[APP][LAUNCHER] TasKarou Launcher Overlay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ne0fhyk

Aug 6, 2010
Virginia
Tired of moving your fingers up/down your tablet to switch applications? Try out TasKarou!

TasKarou is a multitasking launcher overlay.

Taking inspiration from the 'Quick Controls' feature in the android browser, TasKarou provides a multitasking layer on top of a launcher on tablets.

By swiping anywhere on the left or right edge of your tablet screen, you can activate TasKarou's UI.
It gives you access to a quick, smooth, and intuitive interface to facilitate app launch, transition, and management for the user

The user interface brings a more responsive, and enjoyable level of interaction to your tablet.

Notes:
To use TasKarou, set it as the default home launcher, and from TasKarou's settings, select the actual home launcher you want to overlay.
TasKarou user interface is then triggered by swiping from either the left of right edge of your tablet screen, while still allowing access to the overlaid home launcher through the home button.

The app is also available in the android market.

Attachments

• device-2012-11-05-012637.jpg
    device-2012-11-05-012637.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,050
  • device-2012-11-05-012759.jpg
    device-2012-11-05-012759.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,896
  • device-2012-11-05-012818.jpg
    device-2012-11-05-012818.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,553
  • device-2012-11-05-012829.jpg
    device-2012-11-05-012829.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,305
  • device-2012-11-05-013400.jpg
    device-2012-11-05-013400.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,218
Last edited:

kendong2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 29, 2009
nice app, but how do i use the browser controls? when im in the browser and put my finger to the side the taskarou menu opens...

ne0fhyk

Aug 6, 2010
Virginia
nice app, but how do i use the browser controls? when im in the browser and put my finger to the side the taskarou menu opens...

It's not possible to use both at the same time, since both controls rely on the user touching the edge of the screen.
If you have an idea on how I could get around that issue, I'm all ear.

kendong2

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 29, 2009
It's not possible to use both at the same time, since both controls rely on the user touching the edge of the screen.

that sucks, because it basically makes the browser unusable.

If you have an idea on how I could get around that issue, I'm all ear.

some ideas from the top of my head:

- disable taskarou menu completely when in browser
- disable one side of the screen (permanently or when in browser)
- disable the upper/lower/middle half of the screen (permanently or when in browser)

on another note, the notification HAS to go. at least make it optional.

that being said, i really do like the concept of the app :good: i found myself regularly swiping in from the screen edges when not in browser, and then being disappointed that nothing happened.

ne0fhyk

Aug 6, 2010
Virginia

- disable the upper/lower/middle half of the screen (permanently or when in browser)

that being said, i really do like the concept of the app :good: i found myself regularly swiping in from the screen edges when not in browser, and then being disappointed that nothing happened.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a few other ideas along with the ones you suggest that I will try to integrate, and test in the following days.
In the meantime, I updated TasKarou to also support android phones. I duplicated this thread in the 'Android Apps and Games' section to make it more visible: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1984010

Reactions: mosta_9741

Warrior1975

Jul 19, 2012
I like this. Definitely a nice addition to my current launcher.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Xelstyle

Dec 22, 2011
Definitely slick in some aspects. Can't say I really like it as it messes with my LMT set up and takes up more RAM on top of it.

There's a lot to be done like distinguishing different "hotspots" and designating right side only or left side only. Overall though I really enjoy the transitions and how the menu auto-switches based on which choices you're hovering over. Very intuitive choices too that I agree with about which things go where.

Looking forward to the potential this holds in the future. I may just abandon my LMT setup if done right.
Edit: And of course the ability for users to add/edit the options, potentially switch the color for mere superficial reasons. Something like my screenshot.
yqamu6a3.jpg

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: gr8hairy1
F

FrepA

Really useful. Love the idea, but it does cause a few conflicts with apps that rely on swiping from the sides of the screen. Having said that, when I set the margin to 13 pixels I can use the Dolphin browser (for example) without too many issues by not swiping from the outer edge, but by placing the finger a little more away from the edge and then swiping inwards. Other apps are less forgiving.

What about a button in the notification area, which is visible at all times anyways?

EDIT:

If swiping has the preference, then it would be more logical to align the available programs/tasks to the side from which was swiped. Swiping and selecting can be done with one hand then, regardless of which hand was used to swipe with.

Last edited:

sdfghi

Nov 16, 2011
Nice idea. However on TF101 after getting the quick control moving the finger to one of the options too fast causes the quick controls to disappear. I have to move the thumb really slow in order to select any option. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon:fingers-crossed:.

mosta_9741

Mar 28, 2012
Cairo
Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Lite
ppl get over it, the man is trying to make ur life simpler, so if u don't like some stuff about the app then tell him your opinions in a decent way so he can make a proper development for the app instead of trashing it, otherwise f*** off

Dovidhalevi

Jun 26, 2012
I like this!

1. I only see it from the right edge in portrait.

2. Might have a user selected area(s) for its swipe. This would allow those with conflicts to fix them. There is a similar app on Play which just gives a row running/recent apps icons which is not a bad interface. I found its use of the bottom obtrusive.

3. The home key does not go home in the base browser (I am using Trebuchet on a CM10).

4. There is a difference between "running" and "recent" (exited, cached, and still available.) !!

Long press of home gives a vertically tiled thumbnail view of both.

Taskarou shows only icons of running apps, not recent.

Taskarou should show both, either in two panes or in one with some distinction?, i.e. frame around one or the other. I sort of like having the thumbnails and they could be tiled or cascaded. If cascaded, should be focus-able, if tiled, scroll larger view like the app list. Best eliminated the number of apps option or make that for the pane (but that would be scroll-able for more). Cascading the main webOS motif. Flick down to kill?

F

FrepA

ppl get over it, the man is trying to make ur life simpler, so if u don't like some stuff about the app then tell him your opinions in a decent way so he can make a proper development for the app instead of trashing it, otherwise f*** off

First of all, as far as I can see, no one is trashing his app. So maybe lower your tone a bit and at least pretend to be able to communicate in a proper way.instead of telling people to "F-off".

The developer probably appreciates the feedback as he responds to it. Feedback (be it positive or negative) is valuable for both him and the app he works on. The end product can benefit from any kind of feedback as it points out flaws and strong points, and it can give the developer some different perspectives and experiences from different users and from different devices.

The day a developer stops listening to his/her targeted market is the day the product will begin its downfall.

360porcento

Dec 4, 2011
Hey man, I just noticed that you dont have a video demo on google play... would you like one? I can do some switches with a background music... may I do it and you decide after if use it or not?:D

Reactions: ddlooping

gr8hairy1

Nov 8, 2010
Michigan - Thumb
Was having issues on my Nexus 7 running SmoothRom 4.1.2. Updated to 4.2 and no more disappearing quick controls as soon as my finger leaves the border. To get them to stay I had to leave my finger there for at least 1.5 seconds. Now all is well. Really liking it. I look forward to extended and customizable menus

Update:
Scratch that. Conflict was gesture control. Had it set to consume events in starting zone. So a touch on the edge first went to gesture control. Just an iD10t error.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tired of moving your fingers up/down your tablet to switch applications? Try out TasKarou!

TasKarou is a multitasking launcher overlay.

Taking inspiration from the 'Quick Controls' feature in the android browser, TasKarou provides a multitasking layer on top of a launcher on tablets.

By swiping anywhere on the left or right edge of your tablet screen, you can activate TasKarou's UI.
    It gives you access to a quick, smooth, and intuitive interface to facilitate app launch, transition, and management for the user

The user interface brings a more responsive, and enjoyable level of interaction to your tablet.

Notes:
    To use TasKarou, set it as the default home launcher, and from TasKarou's settings, select the actual home launcher you want to overlay.
    TasKarou user interface is then triggered by swiping from either the left of right edge of your tablet screen, while still allowing access to the overlaid home launcher through the home button.

The app is also available in the android market.
    I like this!

1. I only see it from the right edge in portrait.

2. Might have a user selected area(s) for its swipe. This would allow those with conflicts to fix them. There is a similar app on Play which just gives a row running/recent apps icons which is not a bad interface. I found its use of the bottom obtrusive.

3. The home key does not go home in the base browser (I am using Trebuchet on a CM10).

4. There is a difference between "running" and "recent" (exited, cached, and still available.) !!

Long press of home gives a vertically tiled thumbnail view of both.

Taskarou shows only icons of running apps, not recent.

Taskarou should show both, either in two panes or in one with some distinction?, i.e. frame around one or the other. I sort of like having the thumbnails and they could be tiled or cascaded. If cascaded, should be focus-able, if tiled, scroll larger view like the app list. Best eliminated the number of apps option or make that for the pane (but that would be scroll-able for more). Cascading the main webOS motif. Flick down to kill?

Do you remember the app on play store you are referring to? The current UI is only a first draft, and I am looking for inspiration on where to take it next.

Regarding the home button, could you access the app setting, and check that the correct home launcher is selected.

Actually TasKarou shows the recent apps, and specify whether there are running or not. In the 'recent app' view, you can identify an app is running when it has a small blue dot underneath its name. If it has no dot, then it's only recent, and not running.
    The android system only keeps a small number of app running at all time. If I were to show the running apps, they would rarely go over 5 for current devices (ram <= 1GB)

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a few other ideas along with the ones you suggest that I will try to integrate, and test in the following days.
    In the meantime, I updated TasKarou to also support android phones. I duplicated this thread in the 'Android Apps and Games' section to make it more visible: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1984010
    Definitely slick in some aspects. Can't say I really like it as it messes with my LMT set up and takes up more RAM on top of it.

There's a lot to be done like distinguishing different "hotspots" and designating right side only or left side only. Overall though I really enjoy the transitions and how the menu auto-switches based on which choices you're hovering over. Very intuitive choices too that I agree with about which things go where.

Looking forward to the potential this holds in the future. I may just abandon my LMT setup if done right.
    Edit: And of course the ability for users to add/edit the options, potentially switch the color for mere superficial reasons. Something like my screenshot.
    yqamu6a3.jpg

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    I would loved one, that'd be greatly appreciated... thanks! (i am the op)

Cool
    Video is going to be here http://youtu.be/bOS8miODY2g

• The music is copyright free
    • I took my intro off
    • I disabled the ads on that video

Hope you like it and people give me some feedback:D