[XP] Xperia P General Discussion Thread

Search This thread

dachao

Oct 28, 2010
They have the color listed and they only show phones that are in stock.
I got my XS on eBay as well but there are better options than eBay. I wish I would have known a few months ago.

macklobell

Jan 16, 2009
Does anyone know what the correct SAR value is for the Xperia P is? The book that comes with it states the highest SAR value is .78 yet this link to the FCC says otherwise. Like 1.18 at head and 1.34 max and .98 body...Which is correct?

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas...e=N&application_id=281605&fcc_id='PY7A3880135

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

No one has the red one though dachao....It is much better looking than the silver and black. IMHO...

GiveMe2Beers

Nov 16, 2011
Any news about the yellow turning greenish to max brightness issue?

Here in Italy a new owner confirm that, but only at max brightness.

May it be a sw or hw issue?

Not so lucky Sony with displays in 2012 :rolleyes:

o>c

Feb 24, 2010
Hong Kong
DSC_0001.jpg

This is the first picture I take with my Xperia P (I don't really care about the phone's camera much, as long as it works and can take a clear picture, the camera often works as a magazine page scanner for me, so all the fancy stuff dumped by Sony is just bonus for me). You can see that the flash (set as auto) overkilled and resulted in over-exposure, nonetheless the picture quality is fine for me when viewing on computer. This picture was taken in the morning by the roadside. So can anyone with some survival or botanical knowledge tell me are these mushrooms (the coin indicates their size) safe to eat, or will someone get high and end up in the hospital after eating them?

Last edited:

inquisitor

Jul 14, 2004
Anyone sharing my disappointment over the silver version? Today I saw it for real for the first time and this glittery coating just looks so awful cheapish and most importantly it totally hides the precious aluminium this device is made from. WTF were Sony thinking when starting production of this piece of kitsch? Why didn't they just brush the alloy like any other manufacturer would have done? Instead they found the cheapest looking coating and made this wonderful phone look like crap. That's like silvering gold jewellery. I'm totally disappointed and I wonder if this was intentional as all the renderings show a matte surface.

Last edited:

ste71m

Sep 3, 2010
I love my silver version and not disappointed at all by aluminium unibody, it's just as expected if you have seen pics and vids
And i love the soft touch buttons and the light over them visible in dark environments

ste71m

Sep 3, 2010
about battery

I'd like to have some feedback about battery
How did you set brightness, automatic with max brightness or power save?
Can you do a full day of moderate use?
I heard of a software update that should fix colour problems. can someone confirm it?
Did you get it? No update available here in Italy yet

Last edited:

kitsVA

Jan 16, 2009
Xperia P capacitive buttons response

I sold my Xperia S mainly because I just did't like the fact that I need to learn/practice to get capacitive buttons work fine for me and also the covers on USB port.

Anyone who tried Xperia S and now P please share how the response is on P. Are they very similar to S?

Also, if the price difference between S and P is only $50 if P still worth the price compared to S? I am only worried about feeling 4" screen too small after getting used to Arc for so long.

chch

Jan 27, 2007
This review includes some battery comparisons:
http://www.hardwarezone.com.my/review-sony-xperia-p-angular-affordable-nxt-smartphone

You have to be careful with battery comparisons though. The above test sets all phones to 100% brightness but that is not a good basis for comparison as some phones are designed to be more powerful or brighter than others.
Some sites also compare phones at 50% brightness which is really stupid as not only are the outputs different but the light scales used are arbitrary and non-linear.
A fair test would be to set all phones to the same lux levels.

I would guess that if the battery tests were fair (same lux settings) then the Xperia P would do a lot better. I can't believe how many sites do stupid % brightness tests. Probably an indication of how meaningless many of the reviews are. I just read a Sola review that said the standard browser was much slower than all the third party ones they tried but they didn't think that only the standard browser has the floatintouch setting and they didn't think to turn it off to compare. Lets face it, most phone review sites are just flicking out as much content as possible to make money.

Still looking at my own battery usage (on a Defy+) the screen is only a small part of battery usage so if you are browsing on WiFi WhiteMagic is not going to save you while WiFi is killing your battery.

Last edited:

Gambler_3

Oct 30, 2011
Just read the verge review and sony has used actual regular capacitive buttons for the P on the white strip and they work just as any other phone. Thats a huge plus in my opinion as the white dots of the xperia S are one of the most annoying things about it, it's like trying to fix what was really not broken.

And they also say the hardware shutter button is really good something again the xperia S lacked, whats the point of a shutter button if it aint uber comfortable? It's just like the arc vs neo where the neo had a much better button.

I can live with 16GB I suppose the phone seems really good to me. Just have to wait for gsmarena battery test, so wish it had a 1500mah battery I wouldnt even think twice about getting it.

EDIT: OMG it has an IPS LCD so no more ****ty viewing angles like the xperia S has. And read this from the verge,
"Put simply, in daylight, the Xperia P’s display is hands-down the most readable smartphone display I’ve ever come across. Even in direct sunlight, text remained entirely legible and colors were still accurate.
Aside from the brightness, the display performs as an IPS should: viewing angles are near 180 degrees and colors are accurate however oblique the angle."

Now if only the xperia S had regular face buttons and this display. Oh sony why do you fudge on every phone it seems. You should have given the xperia P more respect with a bigger battery really.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

"Coming into this review I was concerned about how the Xperia P's tiny 1305mAh battery would cope, but its SoC seems relatively good at sipping power. The Xperia P managed around 14 hours of use, including an hour and a half of camera work, watching a two-hour video, two hours of gaming, and over an hour of calls. In reality it’ll get you to the end of the day without any issues, and if you're not a heavy user you'll get a couple of days out of it."

Wow this really is getting better with this phone. I might just buy one when it gets the ICS update.

Last edited:

chch

Jan 27, 2007
I can live with 16GB I suppose the phone seems really good to me. Just have to wait for gsmarena battery test, so wish it had a 1500mah battery I wouldnt even think twice about getting it.
gsmarena compare phones by setting them to 50% brightness. Phones are not set to the same brightness output. Their battery test is hence very poor and results quite deceptive.
They really do make some poor comparisons (comparisons that make you wonder how impartial the site is) and comments and will remove posts if you point them out. I like reading their reviews but I take their conclusions with a grain of salt.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't leave you guys just i won't be sharing my work on XDA

https://code.google.com/p/sony-xperia-p/ hope this helps you
    I don't know if it's the right place but... what future will have the cm11 development for xperia p?

Percy can still continue developpement on an other site than XDA.

XDA try to control everything and i think the whole mind of this site is dead now. Android Developpement is open to everyone because it's opensource. But on XDA, you can't post your work whenever you wan't because the people who are managing this site are doing what they wan't.

If you continue like that, XDA, you will loose much people because you are stupid enough to accuse the best and only dev on Xperia P who can port new versions on CM. So thank you guy's, thank you to destroy your own comunity!
    I am still confuse with the white magic.
    It does provide twice brightness because has extra led inside it but does it use twice battery to power them?

The white magic technology has been debated for a number of times on this forum !! i would like to make you and others understand how the white magic works and why shouldnt it be called a so called FLAWED Technology

White Magic delivers a maximum brightness of 900 to 1000nits and it is twice as bright as iphone and three to four times as bright as samsung galaxies. It delivers you insane brightness levels, beyond good and evil.

Sony could simply limit the brightness to some 50-60% of the current levels and give you an accurate color but worse sunlight readability, and would still be head and shoulders above most of the competition.
    Instead they chose to give their users even more brightness reserve for situations where they need it and suddenly it is a huge flaw. Go figure. It is like buying a 4WD and then complaining that ride offroad was not so smooth as on the highway

Magic or not, technology has it's limitations. Traditional LCD's have color filters over each of their subpixels. Those filters let only something like 20-30% of the light through, the rest (over 70%) is just wasted. This is horribly inefficent even before we factor in the crystal matrix (another 50% waste on top), diffusor, polarizers, cover glass etc. This means a lot of the power in running the LED's is completely wasted !!

What Sony did is to put a fourth subpixel without filter alongside of three others. Without filter it is 3 times more efficient as others and additionaly has better spectral purity. Every color is a mix of three primary colors. Like for example violet is 31% Red, 18% Green and 31% Blue. Or 18% white plus 13% red and 13% blue. So you could reduce background illumination and still get the same brightness.
    Of course it is not as simple as it sounds, because for solid colors (or colors with 0% of R, G or B) white pixel is useless. And if you have such pixels on the screen then you actually can't save anything unless you do a selective dimming of backlight illumination. Hence basically stated that the fourth pixel increases the efficiency by almost 3 times of the RGB display but the reduced consumption of battery would be around just 40 to 50%
    You still can cheat and add some white anyway, but the result will be a shift in colors and light bleeding. But our eyes are not perfect, so Sony can probably get away with it to the certain levels.

You start to notice only when getting close to the limits, like those 75%, where colored pixels can't keep up anymore. Remember - they are three times darker as white ones. Sony could either stop there and refuse to mix even more white for additional brightness, or they can mix a bit more and give additional brithness at the cost of color accuracy. I glad they did, I can opt to limit the maximum brightness myself.
    Hope you find my post usefl and informative !!!:cowboy:
    @LoveForEver: Sadly, thats true. Whole story short, percy made a working build of 4.4.1 for Xperia L. Unluckly, he did that before guy named "uberlaggydarwin" who wanted to be super-uber-developer-device-mantainer (who even had written some post about that) for SXL. So with badly hurt ego, he went crying to admins in Development Committee. There he met a "brother-in-arms" jared - member of DC who had never ever developed anything (his "qualification" is having plenty of Samsung/LG devices).
    Percy was accused of blind development, making builds only for money, publishing builds that can brick users phones, etc. No surprise that under these circumstances percy decided to leave XDA.