[Q] Which OEM's offer official bootloader unlocks?

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 4333722

Other than HTC, which OEMs offer official bootloader unlocks,including their devices that are subsidized by AT&T? I'm hoping LG might, as the G2 looks really nice, and the price recently dropped because of the Flex.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Other than HTC, which OEMs offer official bootloader unlocks,including their devices that are subsidized by AT&T? I'm hoping LG might, as the G2 looks really nice, and the price recently dropped because of the Flex.

Yea, ATT isn't real big on letting manufacturers have their phones get unlocked like that. If it is really that big of a concern, you would be best served to buy an international version of the phone you like or get a developer edition model. Alternatively, most Tmo versions of phones that ATT has locked down are not for their network and once unlocked, have all the bands to work on ATT properly with 2g/3g/4g/LTE where as many ATT phones have part of Tmo bands locked down.

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston

Right now the G2 doesn't have a unlocked bootloader instead it uses Loki flash, LG has a up and down record of unlocked bootloaders. Sony devices the days usually always have the ability to unlock the bootloader. If you really want a great device for ATT with an easy official unlockable bootloader the Nexus 5 is an excellent choice. As previously mentioned ATT has ratcheted up it's stance on locking bootloader, so keep that in mind as well when buying devices, I second looking at developer edition or unlocked edition devices if you can swing it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

D

Deleted member 4333722

Right now the G2 doesn't have a unlocked bootloader instead it uses Loki flash, LG has a up and down record of unlocked bootloaders. Sony devices the days usually always have the ability to unlock the bootloader. If you really want a great device for ATT with an easy official unlockable bootloader the Nexus 5 is an excellent choice. As previously mentioned ATT has ratcheted up it's stance on locking bootloader, so keep that in mind as well when buying devices, I second looking at developer edition or unlocked edition devices if you can swing it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I know they have a terrible history with this. The thing is, I want to take advantage of the fact that I have 15 months left on my contract and I can upgrade already on Next and pay close to the same as what I'm paying now. I don't care much for HTC, but I can't stand OEM skins, and I already have a Moto X Dev Edition and a Nexus 4, and if HTC is the only one I can flash, that's the brand I'll be going with. Tell me more about Loki Flash...

shimp208

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Boston
I know they have a terrible history with this. The thing is, I want to take advantage of the fact that I have 15 months left on my contract and I can upgrade already on Next and pay close to the same as what I'm paying now. I don't care much for HTC, but I can't stand OEM skins, and I already have a Moto X Dev Edition and a Nexus 4, and if HTC is the only one I can flash, that's the brand I'll be going with. Tell me more about Loki Flash...

Essentially Loki Flash is was of injecting boot, recovery.img's without tripping the secure boot of devices. More info on how it works and what it is can be found in the README for the Loki source code found here.

Top Liked Posts