Time Warner Cable app for ICS (Fixed for Rooted Users)

Search This thread

scm_crash

Feb 19, 2011
Los Angeles
First, I want to thank everyone involved in making this work for rooted phones.

Now, my little rant:

I don't like Time Warner. I'm sure most of us don't and we're forced to use them because they have a geographic monopoly. Of course, their cable box is the absolute worst. I preferred my parent's U-Verse boxes and while I hate AT&T more than Time Warner, given the opportunity I would switch to U-Verse.

Now Time Warner gives you the ability to watch Live TV. But, like others have mentioned, there's virtually no point to having Live TV on your phone at home when you have a TV connected to a higher quality stream. Of course, there is the "crapper" scenario, but I just pause the TV while I'm on the crapper. Not like I'm missing anything.

Time Warner continuously strives to suck more and more. There is no end to their suckiness. They provide sub-par HD service, sub-par internet service, and sub-par customer service. They even gave me a DVR box that's so old it doesn't have 1080p support.

::rant off::

I can't get this app to work at all, but I realized it won't benefit me in any way. I have a 50" screen in my living room and I'm picking up a 46" for my bedroom, so I can't think of where having TV on my phone inside my house would be useful.

But I wanted to mention for the developers (hope this helps):

When I try to log in, I have to turn my WiFi off first so it can authenticate, then when I want to hit the live TV button, I have to turn the WiFi on again. However, for whatever reason my phone just goes unresponsive for about 10 seconds before Android tells me that the app isn't responding and asks me to wait or close. If I keep the WiFi off and try to use the TV it tells me I need to be on the home network.

AndyMan386

Sep 4, 2008
I am running the app on my rooted 4g Xoom running peter alfonsos ics rom.

Never have I seen the rooted error, on either version of the app.

However, here is my situation. I have roadrunner for internet, and directv for cable. My parents however have roadrunner and twc cable. So I log in as them, it sees their dvr but won't work with my roadrunner. So until a tweak, it has to be the same wifi in the same house.

Haven't tried it over on their wifi yet.

Can't wait to get this working off of the home network

droidxrooting

Jan 23, 2011
You have to be using wifi in the house which has twc subscription. They have some kind of authentication for that. Currently this app works only with wifi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium App

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
Good thread, but i agree with other people.

I want to be able to watch Fox News at my office on my phone.
Not while im at home on the crapper. LOL

Not only that, but when i am at home i DONT get to watch local programming on the device.

colbyrainey

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas City
Can anyone share with me how they configured their SSH tunnel to allow this to work over mobile data? I have a rooted stock rom SGS3 and am stuck at the point where my SSH Tunnel app says "no route to host" when I try to connect to my home IP address from my phone. Any ideas?

colbyrainey

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas City
Got live tv to work on a non-home wifi connection!

1. Installed copssh on my home pc.
2. Made an exception in my firewall for an ssh port.
3. Enabled port forwarding on my home. router and pointed it to my pc's local ip address.
4. Downloaded ssh tunnel on my phone.
5. Enable the connection.
6. Profit.

Note that it doesn't work over mobile data, but only other wifi connections; I haven't had any luck tricking the phone into thinking is 4g connection is wifi...

Sent from my rooted T-Mo SGS3

bennettg

Nov 11, 2010
It was editing the build prop and taking out the test-keys that did the trick. Once that is done the regular market app works.

It still doesn't work well. It plays for a few seconds and then tells me "we are unable to present this channel at this time"
Thanks

Team420

Jul 19, 2011
I install this and get the "you must upgrade this app to continie using... blah blah blah"

Did i miss something?

Speed core 1.2.7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWC just released the app that will allow you to stream the live TV shows from your phone. I got really excited to watch Game of Thrones.

But when I try to launch the app. It says it does not run on rooted device. WTF?

What is the difference between rooted or unrooted device when it comes to TWC app?

I tried to unroot with root keeper to run the app with no luck.

Any suggestions or workaround to get it working?

Update: Thanks to b00sted now rooted users can benefit from Time Warner App

Here is the link to fix : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24975697

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium App
    Time Warner? Really?
    Cool glad we figured out what the main issue was. Now to see how to get it to allow watching live TV on mobile, or even another wifi network that isn't home network.

I see it in the coding, but not sure at all what you should comment out to make it bypass that :(

just keep tossing stuff at me to try. I am more than happy to hack away at it :)
    i dont think it will work even if we delete the if statement

last ditch attempt,

make sure ur super user apk is named "Superuser.apk" in both the .smali and your phone

in \com.TWCableTV-1\smali\com\TWCableTV\androidphone\a\a.smali

change line 104 to const/4 v0, 0x1
    change line 95 to const/4 v0, 0x0

i noticed that this block of code looks like a try and catch block and maybe a simple 1 true and 0 false will work.

/4 means 4 bits

When you press the live tv button a method is called to check if your systemfile has superuser.apk, the method has to return a value. The way i see it is that it returns either a 1 or 0. 1 means that your rooted, exits the app and 0 means your not lets you watch live tv

the way i set it up ,instead of it returning true(0x1) it will return false(0x0) and if its false it will return true.......so this means if you have Superuser.apk you can watch tv and if you don't then you can't.
    I can confirm this on Epic 4g touch (rooted)