Fyi - output to Samsung wireless HDMI device doesn't scale to 16x9

Search This thread

Buji

Jan 9, 2007
I get sidebars on the 1080p output setting. I don't think the wireless dongle supports any higher resolution, and I don't have a 4k display to test, even if it did.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

jake21

Apr 29, 2011
What is a samsung wireless hdmi device ? Do you mean dlna ?

I get sidebars on the 1080p output setting. I don't think the wireless dongle supports any higher resolution, and I don't have a 4k display to test, even if it did.

Buji

Jan 9, 2007
Change on yours TV to fit and not 16:9 mode.

Yeah, the problem isn't the TV's scaling, it is adding blank information to the sides at the device level. The allshare adapter handshakes with a full 1080p signal that fills the 1:1 pixel mapping mode of my (Samsung) tv perfectly. My galaxy s4 through the same adapter sends along a properly formatted signal.

Since the native 2560x1600 resolution breaks down to a 16x10 ratio instead of the standard 1080p standard of 16x9, it can either add the bars, rescale the image [introducing a subtle geometric squash) or zoom the image and chop the top and bottom of the signal. Since zooming the image would result is lost information, and rescaling is pretty processor intensive I can see why they chose the route to add the sidebars.

My Samsung tv, which is only a few years old, doesn't have a zoom mode that doesn't also cut off some of the picture image, and since the black bars are part of the 1080p signal, it is technically displaying the picture correctly.

dt33

Apr 11, 2010
Yeah, the problem isn't the TV's scaling, it is adding blank information to the sides at the device level. The allshare adapter handshakes with a full 1080p signal that fills the 1:1 pixel mapping mode of my (Samsung) tv perfectly. My galaxy s4 through the same adapter sends along a properly formatted signal.

Since the native 2560x1600 resolution breaks down to a 16x10 ratio instead of the standard 1080p standard of 16x9, it can either add the bars, rescale the image [introducing a subtle geometric squash) or zoom the image and chop the top and bottom of the signal. Since zooming the image would result is lost information, and rescaling is pretty processor intensive I can see why they chose the route to add the sidebars.

My Samsung tv, which is only a few years old, doesn't have a zoom mode that doesn't also cut off some of the picture image, and since the black bars are part of the 1080p signal, it is technically displaying the picture correctly.
You are correct, mine WiFi dongle arrived yesterday and I also got black borders when using screen mirroring and it works fine with MHL 2.0 adapter. So no idea why its black borders with WiFi. :rolleyes:

Buji

Jan 9, 2007
The 2012 note 10.1 did the same thing. Good to know the MHL adapter works, mine is broken and I haven't replaced it yet.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

Outputting from my N10.1-14 (same screen resolution as the N12) to a '13 Samsung SmartTV via AllShare Cast...

1080P MKV file...

720P Google Play Movie...

Plain old screen mirroring...

Reactions: ozz007

Buji

Jan 9, 2007
It's a little tough to see, but it looks like the 10.1 2014 does NOT have this problem? That is interesting!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Outputting from my N10.1-14 (same screen resolution as the N12) to a '13 Samsung SmartTV via AllShare Cast...

1080P MKV file...

720P Google Play Movie...

Plain old screen mirroring...