Internal memory...

Search This thread

Jorsher

Why does it only show me 1.23GB available fresh out of the box?

I understand the OS itself takes up room, but I know it can't take up 2.5ishGB of it.

Do we really only have 1.5GB internal memory like the Desire Z despite the 4GB claimed on the T-Mobile and HTC websites?

ericc191

Jan 28, 2007
West Fork
Someone brought up that the space might be set aside for Gingerbread which drops later this year. Could be it.

Jorsher

Someone brought up that the space might be set aside for Gingerbread which drops later this year. Could be it.

As nice as that would be, they wouldn't do that and it'd be extra trouble on HTC's part to accomplish...nothing. Even if Gingerbread was a ridiculously major update, it wouldn't account for another 2.5gb of space...

I think the truth is, we got 1.5gb instead of the claimed 4gb.

oldsk00lz

Nov 14, 2008
I was thinking that they may have partitioned off a FAT32 section which you could mount to. Vibrant and the Gentouch have done that. Though from a post on tmobiles board, it didn't look like the missing amount was mounted. Total for the partitions was 2169356.

Hmmm..

What do you see when you plug in your USB, just the SDCard, or do you get a notice about an internal memory as well?

-oldsk00lz

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Perhaps someone with a G2 on hand could install ConnectBot and run the command

cat /proc/partitions

and post the result here

veritas17

Sep 13, 2006
Ohio
Perhaps someone with a G2 on hand could install ConnectBot and run the command

cat /proc/partitions

and post the result here

major minor #blocks name
179 0 2203648 mmcb1k0

lord there's so many for me to type it'd be ridic, how do I take a screen shot with the phone so I can upload it? Basically though I go from 0 to 33 in that minor category.

I wonder why I have so many partitions (I'm assuming that's what these all are)

burbs

Jun 20, 2010
If it doesn't have the claimed 4GB, then maybe someone can start a class action lawsuit?

keyl10

Feb 21, 2010
I'm not upset enough that I'd push for a lawsuit, but I do feel kind of let down :p I don't even think I'll use the full 1.5gb, but I expected 4gb and didn't get what I expected.

They advertised it as 4GB, so it must have 4GB. If it doesn't then the class action lawsuit will come and you won't even have to do a thing other than reap a small reward. I feel confident that there is 4GB in there, even if it isn't user accessible.

Jorsher

They advertised it as 4GB, so it must have 4GB. If it doesn't then the class action lawsuit will come and you won't even have to do a thing other than reap a small reward. I feel confident that there is 4GB in there, even if it isn't user accessible.

Yeah, I understand it would come and I'd expect it to, just saying that personally I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Honestly I don't see why they'd make it inaccessible, at least not 2.5gb of it. I'm thinking it's only 1.5gb to match the Desire Z hardware, since everything else is the same as far as hardware.

Neoprimal

Apr 20, 2007
Alexandria, VA
I could be wrong (I don't have a G2). On my vibrant the available space is saying 12.75GB under "Phone storage" but only 1.47 under "Application storage".

I suspect that there's a set application storage area in android up to maybe 1.5GB and then the rest is for the OS and other data (music, movies, files, etc). The Vibrant's storage is 16GB which translates to around 15.xx. Then Android is taking up 1 or so and pre-installed apps only a tiny fraction (50MB or less)...that's why I'm showing 12.75. It's the remainder of the 15-Android (1 or so GB maybe less)+App Space (1.5GB)

WarBird87

Sep 30, 2010
Clearwater FL
^ has anyone called HTC and asked why they might only be seeing such low memory when it was supposed to have 4gb? maybe they can give us an answer?

crr127

Jun 20, 2009
i agree about the not really caring on the lawsuit bit. but i'm curious to know where it is lol... we didn't buy these phones pre-order cuz it was cheap lol, so if you need the money get hit by a car. more money and easier just step in front... so suing a company like htc whom we like very much would not be cool... just my .02

larryccf

Nov 23, 2009
i agree about the not really caring on the lawsuit bit. but i'm curious to know where it is lol... we didn't buy these phones pre-order cuz it was cheap lol, so if you need the money get hit by a car. more money and easier just step in front... so suing a company like htc whom we like very much would not be cool... just my .02

errr - as "uncool" as advertising 4GB and not delivering it??

seriously, i suspect it's there, just locked or hidden for whatever purposes

crr127

Jun 20, 2009
i'm sure it is there also. it is a brand new phone, i'm sure it is hiding or waiting to be used for something
apps2sd? using it somehow?