[GUIDE] Step by Step ROOT Nexus S via ClockworkMod Recovery image (i9020T only)

Search This thread

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
GRH78
Bootloader v.JK1
Baseband v.JK8

Yes, there are tons of guides out there, and even one click scripts that can ROOT the SNS (Samsung Nexus S) for you, but none of them go into enough detail for any of them to work properly.

Having many android devices working properly via ADB on your computer doesn't automatically guarantees it will see the SNS.

So, before jump to the exiting stuff of ROOTing the SNS, lets cover some basics to actually get you started and make sure you can actually ROOT the SNS, else all is in vain.

MOD EDIT: This guide does not apply to the AT&T/Rogers/Telus variants of the Nexus S (i9020A). For those models, please refer to this guide.

Part 1
  • Download Android SDK release 13 click the file name android-sdk_r13-windows.zip (34 MB) direct from Google, instead of wasting your time jumping through hoops and dodging pop up/flash ADs from those FileSharing places.

Note: from SDK release 14 onward, Google removed the fastboot command, you'll have to maker the fastboot command yourself if you want to use the latest version of the SDK

• Turn Off your SNS
  • Make sure the SNS is connected to the PC via the USB cable
  • Boot the SNS into the Bootloader Interface, by holding Volume UP & Power button
  • bootloaderscreenonsns.jpg

it reads LOCK STATE - LOCKED
  • open Device Manager (or run devmgmt.msc) make sure you don't see this problem (windows failed to identify the SNS and install the correct drivers)
  • android10.png
  • Do a right click and select Update Driver Software
  • Select Brose my computer for driver software
  • point it to where you downloaded the Android SDK (..\android-sdk-windows\google-usb_driver)
  • Make sure to CLICK "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • Then from the list 3 choices select Android Bootloader Interface
  • If it's installed properly it should show up like this (reboot is not required)
  • androidbootloaderinterf.png

NOTE: if you encounter problems like question marks, unknown drivers, or exclamation marks eve after you have installed the drivers, download and try the USBDeview 32/64 to remove and uninstall all the junk USB devices from your computer/registry​

Now that the basic preparations are done, we can finally get to have fun with the SNS & hack away via ADB.exe / FASTBOOT.exe :)

Part 2
  • open a command prompt go to run & type CMD hit enter
  • switch to the directory where you downloaded & unzipped the ..\android-sdk-windows\tools
  • type fastboot oem unlock and hit enter
  • Then you will get this
  • Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
  • meanwhile on the SNS you'll see this screen
  • img0282d.jpg
  • selecting YES will wipe EVERYTHING from the SNS, so make sure you have backed up everything you needed to safe before you continue.
  • use the Volume up/down keys to select and Power key to apply
  • you should see something like this after it's done
  • Code:
                                  ... OKAY [435.433s]
    finished. total time: 435.433s
  • now back on this screen you should read
  • LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED
  • Download the clockwork recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img image, and save it to the ..\android-sdk-windows\tools directory
  • renamed it to recovery.img
  • then type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and hit enter
  • you should get something like this, if not your image is corrupted, download it again
  • Code:
      sending 'recovery' (3980 KB)... OKAY [  0.621s]
                writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.511s]
    finished. total time: 1.132s
  • Then back on the SNS select Power Off (Reboot also works)
  • Power ON the SNS
  • ...meanwhile the SNS is rebooting Download superuser from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=682828
  • choose the Eclair/Froyo version
  • Mount the USB storage
    So all you guys who are having trouble getting root inside the rom, When your in recovery before you flash the superuser.zip file select -- mounts and storage -- then --mount /system -- then flash the .zip file and reboot
  • drag/drop the su-version#-signed.zip file into the root of the internal SD of the SNS
  • Power Off the SNS
  • Boot the SNS into the Bootloader Interface, by holding Volume UP & Power button
  • select Recovery
  • then it should boot into this screen, if not then repeat the steps to download the image
  • img0283w.jpg
  • select install ZIP from sdcard (power button to apply)
  • select choose zip from sdcard (power button to apply)
  • select su-version#-signed.zip file you downloaded earlier, and apply it
  • select yes - install su-version#-signed.zip
  • confirm it says "Install from sdcard complete"
  • select go back
  • select reboot
  • done!
Enjoy your unlocked & rooted phone! :D

Last edited:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
NOTES:

It's normal to lose the recovery after the reboot, the steps to flash the CW recovery needs to be repeated every time you want to access the CW recovery.
This is due the build in protection in 2.3
As some one pointed it out on another topic, the good thing about this is that you'll never lose the stock recovery of 2.3, thus minimizing the chance of a bricked phone.

If you want to the CW recovery to remain permanently, you'll need to rename /etc/install-recovery.sh to something thing else

To simplify things with the Command Line, it's best to copy and paste the contents inside ..\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools to ..\android-sdk-windows\tools
that way you'll have all the necessary files in the same location to prevent errors

MIRROR:
since CW website seems to be down, here's a mirror for the Image file.
download the 7zip attachment, unzip and flash recovery.img (recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img)

Attachments

• recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img.7z
    4 MB · Views: 11,559
Last edited:

lordjone

May 6, 2010
Good guide but i have a question,
didn't you miss the step about renaming the install-recovery.sh script
that reflash recovery if crc is wrong?

sinatosk

Oct 5, 2009
Nice guide.

The only thing that's making me hesitate to do root on my NS is reversing the whole process...

stock recovery for example. I know someone made a backup of it but some people are stating odd results of using that backed up stock recovery... wifi broke, missing apps, mobiles stuck on EDGE...

I'll wait until google releases a firmware that contains everything :p

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
it's fairly simple, the instructions are as simple as this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=884097

and you can choose any stock ROM to flash back

Nice guide.

The only thing that's making me hesitate to do root on my NS is reversing the whole process...

stock recovery for example. I know someone made a backup of it but some people are stating odd results of using that backed up stock recovery... wifi broke, missing apps, mobiles stuck on EDGE...

Reactions: dystopian

Cubfan185

Aug 1, 2010
Alright, just did it successfully. I had a few problems when installing the SDK and using fastboot. The recovery image must have been corrupt a few times for me. I had to take the battery out because it was stuck at the Google screen. My heart skipped a beat at that point, I didn't want to brick anything. Also had to put a required .dll file in the tools directory and the drivers were giving me problems, but got it all figured out. Thanks again.

Edit: Any reason why root required apps are saying they don't have root access?

Last edited:

KidYing

Oct 16, 2009
Will Google definatly release a full restore firmware of the current ROMS, something simular to an HTC RUU, or is it just something we're hoping they'll do?

onicrom

Aug 8, 2010
silly question... which fastboot binary did you use? the one from the htc developer site?

jvblack82

Nov 10, 2008
Great guide, I'm new to the SDK and adb and fastboot so this helped a lot. My phone crashed last night and I had to completely restore it. Biggest upset is I was racing my girlfriend to beat Angry Birds Seasons and now my save games are gone. Along with other app data and all my settings.

So the Nexus S is stock what I root phones to get to. I love the pure Google experience. Never had one completely crap out crash though.

I followed your guide to the tee and got it what I thought would be rooted. When I get to the end though I boot up and the ClockworkMod ROM Manager v3.0.0.2 says "You must root your phone for ROM Manager to function. Superuser was not found at "/system/bin/su" or "/system/xbin/su". Also Superuser app says there is an update available, then tries to install and says it can't. So it puts the update zip on my root of my storage. I boot into CMR and try to install that and it errors saying it's not there. But it is when I look is mass storage mode from my computer.

I boot into clockwork mod recovery just like your guide says the bootloader says unlocked. I don't get it. What did I miss? Only reason I want to root is to use Titanium backup. I really wish google had a better backup system for app data but they don't... yet. So I don't want what happened last night to happen again.

Thanks in advance,
JB
Nexus S, stock rom just want root access for backup.

sinatosk

Oct 5, 2009
NOTES:

It's normal to lose the recovery after the reboot, the steps to flash the CW recovery needs to be repeated every time you want to access the CW recovery.
As some one pointed it out on another topic, the good thing about this is that you'll never lose the stock recovery of 2.3, thus minimizing the chance of a bricked phone.

Hmmm I miss this post. Does this happen with 2.3.1 aswell and root will still be on after reboot?

If so. I'm rooting RIGHT NOW!!!

Thank-you :p

edit: I did some searching and found the answer :p... there is a file at "/etc/install-recovery.sh". that restores your recovery back to stock upon reboot while still retaining root ( 2.3 and 2.3.1 ). As stated previously... you simply re-flash the recovery to get to the recovery again :p

Last edited:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
Hmmm I miss this post. Does this happen with 2.3.1 aswell and root will still be on after reboot?

If so. I'm rooting RIGHT NOW!!!

Thank-you :p

edit: I did some searching and found the answer :p... there is a file at "/etc/install-recovery.sh". that restores your recovery back to stock upon reboot while still retaining root ( 2.3 and 2.3.1 ). As stated previously... you simply re-flash the recovery to get to the recovery again :p

yes, i actually like it this way, it keeps your original safe

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
Titanium Backup and few other apps are why i ROOT the phone as well.

after you fastboot over the CW recovery image and rooted, were you able to install Super User?

there is another trick, you can Install Super User first from Market

then repeat the steps to fastboot the clock work recovery image and get root access

Great guide, I'm new to the SDK and adb and fastboot so this helped a lot. My phone crashed last night and I had to completely restore it. Biggest upset is I was racing my girlfriend to beat Angry Birds Seasons and now my save games are gone. Along with other app data and all my settings.

So the Nexus S is stock what I root phones to get to. I love the pure Google experience. Never had one completely crap out crash though.

I followed your guide to the tee and got it what I thought would be rooted. When I get to the end though I boot up and the ClockworkMod ROM Manager v3.0.0.2 says "You must root your phone for ROM Manager to function. Superuser was not found at "/system/bin/su" or "/system/xbin/su". Also Superuser app says there is an update available, then tries to install and says it can't. So it puts the update zip on my root of my storage. I boot into CMR and try to install that and it errors saying it's not there. But it is when I look is mass storage mode from my computer.

I boot into clockwork mod recovery just like your guide says the bootloader says unlocked. I don't get it. What did I miss? Only reason I want to root is to use Titanium backup. I really wish google had a better backup system for app data but they don't... yet. So I don't want what happened last night to happen again.

Thanks in advance,
JB
Nexus S, stock rom just want root access for backup.

Reactions: jvblack82

knytphal

Nice guide.

If you're running 2.3.1 all you need to do to get back to stock recover is reboot the phone, because /etc/install-recovery.sh runs every boot and checks to see if the recovery is stock or not...if not it flashes it for you. So unless you've renamed the /etc/install-recovery.sh file you can easily get stock recovery.

sinatosk

Oct 5, 2009
If you're running 2.3.1 all you need to do to get back to stock recover is reboot the phone, because /etc/install-recovery.sh runs every boot and checks to see if the recovery is stock or not...if not it flashes it for you. So unless you've renamed the /etc/install-recovery.sh file you can easily get stock recovery.

... yeah I know. Made a post earlier today about it in this thread...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GRH78
    Bootloader v.JK1
    Baseband v.JK8

Yes, there are tons of guides out there, and even one click scripts that can ROOT the SNS (Samsung Nexus S) for you, but none of them go into enough detail for any of them to work properly.

Having many android devices working properly via ADB on your computer doesn't automatically guarantees it will see the SNS.

So, before jump to the exiting stuff of ROOTing the SNS, lets cover some basics to actually get you started and make sure you can actually ROOT the SNS, else all is in vain.

MOD EDIT: This guide does not apply to the AT&T/Rogers/Telus variants of the Nexus S (i9020A). For those models, please refer to this guide.

Part 1
    • Download Android SDK release 13 click the file name android-sdk_r13-windows.zip (34 MB) direct from Google, instead of wasting your time jumping through hoops and dodging pop up/flash ADs from those FileSharing places.

Note: from SDK release 14 onward, Google removed the fastboot command, you'll have to maker the fastboot command yourself if you want to use the latest version of the SDK

• Turn Off your SNS
    • Make sure the SNS is connected to the PC via the USB cable

it reads LOCK STATE - LOCKED
    • open Device Manager (or run devmgmt.msc) make sure you don't see this problem (windows failed to identify the SNS and install the correct drivers)
    • android10.png
    • Do a right click and select Update Driver Software
    • Select Brose my computer for driver software
    • point it to where you downloaded the Android SDK (..\android-sdk-windows\google-usb_driver)
    • Make sure to CLICK "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
    • Then from the list 3 choices select Android Bootloader Interface
    • If it's installed properly it should show up like this (reboot is not required)
    • androidbootloaderinterf.png

NOTE: if you encounter problems like question marks, unknown drivers, or exclamation marks eve after you have installed the drivers, download and try the USBDeview 32/64 to remove and uninstall all the junk USB devices from your computer/registry​

Now that the basic preparations are done, we can finally get to have fun with the SNS & hack away via ADB.exe / FASTBOOT.exe :)

Part 2
    • open a command prompt go to run & type CMD hit enter
    • switch to the directory where you downloaded & unzipped the ..\android-sdk-windows\tools
    • type fastboot oem unlock and hit enter
    • Then you will get this
    • Code:
      fastboot oem unlock
    • meanwhile on the SNS you'll see this screen
    • img0282d.jpg
    • selecting YES will wipe EVERYTHING from the SNS, so make sure you have backed up everything you needed to safe before you continue.
    • use the Volume up/down keys to select and Power key to apply
    • you should see something like this after it's done
    • Code:
                                    ... OKAY [435.433s]
      finished. total time: 435.433s
    • now back on this screen you should read
    • LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED
    • Download the clockwork recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img image, and save it to the ..\android-sdk-windows\tools directory
    • renamed it to recovery.img
    • then type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and hit enter
    • you should get something like this, if not your image is corrupted, download it again
    • Code:
        sending 'recovery' (3980 KB)... OKAY [  0.621s]
                  writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.511s]
      finished. total time: 1.132s
    • Then back on the SNS select Power Off (Reboot also works)
    • Power ON the SNS
    • ...meanwhile the SNS is rebooting Download superuser from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=682828
    • choose the Eclair/Froyo version
    • Mount the USB storage
      So all you guys who are having trouble getting root inside the rom, When your in recovery before you flash the superuser.zip file select -- mounts and storage -- then --mount /system -- then flash the .zip file and reboot
    • drag/drop the su-version#-signed.zip file into the root of the internal SD of the SNS
    • Power Off the SNS
    • select Recovery
    • then it should boot into this screen, if not then repeat the steps to download the image
    • img0283w.jpg
    • select install ZIP from sdcard (power button to apply)
    • select choose zip from sdcard (power button to apply)
    • select su-version#-signed.zip file you downloaded earlier, and apply it
    • select yes - install su-version#-signed.zip
    • confirm it says "Install from sdcard complete"
    • select go back
    • select reboot
    • done!
    Enjoy your unlocked & rooted phone! :D
    NOTES:

If you want to the CW recovery to remain permanently, you'll need to rename /etc/install-recovery.sh to something thing else

To simplify things with the Command Line, it's best to copy and paste the contents inside ..\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools to ..\android-sdk-windows\tools
    that way you'll have all the necessary files in the same location to prevent errors

MIRROR:
    since CW website seems to be down, here's a mirror for the Image file.
    download the 7zip attachment, unzip and flash recovery.img (recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo.img)
    updated to use recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-crespo.img

just make sure it gets renamed to renamed it to recovery.img as mentioned on page 1 in the guide else it hangs
    trouble rooting

I have been following the directions but when I try to update the drivers I did not get the android bootloader interface option. I downloaded the andoird_sdk_r_13_windows file installed and updated both the sdk and the advd managers and it still was not giving me the bootloader option so i looked on other posts and downloaded the Nexus S one click root file that has the drivers in it and attempted to install the drivers but now my phone will not mount to my pc it just charges and I have tried different usb ports but still not able to mount. kind of lost and not sure what to do if anyone can push me in the right direction Id appreciate it.