[Q] Bricked without USB debugging

Search This thread

Tobiscuits

Nov 26, 2013
So, basically, I've done a stupid thing, I attempted to install Cyanogen, forgetting to enable USB debugging, and it didn't go too well, all I can do now is use Clockwork Recovery as there is no ROM on the phone, I'm not sure if there's anyway I can enable USB debugging and flash it via USB, with Odin, but whenever I try to flash via .zip through Clockworkmod Recovery I either get the status 7 error, or if I take steps to get rid of that the installation just aborts, any ideas on what I can do?

There is also a possiblity I installed Clockwork Recovery for the 3G edition, whereas I have the LTE edition of the phone, I'm not sure if that'll have contributed to the downfall of my smartphone adventures

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

proxuser

Jul 2, 2010
www.emexci.com
So, basically, I've done a stupid thing, I attempted to install Cyanogen, forgetting to enable USB debugging, and it didn't go too well, all I can do now is use Clockwork Recovery as there is no ROM on the phone, I'm not sure if there's anyway I can enable USB debugging and flash it via USB, with Odin, but whenever I try to flash via .zip through Clockworkmod Recovery I either get the status 7 error, or if I take steps to get rid of that the installation just aborts, any ideas on what I can do?

There is also a possiblity I installed Clockwork Recovery for the 3G edition, whereas I have the LTE edition of the phone, I'm not sure if that'll have contributed to the downfall of my smartphone adventures

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

hi,

first of all, dont worry for that. its not really a brick.

reboot your device to download mode (press vol-down, home and power buttons)
install philz_touch_5.18.2-i9195.tar.md5 - 7.08 MB via odin and restart to your phone to philz recovery. (press vol-up, home and power button, if you see samsung logo release power button)
then install cm rom and reboot. if you dont have any rom file in your storage, then copy rom zip file to your external sdcard via your pc and put external card again to your phone and reboot recovery and try install your rom from external card. this recovery is for lte variant of s4 mini.

i hope you get your phone working again and tell me if it works ;)

Last edited:

proxuser

Jul 2, 2010
www.emexci.com
There is another solution.

first - get philz recovery zip file for lte variant and extract it. (get it here http://d-h.st/qdn) open updater-script and remove this code and save file.(that installer will not stop because your device is show him you have 3g variant but you have lte one so simply remove this code and save file to your zip)

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "serranolte"
|| getprop("ro.build.product") == "serranolte");

make zip file and copy it to your sdk folder and install it via adb sideload. (google it when you dont know how to install with sideload)

after this you should have right recovery.

then install your rom with sideload and reboot.

Reactions: Tobiscuits

Tobiscuits

Nov 26, 2013
Yeah, that did fix it, I now however have the issue of my Wifi won't turn on and I cannot install things as it states that there isn't enough storage space available, which there is, there is also 4.62 Gb used in my Misc files and nothing is listed as even close to that size, so my phone isn't particularly better off ¬.¬ But thanks for your help

Tobiscuits

Nov 26, 2013
Got all of the problems sorted now, for the storage space thing, I had to remove my external SD card and just go on a formatting blitz after reinstalling Clockworkmod and the wifi required a modded kernel to be installed

Last edited:

Stevoo19

Apr 27, 2019
Hi can someone help me, I have the same issue as Tobiscuits. The link no longer worked but I managed to get the file needed for recovery Odin doesn't see my phone so I can't recover to stock that way I'm guessing USB debugging is off I'm stuck on the Odin mode screen everytime my phone starts. I'm new to this what do I do with the recovery zip I have, it's on my pc atm

IronRoo

Aug 4, 2014
Hi can someone help me, I have the same issue as Tobiscuits. The link no longer worked but I managed to get the file needed for recovery Odin doesn't see my phone so I can't recover to stock that way I'm guessing USB debugging is off I'm stuck on the Odin mode screen everytime my phone starts. I'm new to this what do I do with the recovery zip I have, it's on my pc atm

Have you installed latest Samsung drivers? Or try reinstall/update them, from Samsung website?

(in the past some people had to uninstall the Samsung sync software & it's drivers first if it had already been installed on PC, ie smartswitch/kies)

You must reboot PC between each operation above & check Samsung drivers uninstalled in program list (assuming Windows). Reboot after install as well.

Update to TWRP after fixed.

Stevoo19

Apr 27, 2019
Have you installed latest Samsung drivers? Or try reinstall/update them, from Samsung website?

(in the past some people had to uninstall the Samsung sync software & it's drivers first if it had already been installed on PC, ie smartswitch/kies)

You must reboot PC between each operation above & check Samsung drivers uninstalled in program list (assuming Windows). Reboot after install as well.

Update to TWRP after fixed.

Hi thanks for replying, yes I installed Samsung usb drivers still doesn't recognise my device, I do have the same phone again and that works but that phone doesn't recognise on Odin or pc either maybe it's a cable issue or USB driver issue like you said. I'm pretty new to all this but TWRP is the recovery zip right? When I try factory reset it goes through the motions then nothing happens goes back to Odin mode automatically.i should mention I uninstalled magisk before my phone decided to not boot back up I'm guessing I uninstalled it wrong. I'll try uninstalling the Samsung drivers and reinstalling.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is another solution.

first - get philz recovery zip file for lte variant and extract it. (get it here http://d-h.st/qdn) open updater-script and remove this code and save file.(that installer will not stop because your device is show him you have 3g variant but you have lte one so simply remove this code and save file to your zip)

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "serranolte"
    || getprop("ro.build.product") == "serranolte");

make zip file and copy it to your sdk folder and install it via adb sideload. (google it when you dont know how to install with sideload)

after this you should have right recovery.

then install your rom with sideload and reboot.