Galaxy S Relay 4G Development Thread

Search This thread

COZ'N'EFX

Aug 24, 2009
Does the Relay support USB Host Mode?

Does anyone know if the non-stock ROMs support USB host mode? I'm running 100% stock (haven't rooted or anything), got a S3 USB OTG cable, and have tried it with both a usb card reader and a Fiio E7 USB amp/dac with USB Audio Recorder Pro app, with no luck .

dillalade

Sep 28, 2009
Richmond
Can anyone share there experience with MHL with cm10.1

I tried but gave no output and eventually force rebooted the phone.

Cheers
Well done again teamApexQ.
Props :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda app-developers app

Jax184

Nov 22, 2007
Vancouver
www.jax184.com
Does anyone know if the non-stock ROMs support USB host mode? I'm running 100% stock (haven't rooted or anything), got a S3 USB OTG cable, and have tried it with both a usb card reader and a Fiio E7 USB amp/dac with USB Audio Recorder Pro app, with no luck .

No idea, but our Qualcomm MSM8260A supports it. So in theory it should be there if the software is set up right.

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Issues/questions about nardholio's CM 10.1 rom

I've been using nardholio's excellent CM10.1 rom for a while, and I'm quite happy with it. It works plenty well enough for me to keep using it on my device.

However, there are a few relatively minor issues and questions that have come up for me which I want to discuss ...

1. When using this rom, I notice that WiFi sometimes turns on automatically if I am out of range of a cell signal. This occurs even though I always explicitly set WiFi to "Off". I can't reliably reproduce this yet. It seems to occur maybe 25 percent of the time that I lose the cell signal but am in range of a WiFi hotspot that I have used before. I'm not sure about the following, but it also seems that sometimes, the device boots up with WiFi on, even though I'm almost positive that I explicitly turned it off before restart. Are these behaviors bugs or features? If it's the latter, does anyone know how set WiFi so that it always stays irrevocably turned off until I explicitly turn it on?

2. In the rooted MA2 rom that I was previously using, I got WiFi tethering to work by installing nardholio's Relay_tetheringfix_MA2.zip. However, with the CM10.1 rom, WiFi tethering doesn't work, as described later in this paragraph. I can't get WiFi tethering to work with PdaNet+FoxFi, either. If I install Relay_tetheringfix_MA2.zip over the CM10.1 rom, my device never boots: it hangs forever at the CyanogenMod boot animation. The WiFi-not-working symptom in CM10.1 is this: when turning on WiFi tethering, the access point comes up and it shows up in the connecting machine's WiFi access point list. However, when selecting this tethered access point, I get a "Connecting..." message for maybe 10-15 seconds, but then the connection drops and the connection process repeats in a seemingly infinite loop. This takes place even though I've double- and triple-checked that the password is correct. Perhaps a proper IP address is not being generated, or something ... I don't understand the internal mechanics of WiFi enough to know for sure. Has anyone gotten WiFi tethering to work under this CM10.1 rom?

3. I notice that in CM10.1, many apps are now listing their default storage location to be /storage/emulated/0. I assume that this is the same as /mnt/sdcard. Is there any way to tell my system to set the default storage location to /mnt/extSdCard (presumably /storage/sdcard1 or something similar)?

Thanks in advance for any insights you might be able to offer concerning these questions/issues.
.​

Last edited:

gee one

Jul 29, 2010
linux command line
Regarding #2, the tethering fix is for the stock rom and replaces framework-res.apk. It will not work with cm10 or 9 because they use a different framework.

sent while running with scissors

Reactions: HippoMan

Nocturin

Oct 23, 2012
Sigh... only 22hrs before 8%. Oh battery life, whatever happened too you? The yellow dip was the phone laying on the table in my living room not being used.

Anyone know of an application I'd be able to use to monitor which one's are requesting data access?

1shbnZh.png

Last edited:

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Regarding #2, the tethering fix is for the stock rom and replaces framework-res.apk. It will not work with cm10 or 9 because they use a different framework.
Thank you.

So ... has anyone managed to get WiFi tethering working with this 10.1 rom? As I mentioned, it fails consistently with PdaNet+FoxFi as well as with the default WiFi tethering utility.
.​

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Sigh... only 22hrs before 8%. Oh battery life, whatever happened too you? The yellow dip was the phone laying on the table in my living room not being used.

Anyone know of an application I'd be able to use to monitor which one's are requesting data access?

1shbnZh.png

"Only" 22 hours huh? That's a pipe dream compared to other phones

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

orange808

May 9, 2011
Get SystemPanel. Buy it, it's worth it. If an app is killing your battery, that will give you some good evidence.

I will pull apart the framework and see if things are terribly out of sorts...

Reactions: gtmaster303

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Get SystemPanel. Buy it, it's worth it. If an app is killing your battery, that will give you some good evidence.

I will pull apart the framework and see if things are terribly out of sorts...

I agree. It's one of my favorite apps to monitor my phone status and performance

Sent from my SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

chemmerling

Nov 28, 2008
Portland, OR
Replaced my G2 Custom

So, decided to spend some money to replace my G2, and it's not that I regret it, cause I don't... but I'm missing a lot of simple things... :(

An alarm clock that allows you to set more than 10 alarms, and that doesn't stop running after a minute (still fussing with the settings).
Haptic Feedback, as I can't find any place to turn it on
Standard Support or even USE of custom vibrate patterns
etc...

I'd love to see an actual dedicated XDA section to this phone, though I don't plan on rooting any time soon.

orange808

May 9, 2011
Well, the settings in the framework_res are good. If cell standby is eating juice, I am guessing it's a problem with the modem/driver.

Is CM10 using code from the Galaxy S3 or is it ported from the Relay?

croogrog

Feb 11, 2013
http://db.tt/xjAvIRPT Tethering fix for MA2 stock
http://db.tt/iEfsXunl MA2 baseband if you're on CM and care to upgrade. Samsung radios almost always offer no improvements and there's no difference I can see.
http://db.tt/tsZc9hLA Odin flashable version of a newer CWM, fixes folder layout problems on CM10.1
http://db.tt/n3woOEN1 CWM flashable version of a new CWM.
http://db.tt/mPiKehtD A surprise :D

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda premium

Cm10.1 is the "surprise"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    N
    Nardholio
    Don't bother with that cm10.1 build. It's good but it's not that great. Something a *lot* better is coming down the pipe in a day or so. Let's just say that literally 15 minutes ago the cameras were fixed by lbcoder. And the Android 4.2.2 code upstream has evolved a lot in the last week. There's no longer any tearing in the display. I'd say you should have it in about 24-48 hours.

Also, there will be no cm10.1 release thread. xda won't give us a forum, so **** em. We're in talks with cyanogenmod to get the Relay officially added to cyanogenmod. That'll show them we don't need no steenking forum.

Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G Hardware Guide

Normally I'd have posted this as its own thread, but given that we still don't have our own forum, I guess it'll have to be here.

I've only had my Relay a week and already it's been torn apart! But what's bad for warranties is good for you, because now I can make a hardware reference guide for this phone like I did for the Sidekick 4G.

As before, this is a work in progress and based on my own research. I'm not an expert on cell phone tech, so everything here is provided with no warranties. Please let me know if you notice any mistakes and I'll be happy to update this document. I'm particularly interested in better documentation for the various components, like in-house PDFs.

Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G Specifications:

Released as T-Mobile exclusive on September 19th, 2012.
    SGH-T699
    FCC ID: A3LSGHT699

2G Network: GSM/GPRS/EDGE – 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    3G Network: UMTS/HSPA+ – 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz
    WiFi: 802.11A/B/G/N dual-band 2.4/5GHz
    Bluetooth 4.0
    Near Field Communication

CPU: 32-bit 1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (ARM V7 Architecture)
    GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 225
    RAM: 1 Gigabyte DDR2
    Flash: 8 Gigabytes, ~5GB available to user under stock ROM
    MicroSD slot for expansion

Display: 4" Samsung SuperAMOLED screen @ 800x480 with Multi-Touch Capacitive Touchscreen. 16,777,216 colours
    Keyboard: 5 row 52-key QWERTY keyboard with inverted-T arrow keys

Rear Camera: 5 Megapixel with LED flash
    Front Camera: 1.3 Megapixel

Other Features:
    Augmented GPS/GLONASS
    Accelerometer/Gyroscope
    Compass
    Light sensor/Proximity sensor
    Mobile High-Definition Link (HDMI)

Size: 4.96" x 2.56" x 0.53"
    Weight: 5.6 Ounces
    Power: 1800mAH Lithium-Polymer rechargeable battery model EB-L1K6ILA with NFC antenna integrated.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...y_S_Relay_4G_English_User_Manual_UVLG8_F4.pdf - User manual

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Relay 4G/Draft Users Manual.pdf - Early draft of user manual, submitted during FCC approval.

Hardware Details:

T3i_1180bs.jpg

0. Qualcomm MSM8260A Integrated Snapdragon S4 CPU, Adreno graphics core, UMTS modem, WiFi/Bluetooth backend, GPS/GLONASS receiver, DSP and USB controller
    Marked:
    Unknown
    (Located under RAM IC as package-on-package)

1. Qualcomm WCD9310 "Tabla" Audio codec
    Marked:
    WCD9310
    NCM218R1
    A228002

2. Silicon Image SiI9244 MHL Transmitter
    Marked:
    SIMG
    9244BO
    NCS371A
    10L2230

3. Samsung 8Gb (1GB) Low Power DDR2 DRAM
    Marked:
    Samsung 210
    K3PE7E700D-XGC2
    GKB2709U

4. Samsung 8GB NAND Flash
    Marked:
    Samsung 228
    KLM8G2FE3B-B001
    HHGX259X

5. Qualcomm HSPA+/CDMA2K/TDSCDMA/EDGE/GPS Transciever
    Marked:
    WTR1605
    OVV
    PHX403R1
    AA22501

6. Qualcomm Dual-band Wi-Fi A/B/G/N, Bluetooth and FM Radios
    Marked:
    WCN3660
    PGW541R1
    A222002

7. Unknown
    Marked:
    SWt
    GAD92

8. Anadigics Multimode Multiband Power Amplifier Module
    Marked:
    ALT6181
    33945AC
    1231PH

9. Anadigics AWT6624 UMTS1700 Power Amplifier
    Marked:
    6624R
    4233AD
    1230 PH

10. Anadigics AWT6622 UMTS1900 Power Amplifier
    Marked:
    6622R
    4110AA
    1228 PH

11. Invensense 6050 six-axis gyroscope/accelerometer
    Marked:
    Invensense
    MPU-6050M
    D2G554-K1
    EI 1226 D

12. Qualcomm Power Management IC
    PM8921
    AD35130
    f3228004

13. Analog Devices Mobile I/O Expander and QWERTY Keypad Controller
    Marked:
    ADP

14. Texas Instruments BQ24157 Lithium-Ion Battery Charger
    Marked:
    TI27A3JXI
    BQ24157B

15. NXP PN544 Near Field Communication Controller
    Marked:
    10 05
    NXD2314

16. Atmel MaXTouch mXT224E
    Marked:
    MXT224E
    MAH-IR0
    2W1315B

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Relay 4G/Internal Photos.pdf - Photos of a prototype Relay submitted to the FCC for approval. Notice that the PCB, RF plate, keyboard frame and even the back cover have all been revised.

http://www.jax184.com/projects/Relay 4G/Test Results.pdf - Results of FCC testing of the NFC radio.

Take Apart:

T3i_1115s.JPG

Start with the phone turned off.

T3i_1116s.JPG

Flip the phone onto its back and remove the battery, SIM card and MicroSD card.

T3i_1125s.JPG

Remove the 8 long screws around the edge of the phone and the two short screws in the battery bay using a fine-tipped Phillips screwdriver. Be sure not to mix these screws up when reassembling!

T1i_7794s.JPG

If available, use a thin nylon guitar pick for this next step. Metal tools will mar the plastic.

T3i_1131s.JPG

Unlike most Galaxy S devices, the seam between the inner back and the front case of the Relay 4G is not visible from the back of the device. Instead it is on the front, around the perimeter of the keyboard. Insert a thin prying tool here and gently unsnap the plastic halves.

T3i_1136s.JPG

Lift the back off.

T3i_1152s.JPG

Gently disconnect the headphone jack cable. This connector is very fragile, and should not be pried on with metal tools. Instead it should be gripped with fingernails and slowly pulled upward.

T3i_1147s.JPG

Disconnect the screen cable along the left side of the board. Like the headphone jack, this connector is fragile and must not by forced apart. Then remove the 5 short screws which hold the PCB to the front frame.

T3i_1161s.JPG

Gently lift the PCB upwards. There are clips around the edge which will need to be gently pressed to free the board.

T3i_1167s.JPG

If needed, the keyboard can now be removed. To separate the keyboard frame from the screen, remove the final screw and gently pull the plastic straight up. Be sure not to put undue stress on the screen cable. It is held to the keyboard frame in the gold plate, which is attached using double-sided tape.

I did not dismantle the screen section of my phone beyond this point, but further disassembly appears to be straight forward.

T3i_1176s.JPG

To continue dismantling the PCB, gently disconnect the camera and MicroSD card socket cables. As above, these connectors are delicate and must not be forced apart.

T3i_1170s.JPG

Remove the two screws on the keypad side of the PCB to unfasten the RF plate.

T3i_1178s.JPG

Lift the RF plate off of the PCB.

T3i_1180s.JPG

The PCB is now bare.

Assemble in reverse order.

The PDFs linked to in the above document are owned by their respective companies. All else is covered by the following:

N
    Nardholio
    http://db.tt/xjAvIRPT Tethering fix for MA2 stock
    http://db.tt/iEfsXunl MA2 baseband if you're on CM and care to upgrade. Samsung radios almost always offer no improvements and there's no difference I can see.
    http://db.tt/tsZc9hLA Odin flashable version of a newer CWM, fixes folder layout problems on CM10.1
    http://db.tt/n3woOEN1 CWM flashable version of a new CWM.
    http://db.tt/mPiKehtD A surprise :D

N
    Nardholio
    My dropbox was suspended for excessive bandwidth, so I'm mirroring this on Google Drive too

Stock Odin file, pulled from Kies
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1lS6BTmOE55V3BJSXRMbkpBTE0

Odin
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1lS6BTmOE55TV8yU0o3bm5lelE

Rooted system image, flashable with Odin
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1lS6BTmOE55VHlDcmlJUWVmcDg

The reason the rooted system image is so much larger than the original is it's a direct dump from the phone, so it includes all the empty space on the partition.

If you want to play around while someone compiles a CWM for this phone, it is true what they said, you can flash the SGSIII CWM and it will allow adb access but no on phone video. I also had to go into my Device Manager to manually set the driver as a Samsung adb device because I don't think the Samsung drivers are updated just yet. You can flash the stock Odin to get back to regular recovery and it would be trivial to create an Odin flashable version of just the recovery.

Far easier to just flash the rooted system. If you get FC after flashing, clear cache and/or factory reset.

Standard disclaimers apply, your warranty is now void, I am not responsible if you create a brick, back up your efs before messing around, etc etc etc
    ohhai!

I am Jason Parker (kornyone from Github/Freenode/other places) from the G+ posts mentioned here. I was the one with RIL and made the post CM shared on G+/Twitter. Part of the reason they shared it is... I am already in the team maintaining the HTC Doubleshot. After more hardware failures than one should ever experience on the Doubleshot, I am finally abandoning that phone as my daily.

I began training at a new job and was out of town for six weeks. During those six weeks, I picked up this Radar 4g/ApexQ to be my new daily. It exceeded my expectations -- faster HSPA, better battery life (stock atleast), operated with the msm8960 core nicely, and the BT has amazing range. I just didn't have the ability or time to hack it for many weeks... and it drove me crazy.

I came home from training the same weekend as the BigAndroidBBQ (this last weekend) and I knew I was jonesing to hack this phone, even though I have numerous other projects on my plate (HTC Doubleshot, Nexus Q, personal and professional stuff, family life, etc).

Rather than initially reinventing the wheel, I decided to use noptys's github repos. I was able to build a stable CWM from his jellybean branch. It worked well. I was off to the races.

I found their IRC channel (#apexqtmo) at that time. I told them what I was up to, and someone suggested I try the ICS branch. I did so, posted screenshots. I then came home after work (I work second shift ATM), and started working on pieces of the source to fix the many core non-functional components.

I fixed the RIL inadvertently, without any noticeable side effects, using the stock Samsung kernel source code/defconfig (apexq_rev02_defconfig). I previously was using noptys kernel ICS branch. Not only was RIL working, but I was pulling sick speeds (for T-Mobile anyways). Something I could not do on the Doubleshot (it topped out 3-5mbps/down, the apexq was reaching 10-16mbps down on average).

I have not had a chance to dive into it more.

BTW, I have not abandoned the HTC Doubleshot for CM. It's on hiatus. It's my wife's go-to daily driver and 3 months old (before T-Mobile killed it off in the stores). The ApexQ is my current daily... once I get audio and BT working again :)

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

okay, this is getting old ... We need a damn forum!

We have root, we have a custom recovery, we have a dev (who just got working ril on cm9!) but we don't have a forum!?!

Sent from my htc vision using xda app-developers app

+1,000,000,000