ICE CREAM SAMMICH TALK HERE

Search This thread

nbell13

Aug 10, 2011
The way I see it, the word heck is the word "hell" and "****" combined into one

heck

On topic, I cannot wait for the new kernel to come out. I'm pretty sure the screen-on bug is related to the mismatched kernel and modem and probably won't get fixed with this hacked up kernel... but the inclusion of ATT files in the source is very strange and might mean... Samsung had a delay so they could give us our presents!

Or maybe they decided to flip at&t the bird in their own way for taking for damn ever to release updates to phones :p

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
Yey! I have next 3 days off too! Payday is soon.... Gunna hook entropy up!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
So far it's being evil... Getting something that reliably boots is proving difficult.

It doesn't help that my deodex job was botched and the launcher would immediately start FCing... ****ing Samsung. I've worked around that now by installing LauncherPro, but since then I haven't successfully booted a kernel. (Before, I booted a few only to reach a broken launcher...)

Progress is being made - but it'll take some time. Esp. since I have to go out and run errands tomorrow evening.

BruteSource

Oct 4, 2008
So far it's being evil... Getting something that reliably boots is proving difficult.

It doesn't help that my deodex job was botched and the launcher would immediately start FCing... ****ing Samsung. I've worked around that now by installing LauncherPro, but since then I haven't successfully booted a kernel. (Before, I booted a few only to reach a broken launcher...)

Progress is being made - but it'll take some time. Esp. since I have to go out and run errands tomorrow evening.

Take your time buddy! We all appreciate what you do very much! Keep us updated if you can!

Reactions: EnemyOfGlaDOS
R

Red5

Its ok, we know you can do it. We got your back.

mr0m30

Jan 25, 2012

Glad to hear it! (the "Progress is being made" part)

Are you leaving the locale set at CONFIG_TARGET_LOCALE_NAATT_TEMP, setting it to CONFIG_TARGET_LOCALE_NAATT or setting both maybe? It looks like there the only two places _TEMP is being used are in the touchkey driver and the codec. Incomplete conversion or an attempt at source convergence?

Hey anyway you didn't have to fix all those permissions ;)

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Glad to hear it! (the "Progress is being made" part)

Are you leaving the locale set at CONFIG_TARGET_LOCALE_NAATT_TEMP, setting it to CONFIG_TARGET_LOCALE_NAATT or setting both maybe? It looks like there the only two places _TEMP is being used are in the touchkey driver and the codec. Incomplete conversion or an attempt at source convergence?

Hey anyway you didn't have to fix all those permissions ;)

I think TEMP is "bare minimum to work on an AT&T device", non_TEMP might be "mangled at AT&T's request".

Reactions: calderon501

Intub8

Mar 3, 2012
Yes just knowing it's coming for sure is good enough for me take your time you are pretty much all we have thank you

I agree take your time ,do it right. Anything you make will certainly be sooner then att.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

TEXASMADE1978

Take all the time you need. Your greatness is sincerely appreciated. :D

MY BEASTLY AOKP RUNNING GSII

ryude

Jun 19, 2010
USA
I would try learning kernel development, but I have allergic reactions to linux.

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
I think TEMP is "bare minimum to work on an AT&T device", non_TEMP might be "mangled at AT&T's request".

Just adding my two cents to this, if you use the ATT locale then I think you will have to edit the cypress...c to get the correct key layout, it seems there ia another config which is NA only that has the correct home and search mappings.

This is my guesswork only, hope it helps somehow...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

Reactions: RatusNatus

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! hahahhaha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, at this point:
    Boots
    Touchkeys work
    initramfs is being tracked in a local git repo
    kernel is being tracked in a local git repo
    ADB shells have root access

What is not yet working:
    CWM - I'm using the "classic" 5.0.2.8 for now. I can enter CWM, I can do a nandroid backup, but I can't restore or flash anything. I've got some ideas to fix this - I forgot some of the images.
    ADB in recovery - this makes fixing CWM harder if it's more than just the missing images
    ADB during boot - makes troubleshooting failure to boot a *****

I'm calling it a night as this is a good stopping point and I need sleep. Hopefully I'll figure out the ADB stuff and get CWM working tomorrow evening.

FennyFatal and drowningchild have a lot to thank for this - without some of their comments, I would have taken much longer to narrow down the problem to a bogus initramfs.

I could always share my chest and sinus infection with Entropy so
    he would have to call in sick
    Been there done that (I was dealing with a sinus infection caused by the 2011 floods + seasonal allergies when the I777 first launched) - no thanks not again. :)

Most of the difficulty is basic cleanup stuff and making sure I get CWM right. I'm not going to go the "kang cfroot's initramfs" way.
    no pictures just a question once we have the kernel are we still going to need the modded phone.apk

Yes.

It'll be a while before I can figure out a way to get noise reduction working - if I ever figure that one out before an AT&T leak shows.

Right now:
    Booting
    ADB in CWM works (turns out Chainfire's hacked adbd had issues)
    CWM seems to work (at least nandroids) - flashing untested (Main reason I'm not releasing until another day or two)

Implemented but so far untested:
    Bootanimation support
    init.d support
    SoD patch
    fuel_alerted wakelock patch
    Conservative governor tuning patches

If it's stable until tomorrow, I'll probably push to github tomorrow. If it's still stable, I'll release this weekend.
    OK, now properly booting from a "git-tracked" initramfs.

At this point, since it's a LOT easier to identify when something goes wrong, progress will be much quicker.