"No Sim Card" notification

Search This thread

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
Anybody know how to get rid of this "no Sim card" notification? Sprint's GS3 version doesn't use a SIM card.

But no matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of it. Even tried flashing different ROMs, and restoring previous nandroids that I backed up before I started getting that notification. No dice. What's the deal?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349464478125.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349464478125.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 961
Last edited:

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
94 views, and not one other person has dealt with this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
I've not seen that, you did everything I would've done to get rid of it

I just don't get it. I even backed up my internal sd card and did a factory data reset, and it still won't go away!!

All I know is that this happened right after I used the wipe cache/dalvik cache feature in Rom Tool Box pro (which I hadn't used before) because I was about to flash a new Rom. And after it booted up again, it just appeared and hasn't gone away. :(

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
I can't believe that no one has an answer for this.

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
There is an option under mobile connections in the cm10 builds where you choose where your connection data lies. There is a NV and SIM option. This may be the cause.

Thank you! I'm going to try that! I've just trying to figure this out on TW, so I'm going to give that a go.

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
There is an option under mobile connections in the cm10 builds where you choose where your connection data lies. There is a NV and SIM option. This may be the cause.

Actually, that did nothing. I saw the setting. But it doesn't really do anything in terms of getting rid of that "no sim card" notification. Sigh.

I just can't understand why I'm getting that blasted notification for no sim card. I'm on Sprint for crying out loud!

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
So I've been trying for the last 24+ hours or so to remove this "no sim card notification. And I just flashed a leaked TW JB rom, LIG. And this one doesn't show a constant "no sim" notification. But it does show it in the lock screen. Ha! Jeez, this is driving me nutz.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349539325393.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349539325393.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 477

Tb0n3

Mar 26, 2008
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 2 XL
Another possibility is that you're flashing a rewritten T-mobile rom and they never figured out the sim card issue themselves. The earlier leaked TW JB rom was leaked from a sim using carrier. Try downloading the LIF one or a previous ICS version. That or just go straight CM10 if you don't have 4G in your area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Speedin07si

Nov 15, 2011
Colonial Heights,VA
Sprint phones do have SIM cards iirc... they are just built in and internal and are not ment to be accessible... can you make any phone calls? Other then 911.

Sent from Pluto.

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
Ok, so I completely wiped my phone, unrooted, returned to stock, did the hands free activation code, and still, when i rebooted the phone, it still has the "no sim card" notification. I'm completely fresh out of ideas.

I even spent two hours on the phone with Sprint techs and deactivated and reactivated my phone. They gave me all kinds of codes and proceedures to troubleshoot the phone, and still, no avail.

This is hands down, the weirdest thing I've ever encountered on an Android CDMA device. Makes no sense what so ever. Im just going to have to live with that pesky "no sim card" notification with every rom I boot. At least until I switch to Tmo. I'm done with CDMA.

I only found one other guy with this same problem, I pm'd him, but hasn't responded yet. I hope no one else geta this problem. It's just been the biggest headache.

*The pic below is after I unrooted and returned to stock. And still, there you'll see that fabulous "no sim" notification that I can't clear out* (sigh, sadness)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349546011730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349546011730.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 430

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
Another possibility is that you're flashing a rewritten T-mobile rom and they never figured out the sim card issue themselves. The earlier leaked TW JB rom was leaked from a sim using carrier. Try downloading the LIF one or a previous ICS version. That or just go straight CM10 if you don't have 4G in your area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

The only one i was on was Freegs3, i think it's L8 based, when it happened. Used the clear cache/dalvik cache feature in Rom Toolbox Pro, and when it re-booted, that's when it appeared.

Last edited:

drewmonge

Jan 2, 2012
Sprint phones do have SIM cards iirc... they are just built in and internal and are not ment to be accessible... can you make any phone calls? Other then 911.

Sent from Pluto.

Yeah, i can make calls and everything just fine. But it's just that "no sim" notification that won't go away.

Speedin07si

Nov 15, 2011
Colonial Heights,VA
I wouldn't stand for that... I'd return to stock and return it for a new one.

Sent from Pluto.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Even if you don't have insurance, this should qualify and fall under the 1 year manufactures warranty.

Sent from Pluto.

Reactions: drewmonge

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anybody know how to get rid of this "no Sim card" notification? Sprint's GS3 version doesn't use a SIM card.

But no matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of it. Even tried flashing different ROMs, and restoring previous nandroids that I backed up before I started getting that notification. No dice. What's the deal?

This is a very simple fix the ROM you flashed caused a problem with the build prop file and corrupted it cause your phone to do this if you want to fix it just download something like root explorer then go into /system and go into build prop file and change the like in the picture to say #Do not show sim notification and this fixed it for me

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
    Possible Fix

DELETED POST - out of order

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

So I got to thinking maybe a factory reset could work to remove the "No SIM" message from the notification bar. I have used the following steps and have even reloaded a factory ROM then customer and still rolling without a "No SIM" message.

Because usually the factory ROM image is not up-to-date. And with as easy as this phone is to unroot and root, I figured I would mess around. This is a bit lengthy, but wanted anyone to be able to clearly walk the steps I have had with my phone, in the event someone might be able to easily figure out when and where and how to fix without so many steps. So here's what I did since I got my phone (5 days ago):

// I apologies if this seems a little distorted, this took me a few hours after a full day of work and family time... little tired while typing this up, but it's fresh in my mind\\

- Received phone, got Ghost Armor on screen, activated at Sprint store, first boot of the phone and left running until I went home.

- Shut phone off, inserted 16GB SD Card previously in HTC Evo4G that was now wiped clean

(already did all my research for rooting/ROMs last week)

- Followed Easy Root instructions

- Downloaded bakedbean-6 ROM

- Wanted CWM Touch Recovery, found THIS instructional thread and followed instructions.

- Customized ROM completely

- Made Backup of ROM to /SDCard (not my external 16GB SD Card I put in)

- Ran Android Encryption feature of the phone overnight on a full charge and plugged into power

- Woke up next morning (luckily before late for work) and had error message "Encryption Unsuccessful"

- Hit REBOOT button on screen, entered look back to previous error message (3 times)

- Went into recovery and tried doing a wipe of /data and /sdcard, which were unable to be mounted

- After much Googling found that the previous unmounted partitions get locked due to the encryption process, only way to fix would be to unroot and do a factory reset with the factory recovery

- Found THIS forum thread

- Unrooted successfully, but lost my previous backedup ROM (but THANK YOU to having my Evo4G Titanium Backup files still)

- Rebooted to same "Encryption Unsuccessful" message

- Rebooted into factory recovery and performed "wipe data/factory reset"

(Here's a YouTube video on doing a "factory reset", start at 1:40 to see what I did)

- Rebooted into stock ROM, had annoying "No SIM" message in notification bar.

- Walked through Easy Root instructions again.

- Loaded bakedbean-6 ROM

- Still had same annoying "No SIM" message

- Got phone into working order again, hiding "No SIM" traces as best as possible.

- Also, in any ROM factory or custom, ICCID shows up as "unknown"

[ Skipped through two days ]

-Decided today would be the day to unroot and see if I can fix this "No SIM" issue

- Backed up my ROM to /extSDCard

- Followed Easy Unroot instructions

- rebooted into factory recovery, did 'wipe data/factory reset'

- booted into unrooted/factory Sprint ROM

(To note here, I did not log into my GMail account or load any software on the phone)

- Was prompted, shortly after phone loaded finished initial setup, to install an update (no idea what was being updated)

- Ran update and let phone reboot itself to install and reboot back into ROM

- Decided to do updates, first went into Settings-->System Update-->Update Samsung Software, first update was 39MB

- Rebooted, "No SIM" message still there, went back into same update place, second update was 81MB

- Rebooted, message gone, did not receive a "No SIM" message or icon in notification bar

- Rebooted, still message did not come up. Checked Settings--> About Phone-->Status-->ICCID, a long number was populated here (FINALLY)

- Rebooted into factory recovery, wiped data/factory reset, rebooted into phone back into a "fresh" first boot of factory software.

- Walked through initial setup (still not setting up GMail account), noticing that there was not a "No SIM" icon in the notification bar, nor a message in the drop down notification bar either.

- Followed Easy Root instructions, though this time using the clockworkmod.TAR.md5 file from CWM Touch Recovery thread

- Did 'wipe data/factory reset' (3 times) and 'wipe cache partition' (3 times) in my CWM Touch recovery

- Loaded LiquidSmooth ROM, loaded GAPPS, loaded RC9 build.prop fix for RC9

(I was going with a different flavor because of some options the ROM had over the other, all personal and I do not think reflect anything with bakedbean-6 and this 'No SIM' issue)

- Booted into ROM, went through initial setup (this time logging into GMail account)...

- In the notification bar, I did not receive an icon or message refering to "No SIM".

- Checked Settings-->About Phone-->Status-->ICCID was populated with the same number as before in the factory ROM.

+ "No SIM" issue solved... seemed that updates actually helped solved this issue :cool:

I wouldn't stand for that... I'd return to stock and return it for a new one.

Sent from Pluto.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Even if you don't have insurance, this should qualify and fall under the 1 year manufactures warranty.

Sent from Pluto.
    Here's the other guy that had the same problem:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=32336226

But no one responded to him. I PM'd him to ask if he ever found a solution. But still has yet respond. Anyways...

You tried everything that i would have tried. If u can, gettin it replaced doesnt sound like a bad idea. I sorry.

Sent from the belly of the b3ast!