So fed up with the G2X

Search This thread

theking_13

Dec 20, 2011
Florida
I had the same problems with mine up until about a week ago. I read an article that stated it wasn't the phones problem but a battery problem due to LG batteries having a bad batch and overall suck. I ordered a anker battery off of eBay and guess what? I have not had one single issue again for a week straight. Same rom and kernel as before. So to anyone having issues and are using the stock battery replace it with a non OEM brand.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

I was just about to post this! My 1550 mAh Anker battery lasts me from 6am to around 11pm when I charge it. Not only are any issues gone (sometimes had random reboots, maybe 3-4 times a week, nothing big but still annoying especially if I'm listening to music), but it also lasts maybe 2 hours longer for me than stock. Try this before you sell it. You'll regret it later of you don't. (;

Sent from my amazing G2X running Bionic Reloaded v1.2.1

Reactions: jcbofkc

g2xkid

Aug 11, 2011
Fort Lauderdale
I don't feel that I am missing out in any way shape or form. After having a Nexus S in the past and having used my mom's nexus s since the 4.0.3 update, I can tell you that it blows my G2X out of the water. Single core or not, I will take a bugless interface over what I have been dealing with on the G2X. I am unable to keep it on for more than an hour at a time, at which point I get the sleep of death. This is my 3rd G2X and they have all had the same issues. I have tried every custom rom and every kernel and every combination in between. I am experienced with flashing roms and kernels and can not for the life of me make this phone worth anything. I'm done with it. So yeah...I am considering going back to the Nexus S.

One more thing. Thank you so much to all of the devs for the G2X. Thanks for all of the work that all of you have put in trying to make this phone everything it should be. You are very much appreciated.

Bye bye!!!!!! And good riddance!!!!!

Spitfire

Nov 16, 2011
Miami, FL
If you are done with the g2x and can get $240 for it you should take it. They routinely sell for less (on craigslist anyhow).

I also agree with whoever recommended raising the minimum frequency on setCPU, it solved my SOD problems on faux OC/UV kernel and it's working great!

joezilla83

Jul 12, 2010
New York
I think the G2x is a great phone. I was never exposed to the phones flaws because i rooted mine immediately after buying it on Ebay. I must say the developer support is Amazing and i'm sure there are more optimizations to come. With that being said if you have the cash and are in for a new phone, go with one of those quad core monstrosities that will be popping up soon. Then again, who is to say those phones will not have issues of their own?

ala380

Aug 18, 2007
I am truly sorry to hear that. I have had great luck with my G2x. With customs roms it never freezes, I never experience the SOD, and it is blazingly fast. Battery life has also been really good. It hasn't so much as stuttered. As we all know though every device is different. I don't know how you managed to get three devices that have the same problems but that really sucks. It's going to be a long time before I replace my G2x.

jcbofkc

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas City
I had the same problems with mine up until about a week ago. I read an article that stated it wasn't the phones problem but a battery problem due to LG batteries having a bad batch and overall suck. I ordered a anker battery off of eBay and guess what? I have not had one single issue again for a week straight. Same rom and kernel as before. So to anyone having issues and are using the stock battery replace it with a non OEM brand.

I agree. The battery was/is an issue, especially for those people that are buying used devices. I have five of these phones. Two had issues. New battery in one fixed it. The other one I swaped at T-Mobile. Considering starting a service to repair dead G2x's. Cheap replacement battery and the right software can do wonders

albertorodast2007

Oct 10, 2010
Guatemala
Are we getting it for sure on T mobile USA. Plus should I really trust their homemade apple pie(in-house developed quad core processor)???

I have used several international Huawei before and they all have been sub-par. they really are a budget phone maker and I don't want to be their Guinea pig for the high end market.

I would love to get my hands on A nokia pureview 808 if we can get CM on it and it doesn't take away from the camera.

I love my G2x specially now that ICS is knocking our doors, so I'm sticking a little bit more with it till I probably gave it to my wife and get my hands over a Quad Core.

Dunno for shure, Im not an US T-Mo user... Never had the opportunity to use one of their products but this benchs look promising http://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-ascend-d-quad-xl-benchmarks-specs-57348/

Nobody gave a sh*t for HTC before 2000 and now they have some pretty decent decives, and for a quad core that will cost arround 20% - 50% less than competing devices... I'm in!

Sent from my LG-P999

Last edited:

IRASadPanda

Dec 30, 2011
Johns Creek
Bye bye!!!!!! And good riddance!!!!!

Don't be like that.

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

I was just about to post this! My 1550 mAh Anker battery lasts me from 6am to around 11pm when I charge it. Not only are any issues gone (sometimes had random reboots, maybe 3-4 times a week, nothing big but still annoying especially if I'm listening to music), but it also lasts maybe 2 hours longer for me than stock. Try this before you sell it. You'll regret it later of you don't. (;

Sent from my amazing G2X running Bionic Reloaded v1.2.1

I can actually get over 60 hours of light use on my stock batter with my ROM/Kernel and tweaks combo.

But I get SOD's so I'm probably going to get a seidio innocel 1750 mah, more expensive but I'd rather not take a chance with those random companies I've never heard of, especially when they have a reputation for being less than 1500 mah and for frying phones.

mansa_noob

Feb 21, 2012
Markham
Love the phone except Bluetooth issues.

<= 2.3.3 the connection would be lost but the phone doesn't think so. This is regardless of ROM.

>2.3.3 won't mute the microphone when audio is being routed through Bluetooth.

I need to take it back or put it under a bus and see if it fixed the problem.

I guess no phone is perfect!

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

AndroidBotx

Jan 21, 2012
Reno/Tahoe
Well my wife had the G2x for 4 months. She went thru 6 replacements all under warranty before we decided to give LG and Tmobile the finger. I had the htc g2 and that phone had its own set of issues. So thanks to LG my wife HATES android (Thanks LG) and she got the CrApple iSuck 4S and i got the Samsung Galaxy S II (Samsung Epic Touch 4G) and this phone kills my old G2 and my wifes G2x combined. The SGS2 is the way to go. Zero Lag. Pure Performance. Nice UI. Best Camera. You name it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

DsturbD

Feb 27, 2012
Kannapolis, NC
i've had mine for just over a week and flashed it right off with eagles blood and i havent had any issue with it that would make me throw it out the window, so far its been a great first android device for me!

NekoNyapii

Jan 5, 2012
Mesa
I think you have to test out a little more rom/kernel combos. I admit, sometimes the G2x annoys me a lot cause it seems buggy at times, but when you find a good rom combination, it'll run smoothly. I've tested almost every rom in the G2x forums and to me, Hellfire Phoenix with Faux kernel works really well, not buggy at all, very smooth. ^_^

jcbofkc

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas City
Well my wife had the G2x for 4 months. She went thru 6 replacements all under warranty before we decided to give LG and Tmobile the finger. I had the htc g2 and that phone had its own set of issues. So thanks to LG my wife HATES android (Thanks LG) and she got the CrApple iSuck 4S and i got the Samsung Galaxy S II (Samsung Epic Touch 4G) and this phone kills my old G2 and my wifes G2x combined. The SGS2 is the way to go. Zero Lag. Pure Performance. Nice UI. Best Camera. You name it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

I call BS. Just saying. Why? Why do that? A better choice is returning the phone.

jhayton

Jan 20, 2012
Well the OP has already stated that hes tried multiple rom/kernel combos. Hes asking for advice on a replacement device that falls into his budget. he has posted this in the g2x section, so its natural that all us g2x lovers are going to cry foul and ask why and give him other options to try.

While this may be noble is some round about way, it does not entertain his original questions (less the few posts that actually did give opinions for alt devices).

When a device fails to such a degree that the end user is fed up, one can not blame him/her for wanting to jump ship. Help him with question about comparable devices and let him enjoy the android platform.

To the OP, might I suggest taking your OP, copy it and post it in the General Discussion area (http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256) where you can receive input from all manner of device users, and not just us biased G2x owners.
/2 Cents

I cant offer other input to your question as my android device experience is limited being that the G2x was my first droid, and my second was a SGS4G that I had for less then a week before I sent it in to Samsung to be RMA'd due to faulty soft keys.

Reactions: ickster

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
Well the OP has already stated that hes tried multiple rom/kernel combos. Hes asking for advice on a replacement device that falls into his budget. he has posted this in the g2x section, so its natural that all us g2x lovers are going to cry foul and ask why and give him other options to try.

While this may be noble is some round about way, it does not entertain his original questions (less the few posts that actually did give opinions for alt devices).

When a device fails to such a degree that the end user is fed up, one can not blame him/her for wanting to jump ship. Help him with question about comparable devices and let him enjoy the android platform.

To the OP, might I suggest taking your OP, copy it and post it in the General Discussion area (http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=256) where you can receive input from all manner of device users, and not just us biased G2x owners.
/2 Cents

I cant offer other input to your question as my android device experience is limited being that the G2x was my first droid, and my second was a SGS4G that I had for less then a week before I sent it in to Samsung to be RMA'd due to faulty soft keys.

I completely agree.

To the OP, that's why I suggest an HTC phone. It may not have the best hardware, thus you may find the build quality kinda bad, and speaker quality kinda eh. But the software is top notch... Any ROM I flashed on my HTC phones were rock solid. Even stock was perfectly fine.

ickster

Feb 12, 2011
North Texas
Yeah, I have to agree with the OP. I'm about done with this phone as well. Went through mutiple phones before I got a good one. Then had two fumble fingers and got a good one followed by this last one. It sucks. build date 5/20/2011 w/Froyo.Started out fine, even had awesome battery life. Now it's as buggy as any of the others, if not more. Runs hot, reboots, crappy battery life, wifi keeps dropping out.....all of it.
I'm done.
I could probably fight for a replacement, but I'm tired of that as well. Because Tmo replaced this one with a Sensation that I didn't like and sold, I'll have to likely pay for another phone, only real choice IMO is the the Samsung.
And because I won't, in all conscience, sell this without disclosing it's issues, It's pretty much worthless LOL. But I'm actually ahead, because of the free Sensation. But when I think of all the issues, headaches, expense, and endless phonecalls and emailing I've had over this POS since April......
And I will never buy LG again after the total lack of response or support from them. I do like Tmo, even though I've had reception issues at home (maybe the G2X's fault?)
So I'm saving my pennies 'til I can get the Samsung. Anyone wanna buy a G2X?
Buyer beware.

vmartinez39

May 4, 2011
I've had my share of disappointment with this device and I finally am at peace with my phone. Actually also shocked because I am finally able to get the battery life, the stability, and non-random reboots on my phone. Only thing that does drive me mad is the GPS, that **** will never work and don't expect it to. I just carry my G2 and WiFi tether off G2x if my device never locks on gps signal.

Battery Life: Awesome?
Turns out people out here in the post are right. Its the apps. For almost a year I've had loaded apps that simply leech the battery. I got super pissed and started freezing the apps that launched for no reason. Checked running apps and froze anything that shouldn't even be on. Did that until I took out any app that could drain my battery. Also switched from 4G to EDGE. Don't really mind but others will. The result was simply amazing. 15 hours of moderate use and could have gone 20 hours on single charge ON STOCK BATTERY. And using the 3500mah battery, past the 20 hour mark on heavy use.

The battery issue really got me bad because I couldn't get even 8 hours of use on the 3500mah battery with moderate use. That was really crappy so in the end its the apps to blame for the battery. Haven't used the 2.3.3 ROM in a long time so can't compare if the OS simply doesn't manage the apps properly.

Black Screen of DEATH: Still there sometimes

A few weeks ago I used a stock battery that really got hot on normal use, and every time while charging, the phone froze. I have 2 stock batteries. One of them is bad and is causing all the issues with BSOD, and the phone getting very hot. I switched batteries and the issue never came up (Phone Getting HOT that is).

Black screen of death still persists but I believe configuring the device to stay awake when charging is the solution. I had wifi enabled always while charging. I turned it off for some reason, to save on battery, and the BSOD returned. Then there was an option on Applications->Development->Stay Awake. I've really not had a BSOD while charging in a long time. Could be a solution but who knows.

But in the end I get the frustration, and honestly I've had to put alot of time learning this crap and figuring out how to make this phone stable. A phone is suppose to work and if it takes this much effort just for the G2X, or any phone, it should be replaced/scrapped.

The only reason I've hung in so long onto this phone is because almost a year ago I paid retail $500 bucks for this phone and I intend to get my money's worth. I've had ups and downs. But this phone should have been better. And I blame LG for everything. Devs here made this phone OK. Could have been great but whatever. LG sucks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I could not be more fed up with the T-Mo G2x. I just listed it on Craigslist. I have had more problems with this phone that any other Android phone I've owned. I can not find a ROM that makes this phone run smoothly. I do not blame the devs in any way. They are just working with the crap that LG provided them. Anywho...to my question. I was wondering from those of you on T-Mobile what you thought the best replacement would be. I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another year so that is out of the question. I need a contract free phone and it needs to run on T-Mo's 3G or HSPA+ network. Thanks for your advice guys. I appreciate it. BTW...my budget is $350. My initial thoughts were either going back to a Nexus S, or going with an HTC Sensation.

Well... you're missing out.

With pretty much any optimized CM ROM (Eaglesblood, Hellfire Phoenix) and a good kernel, well THE good kernel (trinity) your phone will fly. Could easily compete with the T-Mo Galaxy S2.

But, yeah, the next best thing to a G2x is a Galaxy S2, I think HTC phones are ugly, but if you like them I think T-mo has a few good ones.

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Nexus s

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

Why do people think a single core phone can compete with a dual core phone? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Even with crap software a dual core phone beats a single core phone in sheer processing power, and then with custom ROMs it beats them in everything. Not to mention the G2x has Tegra 2.

I'm happy with my G2x's hardware, and the dev's here are amazing.
    I don't feel that I am missing out in any way shape or form. After having a Nexus S in the past and having used my mom's nexus s since the 4.0.3 update, I can tell you that it blows my G2X out of the water. Single core or not, I will take a bugless interface over what I have been dealing with on the G2X. I am unable to keep it on for more than an hour at a time, at which point I get the sleep of death. This is my 3rd G2X and they have all had the same issues. I have tried every custom rom and every kernel and every combination in between. I am experienced with flashing roms and kernels and can not for the life of me make this phone worth anything. I'm done with it. So yeah...I am considering going back to the Nexus S.

One more thing. Thank you so much to all of the devs for the G2X. Thanks for all of the work that all of you have put in trying to make this phone everything it should be. You are very much appreciated.

I've had my share of disappointment with this device and I finally am at peace with my phone. Actually also shocked because I am finally able to get the battery life, the stability, and non-random reboots on my phone. Only thing that does drive me mad is the GPS, that **** will never work and don't expect it to. I just carry my G2 and WiFi tether off G2x if my device never locks on gps signal.

Battery Life: Awesome?
    Turns out people out here in the post are right. Its the apps. For almost a year I've had loaded apps that simply leech the battery. I got super pissed and started freezing the apps that launched for no reason. Checked running apps and froze anything that shouldn't even be on. Did that until I took out any app that could drain my battery. Also switched from 4G to EDGE. Don't really mind but others will. The result was simply amazing. 15 hours of moderate use and could have gone 20 hours on single charge ON STOCK BATTERY. And using the 3500mah battery, past the 20 hour mark on heavy use.

The battery issue really got me bad because I couldn't get even 8 hours of use on the 3500mah battery with moderate use. That was really crappy so in the end its the apps to blame for the battery. Haven't used the 2.3.3 ROM in a long time so can't compare if the OS simply doesn't manage the apps properly.

Black Screen of DEATH: Still there sometimes

A few weeks ago I used a stock battery that really got hot on normal use, and every time while charging, the phone froze. I have 2 stock batteries. One of them is bad and is causing all the issues with BSOD, and the phone getting very hot. I switched batteries and the issue never came up (Phone Getting HOT that is).

Black screen of death still persists but I believe configuring the device to stay awake when charging is the solution. I had wifi enabled always while charging. I turned it off for some reason, to save on battery, and the BSOD returned. Then there was an option on Applications->Development->Stay Awake. I've really not had a BSOD while charging in a long time. Could be a solution but who knows.

But in the end I get the frustration, and honestly I've had to put alot of time learning this crap and figuring out how to make this phone stable. A phone is suppose to work and if it takes this much effort just for the G2X, or any phone, it should be replaced/scrapped.

The only reason I've hung in so long onto this phone is because almost a year ago I paid retail $500 bucks for this phone and I intend to get my money's worth. I've had ups and downs. But this phone should have been better. And I blame LG for everything. Devs here made this phone OK. Could have been great but whatever. LG sucks
    You try running cm7 with the Trinity kernel?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Shame. My phone is fast and stable. No sleep death, great power, and damn good battery life.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk