[APP] Dell Venue FM Radio App Request *SOLVED*

Search This thread

MJW

Feb 20, 2011
Sussex, NJ
I don't think the Venue has a built-in FM radio. I have tried several apps, including one or two that are supposed to work with the Streak 5, and have never had any success.

Reactions: prasad12ka4

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
The Venue uses a Broadcom BCM4329, which has:

• Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
  • FM Radio (recieve and transmit)

Unfortunately, since android doesnt have a standardized method of interfacing with the radip: there's simply no support at the driver level.

The Streak 5 has limited radio support as there was a hack that enabled it, but the S5 uses the BCM4325.
All other dell devices use the BCM4329 and only the SPro has support for it.

It might be possible to hack the Streak Pro's support back onto the V (as they both run GB and use the same chip),
I intend to attempt to hackport the SPro's rom to the S5, and perhaps to the V in the summer.
But I have no idea if it'll work, much less getting the radio to work.

Officially, the SPro is the first dell device to officially recieve fm radio support.

Reactions: changkho1908

prasad12ka4

• Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

Unfortunately, since android doesnt have a standardized method of interfacing with the radip: there's simply no support at the driver level.

The Streak 5 has limited radio support as there was a hack that enabled it, but the S5 uses the BCM4325.

It might be possible to hack the Streak Pro's support back onto the V (as they both run GB and use the same chip),
I intend to attempt to hackport the SPro's rom to the S5, and perhaps to the V in the summer.

Officially, the SPro is the first dell device to officially recieve fm radio support.

I found this somewhere
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvn.fulltechreview.com%2F2012%2F04%2Ftat-ca-ve-dell-venue-root-up-rom-cai.html&act=url

MJW

Feb 20, 2011
Sussex, NJ

I finally took the time to look at this, and the link provided provides a working FM Radio app. Go figure. It works, for the most part. The link is to the English translation of a Vietnamese page. There is a link to FM Radio for Dell Venue, which is a rar file on mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/?ob6ot26eey5m7dh). The Google Translate thing screws up the link, so just use the one I posted. Inside the rar is two apk's and a file called fm_hcitool. I installed the one called 20110824SFR-MM.apk (not the one called Streak Radio) and it turned out to be Spirit FM - the free version. I set the the audio method to fm_hcitool the band to European (I live in Germany) and the radio worked. I could only get it to come out of the phone not the headphones, but it was better than nothing. It requires BT being active, but it will turn that on itself. I am running CM7 (when I tried earlier, I was still stock Froyo, before the GB Rom's were available.)

Update - download the updated Spirit FM from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1059296. I still can't get it to go through the headphones, but other than that it works.

Last edited:

prasad12ka4

I finally took the time to look at this, and the link provided provides a working FM Radio app. Go figure. It works, for the most part. The link is to the English translation of a Vietnamese page. There is a link to FM Radio for Dell Venue, which is a rar file on mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/?ob6ot26eey5m7dh). The Google Translate thing screws up the link, so just use the one I posted. Inside the rar is two apk's and a file called fm_hcitool. I installed the one called 20110824SFR-MM.apk (not the one called Streak Radio) and it turned out to be Spirit FM - the free version. I set the the audio method to fm_hcitool the band to European (I live in Germany) and the radio worked. I could only get it to come out of the phone not the headphones, but it was better than nothing. It requires BT being active, but it will turn that on itself. I am running CM7 (when I tried earlier, I was still stock Froyo, before the GB Rom's were available.)

Update - download the updated Spirit FM from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1059296. I still can't get it to go through the headphones, but other than that it works.

I tried the above on Stock Android
Nothing worked
All I want to know is how "fm_hcitool" works or how to set it?

I think you need a rooted venue for the above

MJW

Feb 20, 2011
Sussex, NJ
I tried the above on Stock Android
Nothing worked
All I want to know is how "fm_hcitool" works or how to set it?

I think you need a rooted venue for the above

Nothing worked when I tried on my stock rooted venue either. It works now under CM7 though. I really have no idea what the fm_hcitool file does. I saw the file in the rar file, and took a guess when I configured Spirit FM. I only copied the Spirit FM apk over to the venue too, not the fm_hcitool file. Maybe it will work fully with that on the phone, I see the Streak guys got their radio working by putting it in the /system/bin folder and setting the correct permissions. Maybe I will try that later and see if it changes anything.

prasad12ka4

nguyen_vh

Dec 31, 2011
Ha Noi
It's the same as what I posted earlier. It works on CM7, except I can not get the sound to come out of the headphones, only the speaker.

I've done it before. It's great.
And the wonderful thing is you can listen to music when the radio is on and a call is in progress :D

The phone call uses the small phone speaker.
The muzick player uses the loud speaker.
And the radio ( spirit FM ) uses the earphone.
And.... They work at the same time together :)

By using Spirit FM, you can control the output sound.
You can choose where the sound will be play ( headphone or loudspeaker ) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: prasad12ka4

prasad12ka4

And the wonderful thing is you can listen to music when the radio is on and a call is in progress :D

so as per your information radio can be heard on headset and speaker at same time?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think the Venue has a built-in FM radio. I have tried several apps, including one or two that are supposed to work with the Streak 5, and have never had any success.

• Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n
    • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

DELL VENUE CAN USE RADIO OFFLINE :)
    SEE THE POST HERE.
    it's a vietnamese post. so use the gooogle translate to readit :)
    Its easy to do.
    You only have to root your venue and copy a file which was included in the post "D

http://www.tinhte.vn/threads/899475/#post-11429760
    It's the same as what I posted earlier. It works on CM7, except I can not get the sound to come out of the headphones, only the speaker.