urgent help needed.. phone won't boot

Search This thread

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
Ok so I ran into an issue here I've never had before. While I was using my phone, it rebooted on me. Not all that uncommon, but this time, after it turned off, it started vibrating and the camera LED started flashing on every vibrate. I've never seen this before. Holding the power button did nothing, and I had to pull the battery. However, this still didn't solve the issue. As soon as I put the battery back in, it would immediately vibrate, flash the Samsung logo, and then nothing. Holding the power will not do anything. Plugging the phone in for charging will just make it continuously vibrate every second.

I'm really stuck here. This is my only phone and not much idea what is going on. I have not changed anything on my phone in months. I'm somewhat led to believe this is the stuck power button issue, since it will immediately vibrate as soon as I put the battery in. But it would seem odd as I didn't touch the power button when it originally went into that odd LED reboot sequence.

Any ideas??

Raleran

Aug 22, 2007
I'm going to say it's a stuck power button. With your finger flick the back of the phone by the power button a bunch of times.

First, I'm going to say it's amazing how problems occur for different people within a short amount of time.

Second, Thank you 440bro. My phone started acting strangely very similarly to how cgi described and I couldn't figure out what the issue was. When I went to into download mode it would shut off 5 seconds later. I'm really surprised the power button didn't unstick when I was doing that. But I flicked mine a few times and wala, working phone. I was all gearing up to buy a new phone too.

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
First, I'm going to say it's amazing how problems occur for different people within a short amount of time.

Second, Thank you 440bro. My phone started acting strangely very similarly to how cgi described and I couldn't figure out what the issue was. When I went to into download mode it would shut off 5 seconds later. I'm really surprised the power button didn't unstick when I was doing that. But I flicked mine a few times and wala, working phone. I was all gearing up to buy a new phone too.

I've never had the power button issue, but to me the power button clicks very strongly as it normally would. It does not feel as if it is stuck in..
And I can not get it to go any further than the samsung logo for a split second. I can't get it into download or anything.

Raleran

Aug 22, 2007
I've never had the power button issue, but to me the power button clicks very strongly as it normally would. It does not feel as if it is stuck in..
And I can not get it to go any further than the samsung logo for a split second. I can't get it into download or anything.

Hmm, it sounds like your issue is a little different that mine. Mine acted similarly to yours minus the camera flashing. If I put in the battery, it would vibrate, I'd get the logo, then 4 or 5 seconds later it would turn off. If I put it on charger, it would just vibrate every second or so.

Try this. Take your battery out completely, then put it in while holding the vol down button only. See if the download screen pops up. If it does then it's definitely the power button. If that's it, try using a straight pin to scrape out any crud that worked its way between the case and button.

Reactions: cgibsong002

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
Hmm, it sounds like your issue is a little different that mine. Mine acted similarly to yours minus the camera flashing. If I put in the battery, it would vibrate, I'd get the logo, then 4 or 5 seconds later it would turn off. If I put it on charger, it would just vibrate every second or so.

Try this. Take your battery out completely, then put it in while holding the vol down button only. See if the download screen pops up. If it does then it's definitely the power button. If that's it, try using a straight pin to scrape out any crud that worked its way between the case and button.

Sounds the same. However, after getting the logo, it just goes black, then nothing happens after that. On the charger it does the same as yours. It also vibrates every second if I just hold vol down.

The download screen did pop up when i did that. It came up, then went black after maybe 2 seconds.

No amount of flicking or banging this thing is knocking it free. I tried scraping but still nothing. I began to take all the screws out but can't find an easy way to pry the white casing out.

440bro

Oct 14, 2008
Cleveland ROCKS!!!
gsomething.net
You guys wouldn't believe how many people on here have been through what you're going thru. Including me! My button clicked perfectly. It started rebooting while it was sitting on my tool box. So I couldn't imagine it was the power button. One day I stripped it down too almost nothing. While it was stripped I powered it up and decided to flick various areas with my finger. Flicking the power button fixed it! I was like wtf! It happened a couple months later. Instead of stripping, I started flicking! Cures me every time now.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2547025

Reactions: captemo

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
You guys wouldn't believe how many people on here have been through what you're going thru. Including me! My button clicked perfectly. It started rebooting while it was sitting on my tool box. So I couldn't imagine it was the power button. One day I stripped it down too almost nothing. While it was stripped I powered it up and decided to flick various areas with my finger. Flicking the power button fixed it! I was like wtf! It happened a couple months later. Instead of stripping, I started flicking! Cures me every time now.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Well, at least it's reassuring knowing I found my culprit. What isn't so reassuring is that flicking it isn't fixing it. After watching the video for the SII replacement, I'm worried that the switch actually went bad and needs replacement. When you took it apart, how did you disassemble it once you removed all the screws? I tried prying up a bit with a mini screwdriver but I'm worried I'm going to crack the case.

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
wooohoooo

Got it booted back up and working again. Thanks everyone.

I really don't know exactly what the cause was. As the above poster mentioned.. I took the thing fully apart and didn't notice anything odd or stuck. The outer part of the button was fine, nothing dirty or stuck, and then the button itself appeared fine and would click seemingly normally. I just took out the outer part of the button to clean it, and just kind of wiggled around the physical button itself. Reassembled and all good so far. It just booted up now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.