Who actually likes their nexus 10

Search This thread

jimh425

Dec 18, 2012
I like mine and have had reboots and freezes sometimes. I'm hoping a software update will make it better.

I've asked around and the other alternatives hang as well. My wifi is a lot better than my wife's ipad, and most of the other issues have been mentioned for other brands/models of tablets.

I do have light bleed, but not to the extent that it bothers me. I agree that the software could be better, but I guess Google and Samsung don't believe in testing or at least good testing. :) For sure, Apple doesn't. I guess it doesn't matter because we buy them any way.

jellydroid13

Oct 15, 2011
I have to admit I"m only on day 2 of ownership so that may skew some things, but I absolutely adore mine. Its fast, the screen is amazing, and the build quality is quite good. Its easily the best tablet I've ever owned in every single category except battery life, and even there its not bad at all.

Do I have light bleed? Yes. However, I've gone through absolute hell with warranty repairs trying to get my previous HP Touchpad's light bleed fixed which eventually resulted in them cracking the screen and my successfully suing them in small claims court (For the crack which they claimed was my fault and warranty voiding, not the light bleed). Following that, I went through four Transformer Infinities, of which three had light bleed. Its just a defect common in IPS/PLS displays, through the three tablets I've owned (all of different manufactures) I've learned its completely unrealistic to expect a perfect one. If its not an absolutely horrible amount, live with it. If you cant, get an iPad or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the creaking back plastic? Yes. Every tablet made of plastic is going to have some problems. The speakers on the touchpad are notorious for cracking spontaneously. The Note 10.1 is so thin you can actually see it flex. With devices this big made of plastic, its unrealistic to not expect some sort of cheap feel. The Nexus 10 has it pretty good compared to some of the other tablets, so live with it if you can. If you cant, get a metal tablet or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the thermal throttling? I dont know yet. But realize you're running a 1.7Ghz processor in something slightly thicker than a ball point pen. Look in ANY desktop or laptop computer of equivalent speed (yes, I know x86 and ARM are not directly comparable, but go with it for this) and you'll find a massive heatsink and fan. The Nexus 10 does not have a fan because nobody would buy a tablet with such, and the heatsink is quite thin to keep the dimensions down. You still have one of the fastest tablets on the market. Think of the 1.7Ghz not as a top sustainable speed, but like the "Turboboost" mode on modern Intel i3/5/7 CPUs where it'll ramp up to that speed to complete a task as quickly as possible and then dial back to something more easily sustainable. I'll admit that Google should add something to Android where if it knows a game is running it limits its top speed to prevent this very throttling, but that's on Android and not the device itself. Throttle the CPU back yourself, live with it, or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

TL;DR: This is a good tablet computer. Like all tablet computers, or like anything really, you shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.

Perfectly said! I was going to reply with my reasoning but Jotokun here summed it up perfectly.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
Do I have the thermal throttling? I dont know yet. But realize you're running a 1.7Ghz processor in something slightly thicker than a ball point pen. Look in ANY desktop or laptop computer of equivalent speed (yes, I know x86 and ARM are not directly comparable, but go with it for this) and you'll find a massive heatsink and fan. The Nexus 10 does not have a fan because nobody would buy a tablet with such, and the heatsink is quite thin to keep the dimensions down. You still have one of the fastest tablets on the market. Think of the 1.7Ghz not as a top sustainable speed, but like the "Turboboost" mode on modern Intel i3/5/7 CPUs where it'll ramp up to that speed to complete a task as quickly as possible and then dial back to something more easily sustainable. I'll admit that Google should add something to Android where if it knows a game is running it limits its top speed to prevent this very throttling, but that's on Android and not the device itself. Throttle the CPU back yourself, live with it, or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.
There's slightly weaker processors on other tablets that don't throttle under "general" (I would consider any kind of gaming general) use. I'm somewhat certain my Nexus 7 didn't even have an issue of throttling (none that was noticeable anyway). Does the iPad 4 throttle? (not that this would be easy to find out regardless)

What's the point in having a 1.7GHz processor, if you can't use 1.7GHz for extended periods of time? 1GHz is what the device ramps up to on touch (interactive gov) and a game I tried worked fine at 1GHz (well, it was smooth anyway; really wish game developers would put FPS counters in games...).

It would be almost like me advertising a CPU for having 5GHz, but the part I left out is you can only use the 5GHz frequency for 1 minute, and after that minute, your clock frequency will drop. Would you buy a processor without question that mentions that? I guess a non-technical person might look at that and see the high frequency and buy it regardless, but a stable, non-changing frequency is better for performance.

I do realize that there is no heatsink on the chip itself, but I would think throttling to only occur under extreme conditions (sitting in the desert somewhere with a heater pointed at the N10 back and trying to run a game at 1.7GHz) or when overclocking. In other words, it should be something a normal user shouldn't ever experience.

My graphics card is advertised to have a speed of 950MHz on the core clock. It keeps a 950MHz on the core clock through general use and gaming. Therefore, it is meeting expectation. Taking off the heatsink on my GPU would cause temperatures to reach critical levels, and cause the clock speed to drop to 450MHz. This is an extreme situation, and is in no way something that a normal user should consider doing.

TLDR: Your not getting the 1.7GHz of performance Google is advertising for an actual "useful" period of time, and if you buy the Nexus 10 and expect to, your going to be disappointed (for now anyway).

Edit: It should also be noted that there is no temperature sensor for the processor. A user reportedly did tests by having the CPU at a cold temperature, and throttling still occurred. Temperatures are generated based on an algorithm, that is based on voltage, frequency, load, and time (I think). In other words, if you put a giant heatsink on the processor and/or pour liquid nitrogen all over it, you'll still throttle.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like my Nexus 10 tablet :) Just knowing it won't reach "full" potential (currently) is a bit frustrating...

Last edited:

ZanshinG1

Apr 21, 2009
San Diego
wahtod.org
TLDR: Your not getting the 1.7GHz of performance Google is advertising for an actual "useful" period of time, and if you buy the Nexus 10 and expect to, your going to be disappointed (for now anyway).

Is there any conclusive evidence that this is the case in every Nexus 10 out there and not just in people running a custom kernel?

For the record, I can play NFS:MW for hours without a single frame drop, stock.

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
Is there any conclusive evidence that this is the case in every Nexus 10 out there and not just in people running a custom kernel?

Running StabilityTest (ROOT optional) for a while (CPU + GPU Test) should show current CPU frequency, and then after a while, show the frequency drop in increments of 100MHz.

There "is" a way to show if the CPU is throttling or not from logcat I believe, I haven't actually noticed though.

On stock (for me anyway, and a few others have also reported this) NFS:MW will play fine, and then framerate will drop, and then go back to normal. I have no idea how to really "prove" FPS values though, other then using a 60FPS camcorder to record a race on your N10, and then judge by eye manually.

Reactions: rsb148 and dust.

dust.

Jul 18, 2011
Running StabilityTest (ROOT optional) for a while (CPU + GPU Test) should show current CPU frequency, and then after a while, show the frequency drop in increments of 100MHz.

There "is" a way to show if the CPU is throttling or not from logcat I believe, I haven't actually noticed though.

On stock (for me anyway, and a few others have also reported this) NFS:MW will play fine, and then framerate will drop, and then go back to normal. I have no idea how to really "prove" FPS values though, other then using a 60FPS camcorder to record a race on your N10, and then judge by eye manually.

This is the case for me right now and I don't think an FPS camcorder is necessary... it's pretty apparent just by looking at the screen that there is a definite drop in framerate.

brockseals

Apr 11, 2012
I'm on the hunt for a nexus 10 at a local staples - the majority of posts I see in here are people *****ing about performance issues and light bleed or other build quality problems. Meanwhile I do see posts about people absolutely in love with the N10 (rightfully so)

The light bleed thread seems like a nightmare - although people who RMA a device 6 times should really get a life and move on to a different product. Is the light bleed really a major issue or should I go ahead and buy one?

Sorry for the junk thread but I didn't see very many threads in here where people are actually giving credit to the N10 and singing praises. hard to guage the "fringe" vs "the average person's experience"[/QUOTE

A guy at the bar the other day looked at the S3 in my hand and said, you should get an iPhone… He said, they just always work. I glanced over and noticed him thumbing his gallery on his i5.
I offered him my standard reply. Apples benefits are its shortcomings…. None of them ever get it I thought as I noticed the blank look on his face trying to interpret my riddle. Clown shoes..

Intelectual curiosity my friend.. Do some research and you will find, as I did myself previously thinking the same thing you were, that there is a world of features and implementations which can be tweaked installed or configured.

Here are some favorites

Rom manager Premium
Rom Toolbox pro
SD Maid Pro
Supersu Pro with the root saver feature to preserve root through OTA
GrooveIP lite. VOip calls from my tablet with caller ID of my cell phone, no celly required just google talk
I prefer Go Launcher HD for tablet as my mail launcher. Still more functionality then JellyBean
RootStickmount
SemperVid links youtube videos sent from nexus to tv via appshare using bubblepnp needs a shim app
Media remote for tablet sony bravia tv control
Bubble UPNP any content to DNLA upnp tv set
Wifi explorer pro
Adobe Flash 11 with sideload of ICS stock web broser for all flash content Crome wont support it.
Storage analyzer
N7 player
Tablet Market
Magfinying glass + Loupe
App Share

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
... Is the light bleed really a major issue or should I go ahead and buy one?
I'd say just buy one, but also take note of exchange times and/or refund periods depending on where you buy from.

Mine came with very slight bleed, in the bottom-right corner, that is only noticeable on a black/dark screen at max brightness, so it's not something I pay any attention to in most cases. Some people seem to have it a lot worse though, and I wouldn't really blame them for finding it disruptive.

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
I love mine. Only the original NES I got when I was 12 rivals this in terms of Christmas gift awesomeness.

However, I did come across something today and I need to decide if I want to live with it or suffer going through getting a replacement. I initially left the screen protector that came with it on the device, but today it started to peel so I pulled it off (love the feel of the screen, by the way). I had noticed a little spec of lint under what I thought was the screen protector but when I removed it the lint remained. It's clearly under the glass itself. One would hardly notice seeing as it's in the top corner of the screen (using Chrome in portrait mode it sits just below the microphone icon to the right of the web address). I just have to decide if I want to go through the time and hassle of getting a replacement. This one was purchased directly through Google.

unglued94ta

May 17, 2012
I'm not too impressed with the (inevitable) thermal throttling that basically makes the advertised 1.7GHz dual-core speed, a lie :/ But, to be fair, most of what I do on the N10 works fine and performs just fine :)

But still... essentially not being able to run a demanding game for too long isn't impressive...

If I had to complain about something. This would be the one and ONLY thing.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda app-developers app

404 ERROR

Jan 8, 2012
I got probably one of the most sensitive SoCs of the batch being unable to fix the thermal throttle issue without underclocking the CPU to about 1.0 ghz. I also got light bleed.

But I play games, watch movies, browse the web, check my email, and almost every other thing you can possibly do on the tablet nearly everyday. Lightbleed? Well everything with an LCD monitor has lightbleed. So I don't know why people are crying about it all the time. It's not a big deal if you're using your tablet right (that is not being weird and viewing a black wallpaper on your Nexus 10 at night). I mean, why would you?

DaveWW00

Oct 15, 2010
love it. no light bleed, super smooth even when playing need for speed and similar games, have a reboot occasionally (once every other week at most) but its boots back up so fast its not too much of an annoyance.

Lim Wee Huat

Apr 17, 2011
Johor Bahru
Loving it. Hoping for the Rasbeanjelly ROM for the N10 though. It's the only Nexus device without Rascarlo's development & support..:(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

dale_cooper

Apr 5, 2010
Well my nexus 10 shipped so hopefully it will be here tomorrow! (if they're shipping from Louisville like the nexus 4 did).

454SS

Aug 20, 2012
I really like mine, bit of light bleed but that's it.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda premium

Rage1ofakind

I'm not too impressed with the (inevitable) thermal throttling that basically makes the advertised 1.7GHz dual-core speed, a lie :/ But, to be fair, most of what I do on the N10 works fine and performs just fine :)

But still... essentially not being able to run a demanding game for too long isn't impressive...

I've used Chrome for a while now on my tablet, with 0 crashes or system lockups, but have heard many stories of people mentioning Chrome crashing and etc. Not really too sure what I might be doing different though...

Don't worry guys, Chrome will get proper updates soon as Google themselves have said that they will be aligning the update versions to the desktop ala Firefox. http://phandroid.com/2012/11/27/chrome-for-android-updates/
It can only get better ;)

Reactions: dajogejr

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
I'm sure I'm in the minority but if it is a want versus a need I'd wait for an update and see if the reboots get sorted. Mine reboots daily without fail. The more I use it the more it reboots. Otherwise it has been fine. I'm just not very tolerant of the reboots.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have to admit I"m only on day 2 of ownership so that may skew some things, but I absolutely adore mine. Its fast, the screen is amazing, and the build quality is quite good. Its easily the best tablet I've ever owned in every single category except battery life, and even there its not bad at all.

Do I have light bleed? Yes. However, I've gone through absolute hell with warranty repairs trying to get my previous HP Touchpad's light bleed fixed which eventually resulted in them cracking the screen and my successfully suing them in small claims court (For the crack which they claimed was my fault and warranty voiding, not the light bleed). Following that, I went through four Transformer Infinities, of which three had light bleed. Its just a defect common in IPS/PLS displays, through the three tablets I've owned (all of different manufactures) I've learned its completely unrealistic to expect a perfect one. If its not an absolutely horrible amount, live with it. If you cant, get an iPad or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

Do I have the creaking back plastic? Yes. Every tablet made of plastic is going to have some problems. The speakers on the touchpad are notorious for cracking spontaneously. The Note 10.1 is so thin you can actually see it flex. With devices this big made of plastic, its unrealistic to not expect some sort of cheap feel. The Nexus 10 has it pretty good compared to some of the other tablets, so live with it if you can. If you cant, get a metal tablet or realize that tablet computers are NOT for you.

TL;DR: This is a good tablet computer. Like all tablet computers, or like anything really, you shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.
    Rma the wife?
    :)

Sent from my Nexus 7
    I really never understood this. What kept the iPad from being a laptop replacement that the Nexus 10 somehow fills? The custimization? The iPad performs better and has more tablet optimized apps. Its not like either truly multitask.

I honestly never believe a tablet replaces a laptop. Even when I had my iPad (which I really shouldn't have sold for this to be honest) it was just an in between device I used for class to take notes on.

I can understand what he's saying perfectly. Things I can do on my N10 I couldn't do on my ipad:

Download something from the internet.
    Assuming I got some crappy download app from the ios app store: Actually DO anything with the download once I have it.
    Plug the device in, copy some stuff onto it without using itunes and converting it to the correct format first. Maybe copy a .doc or PDF even! :eek:
    Torrents
    Emulators
    Flash on the internet
    Share a file between two applications.
    Save an email attachment.

With a little perseverance, there is very little I can't do on my N10 than I can on my laptop.

Also, Android DOES support full-on multitasking. IOS doesn't.
    Best tablet I've ever used. Screen quality is astounding, everything about it as as smooth as butter, web browsing with Ocean works like a dream, gaming on it is great, no lightbleed, and it's been stable as a rock. I literally couldn't be any happier with this tablet.