.m4a missing artist tag?

Search This thread

Raymond77

Sep 12, 2008
I installed PowerAmp, it's the only music app I could find that shows all of the tags and artwork for my iTunes music files (m4a's).

amjb71

Apr 27, 2007
Mine still has missing tags? every other phone I've had has been fine? what have samsung done? and why??

the tag is still there when I load it back to iTunes, but something on the phone is stopping the tag being seen, very strange?

Crucio_

May 3, 2011
Ellesmere Port
havent been using .m4a files yet but will try some out tonight when i get home from work. tried any other media player such as winamp? maybe a tag problem with PowerAMP?

amjb71

Apr 27, 2007
I've used Doubletwist, Winamp, PowerAMP, and a tag editor to see what wrong, all do the same thing, can't figure it out, and the SGS2 guide it says plays .m4a's but its the only android phone I've seen this on?

Ayrlupine

Dec 31, 2009
You could always sync with Winamp and tell it to transcode .m4a into another format during sync, it's in the device properties when your phone is plugged in!

amjb71

Apr 27, 2007
I could, but important now using spotify and synchronized my playlists, crazy but works.

I still don't understand why the sgs2 won't see the tags on m4a files? My nexus s and desire s do? Strange Samsung idea maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

Ayrlupine

Dec 31, 2009
I don't know, but I'm hoping it's easily fixed... I've just sold my iPod Touch so I can use the SGSII as my music player when I get it! Ripped some of my favourite CDs to .flac as well for the best music quality :D

amjb71

Apr 27, 2007
Well if you find out, let me know, its bugging me, and seams to make a great phone, a bit second rate!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

Ayrlupine

Dec 31, 2009
Just got my SGSII yesterday... my m4a tags are fine! Not sure what's happening with yours D:

EDIT: I was totally wrong, the artist didn't show up. Luckily I had like one album in m4a format, so I changed it to mp3 and everything's fine now! Just missing a few album arts here and there, but I think that's more a Winamp problem than a problem with the SGSII

Last edited:

landerson07

May 3, 2011
Mine are the same .m4a artist tag shows as unknown. Play fine etc just doesn't show the artist

buddn07

Dec 4, 2009
Exeter, Devon
I've noticed that the Kies software from Samsung doesn't recognise any of the music tags for m4a files either even though it downloads codecs?

how have you guys transferred the music onto the s2?

Last edited:

LarcusMywood

Mar 26, 2011
I'm using Winamp to drag and drop, then play using Winamp on the phone and the same happens to me. 10GB of my 20GB collection is in m4a too. :(

Ayrlupine

Dec 31, 2009
Try using sync with Winamp and tell it that m4a isn't supported, and to transcode m4a into mp3 maybe? Might do the trick!

chargen2

May 1, 2011
Stratford, ON
I found this after having copied files to the new phone, then searching under the artist and not finding the album I had copied. I searched for a keyword in the song name and sure enough - same symptoms. m4a files purchased form iTunes, plays the file fine, but not sorted properly.

Guess I'll give another music player app a shot.

alloneword

Jan 22, 2010
M4A tracks don't have an artist

I have the same issue here.

Any applications that use the system media library (which include DoubleTwist, Winamp, PowerAMP) don't display the artists.

I downloaded a tag editor app onto the phone, but when I go to edit the tags, they are all correct, it does seem to be an issue with the system, and not any apps.

Has anyone tried installing the default music player from vanilla Gingerbread?

Or is the media library part of the OS more than just that app?

Wazzamatazz

Nov 25, 2006
Aberdeen
Would imagine that the stock Android music player will have the same problem. It's pretty apparent that Samsung have customised the media scanner and broken it for no apparent reason, since it worked just fine before!

I'm not completely clear on how components such as the media scanner/media store database are packaged up but would hazard a guess that it might be possible to replace the Samsung version with the vanilla version...

Raymond77

Sep 12, 2008
In PowerAMP > Folders view, if I long press a m4a file then select Info I can clearly see that the artist info is there.

However, in Library view (which I wan't using at all until last week) the Artist section is definitely missing the m4a files.

Reddie555

Nov 15, 2010
The problem somehow seems to be all files that use AAC-codec (m4a, mp4, etc.). My .mp4-files wich worked perfectly on my old SGS are now broken (tags, that is).

It must be a system problem, cause other programs experience this also. And The music player seems to be pretty much the same as in SGS.

REALLY hope they fix this soon. I've been ripping my CD:s tp MP4:s for years. Not going to convert them all to mp3:s.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it me or does the SGS2 not show the artist tag in .m4a files? whats going on?
    Guys try Mediafix,it works.Atleast it sorted out 80% of unknown artiste issue.