Rooting my tablet

Search This thread
Apparently I am running OTA 2 or 2.5. I am not really sure which one. I did get some kind of system update from lenovo the other day.

I would like to install ADW Launcher EX, but I guess I need root for that as the market says it is incompatible with my device.

Funnily enough Go Launcher EX showed up as free in the Amazon App Store. I have that now ( not installed, but added to my account in case they make it not free). It will install if I want it to on my non-rooted setup.

So I guess my question how do I root this sucker?

Buil Info:

ThinkPad_Tablet_A310_02_0039_0089_02_US

Kernel: 2.6.36.3

Machine Type: 1838-22U.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using xda premium

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Moved To General

Please do not post questions in the development section​

Ok I am not rooted thanks to that script.

However it would *NOT* run on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. Kept crapping out during the adb shell commands :

Code:
adb shell "/system/bin/mkdir /data/local/pwn"
adb shell "/system/bin/mkdir /data/local/pwn-bak"
adb shell "/system/bin/cat /system/etc/install-recovery.sh > /data/local/pwn-bak/install-recovery.sh.orig"

adb shell "/system/bin/mkdir /cache/recovery/pwn"
adb push su /cache/recovery/pwn  

adb shell "/system/bin/rm /cache/recovery/log"
adb shell "/system/bin/ln -s /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /cache/recovery/log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chmod 777 /cache\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /cache\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/mount -oremount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /cache\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chmod 777 /cache/recovery\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chown root /cache/recovery/pwn/su\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chmod 4777 /cache/recovery/pwn/su\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"

So I busted out and dusted off my old Thinkpad T43 with Win7 Pro 32-Bit, installed the ADB driver and BAM! Root.

So a few Q's.

I had to manually install busybox. No big deal, but weird.

I installed Clockwork Mod Recovery to the internal flash but it detects my tablet as a transformer prime. Is this ok?

Finally, I am still unable to uninstall the damned social touch app. I've managed to remove almost all the other bloat crap but this app defies me. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks to the great community!

Exe557

Jul 25, 2008
I installed Clockwork Mod Recovery to the internal flash but it detects my tablet as a transformer prime. Is this ok?

Have you installed the version from here?
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21916505&postcount=71

Finally, I am still unable to uninstall the damned social touch app. I've managed to remove almost all the other bloat crap but this app defies me. Suggestions anyone?

I removed it using Titanium Backup. Had no problems with it.

Exe557

Jul 25, 2008
No, I didn't use that one. I used the one from the market. How do I install the .img file? I didnt see an option when I boot into Lenovo's recovery.

Download the right recovery for your TPT 16GB, 32GB or 64GB

You can find the instructions to install it here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1458212

Code:
adb push ventana_recovery.img /data/local/
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
echo "#!/system/bin/sh" > /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
dd if=/data/local/cwr_recovery_2.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

pwstein

Oct 14, 2011
OK, Temetka,
First- the CWM 'app' you got from the market does nothing (that anyone here is doing). Uninstall and move on.
Second- CWM replaces your stock Lenovo Recovery 'BIOS', so when you boot to recovery mode, you'll see a top hat icon and lots of new options. You won't use Lenovo's anymore.
Third- Get your TPT's appropriate CWM image here(to be installed using ADB commands from your computer) downloaded to your PC
Fourth- follow these instructions (copied from here) to use ADB to install CWM Recovery into the recovery partition, replacing Lenovo's.

open command line and go to folder where the file is saved
Code:
> adb push NameOfCWMFile.img /data/local/
> adb shell
> su
> mount -o rw,remount /system
> echo "#!/system/bin/sh" > /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
> dd if=/data/local/NameOfCWMFile.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

Shut down your tablet. Boot into Recovery (vol+, vol+, etc.). Using CWM options, choose reboot (this should clear a possible reboot issue while inside CWM).

Done - now you can...
'Backup' - create a Nandroid on your external SD-Card-- DO THIS FIRST!
'Restore' - install any other TPT nandroids (no-bloat_0089_US for example)
'Install image from SD-Card' - install CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
...and much more

Last edited:
Thank you both. I have rooted and hacked the crap out of my Nook Tablets and Captivate. That being said it has all been done using Odin, SD card booting with CWM on the SD card and so on. I haven't really fiddled around with adb.

Later on this evening I will go ahead and give those instructions a shot. I'll probably just pull the trigger and install CM9 as well just to try it out and maybe help out with posting any bug reports and so on.

Also the CWM I installed from the market is actually Clockwork Rom Manager.

I also installed Rom Toolbox which has helped me out with removing some of the bloat applications.

I followed that up with Titanium Backup and made a full backup on my spare 16GB card. Once I have CWM installed, I will make a full Nandroid backup of this system as it stands now. I am pretty happy with its performance now that I have been able to debloat it and run sd speed increase.

Since I am asking some questions, got 1 more for ya guys. I have used the V6 supercharger script on my Nooks and they have really given a nice noticeable increase in system performance and UI resposniveness. Has anyone here used it on a TPT, and if so what was the experience like?

stewarta

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
Ota 2.5 and root

Apparently I am running OTA 2 or 2.5. I am not really sure which one. I did get some kind of system update from lenovo the other day.

I would like to install ADW Launcher EX, but I guess I need root for that as the market says it is incompatible with my device.

Funnily enough Go Launcher EX showed up as free in the Amazon App Store. I have that now ( not installed, but added to my account in case they make it not free). It will install if I want it to on my non-rooted setup.

So I guess my question how do I root this sucker?

Buil Info:

ThinkPad_Tablet_A310_02_0039_0089_02_US

Kernel: 2.6.36.3

Machine Type: 1838-22U.

Thanks in advance.

Solved ... follow this link.