[Q] Help with safestrap plz...

Search This thread
Jan 12, 2014
Hi, i'm having issues with installing recovery with safestrap.

I have successfully rooted my device using saferoot and confirmed that I have SU access. I then installed Safe Strap 3.71 and followed all instructions, but when I click on "Install Recovery", it brings a pop-up that starts & completes the installation, however, after its completed installing, nothing happens... At the top where it says "State", its still showing "Not Installed" and at the bottom, for "Safe System" its still saying "Not Active" and the "reboot to recovery" is grayed out

any suggestions on how to get past this problem? i've tried re-installing multiple times with both 3.71 and 3.70 but it is still not working.

i'm on AT&T, android 4.3 with build MK2

Thanks!

here's some screen shots: (remove the space b/w ": //")

http ://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/811/i4s0.png

http ://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/545/d9t3.png

Mxracer476

Jan 17, 2014
Georgetown

I have successfully rooted my device using saferoot and confirmed that I have SU access. I then installed Safe Strap 3.71 and followed all instructions, but when I click on "Install Recovery", it brings a pop-up that starts & completes the installation, however, after its completed installing, nothing happens... At the top where it says "State", its still showing "Not Installed" and at the bottom, for "Safe System" its still saying "Not Active" and the "reboot to recovery" is grayed out

any suggestions on how to get past this problem? i've tried re-installing multiple times with both 3.71 and 3.70 but it is still not working.

Thanks!

I am having the same problem with SafeStrap 3.71 saying System Disabled when I reboot. So I downloaded the ROM Manager app from the Play Store for CWM 6.0.4.4 and it doesn't give me the back-up/restore option in its menu. Then when I select reboot under the droid icon on the screen it says error. Hopefully someone can help us out with this! As I really would like to get the GUMMY ROM KitKat 4.4 running on my phone this weekend!!

Also I tried to flash CWM in, but when I get into the last step of the Terminal Emulator is doesn't work ;(

Kaze105

Dec 11, 2010
I am having the same problem with SafeStrap 3.71 saying System Disabled when I reboot. So I downloaded the ROM Manager app from the Play Store for CWM 6.0.4.4 and it doesn't give me the back-up/restore option in its menu. Then when I select reboot under the droid icon on the screen it says error. Hopefully someone can help us out with this! As I really would like to get the GUMMY ROM KitKat 4.4 running on my phone this weekend!!

Also I tried to flash CWM in, but when I get into the last step of the Terminal Emulator is doesn't work ;(

You cannot install CWM or TWRP on the S4 unless you have MDL firmware. You are also out of luck regarding running 4.4 roms. Currently you can only flash 4.3 touchwiz roms if you are on MK2.

dark5577

May 29, 2013

Thanks!

Have you tried restarting to see if it worked anyway, even though it reports it didn't? If it worked it should give you a 10 second window to enter recovery while it's booting. Perhaps you could also check the SuperSU app to see if you for sure gave the SafeStrap installer root access or if you accidentally denied it. Although it would probably give an error if it didn't have SU permissions, but it's worth a shot.

Jan 12, 2014
Have you tried restarting to see if it worked anyway, even though it reports it didn't? If it worked it should give you a 10 second window to enter recovery while it's booting. Perhaps you could also check the SuperSU app to see if you for sure gave the SafeStrap installer root access or if you accidentally denied it. Although it would probably give an error if it didn't have SU permissions, but it's worth a shot.

hey dark, yes, i restarted it, powered off and took the battery out and re-tried installing but for some reason after it says "install complete" nothing seems to happen. SU access is always there too... :confused: :confused:

am I doing something wrong???

Last edited:

dark5577

May 29, 2013
hey dark, yes, i restarted it, powered off and took the battery out and re-tried installing but for some reason after it says "install complete" nothing seems to happen. SU access is always there too... :confused: :confused:

am I doing something wrong???

Nope, it should work. I'm not sure what's wrong. This person seems to have had the same problem: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49381415#post49381415
I don't see any solution in the thread, but you could try quoting their post and asking if they ever solved the problem.

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013

Thanks!

What rom are you on, stock or custom? Safestrap will show to be disabled on the stock rom even when it's installed. It shows active when running a custom rom that is installed on it.

Jan 12, 2014
i am currently on the stock rom... the only things i've done is install saferoot and safestrap so far.... i wanted to install another rom but i thought that I needed "Safe system" to be active so I can click "reboot to recovery" and install new roms?? but right now the "reboot to recovery" button is greyed out.

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
i am currently on the stock rom... the only things i've done is install saferoot and safestrap so far.... i wanted to install another rom but i thought that I needed "Safe system" to be active so I can click "reboot to recovery" and install new roms?? but right now the "reboot to recovery" button is greyed out.

Once you have Safestrap installed on the stock rom then you reboot your phone and you will see the prompt to go to Safestrap recovery or continue to boot. So make certain you've a TW (ONLY) rom you like & copied to your phone & gapps & the modules. Then reboot to safestrap recovery, backup current rom, select a slot for custom (usually slot 1) create slot, Activate rom slot & follow developer install instructions for rom. Safestrap uses TWRP so it's very easy to use & works great.. You should be golden after.

Jan 12, 2014
Once you have Safestrap installed on the stock rom then you reboot your phone and you will see the prompt to go to Safestrap recovery or continue to boot. So make certain you've a TW (ONLY) rom you like & copied to your phone & gapps & the modules. Then reboot to safestrap recovery, backup current rom, select a slot for custom (usually slot 1) create slot, Activate rom slot & follow developer install instructions for rom. Safestrap uses TWRP so it's very easy to use & works great.. You should be golden after.

Hey John, I tried re-booting but im not getting any prompts to go into safestrap revocery. All I see is samsung written on the top with a silver padlock below, with the words "custom" written under the lock. After that screen it goes into the regular at&t startup.

Is there a way to force activate safestrap on re-boot?

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City

Thanks!

U know what your problem is......U need to download SAFESTRAP-V3.71_MK2 FIRMWARENOT v3.70 ....IF I WERE U....:

1 Uninstall SS-v3.70
2 Download and install SS-v3.71 (This would remove our old SS-v3.70)
3.Open SS app and click install recovery
4.If installed then u should be able to reboot to recovery......
5.Do your stock slot back up.....before u flashing custom rom
6.Install custom 4.3 TW rom only....
7.If u bricked ....i hope not.....check out my thread ....on how to get back to stock MK2 rom.......
| ★ UPDATE.ZIP ★ | ►MF3★AT&T★MK2◄ | ★ UNBRICKED ★ | ★ Jan.01.2014 ★ |......:D:p:D

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY FLASHING>>>>>>IF SOMEONE HELP U OR IF THIS IS HELPED U>>>>>>HIT THANK BUTTON>>>>>>:D

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2014
U know what your problem is......U need to download SAFESTRAP-V3.71_MK2 FIRMWARENOT v3.70 ....IF I WERE U....:

1 Uninstall SS-v3.70
2 Download and install SS-v3.71 (This would remove our old SS-v3.70)
3.Open SS app and click install recovery
4.If installed then u should be able to reboot to recovery......
5.Do your stock slot back up.....before u flashing custom rom
6.Install custom 4.3 TW rom only....
7.If u bricked ....i hope not.....check out my thread ....on how to get back to stock MK2 rom.......
| ★ UPDATE.ZIP ★ | ►MF3★AT&T★MK2◄ | ★ UNBRICKED ★ | ★ Jan.01.2014 ★ |......:D:p:D

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY FLASHING>>>>>>IF SOMEONE HELP U OR IF THIS IS HELPED U>>>>>>HIT THANK BUTTON>>>>>>:D

ugh! Thanks a bunch Ted for all that information, but its still not doing anything after installing 3.71.... I even tried re-booting but its still showing as "Safe System: Not Active"........... what the heck is wrong with my S4???!! :mad: :mad:

http: //imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/545/kka2.png

John The Rhino

Dec 25, 2013
Hey John, I tried re-booting but im not getting any prompts to go into safestrap revocery. All I see is samsung written on the top with a silver padlock below, with the words "custom" written under the lock. After that screen it goes into the regular at&t startup.

Is there a way to force activate safestrap on re-boot?

Hmmm. I would double check your unknown sources setting & perhaps even try reinstalling SafeStrap. You will get the Safestrap Splash screen upon reboot which gives you the option to continue to booting the phone or to enter Safestrap recovery. It always shows in red as disabled on stock rom and green as enabled on a custom rom. Do you have Safestrap showing up in your apps?

dark5577

May 29, 2013
ugh! Thanks a bunch Ted for all that information, but its still not doing anything after installing 3.71.... I even tried re-booting but its still showing as "Safe System: Not Active"........... what the heck is wrong with my S4???!! :mad: :mad:

http: //imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/545/kka2.png

Try installing Busybox from the Play Store, then try the installation again.

Safe system will say not active until you switch to a rom slot from within the SafeStrap recovery.

Jan 12, 2014
Try installing Busybox from the Play Store, then try the installation again.

Safe system will say not active until you switch to a rom slot from within the SafeStrap recovery.

Hey dark, I installed busybox and re-installed safestrap, but it is still not working and doing the same thing as before! :(

any other suggestions??