SOLVED!!! - HTC WM6.1 ROM : Missing "Fn Space" function?

Search This thread

khals

Hi folks
I've just upgraded to the new HTC WM6.1 ROM update and, to my horror, found out that I'm unable to type 'ó','á','ð', etc. using the Fn Space combination.

I've tried to apply the 'Tilt keyboard fix' and 'TyTN II keyboard fix' aswell as going through the forums digging for a solution, but to no avail :(

Does anyone know a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

khals

Thanks for your pointer! :)
I tried installing both the "Scandinavian keyboard.cab" and "Nordic Keypad Mapping.cab" but all I get is a " " (space) when I do the Fn Space combination :(

I'm not sure how to install the "XDA_JCEspi2005_Sweden_Input_Kaiser.zip" file. I tried to rename the .zip to .cab but the installation was unsuccessfull

KDKobes

Aug 12, 2007
sorry never noticed, but yea must have been a bad download. I will try to see if i can get it again

Draqula

Oct 15, 2007
Thanks for your pointer! :)
I tried installing both the "Scandinavian keyboard.cab" and "Nordic Keypad Mapping.cab" but all I get is a " " (space) when I do the Fn Space combination :(

I'm not sure how to install the "XDA_JCEspi2005_Sweden_Input_Kaiser.zip" file. I tried to rename the .zip to .cab but the installation was unsuccessfull

Did you remember to soft reset after executing fix cab?

khals

SOLVED!!!

I finally found a solution for this! :D

I'm not quite sure if all these steps are necesary as I'm not going to be retrying this fix as it finally works after days of pulling hairs. Here's what I did:

1. I installed gullum diamond keys and gullum Dansk Diamond keys. Did a reboot, disabled everything in "XT9 Settings...", did a reboot.
2. I changed the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICEMAP/KEYBD/CWSLayout registry value from '1' to '0'. Rebooted.
3. I downloaded duttythroy Disable xt9 and rebooted.

As a side result this also fixed the following issue HTC WM6.1 ROM : Add Recipient to SMS..

Hope this helps anyone stuck with the same problem :)

Macsek

Apr 29, 2007
Budapest
I guess the "disable XT9" is the only part needed in case you are anly misssing accents. I changed the registry manually (two keys), soft reset and it worked

Originally Posted by Bardia Garsha
Originally Posted by ProphetUser07
As far as I've been able to find out, this is caused by XT9 being enabled. I've disabled XT9 on my prophet which has successfully re-enabled word completion and also autocomplete when entering names in the To: field on messages. I've done this by changing the following registry entries and powering the device off and back on:

With XT9 Enabled I Had:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Layouts\e0010409]
"Ime File"="\windows\eT9Ime.dll"
"Layout Text"="eT9 IME"

With XT9 Disabled I Now Have:
"Ime File"="\windows\compime.dll"
"Layout Text"="COMP IME"

*The last 3 digits of the registry key (ie 409) may vary depending on the language code used.

santiargy

Mar 29, 2007
Buenos Aires
didn't work for me

I have been looking in the forum for a solution for the Tilt keyboard. Everytime I ask, someone usually responds pointing me to the Tilt Keyboard Fix cab, that was posted by Taurus Bulba.

However, installing that fix, results in the keyboard being mapped with the ATT layout, by enabling the CWS layout in the registry. This makes every key work as it should, but it kills the Fn+Space combination.

The Fn-Space key combination, typed after a character, changes it to others, as per what is defined in sym049.txt (or whatever symxxx.txt file you have in the windows directory).

For example, if you type an "a", press Fn+Space, you get an á, then à,â, etc. Same with all other characters. This, as you can imagine, is important for those that type in languages other than English, that require accents. And for those that want to use characters not in the keyboard often (like the Euro sign "€" or the british pound sign, "£", the ç, etc.).

I think the issue is with the CWS layout (CWS being Cingular/ATT). That layout doesn't have the Fn+Space in it. The Hermes keyboard had a blue "á" and "ü" written on the top left corner of the Space bar. The Tilt doesn't have those. In fact, if you install the original ATT Rom (no need for keyboard fix there), the Fn+Space combination doesn't work.

The only way I've seen to get Fn-Space back to life is NOT to use the CWS layout that comes from the ATT Keyboard Fix. Using any non ATT Rom will allow you to get Fn-Space, but at the cost of getting many of the other Fn keys mapped wrong. For example, the ! and the @ are swapped, the ; gives you a %, and so on.

Sounds like there should be a new keyboard layout that is 99% like the one resulting from the keybord fix (CWS layout) but that adds the Fn-Space combination to it.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

santiargy

Mar 29, 2007
Buenos Aires
Missing Fn Space - not solved?!!

Unfortunately, the proposed solution didn't work. I think the issue is with CWS layout (CWS being Cingular/ATT). That layout doesn't have the Fn+Space in it. For example, the Hermes keyboard had a blue á ú written on the Space bar. The tilt doesn't have that. In fact, if you install the original ATT Rom, the Fn+Space combination doesn't work.

The only way I've seen to get Fn-Space back to life is not to use the layout that results from the ATT Keyboard Fix (which enables CWS layout in the Registry). However, if you use the English layouts from non ATT Roms you get Fn-Space at the cost of getting many of the other Fn keys mapped the wrong way... For example, the ! and the @ are swapped, the ; gives you a %, and so on.

jukkus

Jul 5, 2007
Didn't work for me either.
Tried both ways. By manually and with that .cab. Both resulting same problem.

I can use those accented characters, but now I can type only numbers with diamond keyboards. :-o If I change registry back to the original. I can write and everything else works, but those accented in harware keyboard.

Last edited:

juanitto80

May 31, 2006
Worked for me

I guess the "disable XT9" is the only part needed in case you are anly misssing accents. I changed the registry manually (two keys), soft reset and it worked

Originally Posted by Bardia Garsha
Originally Posted by ProphetUser07
As far as I've been able to find out, this is caused by XT9 being enabled. I've disabled XT9 on my prophet which has successfully re-enabled word completion and also autocomplete when entering names in the To: field on messages. I've done this by changing the following registry entries and powering the device off and back on:

With XT9 Enabled I Had:
"Ime File"="\windows\eT9Ime.dll"
"Layout Text"="eT9 IME"

With XT9 Disabled I Now Have:
"Ime File"="\windows\compime.dll"
"Layout Text"="COMP IME"

This one worked for me thanks.

picaflor

Sep 24, 2007
Unfortunately, the proposed solution didn't work. (...) .However, if you use the English layouts from non ATT Roms you get Fn-Space at the cost of getting many of the other Fn keys mapped the wrong way... For example, the ! and the @ are swapped, the ; gives you a %, and so on.

Im with you in this problem.... if i press ! i got @ ... etc...

jlariviere

Mar 27, 2008
Rocklin
I may've found another part of my mystery... I was using the stock HTC ROM downloaded from their site set to United States. When the site is set to Europe, the correct one is downloaded.
Jeremie

DAC324

Oct 4, 2010
Final and simple solution

Dear all,

I fiddled around with my old TYTN (Hermes) and none of the solutions found in the net really helped. While it was quite easy to fix the QWERTZ / QWERTY problem on the hardware keyboard (letters Y and Z inverted) the Fn+Space problem was a bit harder to solve. None of the various cab files or other hints really seemed to help.

So here is what I did to finally fix this:

1. copied a sym.0407.txt into the Windows directory using ActiveSync
2. applied the following registry settings:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\keyboard layout]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\keyboard layout\toggle]
"Hotkey"="1"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\keyboard layout\Preload]
@="e0010407"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\keyboard layout\Preload\1]
@="e0010407"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\e0010407]
"Layout Text"="COMP IME"
"Ime File"="compime.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Layouts\e0010409]
"Ime File"="compime.dll"
"Layout Text"="COMP IME"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Active"="e0010407"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\Qwerty]
"Layout"=dword:00020407

With these settings I have Y and Z assigned correctly and the Fn+Space working as well. I guess this will not only work on the TYTN (Hermes) but also on the TYTN II (Kaiser).

Kind regards,
DAC324

Attached are the two files needed (sym.0407.txt and the registry settings file). If somebody could explain me how to make a CAB for them, I will gladly do that, too.

Attachments

• German_keyboard.rar
    727 bytes · Views: 1
Last edited: