Lost my Z1, so then i bought a....

Search This thread

stealthj

Jan 16, 2008
Silicon Valley, California
A few weeks ago, i misplaced my Z1 in a public shopping mall table... i think...

...anyways, I'm on T-Mobile USA.
When I first got the phone in September, T-Mobile offered me insurance on the phone.
I went ahead and did a claim, and they said they couldn't get me the z1, and that the closest thing they have ( in price and what not) would be a Note 3.
They sent that to me, they unlocked it, and i sold it...
Dilemma began.... buy another z1? wait for Z1s? Could not do that because their bootloaders are not unlock-able

So what did I do? I saved some money and went ahead with a white 32gb nexus 5 while a friend of mine went ahead and actually bought the Z1s yesterday , and HERE are my first impressions of the differences between the two....

Nexus 5 over the Z1(c6903 and z1s):

Brighter, better screen with better viewing angles
Stock android software
Smaller size, fits easier in hand
Optical image stabilization (opinion)
Easier to root, hack etc.but then again its a nexus and it SHOULD have that
Lighter than the Z1
Messaging app on Z1 STILL does not implement group MMS, but you could always use hangouts ( not a big deal for some)

Sony Z1 over Nexus 5:

Z1 Has a premium feel to it, it feels like you are holding an expensive phone, at least when compared to the nexus 5
Z1 has a bigger battery, I was able to go through a full day of HEAVY usage with it, cannot do this with the Nexus
Z1 is waterproof, dustproof and you can use the camera underwater
Z1 has a microSD card slot in addition to the 16GB (or 32gb for the Z1s) of internal storage
the Z1s has a STRONGER ANTENNA THAN THE NEXUS 5, therefore allowing for better and faster data coverage and better voice quality (On T-Mobile USA)
the Z1 is faster even though the NExus is clocked at a higher speed, tested this with browser tests, game load times etc...

How do i know this? I placed the Z1S side by side with my Nexus 5, verified that they were connected to the same tower on LTE, and di some tests...

the Nexus 5 gave me 2 bars of signal, while the Z1s had Full bars, speedtest.net San Jose,CA gave Z1 ~23megabits down , Nexus 5 around 12 megabits down. Same server, phones side by side.
That part made me think about the decision I made. I Knew about all the other pros and cons of getting the Nexus, and I knew the Z1 kills it in benchmarks and what not but that does not really matter to me

The cellular reception part bothers me. I've always considered the nexus 5 to be a "different" phone, not worse than the Z1.

I can now say that the Z1 is overall a better phone.
Its faster, snappier, and feeds more power to its antenna I'm guessing?

Now i Will stick with my Nexus until the next sony flagship

Don't lose your Z1. If you do, buy another one.

Hanozy

Oct 15, 2011
Sweden
A few weeks ago, i misplaced my Z1 in a public shopping mall table... i think...

When I first got the phone in September, T-Mobile offered me insurance on the phone.
I went ahead and did a claim, and they said they couldn't get me the z1, and that the closest thing they have ( in price and what not) would be a Note 3.
Dilemma began.... buy another z1? wait for Z1s? Could not do that because their bootloaders are not unlock-able

So what did I do? I saved some money and went ahead with a white 32gb nexus 5 while a friend of mine went ahead and actually bought the Z1s yesterday , and HERE are my first impressions of the differences between the two....

Stock android software
Lighter than the Z1
Messaging app on Z1 STILL does not implement group MMS, but you could always use hangouts ( not a big deal for some)

Sony Z1 over Nexus 5:

Z1 Has a premium feel to it, it feels like you are holding an expensive phone, at least when compared to the nexus 5
Z1 has a bigger battery, I was able to go through a full day of HEAVY usage with it, cannot do this with the Nexus
Z1 has a microSD card slot in addition to the 16GB (or 32gb for the Z1s) of internal storage
the Z1s has a STRONGER ANTENNA THAN THE NEXUS 5, therefore allowing for better and faster data coverage and better voice quality (On T-Mobile USA)
the Z1 is faster even though the NExus is clocked at a higher speed, tested this with browser tests, game load times etc...

How do i know this? I placed the Z1S side by side with my Nexus 5, verified that they were connected to the same tower on LTE, and di some tests...

the Nexus 5 gave me 2 bars of signal, while the Z1s had Full bars, speedtest.net San Jose,CA gave Z1 ~23megabits down , Nexus 5 around 12 megabits down. Same server, phones side by side.
That part made me think about the decision I made. I Knew about all the other pros and cons of getting the Nexus, and I knew the Z1 kills it in benchmarks and what not but that does not really matter to me

The cellular reception part bothers me. I've always considered the nexus 5 to be a "different" phone, not worse than the Z1.

Lesson learnt, always go for the Z1.

Skickat från min C6903 via Tapatalk

Reactions: satvik7star

AK4TAY7BEN

Dec 16, 2012
I have a nokia lumia 521 but I can't choose between the z1s or N5. I want to tweak my phone but cell reception is very important for me because where I live the reception sucks.

AK4TAY7BEN

Dec 16, 2012
Hopefully if enough people buy the Z1s, development will speed up. Feel free to ask me any differences between the two

Well the thing is I'm building a new computer and would like to get into development and theming myself. I know the nexus 5 is a great phone for developers but I would also like the phone to be practical for everyday use. I wish I could just get both... Anyways is the reception on the z1s that much better than on the n5? On my 521 it takes forever to send picture messages and to receive them.

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
Can you get actual db differences between the.and post here?would really like to see some hard numbers on signal vs bars.

Sent from my C6916 using xda app-developers app

sruba209

Nov 24, 2012
bangalore

Stock android software
Lighter than the Z1

Sony Z1 over Nexus 5:

Lovely research.... deserves a thanks... Brought a Z1 :)

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
I can testified to this, I've put my GS4 and z1s side by side. On my GS4 I only get one bar LTE and on my Z1s I get three bar LTE in my store where the signal sux.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Stock android software
    Lighter than the Z1

Sony Z1 over Nexus 5:

Stock android software
    Lighter than the Z1

Sony Z1 over Nexus 5:

Lesson learnt, always go for the Z1.

Skickat från min C6903 via Tapatalk
    I have a nokia lumia 521 but I can't choose between the z1s or N5. I want to tweak my phone but cell reception is very important for me because where I live the reception sucks.
    Hopefully if enough people buy the Z1s, development will speed up. Feel free to ask me any differences between the two
    Yup, signal and battery.... sucks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app