Jellybean vs Gingerbread

Search This thread

spider623

Jan 31, 2011
Limassol
i don't agree with your statement that '4.2 is better' and that gb runs smoother or faster on this device only, i actually think that 2.3.x was the best android ever made and it all went downhill from there
show me one device where jb / ics works better than gb and i'll buy you a new car

Nexus 4, you can keep the car

Sent from my Nexus S

alpha-niner64

Mar 7, 2011
Just because I can listen to music on a Sony CD Walkman just as well as a MP3 player doesn't mean I should.

It worked just fine but it is older, clunkier and not as well developed as the player today. Tech moves forward, so should we.

Nuff said :idea:

:crybaby:

I disagree with this sentiment. What makes hacking and having full control worthwhile is seeing how much more you can squeeze out of the things you already have instead of simply throwing money around. It makes you more aware of the limitations of what you have as well as knowing what our phones excel at. Play to those strengths and you can have a legacy as long as the HTC HD2.

newdevo

Jul 7, 2012
exactly my point, you can't argue that something runs jb better if you never ran gb on it

FirePoncho86

Nov 23, 2011
Montréal
You can't argue at all in the nexus 4's case, same with the Gnex. There was alot of under the hood coding changes with regards to multicore devices after ICS. Comparing for comparison s sake can only be done from Nexus S to Nexus S

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

newdevo

Jul 7, 2012
you could basically try any device on the market with support for gb and ics / jb and have the exact same result
i'm not saying ics / jb are bad, i'm saying gb is more efficient

anshumandash

Mar 9, 2011
Yeah. It's an opinion and it will differ from person to person. Some people will say windows xp was/is more efficient than windows 7. Again it's an opinion. Technical reality could be different.

Sent from my Nexus S

newdevo

Jul 7, 2012
Yeah. It's an opinion and it will differ from person to person. Some people will say windows xp was/is more efficient than windows 7. Again it's an opinion. Technical reality could be different.

Sent from my Nexus S

on that subject, in win 7 i could barely run 2 instances of the same game and still noticesome lag, on xp i could run 4 instances and still no lag
but it really depends on what you use it for, i'm pretty sure windows 7 does some things better ... maybe, but for what i actually needed from an os, xp worked better
but that's slightly off topic

Last edited:

kiko22

Aug 18, 2012
Sorry for my english, but I must say one thing!!

WOW! i'm going to do a new thread like this, but you're faster than me!! :p

What about my NS experience?

Early, I was attracted by the upgrade, I wanted only upgrade, new Android version, i wanted only the newer version! But...
... i tried every (+ - ) possibile JB (4.1 or 4.2) but i was never satisfacted by that. The system was often laggy and choppy, with all the rom, also with tweaks and OC. For a long time I used HellyBean or Rasbeanjelly (with DevilKernel o Marmite) but sometimes the system crashed,other times for example, when I opened the messages app, contacts numbers not load immediately and the keyboard did not fit on the screen at once. and this made me nervous!!!

So, after reading a post by thalamus, I wondered if go back to gingerbread would be a good idea.
... Now i'm using CM7.2 , with Franco's Kernel --> the results? --> The phone boot in few seconds ( 10-15 seconds!!), i can OC (and live OC) until 1300mhz (with JB it freezed at 1100mhz), the phone is very very smooth (smoother than first!) and incredibly stable. And with some themes everythings is Holo style. A good launcher instead of Nova? Smart Launcher (only 7mb of ram on 2mb of storage!!!)... and with GB Chainfire3d is good for gaming!

Nexus S is born with Gingerbread, and probably is better with Gingerbread too.. at least for me

Yes, i really love my phone now, and probably i will never return to the run for the latest upgrade.

mr_spatel

Sep 5, 2007
Hi you got a link for that kernel please.

Thanks

WOW! i'm going to do a new thread like this, but you're faster than me!! :p

What about my NS experience?

Early, I was attracted by the upgrade, I wanted only upgrade, new Android version, i wanted only the newer version! But...
... i tried every (+ - ) possibile JB (4.1 or 4.2) but i was never satisfacted by that. The system was often laggy and choppy, with all the rom, also with tweaks and OC. For a long time I used HellyBean or Rasbeanjelly (with DevilKernel o Marmite) but sometimes the system crashed,other times for example, when I opened the messages app, contacts numbers not load immediately and the keyboard did not fit on the screen at once. and this made me nervous!!!

So, after reading a post by thalamus, I wondered if go back to gingerbread would be a good idea.
... Now i'm using CM7.2 , with Franco's Kernel --> the results? --> The phone boot in few seconds ( 10-15 seconds!!), i can OC (and live OC) until 1300mhz (with JB it freezed at 1100mhz), the phone is very very smooth (smoother than first!) and incredibly stable. And with some themes everythings is Holo style. A good launcher instead of Nova? Smart Launcher (only 7mb of ram on 2mb of storage!!!)... and with GB Chainfire3d is good for gaming!

Nexus S is born with Gingerbread, and probably is better with Gingerbread too.. at least for me

Yes, i really love my phone now, and probably i will never return to the run for the latest upgrade.

kiko22

Aug 18, 2012
Sure!

freccia_gi%C3%B9.gif

Attachments

• franco_12_08.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 46

lvnatic

Dec 5, 2010
Iasi
You can see on my signature what ROM I used to run and I gotta say that JB is better, because the newer kernels give around 90MB more RAM which makes a HUGE difference on this phone.
The problem lies on all these CM-based ROMs or other feature-fest ROMs which are very sluggish and full of bugs.
I am running flo's rooted-stock 4.1.2 ROM with latest marmite kernel and this phone is running smooth like it had never done before; I used all kinds of GB ROMs back in the times, from CM to oxygen or stock and it never even came close to what I experience now.
Nexus S has come a long way, and is definetly better.

Reactions: nexususer1

kiko22

Aug 18, 2012
more free ram is useful.. only sometime. With CM7 i have always 90mb free of the "only" 346mb total of Gingerbread. Surely if I open 15 apps in one minutes the more ram of Jellybean is obviusly useful... but it doesn't do the difference in daily usage.

Ted Mosby

Jun 18, 2011
Zagreb
Yes, from my experience, that extra RAM is really helpful and really makes difference if you like to multitask. GB is maybe better with gaming, battery is probably way more better than JB, but on other fields JB is absolute winner. For the time being I am running Oxygen also, but I don't see reason why when we have JB 4.1.2 which is, apparently, very well optimized by our devs :)

Onemoa

Oct 1, 2010
Ewa Beach
i don't agree with your statement that '4.2 is better' and that gb runs smoother or faster on this device only, i actually think that 2.3.x was the best android ever made and it all went downhill from there
show me one device where jb / ics works better than gb and i'll buy you a new car

My Note 2 runs jelly bean way better then GB.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts