Phone says it's charging but won't.. the animation icon that indicates....

Search This thread
Aug 20, 2014
When trying to plug my verizon s3 galaxy into usb cable to charge, the charging indicator comes on... but I don't think it's actually charging because there is usually an animation indicator in the top bar that shows it's charging. It's been 3 hours and I'm at 0%. I can power my phone on long enough to see it's still on but it will power off because it's still not really charging (or charging at all?). Unplugged, phone won't power on of course. Plugged in, I just have power on for about a few minutes. I've had this when it was released, so since 2012 I have not have to replace any batteries or cable.

I've tried using a seperate usb cable charger, and same thing. What could be the issue? I want the usb port repair to be the last resort so please help! So here's my plan so far:

-contact cleaner/gas duster (is there a difference between the two?)
-replace batteries.

Any troubleshooting/diagnosis I could do myself to find out the problem? Anything else I should do?

I'm not the most tech-savvy person so please be nice and thorough. Lol.

-----update------

I don't want to do factory reset because I don't want to lose my personal data. My phone now says 8% but drains right away the moment I use it. My laptop won't read it to allow me to transfer pics,vids, other data. I installed a battery current widget witch reads:

3.22V (which is good since the battery is 3.8V)
103.3F internal temperature
and 0mA ----> So this is the root of my problem. Why is it reading 0mA? But very slowly charging to around 8% when powered off?

Last edited:

ProtheusIRC

Apr 4, 2012
Thomasville
Try Factory reset. If that doesn't work, it could be the charging port has come lose from the solder/logic board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2014
Try Factory reset. If that doesn't work, it could be the charging port has come lose from the solder/logic board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to do factory reset because I don't want to lose my personal data. My phone now says 8% but drains right away the moment I use it. My laptop won't read it to allow me to transfer pics,vids, other data. I installed a battery current widget witch reads:

and 0mA ----> So this is the root of my problem. Why is it reading 8mA? But very slowly charging to around 8% when powered off?

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012

and 0mA ----> So this is the root of my problem. Why is it reading 8mA? But very slowly charging to around 8% when powered off?

Could be one of two things, either the battery itself or its the charging port. I've seen it on my gfs S3 which is up to the latest NE1 ota and she has had it replaced by verizon 3 times already and it's weird because it works fine on a charger in the house but in the car or a portable charger won't work

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Aug 20, 2014
Could be one of two things, either the battery itself or its the charging port. I've seen it on my gfs S3 which is up to the latest NE1 ota and she has had it replaced by verizon 3 times already and it's weird because it works fine on a charger in the house but in the car or a portable charger won't work

Haven't tried my car charger.. but doubt it would work since I already tried two different usb chargers. Going to try to do a cleaning with some aerosol duster and alcohol now...

I read something about clearing the cache partition at bootup ... but it doesn't sound like I have a 'software' malfunction, does it?

Thanks for the response. So your gf's was a broken charger port?

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Haven't tried my car charger.. but doubt it would work since I already tried two different usb chargers. Going to try to do a cleaning with some aerosol duster and alcohol now...

I read something about clearing the cache partition at bootup ... but it doesn't sound like I have a 'software' malfunction, does it?

Thanks for the response. So your gf's was a broken charger port?

No, VZW never really figured out what it was. They just assume it's the phone. But it's been the same issue with each one. It's the OTA update that's causing issues I have a feeling, if only big red knew what the heck they were doing it probably wouldn't even do that at all. You could clean the cache partition. Not sure if it would work, trial and error there I guess

Aug 20, 2014
Let's see.... buy decent non OEM battery, $30 and up.
Fix charger port AT LEAST $70 - $150.

Wireless charging kit plus the convenience of wireless charging For $10-$15. I'm definitely gonna do it. Lol.

I've read a gazillion threads on this problem and none have suggested what I mentioned. Hope people will find this thread handy.

Man I love technology. Maybe I SHOULD make effort to understand it better.

Thanks all for your input.

Reactions: ShapesBlue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Let's see.... buy decent non OEM battery, $30 and up.
    Fix charger port AT LEAST $70 - $150.

Wireless charging kit plus the convenience of wireless charging For $10-$15. I'm definitely gonna do it. Lol.

I've read a gazillion threads on this problem and none have suggested what I mentioned. Hope people will find this thread handy.

Man I love technology. Maybe I SHOULD make effort to understand it better.

Thanks all for your input.