[APP] 4G Toggle Widget v1.2 (6/18) - w/Sense disabled + SOURCE

Search This thread

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Hey all,

Just got my EVO. I've disabled Sense because I like the regular Android interface (love my Nexus One). One thing I've noticed is that the 4G toggle widget is not available with Sense off.

Does anyone know of a 4G toggle widget for non-Sense users? If not I'll probably throw one together this weekend, but if there's already one out there I'd like to avoid the work (laziness for the win ;-)

Thanks.

UPDATE (6/14): Really close to done on this. Hoping to have it released tonight or tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted.

UPDATE (6/15):
Alright, got this done and it's working! Just install the attached APK and add the widget to your home screen. If you'd like to donate or are too lazy to download an APK, I added it to the market for a 99-cent donation:

img.php

Glad to be able to give back to the community after so long. I'd just ask you to please not distribute this APK elsewhere. Thanks!

UPDATE (6/19):
For anyone who wants to reskin or modify this widget, or is just curious about how it works, I've released the source here:
http://code.google.com/p/toggle4g/

This of course means it is now open source and yours to muck with and distribute freely (within the limits of the license).

UPDATE (6/20):
There seems to be a bug where the widget may turn your 4G back on after a reboot, even if it was off when you shut down. I'm looking into it but in the meantime, just be aware that this may occur.

Changelog (last update 6/18)
- v1.2: completely redid widget icon, added toast on toggle.
- v1.1: fixed centering, widget is slightly larger now too.

Attachments

• com.rrsllc.toggle4g.apk
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,939
Last edited:

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
Hey all,

Just got my EVO. I've disabled Sense because I like the regular Android interface (love my Nexus One). One thing I've noticed is that the 4G toggle widget is not available with Sense off.

Does anyone know of a 4G toggle widget for non-Sense users? If not I'll probably throw one together this weekend, but if there's already one out there I'd like to avoid the work (laziness for the win ;-)

Thanks.

I don't believe this exists at all. I've never seen one.

phinnaeus

Apr 25, 2010
Seattle
Did someone say mod the Power Control widget? Hmm, yes, I'm almost certain someone did.

So who knows how to make widgets?

MetroKnight

Jan 13, 2007
New Jersey
Hey all,

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm not really contributing here, but think it's ironic that you have "laziness" and "FTW" typed out! :)

xcom923

Jul 3, 2007
Raleigh
I agree, I just activated my Evo yesterday and I love it! but like many of you I decided to ditch Sense in favor of something lighter (for battery life, and I like helix) but there isn't a 4G toggle anywhere someone help!

yeahthatsme

Jun 8, 2010
Add me to the list hoping for a toggle. While I'm at it, anyone know how to get the stock dialer and calendar on the EVO? I really don't like sense.

Hey all,

Thanks.

How do you disable the sense interface, and can it be re-enable later on?

yeahthatsme

Jun 8, 2010
bhagiratha I used androidcental's youtube step by step as I am a Android noob. I sent you the link privately, it wouldn't let me post a link in here.

Hurry up Froyo, that will solve a lot of issues for me.

Sawdizzle

Feb 20, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
How do you disable the sense interface, and can it be re-enable later on?

Go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->HTC Sence->Clear Defaults

Once that is done, you can hit the Home Key and it will ask you to select a home app, either the Stock HTC Sense Home or generic Android Launcher.

Yes, you can go back to Sense if you like, you can even go back and forth if you don't select a default.

Negrito

May 22, 2008
Las Vegas
www.fodografes.com
Yeah, I would prefer stock dialer, calendar, and contacts as well. But unfortunately those are baked into the build so you can't just replace them. You'll have to wait for a clean ROM.

Actually i believe as soon as the ROM gets de-odexed you should be able to swap the sense app for the vanilla ones no problem (hopefully). It worked on my Hero running FreshToast2.1 before Sprint even relased 2.1.

ncyncy

Jun 12, 2010
Hey all,

Thanks.

:D;)
So... Any thoughts about making that widget?

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
:D;)
So... Any thoughts about making that widget?

I started on it this weekend and am really close. Thought I'd be done last night, but making it all shiny, packaging, etc. is taking a bit longer than expected. I'm hoping to have it done today or tomorrow. I'll post it on here when it's done and probably put 99 cent donate version in the Market.

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
Hey all,

Thanks.

UPDATE (6/14): Really close to done on this. Hoping to have it released tonight or tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted.

Oh wow that's awesome that you're actually making one! I can't wait to have that as I often disable sense as well :)

stroths

Dec 1, 2006
Very nice...Was searching for this recently and didn't find anything. Want to try out some other launchers like ADW, but don't want to lose my 4g toggle.

Looking forward to your widget

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Re: 4G Widget w/Sense disabled

Computer just crashed as I was packaging it up :-(

Fortunately didn't lose any work but have to wait for Windows to finish reinstalling...

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

stroths

Dec 1, 2006
I just tested it out and it works as advertised. I tried it in Sense first on the same screen as the Sprint 4g widget and as I turned it on or off, the Sprint one followed suit. I also tried it in the default android launcher and it worked great there as well. Very nicely done!!

The only suggestion I have is to center the icon. It sits to the left currently.