[TOOL][Updated 5.9.12]viperMOD PrimeTime v4.6 | Auto Root/Unroot/Busybox/CMW Flash!

Search This thread

wrick01

Jun 6, 2011
you sir are a god.

Thank you for your work.

Cant wait to load a rom on this beast.

Smurph82

Mar 17, 2011
Greensboro, NC
With the Prime connected to the usb port.
Open a command prompt and type the following: Not the Primer app just a plain command prompt.
Code:
adb devices

It should come back with some device ID "Long string of number and letters"

biggem001

Sep 20, 2010
With the Prime connected to the usb port.
Open a command prompt and type the following: Not the Primer app just a plain command prompt.
Code:
adb devices

It should come back with some device ID "Long string of number and letters"

only works if he has ADB in environmental variables. if not, adb is not a command unless its in the exact ADB folder

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
"make sure to install the drivers located in the included .zip"

how? I put it on my PC and I just see 3 folders in the Drivers folder but how do you install the drivers and what drivers? I open those folders and see more folders and files but unsure how to "install" them?

Smurph82

Mar 17, 2011
Greensboro, NC
only works if he has ADB in environmental variables. if not, adb is not a command unless its in the exact ADB folder

You are correct I should have said is
Go to the folder where the Primer is extracted
Hold down the Shift key and Right Click in the white space in this open folder NOT ON THE APP
Then select "Open command window here"
Then type "adb devices" without the quotes.
After the adb server starts you should see the device ID of the transformer if not make sure the driver is installed.

Reactions: undercover

djsaad1

Mar 18, 2010
Can someone with root and the .33 firmware, see if they can find the .33 firmware zip file. There should be an ota folder somewhere, where I would guess asus downloads the firmware file to.

Some of us cant get the ota update, so we need the file to update.

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Dude GOOD JOB ROOTING THAT BOOTLOADER

Trollolol. Seriously tho thanks for all the help

DzHbp.png

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
Can someone help me install the drivers that are provided? They are not click and install, I am just not sure what to do with that "drivers for transformer prime" directory.

I am mostly a Mac guy, but I booted up one of my Macs into my XP partition.. but not sure what to do to get the drivers installed.

faxmonkey

Aug 8, 2007
I have not tried this, but this should work since it's what works with other devices.

Connect TP to a USB port.
In Windows, right click on the icon "Computer" and then left click on "Properties"
You should see the TP with a yellow exclamation mark indicating missing drivers.
Right click on it and left click "Update Driver Software." Chose browse computer and point it to where the drivers folder is located.

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
I have not tried this, but this should work since it's what works with other devices.

Connect TP to a USB port.
In Windows, right click on the icon "Computer" and then left click on "Properties"
You should see the TP with a yellow exclamation mark indicating missing drivers.
Right click on it and left click "Update Driver Software." Chose browse computer and point it to where the drivers folder is located.

Okay thanks.. it was not exactly like that, a little more convoluted in having to get it to bypass wanting to use the Wizard and asking for the Xp disk, but you set me on the right path.

For PC tards like me, here is what you need to do to install drivers and get root!!

-right click computer
-opens system properties and select Hardware tab
-select device manager tab
-double click the ? mark next to the Asus android devices
-select driver tab
-update driver
-when wizard opens select "no,not at this time" to bypass wizard wanting XP disk install from a specific location so you can manually choose location
-pick where you put the drivers by navigating to the provided drivers folder and pick Android directory in the drivers folder provided
-let them install
-reboot computer
-attach Asus tablet
-click the viperMod primer tool and viola...

Root *****es!

May 17, 2009
New York
two questions

1. does this method leave any trace of a rooted tablet after you unroot?

2. has anyone tried using this method with firmware .29 then unrooting then installing .33 flawlessly?

Axe-08

Aug 9, 2010
MO
Awesome! Can't wait to get mine tomorrow! Great job! I hope to see a ViperROM coming soon to go with my evo 3d

Sent from my evo 3d running ViperROM redline

krispy521

Jan 4, 2011
Nashua, NH
Thank you Viperboy. I can't wait to try this out. To bad I have to wait til I get home because of the stupid Asus data cable. I miss the micro usb.

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
You are correct I should have said is
Go to the folder where the Primer is extracted
Hold down the Shift key and Right Click in the white space in this open folder NOT ON THE APP
Then select "Open command window here"
Then type "adb devices" without the quotes.
After the adb server starts you should see the device ID of the transformer if not make sure the driver is installed.

I will update the tool to check for the device before it starts. Probably tonight.

Thanks for the great work! I've sent a small token of my appreciation your way.

The paypal goes to jcase, not me. It's his exploit, I just made it easier for you guys. Please donate to him so he can get a Prime. I appreciate the gesture though :)

Can someone with root and the .33 firmware, see if they can find the .33 firmware zip file. There should be an ota folder somewhere, where I would guess asus downloads the firmware file to.

Some of us cant get the ota update, so we need the file to update.

Why cant you update? The ota .zip gets deleted once it installs. If you go to the Prime support page, they have the updates all there. You can update that way.

Dude GOOD JOB ROOTING THAT BOOTLOADER

Trollolol. Seriously tho thanks for all the help

DzHbp.png

Lmao! If no one saw this, Engadget said I cracked the bootloader lol good times this morning!

1. does this method leave any trace of a rooted tablet after you unroot?

2. has anyone tried using this method with firmware .29 then unrooting then installing .33 flawlessly?

Leaves no traces. And no need to uninstall before the OTA or update. Being rooted won't affect that.

can this somehow be used for SONY TABLET S??

no, it wont. Root uses a files specific to this Tablet.

Awesome! Can't wait to get mine tomorrow! Great job! I hope to see a ViperROM coming soon to go with my evo 3d

Sent from my evo 3d running ViperROM redline

You will see viperROM here, don't worry :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

leyvatron

Dec 6, 2007
Los Angeles
viperboy has entered the Transformer Prime building.
I will try this tonight when I get home.

Question Viper:
my auto rotate and auto brightness stop working after the update. Do you think I should wait for a custom ROM and that will fix it or should I return it? Everything was working fine before the update.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    viperROM%252520Banner2.png

primetimev3_1.png
    primetimev3_2.png

primetimev3_3.png
    primetimev3_4.png

PrimeTime Reviews

Tried the other two methods without any success...but this one is the only one that works!!

You have done great work here. Top notch, the crazy thing is, even after trying to root about 6 times and being unsuccessful, I wasn't at all worried when I started PrimeTime.

Everything went great I had lost root during the ICS ota and this fixed everything. Thanks -viperboy-

currentuserjade said:
    Asus should send you a commission check, PrimeTime is the only reason I didn't return the TFP today!!! Thanks again!!!

I do not have a TF101 anymore, but it has been reported that you can root the latest ICS update via option 1. Do so at your own risk! And PLEASE don't flash recovery if you're not on a Prime. That option is ONLY for TF201's!!

THIS WILL NOT ROOT .21 AT THIS TIME!!

Introducing viperMOD PrimeTime! An automated rooting program for your Asus Transformer Prime TF201 (ICS or HC supported) and the Asus Transformer TF101. It is very simple and easy to use with extra features that other root methods don't have. Works on Prime's that lost root with the ICS OTA! Now, here is how it works...

• Download the .zip
    • Plug in your Transformer and make sure to install the drivers located in the included .zip (unless you can already adb into your device, then no need for drivers)
    • Kill Asus Sync and Splashtop! - very important!!
    • Make sure you have NO OTHER ANDROID DEVICES connected via USB!
    • If on Linux, you may need to do "chmod a+x /path/to/primetime/primetime.sh" (no quotes)
    • Run the viperMOD PrimeTime.exe and choose an option.
    • After rooting, download OTA Root Keeper from the Market!
    • ???
    • Profit?

It's as simple as that! I have tested this about 30 times (both rooting and unrooting) and it works just fine! I would HIGHLY recommend downloading Voodoo Root Keeper!! Any issues or questions, please feel free to post here! Enjoy your rooted Prime :D

Things you should NOT do!
    • Try to root with the Transformer in the dock
    • Use a USB extension cable
    • Not download OTA Root Keeper
    • Not follow directions

Updated 5.9.12 - v4.6
    • Replaced OLD CWM recovery with latest TWRP 2.1
    • Fixed sparkym3's donate link

HC root based on NachoRoot by jcase and TeamAndIRC.

ICS root based on TPSparkyRoot by sparkym3.

Latest ICS root based on https://github.com/saurik/mempodroid by Saurik.

Download
    Windows (v4.6): Main Link, Mirror 1, Mirror 2
    Linux/Unix (v4.1 - update coming soon!): http://bit.ly/PrimeTime_v4_1_Linux
    Changelog
    Code:
    [B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 2.22 - v4.5[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*][*]Added Asus Unlock Tool install and automated CWM flash
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.25 - v4.1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Fixed an issue where people couldn't root, even on latest OTA. The problem was a copy of su in /system/bin (or in some cases /system/xbin) that had the wrong permissions. The fix is to remove it, repush, and set correct permissions on it.
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.24 - v4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Support latest OTA (.11) and up! This should (hopefully) stick around a while because of the exploit used!
    [*]Code clean up
    [*][B]TIP:[/B] I would recommend just updating to .11.1 from [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1452933"]here[/URL] (make sure you download the large 300+MB file) and follow those directions and then try rooting. That is what I did and v4 worked on that just fine :)
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.22[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Added Linux/Unix version
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.12 - v3.1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Added a line of code to (hopefully) fix failed rooting. This was likely caused by root failing and not undoing the code (my script has always done that on a failed root, I assume most people who are having problems now did it by hand before?)
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.12 - v3[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Supports ICS root method (as well as alt. root method, used on TF101 and Prime's on HC)
    [*]Better busybox install
    [*]Better su binary and Superuser app removal (checks /data for Superuser if you updated it in Market)
    [*]More code enhancements and cleanup
    [*]Added donate menu [because you guys love us :D]
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.10 - v2[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Name changed to PrimeTime (thanks xda user whose name I need to find!)
    [*]Installs busybox upon rooting
    [*]Fix bug where superuser and binary weren't removed
    [*]Removes superuser.apk from /data/app if updated from Market
    [*]Gives you sysro and sysrw (type that into a terminal/adb shell for quick rw/ro /system)
    [*]Code enhancements and cleanup
    [/LIST]

[B][I][U][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]Updated 1.4 - v1[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/I][/B]
    [list]
    [*]Initial Release
    [/list]

FAQ

Q. Do I need ADB?
    A. Yes, but you don't need to set it up or anything. I have packaged it as part of the .exe and it should work just fine.

Q. Will I not be able to OTA?
    A. No, rooting doesn't affect OTA whatsoever. It's actually reverse - OTA affects root. You will still get update notifications when updates drops, but you WILL loose root if you update. Download Voodoo Root Keeper to keep root if you take the next OTA! The only way rooting would possibly affect an OTA is if, once rooted, you delete the certificates and modify the build.prop (and other things) that don't allow the OTAs to come through.

Q. Will this work on ICS and/or HC?
    A. Yes, it now supports both. The ICS root method may work on HC Prime's and TF101's but I haven't gotten reports on that yet.

Q. The program doesn't do anything! WTF?!
    A. Did you enable USB Debugging like the program told you too? [Settings > Developer Options] I hope you also installed the drivers, since the program told you to do that too. Once that is all set, the program will continue. If you're still having issues, please try this:

Originally Posted by Swiftks
    Here's what I did to resolve the auto driver install by Windows 7, which does not allow for adb interface:

Prime:
    1) Turn USB Debugging ON (Settings -> Developer Options)
    2) Allow installation of non-market apps (Settings -> Security -> Unknown Sources)
    3) Uncheck Launch ASUS Sync (Settings -> Accounts & sync)

PC (Windows 7 x64):
    4) Connect Prime to PC via USB & drivers automatically installed. *Note: Prime is only visible under "Portable Devices" in Device Manager.
    5) Download the ViperMod .zip for Windows from the OP.
    6) In Device Manager, right click on Transformer Prime TF201 (under portable devices), and choose Update Driver Software.
    7) Choose Browse My Computer for Driver Software.
    8) Choose Let Me Pick A List of Device Drivers on My Computer
    9) If you see MTP USB Device on the next screen under ASUS Android MTP Device, choose it and click next. If you don't see this, then maybe try selecting "Have Disk" and pointing to the drivers folder in ViperMod (MTP file perhaps??).
    10) Windows will install driver and and you should now also see a separate tier under Device Manager labeled, ASUS Android Devices -> ASUS Android Composite ADB Interface. If you see this you are good to go and can run the adb vipermod root process.

If you still need help with the driver install, this video tutorial might help.

Q. Why add busybox and Superuser.apk to /system? I don't want that ****!
    A. Sorry I can't please you. Busybox is important because it adds many commands to the device that it doesn't have (it doesn't have basic commands like 'copy' or 'grep' [a type of find]). When you install ROMs on other devices, you have busybox. It will be necessary to things I have coming down the pipe ;) As far as Superuser getting installed to /system, you'd have to go out of your way to uninstall it. In /data, it's easy to uninstall and if you master reset, root wouldn't work because there is no app, upon reboot, that would manage apps requesting root access.
    Updated to v4.5! Installs the Asus Unlock Tool (you will get an error if you already have it installed, ignore it) and automatically flashes CWM! I've had 3 reports of this working, you guys should have no issues!

I do intend to update to v5 and overhaul the entire program. Do things a little bit better and more efficiently. But that won't be for a little bit, as everything is working. I just want to do it since it's a little bit messy as it is right now.

Enjoy :)
    Updated to v3! Get your automated ICS root on!! :D Please post feedback so that I know how it's working and PLEASE let me know if you're on ICS or HC (build number, please!). If someone has a good write-up or post with driver install info, that would be great. I would like to put it in the 2nd post for users who need help!
    Can you share step by step instructions as to how you did it. It will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Firts I downloaded the unlock tool here.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1510760

Than you have to set up ADB.
    See here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4KSrgi-rE

After that you install CWM with method one from this thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1576937

and than flah root files from this thread

http://goo-inside.me/superuser/Super...ghi-signed.zip

And than you are finished and rooted. :D