Little things 4.4 has that you've always wanted stock

Search This thread

samagon

Jul 28, 2008
Houston
I'll start...

T9 dialer, I noticed the other day I don't have to scroll through a list of thousands of contacts or search names, I can just open the dialer press 726 and Ramiro shows as the contact. Or 666 and Mom is who I see. 262 gets me Amanda. Etc. This is something I've been waiting for Google to implement since I got into android, so fairly exciting.

What else have you guys found?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany
Last check 4.3 and i think even 4.2 had the smart dialer (T9). I guess i don't have "thousands" of contacts in my phone so maybe that's why i didn't really need/use it. :p

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
They have upped the ante massively with voice recognition and particularly voice search with it being in my opinion the killer feature of 4.4. Google now while improved is still an annoying intrusion that I disabled after a day. I disliked it immediately but like to give these things a little time to see if they grow on me. The GEL is an embarrassing failure in my opinion and someone should lose their job for thinking it would be a good idea to fix the search bar on any screen let alone all of them. I know 2 others now with the N5 and we all kicked the launcher to the curb in short order.

One thing that I've seen little talk of is the stock dialer. I'm not actually sure if it's kit Kat or Google? I expected to dislike it but I actually like it and have continued to use it. It has some flaws like not searching the call log but the ability to start typing in the name of a local place and have it's number pop up before you can finish is very useful and if it wasn't for the amazing voice search (which also works in the dialer) I would probably list the dialer as the single best stock feature.

supguise

Mar 12, 2012
Or 666 and Mom is who I see

keanu-reeves-matrix-woah.png

PaRaNoidNeM

Mar 14, 2013
are you sure? my gnex on cm 10.2 doesn't have this feature.

IT's a 4.4 feature for google maps. You Double Click, but on the second click keep your finger on the screen and slide up or down to zoom in or out. it's a neat addition, more convenient to be exact, but nothing to special.

Scared27

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne
IT's a 4.4 feature for google maps. You Double Click, but on the second click keep your finger on the screen and slide up or down to zoom in or out. it's a neat addition, more convenient to be exact, but nothing to special.

It's been like that for a while. Not a kit kat thing. Same for the search bar at the top of all homescreens. Been like that for a long time.

sgp77

Aug 25, 2012

Works in Chrome, too. Discovered it by accident....

Top Liked Posts