Android 4.2.1 Update

Search This thread

celawi

Nov 8, 2010
Just got the update, says 4.2 and 1.1MB. Does this mess up root again, don't have my computer for a few days so i don't want to be without OTG (again xD)?

jocke_lulle

Jan 1, 2011
Piteå
For those of you who got the update, what can you say about it? Are any of the bugs present in 4.2 taken care of?

Sent from my Nexus 7

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
Just got the update, says 4.2 and 1.1MB. Does this mess up root again, don't have my computer for a few days so i don't want to be without OTG (again xD)?

Yes it will. All OTA updates (that I've seen) do this because they reset file permissions in /system, removing suid flags on executables:
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");

However, an app like RootKeeper should probably work. Otherwise, you can open up the zip, and add a line to restore suid root access on your su binary.

Reactions: Visa Declined

andrew2511

Nov 26, 2008

Yes, on mine it messed up root so you have to flash again the supersu package for the root :)

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus

samm1e

Nov 24, 2006
Anyone updated to 4.2.1 please check if android restart then keyboard ctrl-space layout change bug is fixed!!!! Thank you.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Yeehaw!

The problems with 4.2 seem to be corrected by just doing a factory reset. Outside of bluetooth and this december "bug", I haven't experienced any speed differences since 4.1.2.

I also would have accepted, "Try smearing more butter on it".

dilldoe

Jul 26, 2012
could someone upload the stock 4.2 build.prop, can't update even after changing my changes

tptp

Jan 22, 2011
Yes it will. All OTA updates (that I've seen) do this because they reset file permissions in /system, removing suid flags on executables:
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0644, "/system");

However, an app like RootKeeper should probably work. Otherwise, you can open up the zip, and add a line to restore suid root access on your su binary.

If you use rootkeeper to preserve root, will you still be able to get OTA updates in the future? Im not sure how it works but it doesn't mess with the actual system does it? Cheers

Erroneus

Dec 29, 2008
Nyborg
www.innews.dk
I have the latest Clockworkmod touch installed (v 6.0.1.9) and it warned me that I would loose root and recovery after I flashed the 4.2.1 update and pressed reboot in the menu. It asked if I wanted to have it fixed, off course I choose yes, didn't loose root or recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know it's always fun to rant about things, but has anyone actually spent the time to LOOK at what this update actually....updates?

I'm not talking about the subjective crap of "my system feels faster" or "I don't like it". I mean opening up the zip file to see what files are being patched? Because then you would actually see what this update is modifying.

This is NOT just a December patch. There are almost 200 files which are being modified in someway. Everything from the calendar app, to bluetooth to a hundred plus other apks and odex files.

Now, I'm not saying that this is going to fix everyone's problems. I haven't even installed it since they haven't released it for the 3G model yet, so I have no idea (objectively or subjectively) what kind of difference it makes. But let's not start spreading false information about how limited this update is without first knowing what we're talking about.
    Thread Cleaned

Please people, this is a development forum, not a chat room to vent personal frustrations. Cut the personal insults and keep it on topic!​
    Or just switch back to 4.1.2.... isn't this the great thing about buying into the pure Google experience? We can do whatever we want and install whatever we want.

As far as Android is these days its still not mature like iOS. We have a ton of innovation and I personally think its surpassed apple when it comes to creativity but when it comes to stability apple reigns supreme. It makes sense as they have complete control over software, hardware and even the apps they allow you to install. Its why iOS has a better "out of the box" experience. Its easy and just works.

It just stuns me the amount of complainers there are here.. clearly Android isn't for you... yet. All your problems can be solved with a little tweaking. Instead of wasting your time complaining why not try resolving the issues and help others. Better than being a negative ass all the time.
    I got exactly the same error as you when I flashed the OTA zip from this very thread, it was checking for Tilapia, and the funny thing is although I am rooted and unlocked, but everything else is stock, I didn't alter any system apps or add custom kernel and also flashing the file in CWM or TWRP made no difference.

It didn't make sense until I saw this post by oldblue910, I guess this will likely happen until we get a recovery adapted for tilapia.

Here you go:
    http://core.routed.com/CUSTOM_RECOVERY-65880f56b1c0.signed-nakasig-JOP40D-from-JOP40C.65880f56.zip

Install that zip. I removed the assert that was breaking.

For anyone else who has:
    1) A Nexus 7 3G
    with
    2) A custom recovery installed

the default OTA update zip will fail, due to the recovery being designed for grouper and not talipia. I have taken the liberty of modifying the updater-script and removed the problematic assert. It will no longer check to make sure your recovery image is stock N73G. Everything else is as-is from the standard Google OTA update.

Enjoy.