I want to assure all of you that I'm still working on releasing Blackhole in the Android Customization Suite, and I'm still planning on continuing to make new versions of the ROM for Fascinate, as I'll be keeping my phone to test with. So don't worry, when/if there's a legit froyo release from VZW/samsung, I'll be right here celebrating with you guys, and Blackhole will continue to be updated. Who knows, if I get any good at Edify scripting I might start updating ROM Manager again for 3.0 recoveries... maybe.

And if any of you are thinking of upgrading to the thunderbolt and would like to contribute to the cost of the device check out http://www.androiddoes.net/content.php?298-SOS-Needs-A-Phone!

Thanks so much guys!

Download link is now up in OP.
    Well I've got the Standalone version of Blackhole Facinate 4.5 ready to go, but I'm working on the Rom Manager version and it's not going well. So far I've been unable to get a Rom Manager/Clockworkmod Recovery combination that actually works. I can flash fine if I use the 3-button startup to get to recovery, but if I use Rom Manager to reboot recovery, or try to flash anything from Rom manager, even the same files, it fails.

Has anyone succesfully been able to get Rom Manager to work with an ED01 rom, and if so please let me know which version of Rom manager, and which recovery you flashed.

The Standalone version will be available on Sunday afternoon to the public, I'll post it here then, but for those of you with early access, you will be able to get it at around 1pm today, once I do some final testing.