Amazing battery life on ART

Search This thread

bishteca

Dec 5, 2012
São Paulo
Swear to all gods, old and new: all I did was switch from Dalvik to ART and BAM! Instant improved battery life.
Try it for yourself. Won't hurt and you can always revert back efortlessly.

Cheers! :good:

c0mmando

Feb 1, 2014
Any other advantages/disadvantages of using ART rather than Dalvik noted? :p And what ROM are you on?

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Swear to all gods, old and new: all I did was switch from Dalvik to ART and BAM! Instant improved battery life.
Try it for yourself. Won't hurt and you can always revert back efortlessly.

Cheers! :good:
I am scared to switch it on 442 unrooted x.
Are you unlocked? Rooted?

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

There are horror stories on x section.

ATRIXXIRTA

Mar 17, 2012
The Shangri-La Motel
When i first got my Moto G, before I unlocked and rooted it, I switched to ART while on stock, and it worked fine.

Since then I have unlocked the bootloader, rooted, and installed some Xposed stuf.

Now when I go to switch to ART, the phone just reboots normally, doesn't update any apps, and I'm still on Dalvik??

Anyone have any ideas??

rogeriorp

Dec 11, 2013
When i first got my Moto G, before I unlocked and rooted it, I switched to ART while on stock, and it worked fine.

Since then I have unlocked the bootloader, rooted, and installed some Xposed stuf.

Now when I go to switch to ART, the phone just reboots normally, doesn't update any apps, and I'm still on Dalvik??

Anyone have any ideas??

ART is not compatible with Xposed.

sprockkets

Jan 16, 2012

Anyone have any ideas??

Can't used xposed with art. edit: late reply ninja'd already

Last edited:
Reactions: ATRIXXIRTA

bishteca

Dec 5, 2012
São Paulo
Any other advantages/disadvantages of using ART rather than Dalvik noted? :p And what ROM are you on?

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Stock rom, unlocked bootloader and rooted.

Dual sim, by the way, so not many roms out there (if any, I think...).

I read it somewhere that ART makes apps launch slightly slower, but I didn't really feel any difference in real life usage. Maybe we're talking about miliseconds here, totally unnoticeable, mainly with skype and facebook apps, which normally take a few seconds to launch anyway. The rest are as snappy as can be.

Last edited:

bishteca

Dec 5, 2012
São Paulo

Anyone have any ideas??

Yep, it's because of Xposed. If you can't live without its improvements (which are great, no doubt), you can't have ART.
I had Gravity Box, but turned out the only function I used was the quick access to tiles (you know, pull drawer on right half of screen). I get by without it.

Reactions: ATRIXXIRTA

bishteca

Dec 5, 2012
São Paulo
So the horrors could be only due to Xposed & other mods? Art is safe on stock?

I can't say for Moto X, but for my Moto G the change was seamless. Except for the improved battery life, the rest feels pretty much the same. Of course, it all depends on how much you use your phone. I'm usually a light user, usually on wifi, just getting email push, some messaging, a few calls, but yesterday I did some pretty heavy 3G, screen on for a long time, localization services and it appeared to have behaved quite better than on Dalvik.

But be aware that once you change, the phone asks for a reboot and it can take quite a while to do so. You might even get a black screen for a while and when it shows something like "Updating apps 10/150" it can hang on a number for a while, it may appear to freeze but be patient, go to he kitchen, play with your pet. And be sure to have like 30-50% battery life, I have no idea what can happen if the battery runs out in the middle of the process. Probably nothing, but just in case, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: aviwdoowks

ATRIXXIRTA

Mar 17, 2012
The Shangri-La Motel

I read it somewhere that ART makes apps launch slightly slower, but I didn't really feel any difference in real life usage. Maybe we're talking about miliseconds here, totally unnoticeable, mainly with skype and facebook apps, which normally take a few seconds to launch anyway. The rest are as snappy as can be.

Every device I've ever switched to ART has always benchmarked lower than when on dalvik. Not that it matters. I just find it odd

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

I was gettingI worse battery life today for some reason. thought something was wrong after I installed xposed. Turns out I'm just a forgetful dumbass and forgot I had enabled GPS and location settings to test it's impact on battery... Lol

scoutme

Jul 3, 2010
I'm using art from the very first day, and I have exceptional battery life with everything turned on except Bluetooth (not using it at the moment) - about 24 hours

Inviato dal mio XT1032 utilizzando Tapatalk

S

sohambapat99

'Camera unabled to start'

I get this message when on Dalvik, but never when on ART. Also, on Dalvik my play store crashes and so does: com.android.system.ui

Fed up it, so switching to ART again, but this causes my phone to heat up loads.

Thoughts, should I factory reset?

ATRIXXIRTA

Mar 17, 2012
The Shangri-La Motel
I get this message when on Dalvik, but never when on ART. Also, on Dalvik my play store crashes and so does: com.android.system.ui

Fed up it, so switching to ART again, but this causes my phone to heat up loads.

Thoughts, should I factory reset?

I would. I don't have any issues on dalvik. And when I was using art (before I installed xposed), there wasn't anything I could do to heat this phone up. I've had 2 devices with the snapdragon s4 pro chip (optimus g, xperia zl) and that chip could cook your breakfast!!! This snapdragon 400 has impressed the pants off me so far!

S

sohambapat99

Really?

I would. I don't have any issues on dalvik. And when I was using art (before I installed xposed), there wasn't anything I could do to heat this phone up. I've had 2 devices with the snapdragon s4 pro chip (optimus g, xperia zl) and that chip could cook your breakfast!!! This snapdragon 400 has impressed the pants off me so far!

Forgive me for being a total noob here :eek: , but would the processor heat cause the battery to heat up?

Does your battery heat up? After 45 minutes of gaming Asphalt 8, mine cooks up to a massive 52.5 degrees celsius- I have a leather case on it so i don't notice it that much but when I took it out it was so hot!

BTW I'm non rooted, stock rom etc...
Do you have root and have you underclocked it?

ATRIXXIRTA

Mar 17, 2012
The Shangri-La Motel
Any intense 3d gaming will heat up just about any device. There is no room for cooling these CPUs inside these phones, so they are prone to heat increases when pushed hard. I haven't played any intense 3d games on this yet. I just know that it doesn't heat up anything like my s4 pro devices used to.

Robin>Hood

Sep 10, 2013
Forgive me for being a total noob here :eek: , but would the processor heat cause the battery to heat up?

Does your battery heat up? After 45 minutes of gaming Asphalt 8, mine cooks up to a massive 52.5 degrees celsius- I have a leather case on it so i don't notice it that much but when I took it out it was so hot!

BTW I'm non rooted, stock rom etc...
Do you have root and have you underclocked it?

And of course a leather case works as isolation, try not using the case, temp might drop some degrees then ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Anyone have any ideas??

ART is not compatible with Xposed.

Anyone have any ideas??

Can't used xposed with art. edit: late reply ninja'd already

Anyone have any ideas??

Yep, it's because of Xposed. If you can't live without its improvements (which are great, no doubt), you can't have ART.
    I had Gravity Box, but turned out the only function I used was the quick access to tiles (you know, pull drawer on right half of screen). I get by without it.
    So the horrors could be only due to Xposed & other mods? Art is safe on stock?

I can't say for Moto X, but for my Moto G the change was seamless. Except for the improved battery life, the rest feels pretty much the same. Of course, it all depends on how much you use your phone. I'm usually a light user, usually on wifi, just getting email push, some messaging, a few calls, but yesterday I did some pretty heavy 3G, screen on for a long time, localization services and it appeared to have behaved quite better than on Dalvik.

But be aware that once you change, the phone asks for a reboot and it can take quite a while to do so. You might even get a black screen for a while and when it shows something like "Updating apps 10/150" it can hang on a number for a while, it may appear to freeze but be patient, go to he kitchen, play with your pet. And be sure to have like 30-50% battery life, I have no idea what can happen if the battery runs out in the middle of the process. Probably nothing, but just in case, right?