A few things on knox / rooting and bootloaders that need more testing / development

Search This thread

Saipro

Sep 29, 2011
I always run into Invalid IMEI/no signal problems when downgrading to 4.3 (JB) from 4.4.2 (KK). Tried everything in the book. Even KNOX resets with ease. The only thing which works is restoring EFS and MODEM/RADIO from my N900XXU**** backup. Of course I'm once more plagued with dropped signal strength and GPS issues ince I do that.

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/general/how-to-roll-5-0-4-4-to-4-3-sm-n900-t3018333

ANY USEFUL help would be much appreciated

ryanbg

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2008
movr0.com
I always run into Invalid IMEI/no signal problems when downgrading to 4.3 (JB) from 4.4.2 (KK). Tried everything in the book. Even KNOX resets with ease. The only thing which works is restoring EFS and MODEM/RADIO from my N900XXU**** backup. Of course I'm once more plagued with dropped signal strength and GPS issues ince I do that.

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-3/general/how-to-roll-5-0-4-4-to-4-3-sm-n900-t3018333

ANY USEFUL help would be much appreciated

Are you flashing modemst1/modemst2/EFS at all?

JagiChan

Feb 4, 2015
Pune
I have a S4 for testing. It was built using faulty spares parts (broken but funcional display and damaged but workable motherboard). If someone wants I can test things using this S4...
I understand that this method works only on Note 3, but since you have an S4, would you try if knox can be reset using this bootloader on the S4.

dhanmohan

(Knox had been triggered on the the tested device already), This has been tested & working on Note 3 N900/Exynos on KitKat ND1 firmware which was on official status without root but Knox triggered, The file was flashed using Odin and after flashing I went into download mode and to my surprise Knox was been reset from 0x1 to 0 but the device status had turned custom (was official before flashing the Knox reset), however I will re-flash the firmware and see if Knox remains 0 and device status turns to official, also there are some different stuff in download mode which I hadn't ever seen before like EMMC PIN, Binary Sboot Version and all. I'll be attaching the screenshots for the same kindly find in attachments.

Edit/Update 1 : After re-flashing the firmware stuff like EMMC PIN and Binary Sboot Version has disappeared Current Binary has turned to official and the Knox has remained to 0 however System Status still appears to be Custom...

Edit/Update 2 : (Refers to previous updates regarding System Status being Custom and not turning to Official.) After trying to flash the firmware several times nothing really worked (nothing to do with Knox and Current Binary only referred to System Status being Custom) hence I went to stock recovery and wiped Data/Factory Reset and Cache Partition and then re-flashed the firmware (ND1 KitKat) and VOILA! Binary/System Status are now Official and now Knox is 0, seems a great success for the Exynos users, I also do have an snapdragon version so will be looking forward to it, screenshots attached....

Edit/Update 3 : The steps for resetting Knox (Exynos Note 3 ONLY!) :

1 - Download the bootloader.zip and extract bootloader from it (find in attachments)

2 - Open Odin and put device in download mode.

3 - Select AP/PDA (depending on Odin version you have) and select the bootloader (which was downloaded during step 1) don't select any other option in odin except F reset time and auto reboot (are selected by default).

4 - After the file is flashed go to download mode and check if the Knox has turned back to 0.

5 - Flash official firmware from sammobile and after flashing is done let the device reboot and boot up to device set-up screen, don't proceed the set-up for setting up device and turn of it off.

6 - Reboot to stock recovery (power + vol up + home) and wipe data/cache and flash the firmware again, once flashing the firmware is completed enter download mode and check if current binary and system status has turned to official if not follow steps number 5 and 6 again.

And that's pretty much it ;), you have successfully been able to reset Knox and regain warranty by this.

PS : I had done all this steps on ND1 firmware, and this will not keep root access, to root Knox has to be tripped or keep Knox 0 but Current Binary or System Status will be custom wit Knox being 0. Also to note this might get (patched) in future updates (bootloaders) if we look at Samsung's history of patching stuff :p, though not sure about it...

This will not work on any variant other than Exynos (Note 3) due to different processors and the boot system of both Exynos and Snapdragon. (the bootloader for (Exynos) contains Sboot which is only for the Exynos variant which cannot be used on Snapdragon as it uses Aboot). So this is by no way meant to work on SD variant or any other Samsung device ie S5/S4/Note 2 etc. and hence requested NOT TO USE IT on any other model than Exynos Note 3.

Edit/Update 4 : Downgrading Note 3 N900/N9000/Exynos from 4.4.2 to 4,3 has been successful, check out this post by me to be updated on steps regarding the same.

I'll be testing some work around's for the N9005 (Snapdragon) to reset Knox/Firmware Downgrade once I get that device as I have given mine to a friend, and have been saving money to buy a new or used N9005.

will this work on kitkat N900DDENG1 baseband?

sriram231092

Mar 24, 2013
the city of ATLANTIS
(Knox had been triggered on the the tested device already), This has been tested & working on Note 3 N900/Exynos on KitKat ND1 firmware which was on official status without root but Knox triggered, The file was flashed using Odin and after flashing I went into download mode and to my surprise Knox was been reset from 0x1 to 0 but the device status had turned custom (was official before flashing the Knox reset), however I will re-flash the firmware and see if Knox remains 0 and device status turns to official, also there are some different stuff in download mode which I hadn't ever seen before like EMMC PIN, Binary Sboot Version and all. I'll be attaching the screenshots for the same kindly find in attachments.

Edit/Update 1 : After re-flashing the firmware stuff like EMMC PIN and Binary Sboot Version has disappeared Current Binary has turned to official and the Knox has remained to 0 however System Status still appears to be Custom...

Edit/Update 2 : (Refers to previous updates regarding System Status being Custom and not turning to Official.) After trying to flash the firmware several times nothing really worked (nothing to do with Knox and Current Binary only referred to System Status being Custom) hence I went to stock recovery and wiped Data/Factory Reset and Cache Partition and then re-flashed the firmware (ND1 KitKat) and VOILA! Binary/System Status are now Official and now Knox is 0, seems a great success for the Exynos users, I also do have an snapdragon version so will be looking forward to it, screenshots attached....

1 - Download the bootloader.zip and extract bootloader from it (find in attachments)

3 - Select AP/PDA (depending on Odin version you have) and select the bootloader (which was downloaded during step 1) don't select any other option in odin except F reset time and auto reboot (are selected by default).

4 - After the file is flashed go to download mode and check if the Knox has turned back to 0.

5 - Flash official firmware from sammobile and after flashing is done let the device reboot and boot up to device set-up screen, don't proceed the set-up for setting up device and turn of it off.

6 - Reboot to stock recovery (power + vol up + home) and wipe data/cache and flash the firmware again, once flashing the firmware is completed enter download mode and check if current binary and system status has turned to official if not follow steps number 5 and 6 again.

And that's pretty much it ;), you have successfully been able to reset Knox and regain warranty by this.

PS : I had done all this steps on ND1 firmware, and this will not keep root access, to root Knox has to be tripped or keep Knox 0 but Current Binary or System Status will be custom wit Knox being 0. Also to note this might get (patched) in future updates (bootloaders) if we look at Samsung's history of patching stuff :p, though not sure about it...

This will not work on any variant other than Exynos (Note 3) due to different processors and the boot system of both Exynos and Snapdragon. (the bootloader for (Exynos) contains Sboot which is only for the Exynos variant which cannot be used on Snapdragon as it uses Aboot). So this is by no way meant to work on SD variant or any other Samsung device ie S5/S4/Note 2 etc. and hence requested NOT TO USE IT on any other model than Exynos Note 3.

Edit/Update 4 : Downgrading Note 3 N900/N9000/Exynos from 4.4.2 to 4,3 has been successful, check out this post by me to be updated on steps regarding the same.

I'll be testing some work around's for the N9005 (Snapdragon) to reset Knox/Firmware Downgrade once I get that device as I have given mine to a friend, and have been saving money to buy a new or used N9005.

I tried this and Knox has been reset and the current binary is official too. But the system status still shows >>CUSTOM<<. I flashed the firmware for 4 times and wiped data&cache every time! But still it stays custom! Is there anything I could do?

st3chn0

Jul 24, 2010
Leeds
I tried this and Knox has been reset and the current binary is official too. But the system status still shows >>CUSTOM<<. I flashed the firmware for 4 times and wiped data&cache every time! But still it stays custom! Is there anything I could do?

System status will show modified if you have rooted or tampered with system files. Only way to go back to normal is to flash stock

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

sriram231092

Mar 24, 2013
the city of ATLANTIS
System status will show modified if you have rooted or tampered with system files. Only way to go back to normal is to flash stock

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

Hey! Thanks for the reply. The system status showed custom on the download mode but after booting, it actually showed official under system status. :)

---------- Post added at 05:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

With wanam there was a fix to get it back to official

Hey! Thanks for the reply. The system status showed custom on the download mode but after booting, it actually showed official under system status. :)

besotsima

Jan 16, 2013
I'll test it!

Edit/Update 1 : Wowzer guys, I have some good news for you all, I have been successfully able to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3 without any issues, The firmware I downgraded to is MI3 and Knox is not present in download mode will post steps soon and guide you through steps for a safe downgrade, PS : this is only for SM-N900/N9000/Exynos for now, screenshots attached..

Edit/Update 2 : Steps to Downgrade (Note 3 Exynos only!)

1 - Download the bootloader.zip and extract then flash in Odin. (Find in attachments) (don't select any other option in odin except F reset time and auto reboot) (are selected by default).

2 - Download any 4.3 JellyBean Firmware from sammobile.

3 - After flashing the bootlaoder reboot into stock recovery (power+ home+ vol up) and wipe data/factory reset and cache partition

4 - Turn off the device and reboot into download mode and flash the 4.3 Firmware in Odin.

5 - After flashing completed let the device boot till boot screen and pull out the battery and turn it off then turn it on again and reboot into recovery (power+ home+ vol up) and wipe data/factory reset and cache partition once again and reboot and let the device boot up.

That's pretty much it, you've safely downgraded to Android 4.3 from 4.4

This is only for Note 3 Exynos!

will this work on lollipop 5.0?

al33m

Aug 7, 2011
Hyderabad
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Hi Guys,

I flashed a custom rom on my new device SM-N900 using TWRP. When I wanted to revert to the stock firmware using ODIN I getting an error saying 'Power Reset or Unknown Upload Mode'.
The flashing of stock firmware is successful using ODIN but when rebooting I am getting the same error. I have tired doing everying I could searched XDA Note 3 forum, other sites as well but nothing worked.

I have even tired the below procedure to get mobile in to working condition but everything failed.
http://xdaforums.com/show...1#post52329946

melliwuk

Jul 29, 2009
possibly stupid idea, possibly not...

this isn't the first knox reset thread ive read thru, other one was over 1000 posts! but one thing I haven't seen mentioned in ANY of the posts is if someone tried decompiling/resourcing the knox apps? after all they HAVE to check the knox flag to know whether to allow knox to run or not...

so surely there MUST be something in one of the apps that would point to where to check for the status of the knox bit???

if its a stupid idea please forgive me but it thought it might help.

Melli.

Muthumbi

Aug 1, 2013
Nairobi
Note 4 N910H

Is there any way to port this file to not 4?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

WARNING:
    This is very dangerous. I have been able to reproduce and recover every time, but there is a HUGE inherent risk of permabricking. I am able to manually put my device into QHSUSB_BULK mode by overwriting SDI/DBI with SBL1. The screen will go black immediately, and your device will be recognized as a QHSUSB_BULK device. You can recover by making a 256MB (arbitrary number, has to be over like 128MB) unbrick image. This can be made by pulling the first 256MB from mmcblk0. Then flash to SD card using DD or Win32DiskImager. Do this before flashing SBL1 to DBI/SDI. Pop it in and it should boot right back normally, so ODIN and flash SDI again to fix. This can be useful for various purposes, of which the right people are already aware.
    Quick question to have a more complete view on where things are - I do not have the N900 and I know little about it so the question might already not be a problem there but it certainly is on N9005 - can you also downgrade the firmware after you write the knox-reset piece?

I'll test it!

Edit/Update 1 : Wowzer guys, I have some good news for you all, I have been successfully able to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3 without any issues, The firmware I downgraded to is MI3 and Knox is not present in download mode will post steps soon and guide you through steps for a safe downgrade, PS : this is only for SM-N900/N9000/Exynos for now, screenshots attached..

Edit/Update 2 : Steps to Downgrade (Note 3 Exynos only!)

1 - Download the bootloader.zip and extract then flash in Odin. (Find in attachments) (don't select any other option in odin except F reset time and auto reboot) (are selected by default).

2 - Download any 4.3 JellyBean Firmware from sammobile.

3 - After flashing the bootlaoder reboot into stock recovery (power+ home+ vol up) and wipe data/factory reset and cache partition

4 - Turn off the device and reboot into download mode and flash the 4.3 Firmware in Odin.

5 - After flashing completed let the device boot till boot screen and pull out the battery and turn it off then turn it on again and reboot into recovery (power+ home+ vol up) and wipe data/factory reset and cache partition once again and reboot and let the device boot up.

That's pretty much it, you've safely downgraded to Android 4.3 from 4.4

This is only for Note 3 Exynos!

I never had the time (and the devices) to properly research this but there are a few things that other people might want to test (or already know the answers) and I think it might come very handy to the Note 3 community. There is a somehow similar thread for the S4 community here.

0) SUCCESS WITH KNOX / DOWNGRADING ON N900 !!!

On N900 (Exynos) there is now a solution (unfortunately for the moment only for Exynos models) - a special firmware leaked originally here:

http://sxtpdevelopers.com/samsung-note-3-knox-fix-qualcomm/

(it looks like a firmware reset/update for the EMMC, which results in the erase of the RPMB where Knox flag and downgrade restrictions are stored).

In this thread details on some of the people testing it can be found in those posts:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52329946#post52329946

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52408318#post52408318

If the original site is taken down by Samsung you need to search after a file called BL_HA3GZS_CLEAR_WARRANTY_BIT.tar - the one I saw was 2334801 bytes in length (might be shown as a 2.23MB download in some chinese sites). There might be a problem finding it since Samsung might go after anybody hosting and distributing it.

1) Just rooting should not trip knox

The problem with rooting that makes knox 0x1 - originally Root De La Vega was developed for the AT&T very locked structure, and as such it was doing the rooting in a pretty convoluted way. However on other Note 3 versions the knox warranty flag is very clearly linked to just kernel and recovery, and not to system itself. In other words it SHOULD be possible (even after MJ3) to root and keep knox 0x0 on devices that are not "bootloader locked" by not touching kernel and recovery and only touching system - that is probably NOT going to work on AT&T (N900A) but it seems to work on N900W8 and IMHO it could also work on N9005 (and possibly N9000, but I know much less about that). If you want more proof look into the posts about N900W8 + different version (of more or less) stock-based ROMs (like xnote, but stock kernel and recovery).

So the bottom line on this is to verify on a knox 0x0 device with firmware MJ3 (or newer) that just writing a pre-rooted system would be allowed in download mode and would keep knox 0x0. And we would need a more clear confirmation for both N900W8 and N9005 (or any other models) - of course with some description of what was written and how ;)

EDIT: some W8 users have provided extra details and so far it looks it might be more the bootloader itself and not so much in how/what is written, but more information is needed.
    EDIT2: there is a thread with that kind of talk here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627996

2) We should really test the "portability" of various bootloaders since this could solve a lot of things

First - here are two external (non-xda) pages with some very good development information regarding "bootloader hacking":

http://blog.azimuthsecurity.com/2013/04/unlocking-motorola-bootloader.html

http://blog.azimuthsecurity.com/2013/05/exploiting-samsung-galaxy-s4-secure-boot.html

On bootloader-confused devices (for instance Hong-Kong versions that got the KitKat bootloader from Polish/XEO KK and have to wait for Hong-Kong KitKat, or any device that seems to be bricked in the bootloader) it might be also interesting (for somebody VERY daring - remember that it could brick your phone even worse) to try to write the bootloader files (all 5 of them?) from the N900W8 and see if those are accepted (since once that would be the case downgrading would also become a possibility).

EDIT: the N900W8 is also reported (see here) to let you have a custom recovery and not trip knox, which is kind of weird but maybe this is the knox breakthrough that we were expecting :)

3) More info on STRAP flags (those listed in download mode)

STRAP flags - there are a number of places where the values listed in download mode are discussed, for instance:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2567165

It seems that the values for S T R A and P flags could be versions of the 5 main bootloader-related files used in Qualcomm-based Note 3 devices, most likely:

S - SBL1

T - TZ

R - RPM

A - ABOOT

P - SDI (?)

My EU N9005 (I believe with MI7 or so bootloader) was something like S1, T1, R1, A1, P1 and also SECUREBOOT: ENABLE (CSB) (as it can be seen in the thread above) but is now P2 (which is very strange since I had all automatic and security updates disabled, but might be related to the fact that at some point I activated the reactivation flag linked to the Samsung account - disabling it does not return P back to 1 so this might not be it).

Also if you look around the values seem to be somehow consistent - with post-MJ3 bootloader most flags become 2 and with KitKat bootloader at least the A flag becomes 3.

It remains to be seen if this is the case and if it is any way relevant to hacking the bootloader system or knox (or is just for debug purposes - like when we see people with A3 complaining that they can't return to stock MJ7 or MK2).

4) More info on "microSD debricking and if this could let us re-write different bootloader files (and maybe we should encourage people to have their "debricking image" made in advance "just in case")

When the bootloader files become "bad" and you can not go in download mode (but probably sbl1 is still valid) it is still possible to recover things by forcing the boot process from microSD. That seems to require no extra hardware on Qualcomm models and one small contact for Exynos devices (where that is even documented in Samsung original documents like 13-58_SM-N900_Boot_Recovery_Guide_rev1.0.pdf).

There is a thread on this at:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2625332

5) More info on how Samsung CAN reset knox

There are already two threads with something more than 5-6 first-hand reports from people that went with a Note 3 knox 0x1 into service and left with the same device (and motherboard and IMEI and in some cases all their programs and even their normal/old firmware) but with knox 0x0!

One thread in T-Mobile Note 3 forum:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2637718

And a much larger one in International Note 3 forum:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2504258

There is also already a "hardware+software solution" (expensive, aimed at specialized phone shops that also do phone unlocking and similar stuff) which claims to be able to reset the knox flag on Exynos devices:

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f67...olution-solution-repair-rebuild-emmc-1769456/
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f67...bit-0-solution-inside-first-ih-world-1776265/
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f672/regarding-knox-s4-1775213/

6) Pre-production bootloaders before knox?

Here is an interesting thread apparently about a N9005 with no knox:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2657631
    it can be made a how to in order to be useful for all of us? It would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

If you don't know how it can be useful, this is probably not the best place for you to be posting.