Phone will not boot Please Help

Search This thread

123Rebals

Mar 22, 2008
Ok here is the problem. Phone is a brand new AT&T phone I purchased off of Ebay about two weeks ago.

Off of Ebay, I purchased one of the USB 3 in 1 splitters that you can plug into the phone. It allows you to connect your phone to a charger while also using the headphones.

I plugged it into my phone and then pluged in my car charger into the adapter. The left light on the phone immediately blinked red once and then continued to blink blue on the right light really fast. I sensed something was wrong and immediately unplugged the phone from the converter. It was plugged in for less than 3 seconds.

Now here is my problem. The phone will not power on. I have tried everything. Soft reset, hard reset, removing the battery, plugging the phone into a wall charger without a battery. Nothing !#$!@%@#$%^

I called AT&T and they were extremely nice, but politely said there was nothing they could do since I was not the original purchaser of the phone.

Does anyone have suggestions on 1) What might fix the phone or 2) Is there a warranty on the phone from HTC or 3) a phone number where I might be able to send the phone to get it fixed. 4) Can recommend a cheap phone to drop my SIM into until I can get this one fixed

I really do not want to waste $400 on a new phone.

123Rebals

Mar 22, 2008
No such luck for me

Once I took out my battery the first time, the red light does not even come on any more. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Nghiem

Were you able to use that phone for any minute since you've purchased or it was DOA? How was the phone before you plug the 3-in-1? If everything went smooth b4 you play w/ 3-in-1 then I think the 3-in-1 kill your phone mother board.

a. Try to contact ebay seller for exchange.
b. If you're living in USA, buy a prepaid phone for dirty cheap price ('bout $20); plug in your SIM, then you're good to go. Don't know if you're t-mob or at&t subcriber, make sure pick the the right one or you have to deal w/ unlock problem.
c. You may want to contact HTC USA for repair but not warranty exchange because at&t take care the warranty/technical issues for tilt.
d. If you want to recoup $$$ by re-sell the death tilt, leave me a private message.

123Rebals

Mar 22, 2008
I love me an AT&T Tech rep

On the advice of the AT&T phone customer support, I took my phone back to the local AT&T service center this morning.

The tech took one look at it and said "OH the red light of death" She asked me if I had a receipt and I told her no that I purchased it online. She then typed a little asked for my phone number and then went to the back for about 10 minutes. When she returned she handed me a new phone already set up ready to go.

I was sooooooo relieved. As a former Verizon customer, they would have never taken care of the customer like the two AT&T reps I dealt with did. Thank you AT&T

New Phone #$!@#$!@ Yeah!!!!!!

I was still not sure which caused the problem -the 3 way adapter or the phone charger that the guy I purchased the phone sent me. I thought it had to be the adapter. Feeling lucky, I plugged in the car charger and the red light came on. In a milli-second I yanked the phone out and my phone shut down.

Panic. I slowly hit the power button while lifting up a huge prayer. It booted up. Hugh sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I plugged the adapter into my computer USB and the phone and was prepared to yank it out as well. Nothing. Phone works fine.

Car charger is now in the trash. I am convinced that the RLOD is a power/charging issue. Something is happening during this process and the phone gets fried

cushcalc

On the advice of the AT&T phone customer support, I took my phone back to the local AT&T service center this morning.

The tech took one look at it and said "OH the red light of death" She asked me if I had a receipt and I told her no that I purchased it online. She then typed a little asked for my phone number and then went to the back for about 10 minutes. When she returned she handed me a new phone already set up ready to go.

I was sooooooo relieved. As a former Verizon customer, they would have never taken care of the customer like the two AT&T reps I dealt with did. Thank you AT&T

New Phone #$!@#$!@ Yeah!!!!!!

I was still not sure which caused the problem -the 3 way adapter or the phone charger that the guy I purchased the phone sent me. I thought it had to be the adapter. Feeling lucky, I plugged in the car charger and the red light came on. In a milli-second I yanked the phone out and my phone shut down.

Panic. I slowly hit the power button while lifting up a huge prayer. It booted up. Hugh sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I plugged the adapter into my computer USB and the phone and was prepared to yank it out as well. Nothing. Phone works fine.

Car charger is now in the trash. I am convinced that the RLOD is a power/charging issue. Something is happening during this process and the phone gets fried

Wow, you really lucked out with AT&T there!

I am totally with you on the RLOD problem - my first phone was replaced because of that. I have taken extreme care to only use chargers that have the proper ratings. I think that the dual-purpose HTC USB connector may be part of the problem because sometimes when I sync, it loses connection, then gains it back again, if I even gently move the unit a few inches. I think some USB connectors fit tighter in the port, but I am very worried about the quality and reliability of that port. I have taken extra care every time I plug in and remove a cable, and yet this is still a niggling concern. I don't want to have to go thru another return, but I may before my 1 year warranty is up.