Nandroid Questions

Search This thread

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
How big should the back up be mine was 1.7gb should I factory/reset, wipe cache and Davlik then do the back up? I don't mind it being 1.7gb just want to make sure I have a solid backup before I flash a ROM?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

Last edited:

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
How big should the back up be mine was 1.7gb should I factory/reset, wipe cache and Davlik then do the back up? I don't mind it being 1.7gb just want to make sure I have a solid backup before I flash a ROM?

Mine are typically right at 1 GB (or right below it). I'm not sure what the point of the backup would be if you factory reset prior to lol. I'm not certain what would cause one to be that large.

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Originally Posted by Simba501
"Mine are typically right at 1 GB (or right below it). I'm not sure what the point of the backup would be if you factory reset prior to lol. I'm not certain what would cause one to be that large."

I just want a safe back up on my SDcard if I ever have any problems after installing a custom ROM I don't care if it is with no apps easy to reinstall apps then reflashing Entropy Stock/Root and still having to install apps.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Simba501

votinh

Jul 6, 2011

I just want a safe back up on my SDcard if I ever have any problems after installing a custom ROM I don't care if it is with no apps easy to reinstall apps then reflashing Entropy Stock/Root and still having to install apps.....

Why do you need a Nandroid Backup?
Ans: you already provided the answer in your post ""I just want a safe back up on my SDcard if I ever have any problems ..."

It is for your own, you can do nb once for every hour or once a year, it's up to you.

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Why do you need a Nandroid Backup?
Ans: you already provided the answer in your post ""I just want a safe back up on my SDcard if I ever have any problems ..."

It is for your own, you can do nb once for every hour or once a year, it's up to you.
Confused..... Please read my OP... That response was to Simba501 why I would "factory/reset" Then nandroid my first nandroid was 1.7gb just trying to figure out why it was so Big when most people's are 300mb to 1gb.

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Bump.... Matt , Wink anyone else, can I clear cache/dalvik in CWM on my stock ROM with no problems? I'm trying to get my Nandroid under 1g? Something doesn't seem right it being 1.7gb?

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
Update: After looking in the CWM backup the file sizes are.

.android_secure.vfat.tar 885mb

data.ext4.tar 322mb

system.ext4.tar 462mb

Any ideas what I can do to get the Nandroid file size smaller?

Slavestate

Sep 7, 2010
www.descentrecords.com
You've got 800+ mb of apps and data installed on the internal SD. The .android_secure file is well, a backup of the entire .android_secure folder. When you go to Manage Apps and tell the phone to "move to SD card" (some apps just install there on their own) this is where they go.
My backups are about the same size as yours but I've got like 102 apps installed, and quite a few are 20+ mb games.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Edgarhighman

Dec 2, 2011
My first backup was 730mb my latest backup is 1.58gb eel

Cwm finally put my backup on the external_SD instead of the internal USB sd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA

snipe2nite

Aug 1, 2011
NorCal, Bay Area
You've got 800+ mb of apps and data installed on the internal SD. The .android_secure file is well, a backup of the entire .android_secure folder. When you go to Manage Apps and tell the phone to "move to SD card" (some apps just install there on their own) this is where they go.
My backups are about the same size as yours but I've got like 102 apps installed, and quite a few are 20+ mb games.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
I did move some games to the SD card but then I factory reset I did tick "format USB storage" before I rooted it then flashed Entroys kernel. I only have like 20 apps installed now. So I guess there are apps stored in some old folder I have searched all over for the folder or folders can't find them anywhere..... Any help where to look?

Fusion777

Oct 23, 2010
Los Angeles
That much data with that few apps suggest maybe you have some video or music files getting lumped in there. Hard to say for sure, but I agree 1.7 seems like way too much. Try installing TiBu and back up your apps, then take a look and see how big the backups are. This might provide some more granular clues. I highly suggest the TiBu pro batch feature... Save u a lot of time in general

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Mine are typically right at 1 GB (or right below it). I'm not sure what the point of the backup would be if you factory reset prior to lol. I'm not certain what would cause one to be that large."