[Q] Fastest way to flash back to stock 4.1.2

Search This thread

ErikFry

Mar 11, 2011
Oakland/Portland
What way is the fastest and most secure to flash back to the stock samsung 4.1.2 image? Is there anyway I can use fastboot to format my entire phone and then push the stock image to it? I think there is an easy way to skip the flashcounter and ODIN. I am on CM10.2.1 (stable) and after countless ROM flashes and going back between 4.3 and 4.4 I have so many folders and directories and partitions it is crazy. How can I wipe the entire phone so nothing at all is on it and go back to TW 4.1.2.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
With what you are asking for, you want Odin. Odin flash this file and it will wipe your phone clean and restore you to stock, unrooted VRBMF1 4.1.2. You will want to root and unlock. Do not take any OTAs when your phone boots up. Follow section 5 of Droidstyle's guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1762709

Just use the tar file I linked below in Odin:

Only flash if it ends in .tar or .tar.md5, here is the VRBMF1 tar:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23134718111254196

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: ErikFry

ErikFry

Mar 11, 2011
Oakland/Portland
With what you are asking for, you want Odin. Odin flash this file and it will wipe your phone clean and restore you to stock, unrooted VRBMF1 4.1.2. You will want to root and unlock. Do not take any OTAs when your phone boots up. Follow section 5 of Droidstyle's guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1762709

It doesn't mention it anywhere. Do I need to worry about triangle away coming from CM10 back to TW4.1?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
It doesn't mention it anywhere. Do I need to worry about triangle away coming from CM10 back to TW4.1?

Depends if you have any ticks on the counter if you do you should triangle away before you odin. Are you planing on staying on touchwiz or will you be rooting unlocking and flashing a new rom? because if that is the case you could just wipe internal sd in twrp or clockwork mod then flash your desired rom on a nice clean internal sd.

ErikFry

Mar 11, 2011
Oakland/Portland
Depends if you have any ticks on the counter if you do you should triangle away before you odin. Are you planing on staying on touchwiz or will you be rooting unlocking and flashing a new rom? because if that is the case you could just wipe internal sd in twrp or clockwork mod then flash your desired rom on a nice clean internal sd.

I plan on flashing cleanrom8.1
If I wipe internal SD in recovery will it fix all extra file paths and partition problems I had before? And does wiping internal SD wipe the recovery?

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I plan on flashing cleanrom8.1
If I wipe internal SD in recovery will it fix all extra file paths and partition problems I had before? And does wiping internal SD wipe the recovery?

It will do a format so as long as the partitions are the correct size it should fix any problems. Recovery will stay just as it was before the wipe. When you go to do the wipe just click on everything but external sd. I cant remember if it says format or wipe but do it a few times before you flash cleanrom and you should be on empty canvas to write your rom to. Just be warned that there is a format data option in twrp I believe (been a long time since I have seen a unmodified version) that will erase everything including external sd so don't use that. Also dont forget to have clean rom on your external before you start!

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

ooooohhhhh I hope you see this! If it only has sd card as a option in the wipe menu that is probably your external sd.

ErikFry

Mar 11, 2011
Oakland/Portland
correct. I am a worry wart and remove my sd before I wipe. not necessary but i cant format it if its not inserted.

Hopefully you are still awake. I wiped internal memory and did a factory reset for safety (don't worry I removed my SD card haha) And I flashed CleanRom8.1 zip and it said it was successfully flashed. When I rebooted the device I got the "please enter pin or password for this encrypted device" message with an area to type in. This phone has never been encrypted. What do I do? If I wiped internal why would anything other than what I flash be on the phone.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Hopefully you are still awake. I wiped internal memory and did a factory reset for safety (don't worry I removed my SD card haha) And I flashed CleanRom8.1 zip and it said it was successfully flashed. When I rebooted the device I got the "please enter pin or password for this encrypted device" message with an area to type in. This phone has never been encrypted. What do I do? If I wiped internal why would anything other than what I flash be on the phone.

Never heard of that happening. Is it before it starts to boot?

ErikFry

Mar 11, 2011
Oakland/Portland

SlimSnoop I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for my most recent conundrum. Thank you for your help!

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
I wiped Internal memory, wiped data&cache, reboot....bootscreen.....la la la la...."Enter PIN or Password" screen appears. For a brief moment my statusbar is shown. The phone appears to be in airplane mode. It does not show the proper time either.

I did a quick Google and it looks like for some reason or another that rom installed encrypted. A factory reset should fix your problem.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
SlimSnoop I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for my most recent conundrum. Thank you for your help!

I have seen this issue before but mostly that encyption popup is displayed in TWRP. I don't recall seeing any one method that ultimately worked for people. If you search for "encrypt" in this Q/A forum, there are 7 pages of results with a lot of inconclusive results or workarounds. I've skimmed the first 3 pages and haven't seen anything that stands out but I've seen similar issue reported by a few others.

ErikFry

Mar 11, 2011
Oakland/Portland
I have seen this issue before but mostly that encyption popup is displayed in TWRP. I don't recall seeing any one method that ultimately worked for people. If you search for "encrypt" in this Q/A forum, there are 7 pages of results with a lot of inconclusive results or workarounds. I've skimmed the first 3 pages and haven't seen anything that stands out but I've seen similar issue reported by a few others.

Thank you for looking. You would think with an internal memory wipe, factory reset and system wipe it wouldn't be encrypted. Funny thing is...I've never encrypted it either, maybe touchwiz is not for me. Life is telling me something haha.

EineBeBoP

May 5, 2014
Erik, did you have any luck going from 4.3 back to 4.1? I'm getting the firmware upgrade error.

Any thoughts?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Never heard of that happening. Is it before it starts to boot?
    I wiped Internal memory, wiped data&cache, reboot....bootscreen.....la la la la...."Enter PIN or Password" screen appears. For a brief moment my statusbar is shown. The phone appears to be in airplane mode. It does not show the proper time either.

I did a quick Google and it looks like for some reason or another that rom installed encrypted. A factory reset should fix your problem.

Thank you for your help Pagel!