Chinese text in caller id

Search This thread

theblackalchemist

Apr 18, 2014
Dear All,

Recently got a Chinese phone from the net running ICS. I set the language to English, but some cuneiform text appears below the name of the people calling me. Is there any way to fix this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-17-23-48-28.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-17-23-48-28.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 29

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Dear All,

Recently got a Chinese phone from the net running ICS. I set the language to English, but some cuneiform text appears below the name of the people calling me. Is there any way to fix this?

Other than a custom rom or knowing how to decompile the apps and edit out the coding, probably not. Only possible easy solution that might or might not (probably not...) would be to make sure the locale is set to an English speaking country using something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bruce.setlocale

theblackalchemist

Apr 18, 2014
Thanks.

I am not intimidated my code as such (fluent in c++) but it'll take some time to understand android... Any idea which app I should look at? considering android is open source, I can probably patch the change in, create a replacement app and see if that works...

KR
TBA

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Thanks.

I am not intimidated my code as such (fluent in c++) but it'll take some time to understand android... Any idea which app I should look at? considering android is open source, I can probably patch the change in, create a replacement app and see if that works...

KR
TBA

It's most likely either in something like a LocationProvider.apk (/system/apps) or the phone/dialer apk. If you are rooted, I'd try and free the LocationProvider,apk and see if that doesn't help. Try the easy stuff first. :) But I'd poke around in a thread like this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1891962 or something similar that deals with this idea on porting Chinese roms to English.

Or you could just be lazy and see if installing another Contact/Dialer app from the Play Store just circumvents the whole deal.

theblackalchemist

Apr 18, 2014
Already tried using a caller id app, its more of a hit and miss... I was wondering what would happen if I just happen to replace the apps you mentioned from those of stock android? does that make sense?