Xperia Z vs HTC ONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

benziii

Mar 4, 2010
Lillestrøm
Anyway, on-screen buttons rule and i'd have them over physical capacitive buttons any day of the week

Totally agree on that. Fits with the Z's design too.

Damnit I'm torn. I really want to jump on the bandwagon,

I just hope they make the purple available to us non-carrier buyers soon.

Do anybody here actually have purple unlocked one?

Reactions: DooMLoRD

omersak

Oct 15, 2010

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia Z5
HTC One looks ok, but it still kinda looks like a copy of Blackberry Z10 to me, and even that doesn`t look that good.
Personally I prefer the stilling of Xperia Z, the only thing that kinda puts me off is the talk about the screen. I don`t think anybody can say that the HTC One doesn`t have a brighter and more vibrant screen, but I think that both are good for flagship phones.
Right now I guess I`m leaning towards the Xperia Z, currently I have an HTC Sensation and it`s ok but I wasn`t that happy with it, I didn`t have any of the major problems, except for the death grip issue with wi-fi that seems to have disappeared lately... but the biggest disappointment was the update cycle, the Sensation being still stuck on ICS officially and all the custom JB roms still have lots of bugs, and looking at the level of customization of Sense 5 I don`t think that HTC One will see anything beyond JB 4.2, but it would be a nice surprise if HTC will change their tactics with updates.

What the... The blackberry Z10 is a blatant copy of the Iphone and Android phones. Look at the home screen OS icons etc.

benziii

Mar 4, 2010
Lillestrøm

One says end of march, and the other is pre order.

And it did not really answer my question.
Sorry, it is not my intention to be rude or anything.
I know this is the best place to keep up to date.

My money is getting antzy, I would literally pay someone to hook me up asap!

Maybe I could interest someone with a modestly used lg o3d as thanks if that would be more preferable.
It's just been a backup phone for the last year. almost no use since last april..

Reactions: DooMLoRD

Turb0wned

Oct 31, 2008
Miami
Problem with sony and many other manufactures is that they announce a phone, get people hyped, then don't release the damn thing for 2 months. Sony I think messed up here. My wife wanted this phone bad, now she saw the HTC One and she's having second thought because god knows when we will be able to get it here in the usa or atleast unlocked in purple for a decent price.

Tomatoes8

Jun 10, 2012
Techradar gave the Z a 4.5/5 so unless the HTC One gets a 5/5, you should stick with the Z. Since the GS2 was the only 5/5 phone in years from them, I don't think Sony has much to worry about.

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Let's settle this...

Go to local retailer...

Test out both devices in hand...

Buy the one you are happy with...

Stop felling bad about next best device as whenever any phone is announced/launched the technology is already outdated...

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
Let's settle this...

Go to local retailer...

Stop felling bad about next best device as whenever any phone is announced/launched the technology is already outdated...

I couldn't agree more with this and this is exactly what I did yesterday.

Kylez

Aug 27, 2012
Let's settle this...

Go to local retailer...

agree!!!

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
Sure, the HTC One is better in almost every hardware aspect there.
but think about it another way,
HTC are known for delayed updates, releasing sources very late and of course, needing to void your warranty to unlock the bootloader.
As gorgeous as their phones are, they are not very developer friendly....
I have lost love for HTC

Cookie Ninja

Jan 21, 2010
HTC are known for delayed updates, releasing sources very late and of course, needing to void your warranty to unlock the bootloader.
I have lost love for HTC

+1....!!!!!

dewasathya

Sep 19, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I have lost love for HTC

And not forgot to mention that HTC is like a bully. Try to read HTC's post on the XDA News and you probably regret buying HTC's phone 'cus the late update, Realy (realy) hate AOSP Developers, and not to mention the phones suck in Indonesia (the price ain't cheap and hard to earn it). And now I realy hate HTC when I saw the news about them bringing AOSP developer to the court.

Sent from my Galaxy SL Stock & Root.

xerox89

Feb 11, 2011
Do anyone notice that HTC cam is always under perform even tho they keep refreshing the marketing term ?
External image chip , now overpixel .

Wh1techapel

Feb 25, 2013
Oxford
I Was looking forward to the XZ for some time before release, but when I started looking into the HTC One, my mind was changed.

The on-screen buttons are their permanently even when playing games, which reduces the screen size to that of the One. The call quality is reportedly muffled and also when looking at it in the shop it certainly looks nice, but the quality wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

The One beats it in EVERY aspect apart from being water resistant, I've never EVER dropped a phone in water or had the need to text in the rain so not something I need.

Also the Screen on the One is noticeably superior. I know if you've bought the XZ you'll defend it to the hilt, It is a great phone but the HTC One is just that bit better.

Rashkae

Nov 10, 2008
Singapore
I Was looking forward to the XZ for some time before release, but when I started looking into the HTC One, my mind was changed.

The on-screen buttons are their permanently even when playing games, which reduces the screen size to that of the One. The call quality is reportedly muffled and also when looking at it in the shop it certainly looks nice, but the quality wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

The One beats it in EVERY aspect apart from being water resistant, I've never EVER dropped a phone in water or had the need to text in the rain so not something I need.

Also the Screen on the One is noticeably superior. I know if you've bought the XZ you'll defend it to the hilt, It is a great phone but the HTC One is just that bit better.

Please don't talk about something you obviously have no clue about. :)

FYI, call quality on the XZ is excellent. Far better than the P.O.S. HTC phones I've previously owned.

Wh1techapel

Feb 25, 2013
Oxford
Please don't talk about something you obviously have no clue about. :)

FYI, call quality on the XZ is excellent. Far better than the P.O.S. HTC phones I've previously owned.

If the only people that posted on this forum knew what they were talking about, then there'd be no need for anyone to post.

However, as I said it's clear you'd defend the unit no matter how unhappy you are with what's released after it.

EDIT: Reading this back I sound like I'm trolling, which isn't my intention. The XZ is clearly a great phone, just not AS good as the one (for me), however someone with different needs to myself (like you) would prefer the XZ.

Rashkae

Nov 10, 2008
Singapore
If the only people that posted on this forum knew what they were talking about, then there'd be no need for anyone to post.

However, as I said it's clear you'd defend the unit no matter how unhappy you are with what's released after it.

EDIT: Reading this back I sound like I'm trolling, which isn't my intention. The XZ is clearly a great phone, just not AS good as the one (for me), however someone with different needs to myself (like you) would prefer the XZ.

Yup, different strokes for different folks. I need the waterproofing a lot more than the HTC "Boomsound"...

zzcool

Nov 27, 2012
Gothenburg
Let's settle this...

Go to local retailer...

reminds me of pc building

what it used to be

wait are phones what pc building pc parts used to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why don't you add the Galaxy S 4 to the topic?

These topic's are so stupid, technology nowadays is going so fast... Each device you're fighting for these days will be outdated in a few months.
    Just choose a device and live with it until you can get a newer one.

SO WHAT'S THE POINT!??
    Let's settle this...

Go to local retailer...

I know for a fact that when htc releases a device with a different camera; It doesnt get the dev support. I own an evo 3d and not one aosp rom exists which can operate the 3d cam.
    So i don't think that the one will fare any better. HTC will not release the drivers for its "UltraPixel" camera anytime soon that is if it does release it at all. So those who don't like the new sense are pretty much doomed as I don't see an aosp rom which can run the new cam hardware anytime soon.
    XZ on the other hand will be pretty much flexible when custom roms are considered.
    But hey - you keep telling yourself whatever you need to in order to justify purchasing the Z.

Isn't that what you're doing about buying HTC ? Different people, different needs. For me HTC One is one ugly phone - i don't like it, and I wouldn't buy it, don't get me wrong - it's a good design, but for my personal taste it looks very very bad.

Now, do I post in every HTC thread about it ? No. You too shouldn't do that.

Buy HTC, be happy about it and don't care about what other people buy. If we're buying "outdated" devices with "inferior screen" etc, it's our problem - we definitely have our reasons to do so. Don't behave like some kind of HTC's witness trying to convert people...
    So, like I wrote, I'm really torn now. 3 great phones to choose from... each very different, each with unique strenghts and weaknesses (perhaps only potential, like One's radio and development concerns). If I were certain there won't be any problems with the One's radio, wireless and GPS
    reception and had resons to think it would get good Dev support, I think it's almost my dream phone... but as things are, I'm really not sure.

If anyone can give any advice, I'd very much appreciate it!

Don't take it as bashing/praising. I'll share my views on all those devices with you:

Note 2:

Had it, loved it, started to hate it, sold it. Why ? Touchwiz... it's terrible. CM10.1 for Note is even worse, and I don't think it'll get any better as CM team seems to be moving away from Exynos platform. It's a great success that devs were able to make it so good and usable with such crappy support from Samsung, but overall it's a terrible experience.

Now, why I started to hate it ? Because previously I owned S2 and Note 1. Both shared the same superbrick issue which destroyed the device when you performed factory reset on stock ICS. Ok, I can deal with that. But later on they discovered Exynos Bug that allowed any app to access root without asking and throw all your personal info into space - even if your device is not rooted ( sic! )

But what does it have to do with Note 2 ? Well, everything because as it turned out, Note 2 has the same bug which "evolved" to something even worse, named "sudden death issue" affecting all S3 and Note 2 devices with 0xF1 emmc chips. This time your phone might just die at a completely random point - wave goodbye to your device if you were on CM or even rooted. Oh, and Exynos Bug was still there too, so the sudden death issue wouldn't feel alone. That broke my love for Samsung. I don't care how great the device is - i don't want to worry about which eMMC my device has, the faulty one or the good one ? Will it die on my randomly or not ? I need to rely on my phone, and since Samsung did NOTHING to fix their last 3-4 devices' problems ( Galaxy Tab was also affected ), I'm moving away to another brand.

Want more about faulty eMMC chips ? Remember Galaxy Nexus ? Google issued an official paper to Samsung telling them to use the right chips in Nexus devices. Samsung knew very well about faulty ones, they used them knowingly ( i'd even say intentionally, but that's not for me to judge ) in all their new devices - probably hoping it "won't be a big deal" as they had to do something with them.

At least now S3 and Note 2 are "fixed" but head over to Samsung threads. It's still happening, not as much, but still, with or without Samsung's fix, so I'm not sure they were 100% successful.

Lastly, there were two more points that convinced me to break up with Samsung: Note 2's size started to be a nuissance, and I became really tired of its quality. For god's sake, it's a 500 pounds phone that squeks and screeches everytime i squeeze it.

Remember that those are only negatives, and many of them are my personal opinion/taste. Note 2 has many amazing features, but you can find those in every review.

Xperia Z:

So far I'm in love with it. It's an amazing change after Samsung devices, build quality is great, performance is great, stock ROM is great - i don't even consider flashing CM on it right now - i don't think i need to. There's no ugly touchwiz to run away from, i can perfectly live with Sony's stock rom. It's a nice change to be back in Sony's world - real difference between Sony and Samsung in this case.

Ok, but let's focus on negatives:

Covers. Unless you're going to buy yourself a BT headset ( i highly recommend that ) you might get a little annoyed quickly.
    Battery life is a bit of a let down after using Note 2. It's not bad - it's very good, but having been using Note 1 and 2 i'm used to better battery life. With XZ's size, it's impossible to match it, so I just have to adjust.
    Screen. This is not a negative point. The screen is absolutely amazing - but after years ( and 3 devices ) using AMOLED screen, you need to make the transition again. Don't expect such vibrant colours as on AMOLED screen. And viewing angles can't match it too - but that's just LCD vs AMOLED stuff.

I think that's all right now. If I find anything more - I'll let you know.

HTC One:

Not much here as I haven't used it. What I can tell you after using iPod, iPhone and iPad: aluminum body is a bad idea. It looks great, but it's so easy to scratch... and scratches look terrible on aluminum body because they turn grey/black. Why ? Because it's anodized aluminum, only the surface is this beautiful shiny-silver. If you scratch it, you'll be left with darkened spots and lines of "normal" aluminum from below the surface which becomes patinated when in contact with air/sweat ( the anodized surface prevents that, but it's not anodized below it ).

Also, we have no idea how antennas will perform. Also, removing those white ( yes, they're white on aluminum ) grease smudges from aluminum body is a nightmare... I know what i'm saying - cleaning iPad or my old iMac was a nightmare. Oh, and don't even dream of dropping it - you'll get non-fixable dent in aluminum body.

Other things ? Based on my previous HTC devices ( Desire, Legend ), i simply don't like Sense. Haven's used the new one, but still... and batteries on HTC always disappointed me ( Desire, Legend, HD7 ). There's also no sd-card slot which is an instant deal breaker for me. And the camera doesn't seem to be good at all - but those were just first test shots, so let's just wait for proper tests.

Still, HTC has better CPU - but does it improve your user experience over XZ/Note 2 ? I don't think so.

Last point: dev support. Look it up on XDA. It has never been that great...

Hope it'll help at least a bit. Bear in mind that those are my personal opinions based on my preferences so you might not agree with me. Best to just test those devices yourself :)