Is there an alternate way to turn off the screen?

Search This thread

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
In short, my power button is jacked up and at moment due to car troubles I have zero monies to even attempt to call HTC and see if they can do anything about it.

So I would like to know, is there an app that will allow other hardware buttons to power off the screen, or at least make a widget or something on the homescreen to power the phone off?

At the moment I am keyguard disabler to bypass using the power button to cut on the screen, but can't really do anything to cut the screen off.

I will work some on seeing if I can modify the keylayouts, but if anyone else knows anything, any help would be greatly appreciated.

palosjr

Jul 25, 2009
Houston
only problem i see with the widget use is that once the screen is off, how would you turn it back on... remapping the hardware buttons would work, but then you wouldnt need a widget...

in the meantime just set the timeout on the screen to something small... just an idea i guess...

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
only problem i see with the widget use is that once the screen is off, how would you turn it back on... remapping the hardware buttons would work, but then you wouldnt need a widget...

in the meantime just set the timeout on the screen to something small... just an idea i guess...

I use keyguard disabler which then I can use the trackball to cut it on and yeah, when I'm at work, I just cut it to 15 seconds so it doesn't stay on forever whenever I need to check the time.

jerrycycle

Aug 20, 2009
I do agree with the shorting the awake time. I did this to change mine to 5 seconds. I installed lock 2.0 and then changed the settings to 5 seconds, rebooted and then uninstall lock 2.0. If for some reason I need the screen on longer to read web or email I use stay awake app. I have stay awake in the status bar. I haven't had good luck with the apps that make the screen stay awake like keyscreen and screeble.