TF201 Hard brick repaired at 0 cost

Search This thread

phr0zenx

Apr 25, 2012
As i can't reply to the proper thread due to the 10 post limit, i'll have to write it here. After lurking the forums regarding the Failed bootloader error 0x04 issue, i'm pretty much condemned to submitting my TF201 Asus Transformer Prime to Asus to deal with it. I've been given the impression it'd cost over 200/300USD just to get the problem fixed due to a number of post here claiming about the requirement of sending the whole motherboard in for replacement.

Let me just debunk that, that is totally not true. True asus technical support branches are given tools to easily flash the whole firmware regardless of the "Hard brick" issue. So when i sent in my TF201 to get it fixed recently, it didn't take them long. Also, because it was still within the warranty period, i did not have to pay anything. However, i was told that it would cost around 25-30 USD for recovery services if it's out of warranty. ;D

So, why am i writing this? After reading the high costs of repairing the device, i was spooked into waiting for some messiah to bring in a solution to the problem. However, after talking to the support over the phone, i found out that i do not need to pay anything if i were to get them to inspect the device. Quotation will then be provided in order to proceed with the repairs. So, i thought to myself, why not? In other words, if you have access to a local asus technical support branch, head down and see what are your options. There's no harm in trying.

Also, a friend found this.
engadget.com/2012/04/24/transformer-prime-team-win-recovery-project/

barryflanagan

Aug 17, 2009
Dublin
barry.flanagan.ie
As i can't reply to the proper thread due to the 10 post limit, i'll have to write it here. After lurking the forums regarding the Failed bootloader error 0x04 issue, i'm pretty much condemned to submitting my TF201 Asus Transformer Prime to Asus to deal with it. I've been given the impression it'd cost over 200/300USD just to get the problem fixed due to a number of post here claiming about the requirement of sending the whole motherboard in for replacement.

You don't mention whether you had unlocked the bootloader or not?

credzba

Apr 23, 2011
brick repair 200$ 12/1/12

You must have been lucky, or perhaps it is the repair location.
I unlocked my tf201, installed clockworks, and bricked it. Would not get past the initial ASUS screen no matter what you did.

After reading your post, I hoped for the best and sent it into the Grapevine TX. repair center.
They sent me a picture of the web page saying ASUS knew it was unlocked, and offered to replace the main board for 200$.

Had they been able to reload the software for 25, I'd have paid, but 200$ is ridiculous, I'll go but a new Nexus.

Just another data point.

Reactions: Doctorjuice

bigbuckin

Jan 27, 2012

Let me just debunk that, that is totally not true. True asus technical support branches are given tools to easily flash the whole firmware regardless of the "Hard brick" issue. So when i sent in my TF201 to get it fixed recently, it didn't take them long. Also, because it was still within the warranty period, i did not have to pay anything. However, i was told that it would cost around 25-30 USD for recovery services if it's out of warranty. ;D

So, why am i writing this? After reading the high costs of repairing the device, i was spooked into waiting for some messiah to bring in a solution to the problem. However, after talking to the support over the phone, i found out that i do not need to pay anything if i were to get them to inspect the device. Quotation will then be provided in order to proceed with the repairs. So, i thought to myself, why not? In other words, if you have access to a local asus technical support branch, head down and see what are your options. There's no harm in trying.

Which service center did you go to exactly? I have sent mine in for RMA, and they keep trying to tell me they need to replace the motherboard. I know a decent bit about these things, and im pretty sure they are just getting rid of inventory and making more money (my quote was $180). I keep asking them if reflashing the firmware is a possibility, and they totally dodge the question. If I could contact the service center in Georgia (which is the nearest to me) and verify the 30 dollar charge, I would happily pay that price to fix the tablet!

UrbanDroid

Jan 8, 2012
Auburn, AL
Somebody needs to get on this quick. I've heard that this is the way they treat bricked primes in Europe. Just flash a new bootloader; service charge of a few dollars and out the door. Wish someone knew somebody inside Asus tech centers somewhere that could get us that software.

Sent from my large and in charge GN2 using Forum Runner

motorom

May 12, 2010
bootloader

any updates to this? Flash bootloader service anywhere?

My transformer is at the Asus service center right now with hard brick "error unrecoverable bootloader (0x0000000)" I'm waiting for their call. I hope they can fix it. The main problem is that the bootloader is unlocked and of course I don't have any warranty. If they ask more than $100 for a software problem I'll be very disappointed in Asus. I'll write the result later.

gadiator

Feb 10, 2009
My transformer is at the Asus service center right now with hard brick "error unrecoverable bootloader (0x0000000)" I'm waiting for their call. I hope they can fix it. The main problem is that the bootloader is unlocked and of course I don't have any warranty. If they ask more than $100 for a software problem I'll be very disappointed in Asus. I'll write the result later.
What was the result?

goldenoptic

Jun 23, 2009
(Solved) TF201 Hard Brick

Thank God! I found this post it fixed my Transformer Prime I hard bricked it Saturday night trying out a kit kat rom that didn't take I didn't have my JB CyanogemMod zip with me so I tried to restore a back up no go. I tried everything then I found this post I had never tried to fastboot -i 0x0b05 erase misc check this out hope it helps someone else Thank You Jesus!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2179759&page=2

If this helps click on this link for free 15 gb of cloud storage plus an additional 5gb just for signing up
https://copy.com?r=2TgwBI

Last edited:

goldenoptic

Jun 23, 2009
(Solved) TF201 Hard Brick

Asus is lying for something that is obviously a software issue and bilking $200 to $300 dollars out of people. I finally found a forum that had one or two steps I hadn't tried and it worked. They wanted me to create a RMA for $300 for something that only takes a download a 32 bit OS and fastboot to fix below is the life line that saved my Prime repost on any sights that don't have this it works. Thank God

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2179759&page=2

I unlocked my tf201, installed clockworks, and bricked it. Would not get past the initial ASUS screen no matter what you did.

After reading your post, I hoped for the best and sent it into the Grapevine TX. repair center.
They sent me a picture of the web page saying ASUS knew it was unlocked, and offered to replace the main board for 200$.

Had they been able to reload the software for 25, I'd have paid, but 200$ is ridiculous, I'll go but a new Nexus.

Just another data point.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

brick repair 200$ 12/1/12

Just another data point.