[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 alpha6: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Seddy318

Mar 17, 2011
Atlanta
I wanna start by saying that I am in love with this Rom. GPS works great and locks pretty fast and I didn't have to do any fixes. My 3G data is faster than it was before I installed this Rom. Haven't tested 4G yet but i'll do that when I get home. The same goes for the wifi. I absolutely LOVE the music widget built into the lock screen.

I do have a few questions. Im sure they have probably been answered in one of the 155 pages but I tried searching to no avail.

1. I remember a previous CM rom that I installed on my OG Epic that had notification icons that were animated. (ex. the sms icon kinda spun around and zoomed in). Are these being worked on or were they scrapped?

2. I also remember being able to change the phone answer type in the OG Epic CM Rom. Has this been scrapped also or is it in the works?

Thats all I can think of for now. Other than that everything is great! I cant wait until the theme, icons, dock etc. are fully functional.

Thanks DEV's for your hard work and dedication! Blanca (Thats my phones name) is happy again! LOL

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Kernel question for you guys:

I flashed the FDO2 kernel that darchstar himself posted here like 2 weeks ago and for the most part it has worked fine but I have been experiencing occasional LOS that requires me to toggle airplane mode to get rid of. Would you guys suggest I try the FD02 Rogue Repack kernel instead?

Reactions: majmuni

I flashed the FDO2 kernel that darchstar himself posted here like 2 weeks ago and for the most part it has worked fine but I have been experiencing occasional LOS that requires me to toggle airplane mode to get rid of. Would you guys suggest I try the FD02 Rogue Repack kernel instead?

Its been low level for me on Fd10 I always thought the modem that was best has been el26. Might be a heck of a lot slower but, on higher modems I can get Los but never need airplane mode to fix. I'm on fd05 modem and it's alright. I know you talking kernel but stock kernel has always been my friend.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm running it now and it's been working great

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Its been low level for me on Fd10 I always thought the modem that was best has been el26. Might be a heck of a lot slower but, on higher modems I can get Los but never need airplane mode to fix. I'm on fd05 modem and it's alright. I know you talking kernel but stock kernel has always been my friend.

I hear what you're saying about the modem potentially being the problem, and that makes sense. However, my modem has remained the same since I first flashed this rom and I have only experienced sporadic LOS since I flashed the FD02 kernel darchstar posted a while ago which leads be to believe this is more kernel then battery related.

Wizard Knight

Apr 24, 2010
Long Island, New York
I wanna start by saying that I am in love with this Rom. GPS works great and locks pretty fast and I didn't have to do any fixes. My 3G data is faster than it was before I installed this Rom. Haven't tested 4G yet but i'll do that when I get home. The same goes for the wifi. I absolutely LOVE the music widget built into the lock screen.

I do have a few questions. Im sure they have probably been answered in one of the 155 pages but I tried searching to no avail.

1. I remember a previous CM rom that I installed on my OG Epic that had notification icons that were animated. (ex. the sms icon kinda spun around and zoomed in). Are these being worked on or were they scrapped?

2. I also remember being able to change the phone answer type in the OG Epic CM Rom. Has this been scrapped also or is it in the works?

Thats all I can think of for now. Other than that everything is great! I cant wait until the theme, icons, dock etc. are fully functional.

Thanks DEV's for your hard work and dedication! Blanca (Thats my phones name) is happy again! LOL

1. Was a theme. Cm9 doesn't have theme support... yet

2. I'm sure more customization options will come in time

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Never got an answer on this...

Can I use steady hawkin's FD02 CWM kernel on this ROM without breaking anything?

Apparently YES according to numerous posts on the last couple pages. I'm thinking about giving it a shot because I had some LOS with the FD02 kernel darchstar posted a while ago. Of course, now its working perfectly fine so I will hold off until I get another LOS.

barnacles10

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
Does it improve battery life at all? That's my main concern...

There are no modifications to the kernel other than what's needed for an aosp boot and recovery. (And maybe init.d support). Haven't really looked at the kernel. But no, there is nothing there that suggests an impact on battery.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

jefbal99

Aug 26, 2010
Still yet to commit to running CM9 or MIUI. Piece of crap voicemail bug persist no matter what and i refuse to use switch phones method.

But anyways tried out CM9 Alpha 2 for a day. must say its sexy. No bugs on my end for a day. played games, watched my anime on crunchyroll. txted like crazy, few phone calls. works fine. but that voicemail bug is just... (**** you AOSP)

The VME bug has a really quick fix, just use the posted phone.apk and delete a single file in the dalvik cache. Its in the customization guide, since doing that I haven't seen the bug...

coiledwire

Oct 20, 2010
norcal
I hear what you're saying about the modem potentially being the problem, and that makes sense. However, my modem has remained the same since I first flashed this rom and I have only experienced sporadic LOS since I flashed the FD02 kernel darchstar posted a while ago which leads be to believe this is more kernel then battery related.

I'm running fc24 for both modem and kernel and I get the loss of data seemingly whenever I get into a weak signal area for a period of time. It's been like that for me for every kernel and modem up to fc24. I keep meaning to get a logcat of this, but running fresh networks app is also another way to reconnect data.

Sent from my SPH-D710

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I hate to beat an old horse to death because I know I asked this before but never looked for a reply because it will suddenly work: I cannot send an MMS message. Tried using Handcent and stock. This is getting annoying...I know I have sent numerous MMS on this but for some reason this keeps coming up as an issue. Anything I can do to make this work consistently?

gpgorbosjr

Jul 3, 2008
www.gregthegreat.com
I hate to beat an old horse to death because I know I asked this before but never looked for a reply because it will suddenly work: I cannot send an MMS message. Tried using Handcent and stock. This is getting annoying...I know I have sent numerous MMS on this but for some reason this keeps coming up as an issue. Anything I can do to make this work consistently?

I was having trouble here is what I did:

1. Install CM9 as per directions.
2. Boot phone, set up, login to google, etc.
3. Download file explorer. Delete telephony.db.
4. Boot into Android Recovery.
5. Wipe all data/cache etc.
6. Restart phone.
7. Set up phone again and use.

Two things would still happen to me:

1. I would get MMS from people but it would not auto-retrieve and download button didn't work.
2. MMS would hang and not send.

Airplane mode on/off would fix both these issues. (As opposed to before where no rebooting or restarting network would fix it).

NOTE: This is by no means even close to a "real fix". Just from my experience, I couldn't get MMS to work AT ALL, and this is how I got it to work.

coldblooded79

Jan 5, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN

If you are using Rogue fd02 repack, I ran into the same issue with mms. Stock alpha 2 kernel works fine:)

sent from my Epic Touch

SantinoInc

Jun 19, 2010
NYC
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I was having trouble here is what I did:

1. Install CM9 as per directions.
2. Boot phone, set up, login to google, etc.
3. Download file explorer. Delete telephony.db.
4. Boot into Android Recovery.
5. Wipe all data/cache etc.
6. Restart phone.
7. Set up phone again and use.

Two things would still happen to me:

1. I would get MMS from people but it would not auto-retrieve and download button didn't work.
2. MMS would hang and not send.

Airplane mode on/off would fix both these issues. (As opposed to before where no rebooting or restarting network would fix it).

NOTE: This is by no means even close to a "real fix". Just from my experience, I couldn't get MMS to work AT ALL, and this is how I got it to work.

I appreciate you trying to help but no I can't send or receive MMS. ****k me

Reactions: DasVegan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts