ATT Tethering Warning

For all those who received a Warning: Did you tether to any device besides your phone

• Yes

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

privatewarrior1

Nov 29, 2011
I know there are many of these threads but I am interested in a having an HONEST poll of all of those who got a tethering warning from ATT?

Please only participate if you've received the warning. And let's be honest guys. The poll is private. There are many stories that people got the warning by mistake. That they've never tethered.

If this is true, then their detection system stinks and we need to be careful and probably get ready to react in groups. We all have like less than 10 days before they will drop the hammer on our plans. So we need to be prepared.

Last edited:

privatewarrior1

Nov 29, 2011
I start with myself. I tethered sporadically during last year, but usage was always below 2GB. Last 2 months, went up to around 17gb, then 24gb, and then bam, the warning letter. But most of the data was consumed by the phone. .

RavenZwei

Jul 21, 2010
Northern Virginia Area
Back on my Note 1 I received a warning for tethering. I was using it very sporadically with the stock app after rooting, etc. I got a text and an email. Called them and played dumb. Said that if I didn't stop they would switch my own. Eventually flashed another Rom on my phone and tried again. Tethered quite a bit and never received another warning or had my plan changed.

Not sure how they are checking, but that's my story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

jgrnght

Mar 3, 2008
I got the letter, continued to tether and they never touched my plan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Yeah, what does this ominous statement mean, lol:eek:

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

I have no clue myself another 10 day thing either.:confused: Think we're all baffled on that statement!!

If any company changes your data plan without your knowledge:what:, then it can b reversed back to your original plan. If your on grandfathered plan. That's what you'll get our back to. Just as long as it state's that on the account, that you had it B4 they changed it out!!! All it takes is a quick phone call, or a visit to your local store. Always remember deal with a supervisor on the phone, and a Manger in the store. You'll get better results.
Just my 2¢:cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

DeerChaser

Sep 14, 2010
Palm Bay
I have no clue myself another 10 day thing either.:confused: Think we're all baffled on that statement!!

If any company changes your data plan without your knowledge:what:, then it can b reversed back to your original plan. If your on grandfathered plan. That's what you'll get our back to. Just as long as it state's that on the account, that you had it B4 they changed it out!!! All it takes is a quick phone call, or a visit to your local store. Always remember deal with a supervisor on the phone, and a Manger in the store. You'll get better results.
Just my 2¢:cool:

I use Foxfi, never got a letter.

youwonder

Dec 22, 2011
I used to tether a lot on verizon, but I've heard horror stories about ATTs detection of it, so I don't want to try it.

jamesc760

May 12, 2010
I received the warning message last summer/fall. was tethering sporadically for a couple of years. The reason they were able to detect my tethering was because I allowed my daughter's iphone to tether to my phone, 2 weeks later, I got the warning message.

I am still tethering sometimes but I am very careful, like only tethering other android devices like my nexus 7 and note 10.1, etc... Never another iphone, windows machines or xbox.

knlgSeeker

Jul 30, 2010
Sunrise, FL
Google Pixel 5
I got one about 2 years ago.. similar situation, i let a friend tether his ipod, and shortly after, i got the warning. before that, i was tethering heavily for months.. coincidentally, shortly before that i got the "you are among the 5% of highest data users.." letter. gotta love the limited unlimited plan!

I haven't had the need to tether lately, but if the need arises.. i sure will. no more apple products in my circle though. snitches. :laugh:

I received the warning message last summer/fall. was tethering sporadically for a couple of years. The reason they were able to detect my tethering was because I allowed my daughter's iphone to tether to my phone, 2 weeks later, I got the warning message.

I am still tethering sometimes but I am very careful, like only tethering other android devices like my nexus 7 and note 10.1, etc... Never another iphone, windows machines or xbox.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
I got one about 2 years ago.. similar situation, i let a friend tether his ipod, and shortly after, i got the warning. before that, i was tethering heavily for months.. coincidentally, shortly before that i got the "you are among the 5% of highest data users.." letter. gotta love the limited unlimited plan!

I haven't had the need to tether lately, but if the need arises.. i sure will. no more apple products in my circle though. snitches. :laugh:

+1
Luv that last part of your statement! No more Crapple products:D. Lol

terranova88

Jun 29, 2012
I received the text and e-mail from AT&T complaining that I was tethering. I'll admit I did tether on my iPhone4 but after I got the first letter from them I stopped completely because I loved my unlimited data. Well I finally ditched the iPhone and got the Galaxy S2 (AT&T version) and not 2 months after I got it I received a phone call from AT&T saying that since I had tethered my device (iPhone4) they were removing me from my grandfathered unlimited data to a 2GB package for $35 dollars. I said hell no I haven't tethered since I received the waning from them and they removed me from it anyways. I was unable to do anything about them removing it from my contract. Called multiple numbers and spoke with multiple supervisors, didn't make a darn difference. So I am now paying $45 a month for 4GB with tethering since I find myself using it pretty regularly now on my Note 2. It's depressing that I pay as much for slow HSPA+ as I do for 40mbps Charter at home. -_-

privatewarrior1

Nov 29, 2011
I received the text and e-mail from AT&T complaining that I was tethering. I'll admit I did tether on my iPhone4 but after I got the first letter from them I stopped completely because I loved my unlimited data. Well I finally ditched the iPhone and got the Galaxy S2 (AT&T version) and not 2 months after I got it I received a phone call from AT&T saying that since I had tethered my device (iPhone4) they were removing me from my grandfathered unlimited data to a 2GB package for $35 dollars. I said hell no I haven't tethered since I received the waning from them and they removed me from it anyways. I was unable to do anything about them removing it from my contract. Called multiple numbers and spoke with multiple supervisors, didn't make a darn difference. So I am now paying $45 a month for 4GB with tethering since I find myself using it pretty regularly now on my Note 2. It's depressing that I pay as much for slow HSPA+ as I do for 40mbps Charter at home. -_-

you should be able to get out of your contract?

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.

Ok :mad:.
I read your post and I noticed that you didn't mention, any thing about actually going into a physical AT&T Store! Because most of the phone rep reps don't know crap. And can't help you most of the time. I would have taken it to a corporate store, told them that someone switched your contract without your knowledge. Like I said B4, it happen to a friend of mine switching phones just as you did. They changed her contract. But I got it switched back after going into the store. And speaking to a manger there.;) Just b very convincing. And your problem will b fixed. But not sure how long you've been on that new contract. Maybe too late now! Anyhow good luck to ya.
Just my 2¢