[APP] Syncroid - Outlook to Android calendar sync [update 12 March 2011]

Search This thread

demosten

Dec 31, 2008
Sofia
www.demosten.com
Description:
Synchronizes your Outlook client calendar with your Android calendar.

Motivation:
I needed to synchronize my Outlook with Android. There are many reasons to do so instead of using exchange synchronization. You might use Outlook without Exchange or work in a corporate environment, which does not allow you to access Exchange directly. Android does not provide such an option.

Syncroid is my solution. It only synchronizes meetings (appointments) and only from PC to Android, but it can be extended to do both direction synchronization and synchronize contacts. I'm at the point when this application works fine for me, but if you find it useful you can dictate its future, features and implementation priorities. This version is free. Since it already took lots of my free time, at some point I'll probably split it to paid and lite versions. This will happen if development becomes more complex and only when I feel application is stable enough to be commercial.

It's up to you. Give it a try. It is work in progress expect bugs! Report problems and I'll do my best to fix them. Give ideas for future features and feature implementation priorities or just tell me how good or bad you feel about it.

Installation:

1. Install Syncroid on your Android device and run it. Minimal Android version to run is 2.0.
  2. Export your calendar data. This needs to be done at least once! It is currently not used because Android to Outlook synchronization is not supported yet.
  3. Mount your Android device as a drive to Windows.
  4. Install "syncroid_setup.exe" from "syncroid" folder of your Android drive and run the program. Installer and installed executable are code signed by me.
You could use one or more of the three ways to synchronize. Via remote server (recommended), via adb or via Android drive.

Steps to synchronize via remote server:

1. Make sure you've selected Server -> "Use server" from PC program's preferences
  2. Open Syncroid on your Android device and go to "Connect to remote server"
  3. Select connect to remote server
  4. Set your host name or IP. You could set several hosts/IPs delimited by space!
  5. Set connection mode and if needed "Check regularly" settings
  6. You could synchronize manually or just test you settings by selecting "Connect now". Please note that you might have firewall or proxy settings you'll need to apply.
  7. The first time you connect you will be asked to allow/deny synchronization with this device.
Steps to synchronize via adb:

1. Make sure you've selected Server -> "Use adb interface" from PC program's preferences
  2. You need to switch on USB debugging on your Android device in Settings -> Applications -> Development.
  3. Sync starts as soon as you connect your phone with an USB cable. Importing of new data also happens automatically. Please note that unlike disk drive mode, you'll probably be asked to provide vendor specific USB drivers for your phone in order for this mode to work.
  4. The first time you connect you will be asked to allow/deny synchronization with this device.
Steps to synchronize via Android drive:

1. Make sure you've selected Server -> "Use Android drive interface" from PC program's preferences
  2. Mount your Android device as a drive to Windows.
  3. Send data to your Android device by double clicking on the "Syncroid" icon in Windows tray notification area. This is done automatically every several minutes if Auto synchronize option is checked.
  4. Dismount your Android drive from Windows.
  5. Import data from your Android program. This is done automatically when you dismount Android drive if Auto synchronize option of the Android program is checked.
Reporting problems:
If program crashes it could send me automated reports. Since 9th of October Syncroid supports verbose logging. You can send me a private message with the content of the log file which can be found on your Windows drive in "\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Syncroid\Syncroid.log" if you are using Vista or newer Windows or in "\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Syncroid\Syncroid.log" if you are using Windows XP. Please do not paste the content in the forum in order to keep it clean.

Known problems and limitations:

• Currently it is assumed that the time zone of your device is the same as the time zone of your PC. I don't know is this going to be a problem and do we need a better solution. Will count on users' voice on this
TODO:

• Add two way sync
  • Contacts sync
  • Tasks sync
  • (The rest of this list and its order are up to you)

Attachments

• pc_syncroid.png
    pc_syncroid.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,739
  • android_syncroid.jpg
    android_syncroid.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,271
  • Syncroid.apk
    4.1 MB · Views: 6,825
Last edited:

demosten

Dec 31, 2008
Sofia
www.demosten.com
Current release notes:
I've finally found a way to make our calendars full class citizens. There are no "hacks" anymore and Google synchronization will not destroy them. However keep in mind, that from now on, uninstalling means removing your Syncroid calendars from Android calendar. The best way to ensure this doesn't happen is to update Syncroid (instead of uninstalling it and installing the new version). From PC this can be done with adb command like 'adb install -r Syncroid.apk'. There should be similar (visual) tool on Android, but I don't know one. If you know please notify me. In case you uninstall Syncroid and install the new version remember that database is lost, but your SD card contains the last imported data. Just install the new version and press "Import now" in Syncroid's main window. Please note that after you sync with version 1.5 you could have duplicate information in two calendars. One with Google calendar events and second with Syncroid calendar events. You can use the new "Manage calendars" to delete the calendar created by Syncroid under your Google account. You can also disable the calendar from Android calendar "Calendars" menu if you are using Android 2.2 and up.

Version history:
12.03.2011 - version 1.5.1.50

• Android: Improved way to extract PC setup
  • Android: Added some visual feedback, and many minor changes
  • PC: Fixed possible crash with outlook library
  • PC: Fixed problem with update dialog not showing up until you show options
  • PC: Improved logging
  • PC: Added support for removing known device serial numbers from tray menu
28.02.2011 - version 1.5.0.44

• Android: Compatible with Android 2.0 and up only (the old version was compatible with 1.6 too)
  • Android: Removed limitation to disable auto synchronization
  • Android: fixed several possible crash problems
  • Android: added Calendar manager which allows you to delete unnecessary calendars
  • Android: tested and worked with Android 2.2 and 2.3. If you experience problems with any version starting from Android 2.0 and up, please notify me.
  • PC: added option to use current host name as a calendar name
  • PC: removed option to use default calendar. This is not applicable now that Syncroid is using it's own account to provide calendars.
  • PC: added support for extracting owner e-mail address from Outlook profile and provide it to Android calendar
  • PC: better support for selecting default outlook profile
  • PC: fixed dialog asking for permissions is now shown modal
  • PC: many minor fixes and external tools and libraries updates
11.01.2011 - version 1.4.2.32

• Fixed a nasty bug with memory copy from Outlook. If you have experienced crashes before please give it a try!
06.01.2011 - version 1.4.1.30

• Added Android calendar color selection to Preferences > Calendar tab (available only when using custom calendars). This way you could use Syncroid from more than one location and distinct calendar events.
  • Added "Last sync on <date>" in Preferences > Server tab. Now you can see when was the last time you synchronized. Field get cleared upon application restart.
  • Fixed a problem with PC update. Result was that the updater cannot overwrite adb files when updating durring adb sync. If you have this problem (while updating previous version) you need to disconnect USB cable and manually kill adb. You could also mount your Android drive and install from installer located in Syncroid folder there.
  • Fixed many small bugs including some cleanup code in Outlook handling.
10.12.2010 - version 1.4.0.26

• Added support for remote server synchronization.
  • Added options to switch on/off different connection modes
  • Fixed many small bugs.
13.11.2010 - version 1.3.3.22

• Added support for ADB. You need to switch on USB debugging in Settings -> Applications -> Development. In this mode you don't need to use Android drive. Sync starts as soon as you connect your phone. Importing of new data also happens automatically. Please note that unlike disk drive mode, you'll probably be asked to provide vendor specific USB drivers for your phone in order for this mode to work.
  • Removed 1.1.2011 expiration limitation
25.10.2010 - version 1.3.3.16

• Added Crash reporting
  • Improved logging
  • Added field to compensate any differences between Android and PC timezone incompatibilities.
  • Removed some code not needed yet (will bring it back when implementing Android to PC sync)
  • Android part now has more robust extraction code for PC setup.
9.10.2010 - version 1.1.2.13

• Added verbose logging (see Reporting problems section)
2.10.2010 - Initial version 1.1.2.12

Last edited:

coolface

Jan 5, 2007
This program is excellent. I use the Lenovo LePhone and this program is the only program which I can use to sync my calendar.

Only problem is that after the first sync subsequent syncs didn't update my calendar and after installing the program again (hoping to rectify the problem that way), everytime I try to sync the desktop client with the Android the desktop sync crashes and closes by itself. Would be great if you could help with this!

demosten

Dec 31, 2008
Sofia
www.demosten.com
Only problem is that after the first sync subsequent syncs didn't update my calendar and after installing the program again (hoping to rectify the problem that way), everytime I try to sync the desktop client with the Android the desktop sync crashes and closes by itself. Would be great if you could help with this!

I'll add some logging and probably crash reporting. Stay tuned :) Meanwhile please check the following. After update you should have two files "android.zip" and "pc.zip" inside your "syncroid" directory on the mounted Android drive. Try deleting pc.zip, sync and check is it there after sync (even if PC program crashes).

coolface

Jan 5, 2007
I have tried updating but the desktop client crashes. After the crash i checked the Syncroid directory and there is only the android.zip file. no pc.zip.

demosten

Dec 31, 2008
Sofia
www.demosten.com
I have tried updating but the desktop client crashes. After the crash i checked the Syncroid directory and there is only the android.zip file. no pc.zip.
I've uploaded an updated version. Please check "Reporting problems" section of the initial post. After you install the updated version and start it, it needs some time to extract PC part. You know it is OK when you later mount your Android as drive and Sync asks you to update. After the update, sync again and the .log file should appear.

Gonaden

Oct 4, 2009
X10 minipro

Hi!
Great job...i´ve been looking for an app like this for a long time, and finally!
It seems too work on my X10minipro, not tested fully, but it works for now:)

SE X10 minipro U20i Android 1.6 ver.1.2.A.1.174

Thanks...

braiden79

Jul 2, 2009
I have a client crash in Windows Vista. Is crash in 2 or 3 seconds after start.

Is the Company PC maybe have more security

This is the Log
[15.10.2010|08:55:21|verbose] Synchronize started
[15.10.2010|08:55:21|verbose] Android device: found
[15.10.2010|08:55:21|verbose] Synchronizing with profile: 00000000
[15.10.2010|08:55:21|info] Logging in profile: Default Outlook Profile
[15.10.2010|08:55:22|verbose] Getting outlook appontment list
[15.10.2010|08:55:22|verbose] Found 740 appontments

Namiga

Aug 16, 2010
A question about it .... Is possible to run the app with another calendar application?
I use Jorte instead Android Calendar ...

Thanks in Advance :)

demosten

Dec 31, 2008
Sofia
www.demosten.com
A question about it .... Is possible to run the app with another calendar application?
I use Jorte instead Android Calendar ...

I've checked Jorte application. In Google calendar mode it has no problem if you select Syncroid calendar. In Jorte mode it uses it's own database I know nothing about. However it supports .CSV import. Maybe this is a way to go, but it will require manual import from Jorte app. The right way is to talk to Jorte for some way to access the database or at least trigger a .CSV import automatically. How do you use it?

plvigo

Sep 15, 2007
syncroid_setup.exe

Sorry, but I cannot find syncroid_setup.exe!
Can you please help me?

plvigo

Sep 15, 2007
After you install Syncroid on your Android device and start it. Give it a minute to extract the setup. Then mount your Android device as drive in Windows and syncroid_setup.exe should be in \syncroid folder there.

Thank you very much! I found it and I installed in the pc.
Now I have problems to connect the device (HTC Aria) to my pc; the error message is "cannot find Android device drive attached".
Is a problem of ADB driver? I have installed that one of the HTC Sync. Can you please help me again?

plvigo

Sep 15, 2007
Thank you very much! I found it and I installed in the pc.
Now I have problems to connect the device (HTC Aria) to my pc; the error message is "cannot find Android device drive attached".
Is a problem of ADB driver? I have installed that one of the HTC Sync. Can you please help me again?

Hi! I solve the problem!!
So now it seems that is synchronizing... I hope that the software works, given that I have 28.900 appointments...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:
    Synchronizes your Outlook client calendar with your Android calendar.

Motivation:
    I needed to synchronize my Outlook with Android. There are many reasons to do so instead of using exchange synchronization. You might use Outlook without Exchange or work in a corporate environment, which does not allow you to access Exchange directly. Android does not provide such an option.

Syncroid is my solution. It only synchronizes meetings (appointments) and only from PC to Android, but it can be extended to do both direction synchronization and synchronize contacts. I'm at the point when this application works fine for me, but if you find it useful you can dictate its future, features and implementation priorities. This version is free. Since it already took lots of my free time, at some point I'll probably split it to paid and lite versions. This will happen if development becomes more complex and only when I feel application is stable enough to be commercial.

It's up to you. Give it a try. It is work in progress expect bugs! Report problems and I'll do my best to fix them. Give ideas for future features and feature implementation priorities or just tell me how good or bad you feel about it.

Installation:

1. Install Syncroid on your Android device and run it. Minimal Android version to run is 2.0.
    2. Export your calendar data. This needs to be done at least once! It is currently not used because Android to Outlook synchronization is not supported yet.
    3. Mount your Android device as a drive to Windows.
    4. Install "syncroid_setup.exe" from "syncroid" folder of your Android drive and run the program. Installer and installed executable are code signed by me.
    You could use one or more of the three ways to synchronize. Via remote server (recommended), via adb or via Android drive.

Steps to synchronize via remote server:

1. Make sure you've selected Server -> "Use server" from PC program's preferences
    2. Open Syncroid on your Android device and go to "Connect to remote server"
    3. Select connect to remote server
    4. Set your host name or IP. You could set several hosts/IPs delimited by space!
    5. Set connection mode and if needed "Check regularly" settings
    6. You could synchronize manually or just test you settings by selecting "Connect now". Please note that you might have firewall or proxy settings you'll need to apply.
    7. The first time you connect you will be asked to allow/deny synchronization with this device.
    Steps to synchronize via adb:

1. Make sure you've selected Server -> "Use adb interface" from PC program's preferences
    2. You need to switch on USB debugging on your Android device in Settings -> Applications -> Development.
    3. Sync starts as soon as you connect your phone with an USB cable. Importing of new data also happens automatically. Please note that unlike disk drive mode, you'll probably be asked to provide vendor specific USB drivers for your phone in order for this mode to work.
    4. The first time you connect you will be asked to allow/deny synchronization with this device.
    Steps to synchronize via Android drive:

1. Make sure you've selected Server -> "Use Android drive interface" from PC program's preferences
    2. Mount your Android device as a drive to Windows.
    3. Send data to your Android device by double clicking on the "Syncroid" icon in Windows tray notification area. This is done automatically every several minutes if Auto synchronize option is checked.
    4. Dismount your Android drive from Windows.
    5. Import data from your Android program. This is done automatically when you dismount Android drive if Auto synchronize option of the Android program is checked.
    Reporting problems:
    If program crashes it could send me automated reports. Since 9th of October Syncroid supports verbose logging. You can send me a private message with the content of the log file which can be found on your Windows drive in "\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Syncroid\Syncroid.log" if you are using Vista or newer Windows or in "\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Syncroid\Syncroid.log" if you are using Windows XP. Please do not paste the content in the forum in order to keep it clean.

Known problems and limitations:

• Currently it is assumed that the time zone of your device is the same as the time zone of your PC. I don't know is this going to be a problem and do we need a better solution. Will count on users' voice on this
    TODO:

• Add two way sync
    • Contacts sync
    • Tasks sync
    • (The rest of this list and its order are up to you)
    Current release notes:
    I've finally found a way to make our calendars full class citizens. There are no "hacks" anymore and Google synchronization will not destroy them. However keep in mind, that from now on, uninstalling means removing your Syncroid calendars from Android calendar. The best way to ensure this doesn't happen is to update Syncroid (instead of uninstalling it and installing the new version). From PC this can be done with adb command like 'adb install -r Syncroid.apk'. There should be similar (visual) tool on Android, but I don't know one. If you know please notify me. In case you uninstall Syncroid and install the new version remember that database is lost, but your SD card contains the last imported data. Just install the new version and press "Import now" in Syncroid's main window. Please note that after you sync with version 1.5 you could have duplicate information in two calendars. One with Google calendar events and second with Syncroid calendar events. You can use the new "Manage calendars" to delete the calendar created by Syncroid under your Google account. You can also disable the calendar from Android calendar "Calendars" menu if you are using Android 2.2 and up.

Version history:
    12.03.2011 - version 1.5.1.50

• Android: Improved way to extract PC setup
    • Android: Added some visual feedback, and many minor changes
    • PC: Fixed possible crash with outlook library
    • PC: Fixed problem with update dialog not showing up until you show options
    • PC: Improved logging
    • PC: Added support for removing known device serial numbers from tray menu
    28.02.2011 - version 1.5.0.44

• Android: Compatible with Android 2.0 and up only (the old version was compatible with 1.6 too)
    • Android: Removed limitation to disable auto synchronization
    • Android: fixed several possible crash problems
    • Android: added Calendar manager which allows you to delete unnecessary calendars
    • Android: tested and worked with Android 2.2 and 2.3. If you experience problems with any version starting from Android 2.0 and up, please notify me.
    • PC: added option to use current host name as a calendar name
    • PC: removed option to use default calendar. This is not applicable now that Syncroid is using it's own account to provide calendars.
    • PC: added support for extracting owner e-mail address from Outlook profile and provide it to Android calendar
    • PC: better support for selecting default outlook profile
    • PC: fixed dialog asking for permissions is now shown modal
    • PC: many minor fixes and external tools and libraries updates
    11.01.2011 - version 1.4.2.32

• Fixed a nasty bug with memory copy from Outlook. If you have experienced crashes before please give it a try!
    06.01.2011 - version 1.4.1.30

• Added Android calendar color selection to Preferences > Calendar tab (available only when using custom calendars). This way you could use Syncroid from more than one location and distinct calendar events.
    • Added "Last sync on <date>" in Preferences > Server tab. Now you can see when was the last time you synchronized. Field get cleared upon application restart.
    • Fixed a problem with PC update. Result was that the updater cannot overwrite adb files when updating durring adb sync. If you have this problem (while updating previous version) you need to disconnect USB cable and manually kill adb. You could also mount your Android drive and install from installer located in Syncroid folder there.
    • Fixed many small bugs including some cleanup code in Outlook handling.
    10.12.2010 - version 1.4.0.26

• Added support for remote server synchronization.
    • Added options to switch on/off different connection modes
    • Fixed many small bugs.
    13.11.2010 - version 1.3.3.22

• Added support for ADB. You need to switch on USB debugging in Settings -> Applications -> Development. In this mode you don't need to use Android drive. Sync starts as soon as you connect your phone. Importing of new data also happens automatically. Please note that unlike disk drive mode, you'll probably be asked to provide vendor specific USB drivers for your phone in order for this mode to work.
    • Removed 1.1.2011 expiration limitation
    25.10.2010 - version 1.3.3.16

• Added Crash reporting
    • Improved logging
    • Added field to compensate any differences between Android and PC timezone incompatibilities.
    • Removed some code not needed yet (will bring it back when implementing Android to PC sync)
    • Android part now has more robust extraction code for PC setup.
    9.10.2010 - version 1.1.2.13

• Added verbose logging (see Reporting problems section)
    2.10.2010 - Initial version 1.1.2.12
    Please read my answers between the questions

Demosten,

I run syncdroid.net where I list most software that syncs Outlook to Androids. I have included Syncroid in our list, but have some questions to ask to fill out the matrix for your software more completely. I, and many others, would appreciate your help.

If I understand correctly, this version only syncs from Outlook to Android, but not the other way, yet. Correct?

Currently yes. The rest is in TODO list

Which versions of Outlook are currently supported? I see mention of Outlook 2010 64 bit.

Tested with Outlook 2003 32bit and 2010 32 and 64 bit

Is the app on the Android market yet?

No, it will be there when functionality is complete

Is there a website other than here where you host the software? Is there a user's manual that can be downloaded/viewed?

There is a help in the context menu (right click on Syncroid's system tray icon). It's is a little bit outdated in the latest versions. Also in about dialog you can see the main site. Currently I don't support backup download there, but it can be done if direct download link is needed.

Anything else you wish to add would be appreciated. Thank you.
    When you have a moment, I have a few more questions about Syncroid.

What is the minimum Android OS you know is supported?

Currently it is 1.6 but I'll probably have to move to 2.01 in order to remove the nasty limitation to stop Google calendar sync in order to use Syncroid

Does it sync calendar categories (personal, business, etc)?

I don't use them and cannot give an answer. I'll research how they are used and might add this to TODO list

I don't think this is even possible, but does it sync an Outlook distribution list or Outlook contact list (multiple contacts referred to by one name, like HR listing all people in the HR department)?

Currently it doesn't sync any contacts. I'm working on this but it is too early to answer

Thank you for your time. BTW, you are in the top 8 sync software that people view.
    There might be a bug related to tight admin rights here. I'll check crash report for hints about it. The text logs also revealed some strange behaviour I didn't see before. If I find anything that might help I'll let you know via private message. Regards!

I'm really thankful for this program. I have no admin rights on my office PC so I was desperate in my effort to install good sync software for Outlook and my android.

Syncroid looks very good. It installs without problem in PC and in phone too. As I do not have even rights for adb I have to use USB connection.