Upcoming new phones and their comparison to the Galaxy Nexus Specs.

Search This thread

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
All new released, rumored or announced devices should be discussed here. Please keep it relevant to the Galaxy Nexus with specs comparisons. I will tolerate no flaming or trolling in here and will not hesitate to issue infractions after first warning. Please behave appropriately like the intelligent mature community I know you are.
Thanks
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Igotsanevo4g

Aug 28, 2010
San Diego
So what's everyone's thoughts on the One x and subsequent variants in comparison to the GN? Specifically Evo lte vs sprint GN.

Of course software and development will kill compared to the evo, but is the hardware improvements enough to overcome that?
Sure want to stay in the nexus family from my crespo4g, but that S4 chip is looking mighty fine.

Wilsonium

Aug 24, 2011
Central Valley, CA
I'm with the Nexus from now on...

I'm with the Nexus from now on. I came from a long list of carrier branded phones and the lack of bloatware and other junk the carriers heap on you was refreshing on the Nexus. Updates direct from Google as soon as available, not after the carrier spends 6 months adding junk. Also, since this is a "developers" phone, the Nexus community is very active and brings more flexibility.

Reactions: Akoolive

Paleryder

Apr 12, 2011
Chicago
Microsoft Surface Duo
GN all the way if your a flashing zombie no phone will get the dev that a nexus will. Unlocked boot loaders -huge plus-, look at the evo 3d old phone same specs as our new GN. We've almost caught Dev.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

W

WiredPirate

+1 for Nexus phones! Couldn't go back to a non-Nexus even though the specs may be better. Firmware > hardware, imo.

BeerChameleon

Aug 21, 2008
Tucson,Arizona.
All new released, rumored or announced devices should be discussed here. Please keep it relevant to the Galaxy Nexus with specs comparisons. I will tolerate no flaming or trolling in here and will not hesitate to issue infractions after first warning. Please behave appropriately like the intelligent mature community I know you are.
Thanks

Your name is red too :eek:

I am shocked they gave all mods even senior mods the same color, i am not a fan of the new red :(

Anyway

Getting galaxy nexus in 10 days, I can't wait for my first nexus device :D

Reactions: kljoki

iulipepe

Oct 19, 2010
Amsterdam
Personal opinion

I got my nexus 2 months ago. I can tell that I am happy with it specwise, but I am not happy with the updates (yakjuxw, no 4.0.4 yet). From the performance point of view, HTC One X and S beat the SGS3, but all the custom skins make me not want to buy one and for the moment there are no applications that require 4 cores. I acquired the nexus just for vanilla and for not rooting it (my old htc hero was rooted and I tried all the available custom roms on it). So, as a conclusion, I am 90% happy with the Gnex as long as I can play Fifa 2012 and watch sopcast streams on it.

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
I went for the Gnex over the evo... I don't see any benefit other than the faster processor but much more limited development, a non-removeable battery, and its not a nexus :p . I get my gnex tomorrow I ordered it today =]

ap3604

Feb 20, 2010

THANK YOU kennyglass123 :)

I was tired of the crazy amount of non-nexus threads cluttering up the Galaxy Nexus forum :(

So any new "What about the SGS III?" or "Who's changing to the One X?" type threads that pop up outside of this one we should flag so you can lock that particular thread right?

Reactions: axne1 and KennyG123

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
This is how I personally decided to choose between the new S3 and Nexus, the S3 has;
-microSD
-better camera (8v5)
-bigger battery (2100 vs 1750, although latter has extended battery)
-slightly larger screen (4.8 v 4.65)
-faster cpu and gpu
-(eventually it will get CM9 and AOPK as well)

Nexus
-curved body, less ugly (opinion)
-better softwares (stock + updates)
-pentaband
-$340 cheaper (S3 16gb released price $739 VAT included vs Nexus $400, used low as $350)
-(USB OTG can alleviate the needs for microSD)

So choosing between the two weights on whether I want to pay the $340 difference for the hardware improvement, my decision is no. I can live with lower megapixels, 4.65" is fine, S3 hardware is faster but practically Nexus can do all the tasks. So I ended up ordering the Nexus. However, I'm waiting to see how much the S3 prices drop by Christmas. I predict since its a part of a popular flagship series and quadcore is still new, the price won't drop as fast as the Nexus did, which nearly half its price in 6 months. I will more likely wait for the next Nexus device if its announced by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: KennyG123

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
I had an evo4g and that development was amazing... from cm7 and to myns to mik, etc it was great and amazing device that actually pull me from iphone... I will never forget my og evo but seems the circumstances with lock boot loader ans s on is a gamble so I'll stick secure with my nexus I got the nexus just 2 weeks ago and coming from an iphone I'm so much happy.. the ICS experience aosp is the beat IMO sure htc makes something look nice for some people but now I think aosp look so much better IMO :D I will definwtwly get an evo late just to play with it tho because I can't really judge till I have it reall

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: airon23

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!

I was tired of the crazy amount of non-nexus threads cluttering up the Galaxy Nexus forum :(

So any new "What about the SGS III?" or "Who's changing to the One X?" type threads that pop up outside of this one we should flag so you can lock that particular thread right?

Yes please. Or you can even PM me directly with the link. Whatever is easiest. LOL....sometimes I sit here and don't know where to start when cleaning up.

W

WiredPirate

Yes please. Or you can even PM me directly with the link. Whatever is easiest. LOL....sometimes I sit here and don't know where to start when cleaning up.

I really appreciate you creating this thread. I felt like I was drowning in SGSIII threads.

KennyG123

Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
No thank you guys for helping out. This was the best compromise I could think of. If it works out and everyone wants it I can turn it into a full blown off-topic sticky.

Reactions: darkierawr

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
I am shocked they gave all mods even senior mods the same color, i am not a fan of the new red :(
Nah, some of us are special ;)

IMO, at the moment, none of the competing handsets are that much better than the Nexus to warrant changing but if you were due an upgrade, the likes of the One X or the Galaxy S3 have got to be worthy of consideration.

And the idea that you choose your handset based on firmware strikes me as rather odd. That's pretty much the antithesis of the purpose of XDA, which is that your handset is never limited to the firmware it ships with.
You buy a handset based on the hardware then make the firmware fit your needs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks

I can not see my self ever getting anything other than the a Nexus ... I'll likely buy a new one every year. Right now I don't see any other phone that makes me want to stray from my decision.

Nah, some of us are special ;)

IMO, at the moment, none of the competing handsets are that much better than the Nexus to warrant changing but if you were due an upgrade, the likes of the One X or the Galaxy S3 have got to be worthy of consideration.

And the idea that you choose your handset based on firmware strikes me as rather odd. That's pretty much the antithesis of the purpose of XDA, which is that your handset is never limited to the firmware it ships with.
    You buy a handset based on the hardware then make the firmware fit your needs.
    The only thing I disagree with in these post is Dev support and roms.....The Gnex has about a third of the Roms and Development as the SGSII....especially the I777. It was also like that on The last Nexus.

killing is my business, And business is good.

Only because we don't:

• Use zip roms
    • have GB and ICS roms
    • Have touchwiz roms
    • Have a need for debloat roms

I can live with that.